Confessions

Enough With the Short Jokes Already

 

Note: this chapter changes POV's again. Hopefully I can stop doing this soon...

 

For the first time that day, I didn’t think I would be able to contain the great amount of emotion that I was feeling. This whole night had been a continuous roundabout of feelings that ranged from happiness, to annoyance, to turmoil, to love, and so on. But nothing could’ve prepared me for this moment.

To have my dad’s piano show in my apartment completely out of the blue was highly unexpected. And I’m pretty sure I would’ve pulled something if I tried to contain my tears of happiness. So I gave up on trying.

Surely this had to be one of the first times that I felt so incredibly elated in a while. Though there were tears currently streaming down my face like someone had set loose a faucet on both of my cheeks, I was filled to the brim with happiness, and was clearly letting everyone know it.

If I wasn’t hugging whoever was next to me in a vice-like grip, I was trying to make coherent sentences through my blubbering, which probably wasn’t the most attractive thing I had ever done in front of someone.

But could you really blame me?

Sure, to someone else, it might’ve just been a dusty old piano. But to me, it was my father’s piano, one of the more sentimental pieces I had of him. Pictures couldn’t really do much justice to a man I didn’t remember much about. Memories and reliving experiences had to make up for him not being there instead, which I was fairly content with.

The feeling of running my fingers across the familiar ivory keys was undeniably surreal. I was afraid that any slight amount of pressure would make it disappear from under my fingertips. But it didn’t, it stayed where it was. For that much, I was glad.

Especially when someone eased me down onto the piano seat and exuberantly told me to play my best cover of an EXO song. Even though it would’ve been near impossible to give a close to accurate cover of any of their songs after only listening to them by ear, I decided that it might be in my best interest to humor them since they had gone through such efforts.

I gave the best execution of the song Angel as I could, most likely messing up a few notes here and there, but it didn’t really seem to matter. I got absorbed in my own little world for a moment, losing myself in the feeling of performing, nearly forgetting that I had an audience. But if the big round of applause they gave once I finished wasn’t any indication, I figured my efforts weren’t all that futile in the end.

If the smile on my face could’ve reached my ears, it probably would have. In fact, the muscles in my face were beginning to get a dull ache in a few places due to the conflicting actions that my muscles were trying to execute at one time. Aside from the slight pain I had in my head from all the tears I tried to hold back (and the tears that I did let out), my cheek muscles were definitely feeling the burn. But in a good way.

I’m almost entirely certain that the lead up events after my small concerto a moment ago would forever be looked back upon as one of my fondest memories in the future.

Sumin and Eun Sae eventually scooted me away from the piano and brought me towards the kitchen table, sitting me in front of a beautifully decorated birthday cake with 20 candles glowing in tandem on top of it. Baekhyun had seated himself at the piano, and gave played his own rendition of the happy birthday song while everyone else sang in various opera and falsetto tones, none of them really being serious in their actions, which made me crack up in laughter.  

After I blew out the candles, and multiple pictures were taken to capture the moment, the cake was cut up, distributed, and devoured just as quickly.

The amount of sugar in the cake took immediate action in giving most of us a hyperactive buzz, since Kai and a few of the others took advantage of the Wii system that they had banded together to get me as a gift (much to my chagrin) to get some of the energy out of the system. The loud noises of bafflement and competition going on in the background was probably enough to make my neighbors hate me for a while after this day, but I doubt anyone could care at the moment.

While I, and a few others just watched from the sidelines with amusement, I felt a small tap on my shoulder that snapped me out of my trance. I looked up to see Baekhyun’s smiling face as he mouthed the words “can we talk?” over the raging competition that was going on in my living room. I smiled back, nodding and rising from the couch to follow him out the door so that we could converse outside without interruption.

Meanwhile, I failed to notice another pair of eyes, looking slightly worried, that followed our movements, and kept their gaze on the door even moments after we had left.

The atmosphere outside was completely different from the warmth of my apartment. The progression further into nighttime gave the air even more of a chill than before, practically leaving me vulnerable to the frosty night air since I had forgotten my jacket inside. Only the hat that Chanyeol had bought for me was doing its job in providing me with protection.

That is, until Baekhyun draped his jacket over my shoulders.  There was a moment of dispute that initiated when I tried to convince him that I didn’t need it. But in the end, I lost, leaving him to smile in victory.

“Wouldn’t want you getting sick on your birthday now would we?”  

“Fine…but if you get cold-“

“Mina, I’m a guy. We should be able to do this much.”

The silence that lingered between us afterwards was fairly comfortable, until I remembered the reason we were out here in the first place.

“So, what did you want to talk about?” I asked.

There was almost an immediate reaction when I could clearly notice a change in Baekhyun’s demeanor. His face visibly paled while he smiled and rubbed the back of his neck uneasily.

“I couldn’t figure out what to buy for you as a present.”

Wait…

That’s it?

Judging by the way he reacted, I thought it was going to be something much more concerning.

“Are you serious Baek? I didn’t need anything in the first place. This party…you guys being here…they were better than any present I could’ve asked for.”

He looked me in the eyes.

“I never said I didn’t get you anything.”

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“Baekhyun, what…now you’ve lost me.”

“Mina just,” he paused, taking in a shaky breath, “just stop talking for a moment, please?”

I nodded, looking at him in concern but keeping my mouth shut.

“My present to you is…a confession.”

My eyes widened in surprise.

“W-what?”

“I’m saying that I like you, Mina.”

…….

Chanyeol’s POV

The suspense was excruciating.

Something was eating me inside. Somehow, I knew Baekhyun was going to confess to Mina. I felt that once that happened, all chances I had with her would be gone. There was no way she would say no to Baekhyun. He practically worshipped the ground she walked on. What girl wouldn’t want a guy like that?

He could give her all of the things that I couldn’t. He would treat her like a queen instead of a bullying target.

I waited too long for this moment. I couldn’t help but think what it would’ve been like if I had acted sooner. If I had just made up with Mina from the start. Maybe if I had, I wouldn’t be feeling as ty as I was right now.

They were only gone for a few minutes, yet I knew the inevitable was probably happening. And now I would have to suffer through them being a couple for god knows how long. Had to witness all of the moments they would share, whispering sweet nothings to each other, kissing, and being one of those picture perfect couples that people were always envious of.

Something that I was always envious of.

Something I wanted to have someday.

But now I guess never would, not unless it was with one person in particular.

…….

Mina’s POV

I literally could not wrap my head around the situation I was in at the moment.

Baekhyun liked me? For real?

I mean, I just thought he was a flirty guy in general, and that his good guy tendencies were normal for him.

Then again, I did have that nagging voice in the back of my mind that sometimes presented me with the idea that Baekhyun might’ve liked me. I just never thought it would be true…

Baekhyun looked entirely relived to have gotten that off of his chest. Though there was now an expectant look on his face.

Oh right, my reply.

I couldn’t even produce one.

My mouth was seriously just gaping open and closed as I tried to formulate some kind of response.

What was I supposed to say?

Sure, I liked Baekhyun. And yeah, I had thought about him in that way before. But then Chanyeol happened, like he always does, and stole my attention away from him. All those times where I tried to put away my feelings and emotions into a tightly sealed box were easily taken advantage of, and brought out again by the boy I hated and loved at the same time. And in return, I couldn’t even think of someone else in the same way. Which was unfortunate, because Baekhyun was really amazing.

But just not for me.

He deserved so much better than me.

“Baekhyun…” I muttered, a painful sentiment clearly evident in my voice.

He held a hand up to stop me, and smiled sadly.

“I know, you can’t return my feelings. I actually knew that from the start. I just…needed to let you know how I felt.”

“And I’m glad you did Baek. And I really really wish I could say I like you too but…I…”

I what? I like your roommate? There was no way I could tell him that.

“…Like Chanyeol? Yeah, I kind of knew that already,” he responded, making me gape at him in surprise.

“How did you…?”

His heartbreaking smile came back again.

“I’ve known for a while actually, because I know he likes you too. My suspicions were only confirmed when he told me about his plans to get your dad’s piano here and throw you a surprise party.”

My heartbeat sped up, once again, at an inappropriate time. Chanyeol set all of this up? But…he hates me doesn’t he? Then Baekhyun’s words finally set in and I scoffed.

“There’s no way Chanyeol likes me. In fact, I think its pretty much the opposite.”

Baekhyun chuckled, but it wasn’t as amused as I wished it would’ve been.

“But you see, that’s the exact same dejected response he’s told me before. That just proves that you two are meant to be together.”

Once again, he had practically stunned me into silence. I wanted to do anything in my power to make this situation better but…in the end, I felt like all I could do was hurt him.

“Baekhyun…”

“Can I just ask one more thing? Did you ever…think about me in that way? At all?”

“…At one point, yes.”

He tried to offer me a genuine smile this time, but it didn’t exactly reach his eyes.

“I see…well anyway, I guess I’ll go back up first,” he said, turning back towards the entrance of the apartment building, but not before hesitating.

He turned back around, stalking up to me and leaning down to place a gentle kiss on my cheek, which must have signified that he was giving up.

“Call me selfish, but maybe with this, you’ll think about me a little bit more.”

“I’ll always think about you, Baek.”

“Yeah but…not in the way I would like you too.”

He must’ve noticed my piteous look, since he pulled my hat over my eyes, “Yah, don’t look at me like that. Don’t you dare feel guilty about falling for someone, and don’t pity me either. I’m a man; I can take this kind of thing. And if it’s any consolation, if it couldn’t have been me, I guess I’m kind of glad that it was Chanyeol. He may not seem like it, but…he’s a good kid.”

And with that final statement, he left me to mull over my thoughts. He made me feel even worse when I moved to give him his jacket back and he still wouldn’t accept it, reusing the excuse that he didn’t want me to catch a cold. It hurt to know that even in times like these, he was still kindhearted.

Regardless of what he told me not to do, I still felt incredibly crappy for what I had just done. I know he told me not to pity him, and I honestly tried not to. But I just felt so…guilty, for a lack of a better word. I’ve always been one who’s wanted to please everyone, ultimately hating it if I let someone down. So there was this confliction of emotions going on inside of me, fighting a battle that couldn’t easily be won. I felt like crying, but I didn’t know what (or who) I would be crying for.

I know Baekhyun didn’t intend for me to feel this way on my birthday. He would never wish that upon anyone. But I couldn’t help it/

The moment where I wished that I could’ve chosen Baekhyun over Chanyeol was back again. It was futile to think that way, since I knew deep down that Baekhyun’s confession wasn’t going to cause my feelings for Chanyeol to waver. I was already in too deep for that to happen.

But for the time being, I would give Baekhyun what he wanted.

Because I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to get him out of my head tonight, no matter how hard I tried.

….

Chanyeol’s POV

My eyes were drawn towards the door when I heard the sound of the handle being turned. Even though I had prepared myself to try and look somewhat happy for the new couple, I was instantly confused when Baekhyun stepped in by himself.

I could immediately tell there was something off with him in the way that he joined in with the others, asking when it was going to be his turn. Sure, he was smiling, and was able to dupe the other members into thinking he was happy. They wouldn’t have known any better. Hell, they didn’t even notice he was gone.

But I knew something wasn’t right. I had lived with him long enough to know when something was wrong with him.

His smile looked forced, and there was a slight droop in his shoulders that was hardly noticeable. But I could see it.

He must’ve felt my gaze on him, since he turned towards me and lessened the intensity of his fake smile a little bit. He huffed as he looked at my face.

“You should allow me to hit you, just once,” he said, sending me into an entirely different whirlwind of confusion. What was he talking about?

But I didn’t have time to ask him about it, since the other missing culprit decided to return just then.

Mina seemed to be just as awkward as Baekhyun. She wasn’t smiling, but she wasn’t frowning either. She just looked…conflicted. 

She also flinched when Baekhyun called her over to the couch. It was something he always did, but the way she reacted this time was completely unusual. Her movements towards the couch seemed almost robotic and forced, and she was completely on edge as she sat next to him.

On her way over, her gaze met mine as well. She had an entirely different reaction than Baekhyun though.

She couldn’t look me in the eyes, which was always what she did when she felt like she had done something wrong.

…..

Mina’s POV

The party atmosphere was becoming less exuberant for me. The others were still high in spirits, but I felt like I didn’t deserve to join in with their happiness. But I tried, especially after Baekhyun slung his arm around my shoulder when I sat next to him on the couch.

I didn’t think Baekhyun would try to revert back to his old self so quickly. I knew he was attempting to make things less awkward between us, but I thought he would need a few days or something to get even remotely close to the point he was at now. But he was trying his best, and was fairly talented at pretending that everything was okay.

Though he did at one point look over at me and gave me a genuine soft smile and squeezed my shoulders lightly in a one-armed hug before dropping his arm back to his side.

After that, I was fairly convinced that things were going to be okay between us. It may take a while for things to go completely back to normal between us, but his attempts were enough to lift my spirits a bit.

Sometimes, Baekhyun was a lot stronger than he looked.

……

But he was incredibly lightweight.

Somehow, in the midst of our absence, someone had cracked open a few bottles of soju, and everyone was taking celebratory (or punishment) shots while Suho was making pointless attempts at trying to keep the two underage members from going overboard.

I took a few shots here and there just to be polite since I wasn’t much of a drinker. But I’m fairly sure some people went a little overboard.

The few shots that Eun Sae and Sumin took were probably like sleep aids that were combining with the early morning wakeup call they had to make in order to get to their morning classes, since they were already fast asleep on my couch. Then again, it didn’t help that it was getting really late.

Kai and Sehun weren’t allowed to drink that much, since they were usually scolded by Papa Suho or Mama D.O. And whatever they did have, they sobered up from it fairly quickly, since they were practically normal. D.O. on the other hand, did have one too many punishment shots, and was therefore a little tipsy. Suho was responsible enough to only take one drink, since his leader duties were never fulfilled and he had to keep track of everyone else.

I’m not even sure if Chanyeol drank at all, but he had the unfortunate job of having to lug an unconscious Baekhyun down to the van that was waiting for EXO, with the excuse of “he’s your roommate!” being the reason why he was the one who had to do it.

I was fairly certain that Baekhyun had only consumed as much alcohol as I did, maybe even less. But regardless, he was completely knocked out.

Though I had to admit, it was kind of amusing to see Chanyeol with his 186 cm frame try to carry someone who was significantly smaller than he was.

“You got him?” I asked, vaguely wondering if I should attempt to help him even though it probably wouldn’t do much good.

“Yeah, he’s not that heavy,” he muttered, once again readjusting his roommates arm around his shoulder. I knew he had to be lying, since Baekhyun was probably dead weight right now. But he was managing, and was standing in the hall by the door.

A quick glance at the piano now taking up a spot in my living room reminded me of what Baekhyun had told me about putting this whole thing together.

“Chanyeol,” I said gaining his attention. I motioned for him to lean down so that i could tell him something, but he just looked at me like I was crazy.

I huffed, putting my hands on my hips, “I have to tell you a secret, get down here!”

He complied, but not before readjusting Baekhyun first.

Maybe it was the small amount of alcohol in my system that made me make my next bold decision, since I’m pretty sure I never would’ve done this on any given day, but once his head was close enough to me, I leaned up on my toes and planted a kiss on his cheek.

He was so surprised that he straightened up, staring at me in dismay.

I smiled. “Thanks…for everything.”

And then I closed the door, but not before seeing the blush that painted Chanyeol’s face a cute shade of pink.

Because of the dividing line between us, I would never know how long he stood there dumbfounded until he realized what just happened. Nor would I have seen the smile that eventually crossed over his features, and didn’t leave his face until he went to bed that night.

…..

Even in the late hours of the night, my mom was still up and waiting for my phone call, not even caring that I had taken so long to get to her.

“It’s fine sweetie, did you have a nice birthday?”

“It was…interesting, to say in the least. But really good nonetheless.”

“Well I’m glad you still had a good time even though we couldn’t be there.”

“Yeah, good times are my friends specialty.”

Oh! Speaking of friends, why didn’t you tell me you reconciled with that Park Chanyeol boy? I was really surprised when he called me about your father’s piano; I had trouble remembering who he was for a moment. He sounds so much older!”

I took in every word, leaning up against the kitchen counter listening to my mom go on about the little Chanyeol she used to know. It really was true; Chanyeol did set all of this up. To think of what he must’ve gone through to put this all together.

“He really seems like a sweet boy, Mina.”

I smiled, once again looking at the piano that was now mine to cherish.

“Yeah…he has his moments.”

.....................

A/N: Nothing much to say this time around, only that there are only a couple chapters left!

And that this is so...angsty. Hopefully the next chapter will be better!

As always, thanks for reading! *shuffles off to go start a physics project*