Always There...

Always There...

Donghae sat under a big willow tree in the back of the school. The soft wind caressed his cheeks as it slightly ruffled his hair. He let out a shaky sigh. Yet again, another of his relationship was stopped and broken. He was sure that the girl he’s been dating is the one but it turned to be proven incorrect for the nth time through his high school career.

Donghae knew, for a fact, that no matter how hard he tried he could never save his relationships. Donghae wasn’t ugly. In fact, it was quite the opposite. He was handsome. His face carved with perfect masculinity: brown eyes, soft hair, thin lips, and chiseled body figure. Donghae was a modeled student with outstanding grades. His looks and intelligence had a bonus for being the fit team captain for the school soccer team, winning multiple games.

Heaving another sigh, he stood up and made his way towards the dorm. Slowly, he unlocked the door and gave a light push. The room was not dark but wasn’t considered bright either.

Donghae wasn’t alone. On the other side was his best friend and roommate, Lee Hyukjae. His roommate looked at him. His eyes looked tired as it traveled to Donghae’s figure.

He and Hyukjae have been friends since grade school. The two were great friends, knowing almost everything about each other. They had found the massive list of similarities and got along, almost like real brothers.

Donghae slumped next to his friend and leaned his weight against the latter. Hyukjae wasn’t surprised. He was used to the skinship that Donghae always did. Hyukjae knew Donghae was upset. The news of his breakup spread like wildfire.

“Where were y-“Hyukjae paused and decided to rephrase what he was about to ask. “Never mind… Are you okay?”

Donghae diverted his eyes to Hyukjae, who looked at him with kind eyes. His almond shape eyes were clouded with worry and Donghae kind of felt bad. He would always go to Hyukjae for any kind of problem and his friend would just sit and listen without a single complaint.

“Yeah”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“What’s there to talk about? It’s the same old thing for the past three years…”

Hyukjae lightly pushed Donghae out so he could properly face him. “Donghae-yah…How many years have we been friends?”

Donghae’s eyebrows connected. “More than eleven years.”

“Exactly! You pabo! I know when you’re sad.”

Donghae looked at Hyukjae with cold eyes. “So? It’s not like you can stop me from feeling like this! You don-!”

Hyukjae’s eyes widened. Donghae almost never shouted him like that. Did he not know how Hyukjae would worry about him?

Donghae bit his tongue. . He saw how Hyukjae’s eyes brimmed with unshed tears that were slowly building. Donghae leaned his head on Hyukjae’s slim shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” Donghae muttered. “I-I didn’t mean to, I-“

“It’s fine.” Hyukjae whispered. “I know you didn’t mean to.”

Donghae sighed and closed his eyes. “Can we stay like this for a while?”

Hyukjae hummed in reply. He wanted to let Donghae know that he was there for him.

~~~

The next day was boring. Donghae sat in his math class, bored out of his mind. Donghae looked at the teacher who merely blabbed on about stuff he already knew. His wish to stop the madness was granted when the bell signaled the adult male that it was lunch time, to allow the teens run free for forty minutes.

“Yah!” A voice momentarily stopped Donghae from packing. It was Heechul, his hyung from childhood. “Where were you yesterday?!  You ing decide to disappear all a sudden and come back now?!”

Donghae looked at him and laughed sheepishly. “Sorry, hyung, I just wanted to be alone.”

Heechul softened his glare. “That doesn’t mean you can just take off without telling us!”

Donghae was confused at the word ‘us’. Before he could ask, Leeteuk, another one of his hyungs, barged in.

“Hyukjae fainted!” He frantically spat out through gasping breaths.

Out of instinct, Donghae shot out of the classroom towards the school infirmary. His legs briskly brought him to the destination. Donghae hastily opened the door to find the place empty. Where’s the nurse? Where was Hyukjae?

Donghae was about to walk out when he saw how the curtains were closed. That means that someone was in the room.

Donghae walked deeper into the place. There he was. Hyukjae was tucked in the white sheets of the infirmary bed. His chest slowly rises and falls, indicating that he was in deep sleep.

Donghae ambled to Hyukjae’s side. His head brushed against his friend’s forehead. It was warm. Hyukjae was having another fever.

Donghae heard the door open. In went Heechul and Leeteuk. “I told him to not go to search for you but he just refused to.”

Donghae was confused and Heechul took his turn to speak to him. “That’s the reason why I yelled at you earlier.”

“Hyukjae looked all over the school to find you, Donghae. He was scared that you would have too much negative thoughts running through your head. He went to search for three hours, forgetting how chilly the weather could be.” Leeteuk elaborate. “He even forgot to take his sweater with him and he looked like he hasn’t slept a wink yesterday.”

Donghae’s chest felt heavy. He caused Hyukjae to be that anxious? He didn’t mean to get Hyukjae sick. Donghae forgot how bad Hyukjae’s immune system was. Hyukjae was strong physically; but health wise, he was worse than Heechul or Leeteuk.

“Donghae,” he looked at Heechul. Donghae has never seen such seriousness in his hyung’s eyes before. “Snap out of it.”

Donghae furrowed his eyes in slight confusion. Heechul sighed before continuing. “Have you ever noticed Hyukjae?”

“What?” Scratch that, Donghae was really confused.

“Hyukjae.” Heechul repeated. “Have you noticed Hyukjae before?”

Donghae looked at his hyung with disbelief. “Of course, I notice him.”

Leeteuk shook his head. “Chullie doesn’t mean it like that.”

“What do you mean?” Donghae asked.

“Chullie means that while you’re going through heartbreaks… Have you ever noticed Hyukjae?”

Donghae’s eyebrows meet once more. He never really thought about Hyukjae at those times. Hyukjae was his pillar where he could gladly lean upon. Hyukjae never said anything. He was always comforting, always so kind to take care of him. He remembered how Hyukjae stayed with him for hours whenever he had a bad time, not only during break-ups.

Donghae realized what his hyungs were talking about. Hyukjae was always there. No matter what situation it was, his best friend always stood by his side, giving a lovely smile and telling him comforting words.

“Why?” Donghae blurted. Why would Hyukjae go through all that for him? 

Heechul frowned. "Are you playing with me or are you seriously stupid?!"

Leeteuk held Heechul in place before he could explode. "Use that pretty head of yours to think!"

Hyukjae always looked at Donghae with kind eyes, like how a lover would... What?! "D-does he like me?"

"Bravo! The stupid goldfish solved the puzzle! Hip hip hooray!" Heechul sarcastically stated, earning an elbow in his ribs. "Yah! What gives you the right to do that?!"

Leeteuk glared at Heechul to be quiet. "Donghae," Leeteuk's motherly voice broke Donghae's daydream. "You now know how Hyukkie feels for you. But are you willing to love him back?"

Donghae didn't know. He didn't mind Hyukjae being homoual but could he be the same? Could Hyukjae be his other half? Was that why he could never find a perfect 'girlfriend'?

Leeteuk patted Donghae's shoulder and dragged Heechul with him, leaving Donghae to his thoughts. 

~~~

Hyukjae open his eyes to meet brown hair. Donghae?

It was Donghae. Why was he in the infirmary? As Hyukjae's curiosity rose, Donghae stirred in his sleep. Drowsily, his eyes met Hyukjae's curious ones. 

Donghae quickly enveloped Hyukjae in a hug. Hyukjae let out a small squeak of surprised. He wondered if anything happened when he was out. 

"Thank you." Donghae muttered. Hyukjae tried to push away, feeling his cheeks warm up, but Donghae wouldn't budge. 

"Thank you, " Donghae repeated. He pushed slightly away, hands still around Hyukjae's waist. He looked deeply into his best friend's eyes. Hyukjae's hurt beated a mile a minute. "Thank you for always being there for me."

The thank-you was overwhelming Hyukjae. Why was Donghae being so intimate when he just wanted to express his gratitude?

Hyukjae felt soft lips swiftly pecking his left cheek. Huh? What just happen?

In a blink of an eye, Donghae escaped, leaving Hyukjae speechless along with a tomato face.

Hyukjae touched his cheek, asking himself the same question: what just happened?

~~~

Donghae was back at the dorm room. His own heart beating erratically, cheeks slightly tinted.

 I guess I have an answer. 

A/N: I wonder if I'm sane. What the heck did I just write?! IDK Sorry for the crappiness. Thanks for reading anyway....