01: Latte.

Caffeine

 

끝나버린 우리 Story 담긴 펼쳐지고 (And when I close my eyes, the book of our finished story opens)

 

I’ve been cooped up in here for almost a whole day now. Sometimes, I don’t know how I last staying in here and not leaving until I’m sure the song sounds perfect. Perks of being a meticulous composer, I suppose.

 

I close my eyes, rub my temples and replay the composition one last time. The melody finally plays flawlessly, much to my relief. I can finally save the work and head home. I thank the heavens for letting the equipment and the song file finally cooperate with me as I pack up my things. I can’t believe it took me almost twenty-four hours to get that done. Now I’m wondering how much time it will take for me to actually complete the song.

 

Sleep. I can finally get myself some decent sleep, even for just a night. The file finishes saving, without the program crashing. The heavens must pity me at this point. I pack up my laptop and shove it in its sleeve, grab my phone and head out the studio. I press the elevator button impatiently; it’s not obvious how much I really want to get out and have a twelve-hour break. The elevator arrives and I get in. It’s getting pretty late and there’s hardly anyone left in the building. I step out the elevator on the ground floor and stop in my tracks as I face the door. Well I definitely didn’t expect the rain tonight.

 

Well isn’t this just my luck.

 

I forgot my umbrella, great. I’m definitely not braving the rain and risk getting sick. Then again, I’m definitely not staying the night here. It feels great knowing the world is so against you getting decent sleep on a nice bed after falling asleep on an office chair for the past couple of days. Sometimes I question the extent of how much I love my work when it leaves me suffering like this.

 

I didn’t realize that I had been standing there long enough for the very few people at the company café to realize I was there. It looks like it was closing time for the café, judging from the fact that there were just two people left, both of which were busy cleaning up the place. One of the two had just left the place, and I remembered how frustrated I was with myself for forgetting to bring an umbrella again.

 

Great, this is just great. I turn back and press the elevator button, planning to head back up to the studio and I heard someone clear their throat. I look back and I see the last employee of the café looking at me and holding up an umbrella. “I don’t think you’d like to spend another night up there, so here.” She said with a smile.

 

I look back at her, slightly bewildered. Did she just read my mind? The elevator hasn’t arrived yet so I might as well continue this conversation. “What about you?” I asked.

 

“I’ll be fine.” She replied with a brighter smile. Wow I’ve never really talked to anyone I don’t really know recently, to be honest. As weird as it sounds, this girl’s smile has something that makes me want to actually keep talking to her. “The bus station isn’t that far anyway.”

 

I can’t just take her umbrella and leave her to walk under the rain like that. I shake my head and let out a small chuckle. The elevator arrives with a ring, but I don’t get in. I think I’d rather stay down here and wait for the rain to stop. “You’re not getting in?” She said, keeping that smile of hers. I shake my head again and watch the elevator doors close.

 

“I think I’ll just wait for the rain to stop a bit.” I replied. As much as I want this day to be over, it looks like it won’t end just yet. So far the only thing good that has happened is my files finally cooperating and this girl and her smile.

 

“Do you want me to make you some coffee?” She offered. Well I guess I could use a little energizer so I nodded and watched her turn around and called her attention before she walked over to the café counter.

 

“Hey,” I said. She turned back and looked at me expectantly. “I don’t think I caught your name.” She looked kind of surprised at first. Is it because she knows who I am? But then she smiled again. And she told me her name before she disappeared in the kitchen.

 

“Seulmi.”

 

She was beautiful, to say the least. She was making coffee, but she looked like she loved every single moment making it. How did I not notice her when I’m always in the same building? Then again it’s hard to scan each and every face in this café especially when the enthusiastic fans start to take things to a higher level when we pass by. Doesn’t she get mistaken as a trainee here, though?

 

“One caffè latte for Junhyung!” I heard her call out from the counter. I hadn’t realized I had been spacing out again until I heard her call my name. I woke myself up from my own trance and walked over to the counter, claiming the cup of warm coffee. I took out my wallet to pay for my drink, but she stopped me, saying something about always wanting to treat a celebrity to some coffee. At this point, I’m not sure if she’s trying to be funny or if she really meant that. She took the other cup after placing money in the cash register and stepped out and stood beside me on the opposite side of the counter.

 

“So is there going to be a Beast comeback soon?” She asked.

 

“I’m afraid I’m unable to disclose such information.” I answer. I see her shoulders drop from the corner of my eye, and I let out a soft chuckle. “Were you going to tell the other fans on the Internet?”

 

“If I say no, will you tell me?” She replies in a playful tone. I laugh and glance at her. I shake my head as she gives me some kind of hopeful puppy dog eyes look. I have to admit, she really is pretty cute. I break eye contact with her and turned back to watch the rain outside; suddenly I don’t find myself cursing at my fate and myself anymore.

 

I have no idea how long we stayed there, but we talked until the rain stopped, much to my surprise. I would normally have gone back up to the studio and go back to my workaholic self, but not this time. We hadn’t realized that the rain had stopped until we both looked out the window, realized how long past midnight it had been. I helped her clean up the corner of the café that we occupied and walked with her to the exit. Once there, she started walking away from me, and towards the bus stop.

 

“Hey,” I called out, and watched her turn her back to look at me. “The coffee was great, thanks.” She smiled and kept walking, while I stood there watching her go, making plans in my head on how I can get to talk to her again. Maybe ask her out, even.

 

하게 된 건지? 내가 뭘 잘못한 건지?우리가 왜 이별인건지도 모르는데. (What happened? What did I do wrong?I don't even know why we said our farewells.)