Chapter 1

Only You

 

“Byunghee, your singing is so great,” you said with a grin. “It seems like every time I hear you you’ve only gotten better.”

He nodded, smiling like the chipmunk he was. “Thanks, noona. I’ve been practicing a lot lately.”

“I could tell! I never thought you could improve that much. Your voice has always been so amazing, even from the start. And Joon!” You turned to face him. “That solo you have is so cool. I feel so lame saying that, but it’s true. I can’t wait to see you perform it live.” You winked at him.

Joon puffed his chest out in pride, obviously fighting the reddening in his cheeks. “And I didn’t even have to practice.”

“Liar! You’ve been practicing that all week,” Cheondoong accused him. “I saw you in the dorm the other day. You said that you were practicing extra hard because Jihoon-sunbaenim had mentioned that noona was coming today.”

Joon actually blushed this time and nudged Cheondoong. “Shut up. That’s not true.”

Seungho rolled his eyes and mouthed to you, “It is.”

You laughed. “Would you guys perform your number for me one more time?” you asked, eager. There was something about MBLAQ that was just so incredible, and you were so fortunate to know them personally and from time to time actually watch them practice. They had first sung the song for you so you could hear them. Then, they performed the dance with the background track.

Seungho gave you an adorable smile and nodded. “Of course, noona. We can always use the practice,” he added. He gathered them up, and they all got into formation to begin. One of the background dancers hit the play button, and Cheondoong started with his English introduction.

The song was a mix of R&B and pop and hip-hop. It even had an orchestral section. It was indescribably perfect for them. It was just so MBLAQ. You watched enthralled as they all practiced.

Suddenly, you felt an arm around your waist and lips on your cheek. “Hi, babe,” whispered that familiar raspy voice.

“Hi, Jihoon,” you said, not taking your eyes off the guys dancing.

“Have you been waiting long?” he asked, drawing circles on your waist. It normally drove you crazy because you were really sensitive, but the action barely registered.

You shook your head. You were watching Mir’s rap break down intensely. They all suddenly were performing even better, if that was possible. They must have noted their CEO’s entrance and stepped it up.

“Do you want to get lunch now?” Jihoon asked and kissed your jawline.

You held up a hand. “Just wait for a second, babe. They’re almost done,” you said and detangled yourself from his arms.

You heard him sigh loudly. Out of the corner of your eye, you noted him slouching, arms crossed, pout on his face.

You rolled your eyes and trained your attention on MBLAQ. “Have you been working with Seungho recently or something?” you asked. “I feel like his singing has improved so much. I mean, Byunghee’s has, too, but that’s not a surprise. And, oh, my God, Joon’s dancing is just amazing. He’s almost as good as you.”

Jihoon sighed. “Yeah, Seungho and I had a one-on-one vocal lesson a few days ago,” he said, clearly annoyed with the question.

The song drew to an end, and they hit their final poses. You jumped up, squealing and clapping. “It was even better that time!” you exclaimed.

“It’s only because I’m here, babe,” Jihoon declared, standing and wrapping an arm around your waist. He kissed the top of your head.

You turned and glared at him. “They’re really good,” you snapped. “You should be proud of them! They’re really popular! My students talk about them all the time.”

“Ah, noona, no, it’s okay. We always need to improve,” Seungho said, jumping in.

Jihoon pursed his lips. “I’m beginning to think you like them more than you like me,” he said.

You turned to him, shaking your head. “Don’t worry. I’m just a noona fan!” You reached up on your tiptoes and kissed him reassuringly. You could hear the boys behind you catcalling, and you just laughed and ignored them. “Are you jealous?” you asked, poking your tongue out. “Anyway, aren’t we going to lunch?”

He nodded, seeming somewhat satisfied. “We can go to that place around the corner.”

You grinned. “Yum! Oh, wait.” You turned to Seungho. “But have you guys eaten yet?”

He glanced at Jihoon then back at you and shook his head barely. He bowed apologetically. “But it’s okay. We need to practice some more,” he said.

You looked up at Jihoon, who was clearly giving him a death glare. “You stop that,” you said, lightly smacking him on the chest. You turned back to Seungho and smiled. “I insist. You all should join us for lunch.”

“No, no, noona, it’s okay,” Seungho said, shaking his head.

“Pleeeease?” you asked, practically begging. They really looked like they needed a break. You looked up at Jihoon. “They’ve been practicing for hours! Besides, it’s not like we’ll be gone long. You had a meeting or something in an hour.” You kissed his cheek. “We’ll have dinner just the two of us anyway.”

He frowned and finally nodded, agreeing to your request. “Fine. We’ll all go,” he said.