Stay.

Behind the Wooden Door

 

Fear was all I felt. The darkness was too overwhelming and I could not think straight. If I could kill myself now, I would.

It felt so wet in here.

Heck, even the air smelt wet.

“I cannot break down and cry right now, right here. I am a strong girl, I will never, ever break down in front because of her.” I tried convincing myself. I should’ve known a girl like her chould not be trusted. All she ever cared for was fame and I thought that she helped me out of sincerity. I was so stupid, why did I fall for her trap? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

“HEY! ____! WHERE ARE YOU?” Someone screamed. Heavy footsteps and heavy breathing was heard? Was that person running? Wait, was it him?

“____! ____! Are you here? Answer me! Aish?! She told me she was here.” He hissed while swearing. Gosh! I can imagine him pulling his soft brown curls while pursing his lips.

Panic came into my mind again as I suddenly heard nothing. Snapping away from my thoughts, I quickly pound against the old wooden door. HARDLY. “Here! I’m in here! Don’t leave me!”

After not hearing any response for a few minutes, I felt a lump rising in my throat. Tears were threatening  to spill and as I could not hold it anymore, tears flowed out for the first time throughout the camp. Or should I say, the humiliation.

“____?”  Someone murmured softly. My head snapped towards the direction of the door as I heard the voice.

“Kyu- Kyuhyun?”

“Oh my! You’re in the janitors closet? Who did this to you? I should go to find for the adult-in-charge.” As soon as Kyuhyun heard me, he started to rant on what he should do.

“Wait! Wait! Don’t go, stay with me.” I half whispered desperately. As if he could sense my discomfort. He agreed and then I heard a sliding sound against the door. I guess he chose to sit by the door.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes until he spoke up

“ So, who locked you in? That was really nice of her. Or him.” Sarcasm.

“I think you can guess who, since oh well, you’ve been asking me to stay away from her since the camp started.”

“ Oh…” and then we kept quiet again.

Know why she did that to you? Kyuhyun sounded like he was controlling himself from bursting into flames.

But why?

“I think so.”

Silence.

The last activity for the camp was to partner up with a person to perform something. Dancing, singing, story-telling, anything. Since the humiliation I got from the activity beforehand, no one dared to pair up with me. Except Kyuhyun. He walked towards me boldly and asked me to partner with him.

“ I’m not asking you to partner with you so that I could help you out from your humiliation. I just think that you have the potential to help me in what I’m planning to do.”

That was what he said.

No point saying no to him since he could be real stubborn. And I really needed a partner.

 When we were discussing about our performance, I thought for sure he was going to ask me to sing a duet with him. But he shocked me with his suggestion.

“ Why don’t we do Latin dance?”

Dance? Since when can Kyuhyun dance? He can only sing. He defines singing.

A look at my face and Kyuhyun snapped at me.

“ Yah! Excuse me! I do learn Latin dance okay? I’ve been learning this since 7.”

“ Wha- what?” He. Can. DANCE.

“ Stop gaping at me like a goldfish. Now, let’s go find Miss Linda to help us with our choreography.”

“You can’t force me to do that Kyuhyun, I can’t dance.”

“ Yes you can dance. No need to protest, when I say yes, it means yes.”

So that’s how we started to practice for Latin dance for hours long. To be honest I was not that nervous when I had to stare at myself in the mirror and follow Miss Linda’s steps as gracefully as possible. In fact, Miss Linda praised me for being so graceful.

But when I had to hold onto Kyuhyun’s hand and place my hands on his shoulders as he wrapped one of his arm on my waist, I felt the cocoons in my stomach, growing up into butterflies. I was suddenly feeling self-conscious. Were my palms sweaty? Were my cheeks the colour of red roses?

Stop staring at my feet and look into my eyes. That is the most important thing when it comes to Latin dancing, eye contact. Kyuhyun snapped at me.

Oh sorry.

And I guessed Kate saw our dancing and she got furious. Real furious that she tricked me and locked me into the janitor’s closet.

Typical prank I know, but I fell for it.

“ So? ____? Do you mind telling me.”  Oh well, earth to me myself.

“I don’t think that you would want to know about it.” Suddenly shivering, I sneezed.

“You must be feeling cold. I feel sorry for you. If I could transfer some warmth to you through the door, I would be glad to do so.” Kyuhyun murmured.

I blushed crimson red at his words. No good.

“ Hey! Do you mind telling me about your horse? What’s her name? Stella?”

The mention of Stella made me smile and I started to blabber to Kyuhyun about her. From Stella’s first time in the stable to how I was asked to take care of it, feeding it and sharing my joy and sorrows with him.

Too absorbed with my story, I suddenly fell onto the floor as I was leaning against the wooden door. Kyuhyun held the door open and stared at me, trying to stifle a laugh. I was going to slap his feet when he suddenly pulled me into his tight embrace.

Imagine being hugged by fluffy teddy bear, well maybe with a more toned chest and broad shoulders. I felt good, too good until I would not want to let go until I heard someone fake coughing. Pulling out of Kyuhyun’s embrace, I scratched my head in embarrassment and smiled at Miss Linda.

Thanks for coming with the keys, Miss Linda. Kyuhyun said.

Well now, I think both of you will have to head back to your rooms and sleep. You all have a performance tomorrow right?

Before I could say anything to Miss Linda, Kyuhyun greeted her a goodnight and pulled me with him.

“ Come, I’ll walk you to your room.” He smiled.