MARCH 30, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIKWANG

     Life is beautiful, isn't it? It may be a mystery, but it's beautiful nonetheless. Knowing what will happen tomorrow would be boring. Where is the excitement of knowing who you will be meeting and what will happen when you do? There isn't.

     But on this particular day, Gikwang was being a little angsty. It was his birthday today and he was excited to see what his fellow BEAST members had prepared for him. Would they go out to dinner like they did every year? Would they throw a surprise birthday party for him at the dorm? Or would they suddenly have to fly somewhere for work? He hated not knowing. It was during this time that he realized he hated surprises. He desperately wanted to know what was going to happen today.

"Hyung, happy birthday!" Dongwoon was the first to say as Gikwang woke up.

   They were always the first ones to wake up. They worried more about their body shape then sleep, so their was no surprise that even today they were both getting ready to head out to the gym.

"Thanks." Gikwang said with an eye smile.

     It was the beginning of a good day, or at least that was what Gikwang was hoping it to be.

"Ready?" Dongwoon asked as they both headed towards the door.

     He nodded a yes to him and quickly headed out. It felt like any other day, honestly, it didn't even feel special to him anymore. He was excited earlier but as he walked into the gym he realized no one there would know it was his birthday. No one there would congratulate him for growing another year older. No one.

     He exercised for more than two hours, thinking that two hours would be enough time for s to conjugate some kind of surprise for him when he got home. Dongwoon didn't seem to protest when Gikwang suggested to stay a little longer and that only helped boost Gikwang's expectations. Was he really going to get a surprise when he got back to their dorm?

     Finally, after hours of intense training, Dongwoon and Gikwang made their way back home. It was now around noon and that was a reasonable time for the members to be up. Gikwang quickly unlocked the door and made his way inside with Dongwoon trailing in behind him. The first thing he noticed was Yoseob, who was sprawled across the living room floor.

"Yoseob, where are the others?" Gikwang asked as he looked around at the eerily empty dorm.

"Doojoon and Junhyung had to go film their dramas and Hyunseung said he was meeting up with GD hyung." Yoseob said without a care in the world.

     This threw Gikwang off. What the hell, did the caring Yang Yoseob not remember what day it was? It wasn't like him at all and it angered Gikwang a bit. This day wasn't special at all. Not to him, not to his friends, not to anyone. Not even his family had called yet.

"I'm going to shower now." Gikwang simply stated as he headed to the bathroom.

     He couldn't believe what was happening. Only Dongwoon had wished him a simple happy birthday, but was that it? Was that all he could expect today? Junhyung and Doojoon had left without a word, not even a single text or tweet wishing him a happy birthday. Hyunseung too. Why was Hyunseung going to hang out with GD of all days?

     Gikwang was frustrated and so he decided to go somewhere on his own. He didn't really care where, he just wanted to be out. It was his day off anyway, he was in no way spending this day at home with people who obviously didn't appreciate him.

     He rushed to get ready after coming up with a plan. He was going to the movies first, then a little shopping, and then treat himself to a fancy meal. It sounded so lame to do all these things on his own but he thought of a bright side, he'd get that personal time he has always wanted.

"Where are you going?" Yoseob asked as Gikwang headed towards the door, putting his shoes on and just about ready to leave.

"Out." He said simply.

     It felt weird for him to act so indifferent, especially with Yoseob, but he didn't care at the moment. It was his day, his feelings surpassed everybody else' today. He walked out with a heavy heart and hopped into a taxi cab.

"Where to?" The driver asked.

"The farthest movie theater."

     Once reaching the theater, Gikwang paid the taxi driver and thanked him. He sighed as he stared up the building. It was early, a little too early, to be at a movie theater. Nonetheless, he headed inside. The less people the better, right? He was an idol after all, a well known one at that.

     Like he had predicted, there really wasn't that many people inside. He could see a couple purchasing tickets from a far and then another girl buying what seemed to be a large bucket of popcorn. He smiled at the sight of popcorn. When was the last time he had popcorn? He couldn't recall. The company had him on a strict diet for as long as he could remember.

      Instead of purchasing his movie ticket first, he was more intrigued by the popcorn. There was no one here who would tell him not to eat it anyway. No one has to know, right? Gikwang looked to either side of him and then fixed his sight on the concession stand. He walked towards it, his eyes twinkling, and mesmerized by all the other food the stand had to offer. Somewhere along the way, he managed to bump into something, or more like someone.

"Oof." They both said as they bumped into each other.

     Popcorn had spilled to the ground and they were now both sitting awkwardly on the cold floor. Gikwang looks wide eyed at the stranger and quickly gets up.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?" Gikwang asked as he extended his hand out to help the stranger up.

"Yeah," She looks up at him," I'm fine." She finishes with a faint blush on her cheeks as she takes his hand.

     He easily pulls her up as his eyes are still fixed on her face. She was beautiful; her big brown eyes glowed; her long caramel colored hair cascaded down her shoulder so beautifully; her skin looked fragile enough to break; her cheeks were round. They were cute. He had always been attracted to girls with rounder faces and seeing a girl who fit his ideal type perfectly was hard, and yet, here she was. She was now standing before him, with popcorn stuck in her hair, but she was here nonetheless.

"I should have paid attention to where I was going." She said in a soft voice.

"No, it was my fault. I wasn't paying attention either." He says in return, "Let me buy you a new bucket of popcorn."

"That's not necessary." She insists but Gikwang is not taking no as an answer.

     He quickly picks up the half empty bucket of popcorn that was on the floor and tosses it into a trash can. He then takes hold of her wrist and drags her towards the concession stand.

"One large bucket of popcorn, please." Gikwang orders.

     As the cashier makes a new batch of popcorn, Gikwang eyes the girl who is besides him. She seemed relaxed, not spazzing or freaking out like most girls did when he was around. Did she not recognize him?

"I'm Gikwang, by the way." He introduces himself.

"I'm Vee."

     Vee. It was cute and simple. He repeated her name in his head over and over again as the popcorn popped.

"Are you here alone?" She breaks the silence that was starting to drag.

"Yeah."

"Would you like to join me? I mean- It's just that it looks like a lot of popcorn now for just me. Is it okay if we just share?" She reasons.

     He looked over at the bucket that was now being filled with popcorn and smiled. She was right, it was too big for her alone. Or was that just an excuse to hang out with him a bit longer? Either way he liked it. He actually was ecstatic about it.

     After she and Gikwang agreed on a movie, they silently headed into the theater room. It was a bit awkward but Vee ignored it and tried to pretend that this heavenly male wasn't an idol.

    Yes, she knew. As he helped her up earlier she realized who he was right away. She wasn't trying to take advantage of the situation, she was just a little surprised that he was at a movie theater alone, today of all days. Where was the rest of the group members? Why wasn't he with his family? It didn't make sense to her since it was his birthday after all.

"Oppa- I mean, Gikwang." Vee mumbles as Gikwang smirks.

"It's okay, you can call me oppa." He says with a killer eye smile.

"Oppa," She smiles, "Why are you here alone?" 

"I umm- had nothing to do. Why are you here alone?" 

"I was suppose to meet a friend but she ditched me for some guy." Vee laughs.

"I see. Well I'm glad we bumped into each other or else we'd look really pathetic alone." He laughs along.

    She loved how cute he was as he laughed but Vee couldn't keep quiet anymore. His laugh held a hint of sadness. She wanted to know why he was alone, that excuse of having nothing to do was not good enough for her. 

"Where are the rest of the members?" She probed on purpose.

     He looks over at her in shock. She knew him? He was worried but calm for some reason.

"You know who I am?"

"Who doesn't?" She reasons carefully, "But really oppa, it's your birthday. Shouldn't you be with your family instead of me?" 

"Do you want me to leave too?" Gikwang's anger was starting to rise again.

    Of course he should be with his family and friends, but they were all too busy apparently. He didn't want to hear what he already knew from Vee.

"Oppa, you know that's not what I mean. I was just a little worried." She said with innocent eyes.

"I know, I'm sorry.I guess I'm just mad at the others."

    Vee sits besides him intently and listens to all the things that were frustrating him. There was no one inside the theater room and so they held their conversation throughout the movie as well. Gikwang never noticed how much troubles he had until he realized that he had talked over the entire movie. At the end of the movie, he felt like a heavy weight had been lifted.

"Oppa, I think you should go back to others." Vee says as they walk out of the theater.

"What for?"

"I just think their's some kind of misunderstanding here. I'm sure your entire fan base knows it's your birthday. Why wouldn't the others know?."

"You're probably right but it still doesn't explain why they all haven't said anything yet" He sighs again, "Thank you though, Vee. For listening." 

"No problem," She smiles, "It's the least I could do, plus, it's your birthday."

     Gikwang looks at her then. Her eyes, her smile, he was intrigued by everything.

"Let's go." He says as he confidently takes her hand in his.

"Where are we going?" She asked confused as he pulled her towards a taxi cab.

"To find the others." He stated with a smirk.

     Vee wasn't sure where they were headed and she surely didn't understand why he had dragged her along but she didn't mind at all. She liked Gikwang. Vee had always admired him but seeing him in person and knowing his true personality only made her like him more. She liked how caring and delicate he was. He was impulsive and cautious all at once and that is why she trusted his judgment now. Wherever he was taking her she didn't care as long as he was beside her.

"Hyung!" Dongwoon said as Gikwang and Vee entered BEAST's dorm room.

"SURPRISE!" A large group of people, that consisted of the BEAST members and others, chanted as Gikwang came to view.

"What's going on?" Gikwang asked in shock.

"Happy birthday, Gikwang!" Doojoon walks up to him and pulls him into a big bear hug.

"How? When did you guys prepare this?" Gikwang asked in disbelief.

"We've been waiting for you." Junhyung says as he too pulls him into another hug.

"I thought you guys had a drama shooting? And I thought Hyunseung was with GD?"

"It was just an excuse to go out and buy all the food and stuff. You and your vulnerable self." Yoseob laughed now.

     Vee smiled at the scene. They had fooled Gikwang from the very beginning. I guess 'babo Kwang' was a good nickname for him after all. Gikwang's eyes were wide open in surprise and Vee only found herself liking this side of him too. His cuteness never seemed to stop surprising her.

"I thought you guys forgot."

"You're too easy to fool-oh! You brought a friend?" Yoseob asked as he realized Vee was in the room.

"Oh, yeah," Gikwang blushed, "Guys, this is Vee."

"Hi!" Vee chirps.

"Are you two dating?" Hyunseung asked with a suspicious smile.

"Not yet." Gikwang whispered but, little did he know, they all heard it.

     Vee blushes as she hears it and smiles inwardly. The thought of him wanting her to be his girlfriend was overwhelming but she was ecstatic nonetheless.

"Ohoho, looks like Gikwang already got the best present of the day." Dongwoon laughs.

"Looks like I did." He says as he takes hold of her hand.

     She looks at their intertwined hands before looking up at him. Their eyes met and at that moment they knew that they both felt the same way. Gikwang might not know anything about her as of now but it didn't matter. He had already concluded that she was his dream girl and from here on, he had all the time of the world to get to know her. He wanted to know everything and that alone showed he liked her. He wanted her to be there for every prank s decided to play, for every spare second he had and for every birthday he would have after today.

     They smiled at each other and knew that from this day on they both wouldn't have a reason to spend a day alone. 

"Happy birthday, Gikwang." She whispers to him and his heart skips a beat.

     It is a very happy birthday, isn't it?

======

A/N:

I hope Gikwang has an amazing birthday

surrounded by the people he loves and who

love him in return. I love youuuu !! ♡