Speed Demon

One Ok Rock

 

   “Oi Toru! Slow down!” Taka yelled after the leader as he clutched the seat-belt on the passenger side of Toru’s car. The two members were heading to band rehearsal. Normally the two would walk to the studio, but Toru had some errands to run after practice ended. Toru was too focused on driving to heed the vocalists’ pleas. The leader sped down the streets of Japan not caring who saw them. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Taka roll down the window and stick his head out like he was some kind of dog.

   “Taka. What are you doing? I’m really not going that fast. Did you let the guys know we were on our way?” Toru spoke as he remained calm and collected. “I texted them earlier. Slow down!” Taka screamed. The calm leader pulled up to a stop light, and looked over at Taka. The curly haired guy was still gripping the edge of his seat as he let out a deep breath. Toru didn’t say a word, he just raised an eyebrow and sped off back down the road.

   Taka seemed to slump back in his seat and relax a little. His heart beat sped back to normal, and he let out a sigh of relief. He could see the studio in the horizon. The leader slowed down and pulled into the parking lot. Once both members were out of the car, Taka put his head between his legs. Toru walked over towards Taka and gave him a reassuring pat on the back before Taka raised his head back up. “Remind me to NEVER get in a car with you again. You almost killed us back there. Plus, you almost hit that old lady that was walking across the street.” Taka said as he waved a finger in the leader’s face. Toru gently pushed the finger away with a huff. “First of all, I wasn’t going that fast. Second, that old lady was already half-way across the street by the time we showed up. Overly-dramatic.” Toru mumbled. Taka just shot him an evil glance before they headed off to the studio doors.

   Once practice was over the group decided to return to their previous work. Toru was the first one to leave, followed by Ryota. “Is it really that bad?” The drummer asked. “It’s worse. He doesn’t break properly. He almost hit an old lady. He speeds up when a song he likes comes on. The man is insane.” Taka said as he waved his hands up in the air in frustration. Tomoya just blinked before he busted out laughing. “You sound like an overprotective mother right now. He can’t be that bad of a driver. We should probably leave now. You want to ride with me? I promise not to scare you with my driving.” Tomoya said as he looked at the time on his phone. “Hmm, well okay. Just don’t speed too much.” Taka said.

   The streets were already dark as the two hopped in Tomoya’s van. Taka let out a deep sigh as he nodded at the drummer to go. Leaving the studio parking lot was smooth enough, but something was different. Taka looked out his window and noticed that the street lights were moving by very slowly. Tomoya neglected to tell the vocalist that he always did the complete opposite of speeding. The drummer some music as he drove very slowly down the road. A person honking their horn could be heard behind them. Taka looked in the passenger mirror to see a trail of angry drivers behind them. He sunk down in his seat, and stared at the floor. Just then, he glanced over to see an older driver pass them and flip them off. “Tomoya, is this how you normally drive?” Taka asked. “Yeah. I told you I don’t speed. Why do you ask?” Tomoya said, not taking his eyes off the road. “I appreciate you not speeding, but can you go a little faster? I think a turtle just passed us.” Taka replied as he scooted back up in his seat. Tomoya just nodded. The lights seemed to be moving a little faster but not that much. The drummer let out a sigh, and slowed back down. “Sorry, but I just don’t feel comfortable speeding.” Tomoya mumbled. “It’s cool. Can you just drop me off somewhere and I’ll walk the rest of the way?” Taka questioned. “No need. We are almost at your place. See.” Tomoya pointed to Taka’s flat as he pulled into the parking garage.

   Taka walked into his home and plopped down on his couch. Today was definitely an interesting one. He realized that Toru was a crazy driver, and Tomoya went at the speed of a turtle. From now on he would stick to walking, he thought. Just then he got a text from Ryota. He read the text out loud. “Hey. Want to get lunch tomorrow? I’ll drive.” Taka let out a groan. He really didn’t want to see how the other member faired when driving. After all, Ryota couldn’t be as terrible of a driver as Toru, right?

                                                         The End.