2 Left Foot

Ten Minutes of Insanity

 

It's been years. Yes, I'm back to continue writing this,
and I've read everyone's comments.
Your comments made me want to come back to continue this.
Thank you.
It's been years since I wrote the last chapter,
so I don't know how many will read this, but here goes.

 


 

Taehyun should have known something was off about today when he accidentally stepped on a dead bird, crushing its head with his left foot. And, when that homeless old woman who regularly slept in the subway station suddenly grabbed the same foot and stared at him with a blank expression. When a car without a license plate ran a light and hit him unconscious.

 

According to the doctor, it was a miracle that he made it out alive with only a sprained ankle from an accident like that. Apparently, after the car had hit him, it skidded into a bigger accident which led to several casualties and a family of three dead. The driver was a man under persuit by cops for drinking and driving; two rooms down the hall was where the driver was resting in a comatose state.

 

But, none of that registered into Taehyung's mind though. The only question repetitively boggling his mind was that the foot he sprained was his left foot. It probably didn't mean anything, he persuaded to himself so many times only to grimace at the uncomfortable doubt that it probably did mean something.

 

"Hey, you lucky ba-tard" Jimin cheered, sliding opening the door to his hospital room and holding up some flowers in the air.

 

Taehyung jumped a little in surprise and grabbed his chest. "Don't scare me like that, freak. I'm a patient."

 

Jimin laughed and looked at his friend's sprained foot. "Yea, patient, sure." Throwing the flower on Taehyung's lap, Jimin grabbed the remote and turned the tv on across from him.

 

"Anything good?" Taehyun asked as he picked up the flowers and sniffed them.

 

"Nope."

 

An awkward silence.

 

"You know," Jimin mumbled, his eyes still fixed on the electronic box on the wall, "I think I knew this would happen to you."

 

Taehyung raised an eyebrow in confusion.

 

"I mean, I had a dream..." His friend trailed off, putting down the remote. "This weird dream that you were somewhere? Somewhere really dark, and you couldn't get out and kept calling me."

 

"Uh-huh."

 

"You kept saying that your left foot was... something. I don't remember exactly."

 

Another awkward silence.

 

Jimin looked at Taehyun and his casted foot and back at the handsome boy again. "My mom told me that those dreams meant something bad... but I don't remember exactly what she said about that either."

 

"Do you remember anything?" Taehyun frowned as the tingling nervousness filled him up again, and after a moment, Taehyun unravelled everything that happened to him since that morning, starting from the bird up to now.

 

"Woah." Jimin's eyes grew big with surprise... or was that fear? Whichever it was, Jimin didn't know how to comment back.

 

Taehyun threw his hands in the air. "Whatever. It happened, and I'm sure it's done with now. What else can go wrong?"

 

Jimin got off the bed and took a step back. "Oh, man, you really shouldn't say that. You know, in movies when someone says something like that, they--"

 

"Shut up, Jimin."

 


 

That night, Jimin slept over, and by sleeping over, Jimin meant taking up Taehyung's hospital bed, so Taehyun ended up feeling cramped at the lower corner of the bed.

 

Taehyung couldn't sleep, so he got up and looked at his friend with a sigh before deciding to take a quiet stroll around the hospital and grabbing his crutches.

 

Tap, tap... Tap, tap... Tap, tap... Tap, tap...

 

The hospital was really quiet. A creepy quiet. The kind of quiet that felt like someone was there watching Taehyung's every movement, and the uneven sound of his crutches hitting the hard ground didn't help shake off the strange feeling that someone was following him. Every once in a while, he stopped and turned around suddenly to catch his imaginary stalker off guard, but of course, no one was there.

 

Tap, tap... Tap, tap... Tap, tap... Tap, tap...

 

After a few laps around the hospital, Taehyung felt tired because of the unfamiliar use of crutches and decided to head back to his room to kick Jimin off for a good night rest.

 

Tap, tap... Tap, tap... Tap, tap... Tap--

 

Just a few steps from his room, Taehyung spotted a dark figure at the other end of the hallway, just standing there. Not moving at all.

 

Why?

 

If it was movie, then he could have figured that it was just another patient killing time just like him, but the figure just stood there.

 

Taehyun continued cautiously towards his room.

 

Tap, tap... Tap, tap...

 

Wait. Taehyun stopped again. As he got closer to his room and the unknown figure, he could make out that the person was wearing a large hospital gown that reached past its knees, but didn't patients usually wear those right before a surgery? It definately wasn't something any of the patients wore on a regular basis.

 

Or, maybe he was overthinking it.

 

Tap, tap... Tap, tap... Tap, tap...

 

'Almost there.' Taehyun was just thinking when suddenly the shadow made a movement. It was running. No, more like limping at a fast speed towards him. It was limping its left foot.

 

". . ." Taehyung panicked as he throw his crutches in the figure's direction and skipped into his room, closing the door behind him. "Jimin, wake up, Jimin." He called desperately for his friend as he skipped towards the bed, only to find that his friend wasn't there, and that feeling came again. The one that someone was watching him.

 

Taehyun turned around, and dropped his jaws in a silent scream as he saw that the door--he was certain that he closed--was open.

 

He couldn't see the dark figure, but that scared him even more.

 

"Jimin..." The boy whispered, hoping he would suddenly show up next to him to comfort him with even just his existence. Why the hell didn't he turn on the lights. That was the first thing he should have done when he closed the door, but he didn't.

 

In the dark, he continued scanning for any movements.

 

Flush~

 

The sound of the toilet flushing in the restroom outside the room down the hallway, and after a moment, Jimin showed up at the door of the room. When he spotted Taehyung frozen in the middle of the dark room without his crutches, Jimin raised an eyebrow. "You... okay...?"

 

Taehyung nodded after scanning the room again, and he fell back onto his bed in relief.

 

The next day, he told his friend about what happened, but Jimin just laughed, convinced that it was from lack of sleep, and Taehyung immediately requested to be discharged the very same day. In the end, he never figured out who or what the shadowy figure was, but he was certain that if it wasn't for Jimin... He didn't even want to think about it.

 


 

Uh, I wrote the first half of this chapter about five years ago,
and completely forgot how I wanted to end this,
so I don't know what's up with the left leg thing. Haha.
But, I wanted to finish it, so I kinda squeezed something out,
and sorry... it turned out to be crap lol.

Anyways, I'll try harder on the next chapter!! :)
Thanks for reading.