Chapter 2

For The Hopeful

 

Two weeks later, the whole of South Korea was in frenzy. Some parts of South Korea were already hit by missiles. Everyone was living in fear. The people in the small town where Seunghyun lived was no exception. Seunghyun tried to assure people that everything was going to be alright by doing what he did best- singing. However, less and less people came to the central square, wanting to stay at home where they felt the safest.


Seunghyun sighed after another night at the central square. The number of people who gathered with him grew lesser by the day. He feared that one day, the dreams of the people would be killed by their fears. He spotted Daesung quite clearly from the small, less than 50 crowd and gave him a wave.


“Any news from the frontline?”


“The North had defeated Jeju and is making their way here already.”


Seunghyun looked at his friend, shock and worry evident in his face.


“That was fast. I expected us to hold on much longer.”


Daesung nodded then he tilted his head towards the villagers.


“But what about them? What will they do when the North finally arrive? What will we do?”

Seunghyun shrugged for he had no answer to Daesung's question.


However, afterwards in the company of his pet dog snuggling at his feet, Seunghyun began to devise a plan. He couldn't let the North kill all the dreams of the townsmen. Their dreams are too precious for Seunghyun to admit defeat and do nothing.


So, with him panting and wheezing, he knocked on the doors of Daesung's house in the middle of the night.


But before he could get anything out, his eyes rolled to the back of his head and he passed out.


Daesung's eyes widened in shock when he saw Seunghyun wobbling. He quickly stretched out his hands just as Seunghyun collapsed. He shouted to his wife to get ready his medicinal room as he dragged the unconscious Seunghyun there.


He laid Seunghyun gently on the bed before reading Seunghyun's heart rate. It was decreasing at an abnormally fast rate. Daesung feared that Seunghyun's time might have come but he quickly shook his head to shake away all those morbid thoughts.


He placed the oxygen mask over Seunghyun and as he waited, he strangely felt a sense of Deja Vu. He crossed his fingers and prayed that Seunghyun would wake up just like he always did before.


Come on Seunghyun. You can’t go now. Not when the town needs you. Not when I need you. Remember you said you will only drop dead when your dreams die. They are not dead yet but they will be if you die. And once you die, the townsmen’ dreams die as well. Can’t you see that you are the murderer of all those dreams? Not the North! So wake up! Wake up now!


He felt Seunghyun stir awake and opened his eyes before grinning and hugging Seunghyun tightly in relief.


“Thank God that He did not take you away from me, from us. Thank God.” Daesung whispered in Seunghyun’s ears.


Only after Seunghyun was well-rested and the color of his face returned to normal, did Daesung agree to listen to him.


Daesung nodded and listened silently, only choosing to speak after Seunghyun has finished talking.


“Your idea might actually work! And I know just the right person who can help us.” Daesung exclaimed.


With that, he quickly sent a pigeon over to Taeyang’s house, asking him to come over as quickly as he could.


When Taeyang arrived, Daesung and Seunghyun excitedly filled him with the details. After a moment of hesitation, Taeyang eagerly agreed and hurriedly left before promising he could finish by the evening.


Daesung then carried Seunghyun up onto the wheelchair.


“I suppose our star has to be dressed and get ready.”


When the sun set, the town central square was filled with people. They all gathered around because Taeyang had successfully persuaded them to put their fears at home and listen to Seunghyun’s new song. Also, they had heard their beloved musician had a relapse again and wanted to personally see Seunghyun healthy and alive.


Soon the murmurs died down and the crowd parted, allowing Daesung to push Seunghyun on a wheelchair to the middle.


Seunghyun did a glance around the crowd and started to speak.


“Thank you all for attending despite being absent for so long.”

 

He could hear soft guilty laughs.


“Today I am going to present you with a new song that I had written since the start of the civil unrest. I hope this song will renew your courage so that you will put your fears behind you and fight for your dreams.”


He cleared his throat before starting to strum his guitar.


The world may seem like it’s in darkness

But don’t fret

The darkest hour is just before dawn

Keep hoping

So that your dreams come alive


Remember the days

When you would talk about your dreams

Don’t forget those days

Your dreams are still near


Just put your fears away

Stand tall

And tell me your dreams are important

So important that you won’t let your fears destroy them


Remember the days

When you would talk about your dreams

Don’t forget those days

You dreams are still near


As the song came to a close, Seunghyun opened his eyes and glanced at his audience, a little afraid of their reactions.


Slowly, slowly, he could see, the fire being reignited in their eyes as they reimagined their better world. And Seunghyun sighed with relief. He had obtained his goal. As he watched the people chattering excitedly and sharing with each other once again what their better world consist of, he suddenly felt so tired.


His eyelids grew heavier and all he wanted to do was sleep. And somehow, he knew that once he slept, he was never going to wake up again. So he struggled, amidst his heavy breathing, to look at the world longer.


He watched his friend gently kissing his wife on her forehead and them smiling in bliss. He saw Taeyang playing with the children and he knew that the townsmen would never give up on their dreams again.


He then closed his eyes and hugged his guitar. It was time for his heart to rest.


It was only when a family wanted to express their gratitude to Seunghyun that they realized that he had passed away.


Daesung quickly ran through the crowds but his footsteps halted to a stop when he saw Seunghyun slumped on the wheelchair, eyes peacefully closed. He slowly walked towards him and gave Seunghyun who was icy-cold a tight hug.


“Thank you for all you did for me, for us, for them.”


Soon the North arrived at the small town of the South but the North had to retreat back with their heads hung low for the townsmen fought along with the soldiers, singing Seunghyun’s song. The louder they sang, the harder they fought, the closer they were to their dreams.


After the war had ended, the townsmen did a burial for Seunghyun. As his casket was carefully laid down, the town wept. For they have lost a musician who taught them how to hope.

 

 

**Wassup guys! That's the end of my short two-chaptered fic! Hope you guys like it! Remember to subscribe/comment/upvote. And btw, I wrote the lyrics to the songs myself so I didn't just copy and paste some song's lyrics into my fic. Comment below if you really thought that those were real songs so that I will know whether I have the potential of being a song-writer. :)