LETTERS TO HEAVEN

LETTERS TO HEAVEN

 

               

 

 

                As usual, I wake up early in the morning to get ready for another day ahead of me. After washing up, cleaning the house and even doing the chores, I still have plenty of time before I off to work. It’s a routine of mine. I walk to my desk and grab my pen and papers. With a smiled plastered on my face, I starts writing the letter to him.

 

 

                The person I’m talking about is my fiancée or soon to be husband but he’s not around anymore. He’s at a very faraway place that we can reach or see but we know it’s there – heaven! Yes, he’s long dead but still I wrote the letters like I used to back when we still getting to know each other. That’s the only way to get rid of this feeling in my heart – longing. It’s been 5 years now after that day. I still remember those memories as if it was only yesterday.

 

 

Dear oppa...

 

Chalcinesso?

 

 

                I started of my words and soon my words fill the pages. I fold the paper and put it into the fancy envelope before sealing it. I look at the watch. “Omo! I’m going to be late!” I gasped in seeing the time flies away. Quickly, I grab my bag and dashed out of the house. I flit out of my house lawn and making a quick stop at the usual place. There are two cute mailboxes just outside my gates and I put the letter into one of them before rushing to my workplace.

 

“Morning Chae. You’re late!” Jin woo oppa greets me as he was doing his duty as a postman in our small town.

 

“I know~!” I whine after bowing at him. As I was carelessly looking into my bag checking if I left something in the house I accidentally bumped into a person and just like that, letters and papers scattered everywhere. “I am so, so sorry!” I exclaim and kneel down to help the guy picking up his things. He just calmly takes the letters and put it into his back. I couldn’t see his face as his cap covered his face. He bows before he left me. I just looked at the guy gone to the corner to my house direction. Hmm... I think I’ve seen him before. “Oh, no! Now I’m so dead!” I looked at the watch and start running.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

                I arrived in front of the house and picks up the letter from the mailbox. It’s her again with her letter to him. He must be a lucky guy. Even though he’s dead, someone actually remembers him. And she’s doing it every day too. I just stared at the name before putting it into my bag. This is my last destination before I went to send these things to their rightful owners. I walk up to a hill where a big old oak tree sticks firmly on the ground. Slowly I approach the tree trunk where there’s a hole beneath it. I open my bag and put the valuables in it. The tree then shines and the things then turned into doves and they flew up to the sky meeting with their rightful owners.

 

Well, there is always this one dove that didn’t fly straight to heaven. And I don’t know which one of the things is it. I was puzzled the first time I seen such thing but then it becomes a usual thing for me. The doves usually stick around at the tree branches and there’s plenty of them hanging out together now.

 

Yes, I’m a postman of heaven. I’ve been wondering for a long time before I was hired to do this job. I was lost. I didn’t know who am I and obviously I don’t know what I am anymore. But for sure, I’m not human since they can’t see me.

 

 

Wait...

 

 

Human can’t see me!

 

 

Then why does she can??

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

                “Urgh... My head!” I groans as I pressed my alarm off. Last night I had too much drink. It’s all because of my co-workers pushing me to drink with them and I can’t refuse since I already refuse to them so many times before.

 

“Haccu!!” I sneezed. I felt my head is heavy as I walk to the bathroom. Just to be sure, I make a de tour to the kitchen and find my health kit. “38.9°C? Great...” I put the thermometer back into it’s place. And now, I’m officially sick. Thank you my fellow friends. I sighed and walk straight to the bathroom. Taking a bath probably going to make the fever comes down.

 

“39??” my eyes shot open as I looked at the thermometer readings. Oh, bummer. Looks like I’m taking my day off. After I make a call to the office, I basically walk to my room and eat my medication. Weakly, I make my way to the desk to write.

 

 

Oppa, how are you doing today?

 

I got a fever and I’m taking my days off at home. What are you doing over there? Perhaps are you dancing? Or maybe listening to music? I know, I know! You’re singing right? Kekeke! I’m right aren’t I?

 

Oppa, I missed you so much today. No, today is different. I missed you more than yesterday and the day before. I wish I can see you one more time. No, I’m not kidding! I’m going there if I have too! Okay, fine... I’m joking. You wouldn’t permit me to do so, right? Since I owe you my life so, I have to cherish this life of mine for you. ^__^ <3

 

Oppa, saranghae! Muah3x!

 

 

                Again, I sealed the envelope and grabbed my cardigan before heading out to the mailbox to put the letter in. As I walk back into my house I suddenly got a hunch of peeping at the mailbox to see how many letters have I sent to him. Let’s see... There’s probably a hundred now? No, no... It’s should be more. But know that I think about it, ever since that day till today my mailbox never full.

 

“HUH??” I frowned as I looked into the mailbox. Nothing is there except for the letter that I newly write. What’s going on?? As I stood there thinking, I felt the fever effects me so badly. I started to felt dizzy and suddenly I lose control of my body. Slowly, I felt myself fall backwards but then I grab onto my gates and stabilize. So much for the thinking, I need to get some sleep now and with that I walk into my house.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

                As I arrived in front of the house, I saw the girl looking into her mailbox. She probably thinking her head off now seeing her letters is gone for the past years. Tsk,tsk,tsk... Why did she only notice that now? So, I just stood there watching her watching her mailbox. Waiting for her to leave and take her letter again. I mean that’s my job right?

 

                All of a sudden, I noticed that she loses her balance and I tried to help her but I halts after seeing that she manage to hold onto the gates and walk into the house. Sighed... I guess, she’s sick or something. I decide to shrug it away and took the letter with me. And now, I’m off to the big oak tree.

 

                So, you must be wondering what else I do after doing my deliveries. Well, basically I do nothing. I just sit under the tree looking up to the sky most of the times. Sometimes, I wonder around the town just looking for extra things to be delivered to. See, I told you I did nothing. When I arrived at the oak tree the doves choos in seeing me. Well, that’s what they do every time they see me. So, I just put the things into the hole. There’s a time capsule, even dolls and jewellery and lastly her letter. Today isn’t just like any other day. My deliveries just got sudden drop.

 

                They must have been settling down after they sent their last memories to their loved one and started to forget. I just looked at the doves flying away from the tree. And again, there’s one that didn’t want to fly away. I just stared  at it for awhile before it actually flew! And what’s shocking are, the other dove tails right behind it! Curious, I ran after the doves.

 

“What?” I stop as the doves landed down at the familiar place.

 

“What happen??” the girl comes out from her house. Quickly, I hide myself to prevent her from seeing me. Hey, why am I hiding?? She can’t see me. The other day was just a coincidence! I nod and walk out from my hiding place and just looked at her with her confused face by the doves visit.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

                What’s up with today? Why are these doves here? I didn’t know there are so many doves here before! I just looked at my lawn full of the white- winged friends. Suddenly, they flew away which really startling the hell out of me. But then I saw someone watching me as the doves flew away. Our eyes meet. Is it really him? I felt tears about to burst from my eyes.

 

My wish just came true. Oppa, thank you for showing up! I couldn’t hold on and just flopped to the ground crying.

 

I missed you!

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

I pants after a long run back to the oak tree. The doves are back too. I know she saw me just now. I knew our eyes meet. I can feel it. I touched my chest as I felt something almost pops out from it. What is this feeling? I never felt anything like this before... I looked up to the branches where the doves are and start thinking. Are she and I probably related somehow in the past? But why can’t I remember anything? Who am I exactly?

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

I woke up a bit late today since it’s weekend. I took a morning stroll after finishing all my basic routine and of course writing the letter too. I walk into a bookstore store to buy my writing supplies – papers and envelopes that were already finished at my house.

 

“Coming to buy your monthly supplies are you Chaerin?” Sean the store owner asked me as I walk to the counter to pay. Jin Woo oppa is also there, chatting with him.

 

“Yup. I didn’t know that it was finished till this morning.” I replied. “Ah, oppa!” I turned to Jin Woo oppa. He looked at me as I called him. “Did you take my letters?” I asked him since he’s the only postmen in my town so I better ask him directly.

 

“What letter? You mean the letter you wrote to him??” he blinked in confusion. “I didn’t take it. I never thought of taking it.” he confessed. I know. That was so stupid of me to ask him like that. Since he knew the story so he knew that the recipient can’t be reach no matter what you do. “Why did you ask, Pudong-ah?”

 

“Oh? Notthing. It’s just all the letters that I write aren’t in the mailbox.” I told them. Sean and Jin Woo stared at each other.

 

“Maybe it was being delivered.” Sean breaks the awkward silence. The three of us just laughed at the thought. “I mean really. Who know right?” he adds and that really made me think my whole way back home. I stop as I saw a guy standing in front of my house. What is he doing?? HUL!! He’s taking my letter!! I gasped. Hey, I’ve seen him somewhere and peer my eyes looking at the familiar bag and cap.

 

It’s the guy that I bumped into! I just stood there watching him before he left with my letter. Then, I decided to follow him. It surprised me as I travel to unfamiliar road that seems to be hidden by other people as I trail him up to the hill. I didn’t dare to move closer so I just stand from a far but still can see what he doing clearly.

 

I saw him opening his bag and put some random things into the tree and just like that doves flying up to the sky. What is he doing? I still couldn’t figure anything out. But I definitely saw my letter is among the things he put into it. Stealthily, I approach to the guy and clear my throat.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

I was so shocked in seeing the girl standing behind me. I never saw this one coming. I stood on my feet and fix my cap trying to cover my eyes. I can’t look properly at her after what happen. “Chogiyo...” she calls me and I lift my head enough just to see her but still covering myself pretty well. “Why are you taking my letters?” she asked.

 

What?? She saw me?! Okay, that was so not cool. What am I suppose to do in a time like this? I just stiffens in my spot, could say a word to her and she seems to be so curious about my look as she bend her head to look underneath my cap. I just bend my face downward and even cover half of my face with my jacket collar.

 

“You better tell me before I start screaming!” she threatens me. Great, what a troublesome girl I got here.

 

“Okay, fine. Don’t shout will you?” I finally open my mouth but when I look back at her, her face is full of shocked. What did I just say to her? I didn’t say something rude didn’t I? I frowned. As she keep staring at me I saw the tears started to accumulate at the edge of her eyes. O-oh! What just happen??!

 

 

*DOVES COOS AND FLEW ENCIRCLING THE TREE*

 

 

I tried to avoid the doves as they flew around the tree and apparently, me! What is going on?!

 

“Oppa!” I heard her as if calling me with teary eyes. Is she really calling me?? What...who am I to her??

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

As if the spell is broken, the doves turned back into letters before changing into small light balls of memories from the letter and penetrates into the guy as the girl stood watching the whole thing.

 

For the past 5 years, he has been wondering without any memories of his own and that’s how he begins to be the heaven’s postmen. The guy opens his eyes after his memories being recovered back and he looked at the girl in front of her.

 

“Hunchae...” he smiled at her and takes off his cap revealing his Mohawk hair and his smiling eyes. The girl ran into his embrace and cried. He just pats her head and kissed her dearly. It came back to him, his memories on how he ends up that way and he never regret it. Not one bit.

 

It was just the day before their marriage, the two still having things to do and both just walk together to buy their things. It was raining when the two crossed the dark road together. Under the umbrella, they keep smiling and laughing to each other as he teases her and that’s when it happens.

 

Chaerin lost her phone in the middle of the road and she turned back to get it. A huge truck speeds down the road as the driver failed to notice the red lights. In seeing the speed accelerating truck coming to her way, the guy jumps in and pushed her to the side of the road.

 

A loud bang and the frictions from the tires wake the sense of Chaerin and her eyes darted to the truck which now pulls up. The driver comes out from the trunk and immediately kneeled down after knowing that he hits a person.

 

“OPPAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!” she screams.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

 

 

 

                The guy releases the girl from her embrace to take a better look at her. He wipes her tears away with his thumbs. “I missed you too, Hunchae...” he told her before he lean in for a kiss. “Remember that I’ll always be here for you. So, live your life Chaerin. I’ll be praying for you from above.” He whispered to her before he fades away. Chaerin just let the breeze plays with her hair. She bends her body and picked one of the letters just by her feet.

 

 

 

From: Lee Chaerin

 

 

 

To: Dong YoungBae

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~ENDS~