Change My Mind

Change My Mind

The sky was cloudy and a dull shade of grey. The pitter-patter of rain on the roof was almost silent, yet the sound echoed throughout the cold house. All the lights were turned off, and no sound could be heard from anyone or anything.

 

They had fought yet again.

Jessica sat on the sofa in her pajama pants and a tank top, her head in her knees, sobbing uncontrollably.  Donghae was in the kitchen, sitting on top of the table. The two were silent for the longest time, not knowing what to say.

Donghae had come home to see his girlfriend in bed with another man.

 

Again.

 

“Jessica, I can’t believe that you-” Donghae trailed off, jumping off of the table, his shoes making a loud smack as they hit the tile. “Do actually you want me? Or are you going to keep leaving and coming back?” Donghae walked over to the couch where Jessica sat, facing her.

“You’re the only one that I want,” she whispered softly.

Donghae just quickly turned away, making his way back to the kitchen. “Then why. Why do you keep cheating? Am I not good enough for you? Is that what this is?” Donghae yelled, sitting on the kitchen table again. Jessica continued crying, listening to the words that her boyfriend yelled at her. She didn’t think that Donghae was good enough, but she didn’t realize how many times he had forgiven her.

“I’m sick and tired of finding you like this. I love you, but how can I know if you really love me. What am I supposed to do?”

Jessica stood up, facing her boyfriend. “I-I thought we were on a break. Donghae, please don’t leave. Please. You don’t know how sorry I am,” Jessica sobbed, her eyes red and puffy as she continued crying with her hands covering her face. Her top was tear stained and her eyes dark with running mascara.

Donghae just shook his head as he walked away from the kitchen to the entry way. “What the hell do you mean, ‘on a break’? What would have given you that idea?”

Jessica opened to speak, but no words came out.

“What do you want from me? Tell me you want me to stay, and I’ll change my mind, just this once. For you, I won’t go.”

Jessica walked towards Donghae, the sound of her slippers dragging across the carpet the only sound in the room. She wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging him from the back while her tears cries calmed “Please stay. I want you to stay Donghae,” she murmured. “Everyone has stopped listening Donghae, but I only want you. I can’t lose you.”

Donghae loosened Jessica’s grip around him and began walking towards the door, a feeling of uncertainty striking him.

Did she really want him?

Is he walking away from someone who really loves him?

 

 

I just… I can’t change my mind. You don’t care.”

Donghae softly opened the door, his head hung low, running out into the rain. Jessica was left there on the ground, sobbing once again. She had realized her mistake.

She lost the only person who really loved her,

The only person who listened to her.

 

 

Donghae kept running and running until his legs were burning with pain. He sat under a nearby tree to keep himself from the rain. He wasn’t sure how far he had run, but it was far enough to get away from his problems for the time being.

Random strangers would pass-by every few minutes, but no one noticed that Donghae sat there, doing his best to not cry himself. He knew that it was the best idea to leave before he got hurt again.

But what hurt more? Was it the betrayal? Or the knowing that the only person who ever loved you just walked right out on you at that moment? 

At that moment, neither of the two really knew.

 

 

But baby if you say you want me to stay, I’ll change my mind.
‘Cause I don’t wanna know I’m walking away, if you’ll be mine.
So baby if you say you want me to stay, stay for the night.
I’ll change my mind.

 


I'm sorry that this was so short. I thought it would turn out longer than this. don't throw things at me please.