Strangers are friends you have yet to meet - The Flight

Strangers are friends you have yet to meet

You were completely unable to hold in your excitement. This was it… Finally you were sitting on the plane to start your new life in Seoul. You could hardly believe it. You had waited for this moment to come for ages, and now you finally took this new leap in your life. It was like a dream coming true. If only you didn’t have to sit on the plane for hours, geez.

Closing your eyes, you focused all your attention on the music in your ears. U-KISS’ song ‘Believe’ was playing, making your mood even better. Instantly you began to hum softly to the song, quietly singing bits and parts under your breath. You didn’t care if people heard you anyway. It was freaking Kpop, you were going to Korea; they couldn’t really object now could they? Besides, you had decided to stop caring about things like that. This was a brand new start. You were determined to stop caring about what others may think of you. You were happy and that was all that mattered. So you happily continued listening to your U-KISS playlist.

It wasn’t until you felt someone prodding your arm, you realized there was a stewardess standing next to you with a plate of food. Oh, right. You stopped your music, placing it down on your lap before taking the food and placing it on the retractable tray-table in front of you. The stewardess handed you another plate, asking you to hand it to the man besides you. You turned to face him with his food; taking in your neighbor for the first time. The little of his dark hair that came from under his cap, looked messy as if he just got out of bed. His eyes were hidden behind dark sunglasses, covering most of his face and making it impossible for you to actually see how his face looked as a whole. It confused you, but again, you refused to judge. “Here you go.” You muttered softly, figuring you’d go for English. With some luck he’d understand. “Thanks.” He replied. It was relief to know you didn’t confuse him with your English, but there was something else that preoccupied your attention way more. That voice. You were more than sure you had heard it before. The sound of it kept ringing in your ears, trying to trigger the right memories. You felt how the name of this person was on the tip of your tongue, but … nothing. You couldn’t quite grasp it.

You lightly shook your head, trying to get all silly thoughts out of it How would you possibly know this mysterious man in sunglasses? Besides, why was he even wearing sunglasses on a plane? Nah, you couldn’t know him. Yet you had this feeling. And as you eyed him suspiciously from the corner of your eyes, you saw how his face was into your direction. Was he looking at you? You diverted your eyes again; purposely trying to suppress the thoughts that screamed: weirdo! Creep! And things like that. If you didn’t want to be judged by people, neither would you judge them. It was your new policy. But he was making it damn difficult for you, with the mystery act he was putting on.

You took a bite from your chicken dish, tasting the sweet flavor on your tongue. That was before you took a bite from the actual chicken. It was nothing short of rubber. You could hardly bite through it, your mouth instantly filling up with a chemical taste that made you gag. As subtle as possible; you got it out of your mouth and hid it in a napkin. Making a face, you pushed all pieces of chicken to the side of your plate. Gross. You focused all your attention on doing that, until a chuckle attracted your attention and had you look to your side. “Disgusting, isn’t it?” the guy said, smiling brightly at you. You nodded with a faint smile on your lips. “What gave me away?” you asked, grinning a bit at the fact you were discovered. “Oh, the sound you made actually. Besides, I’ve been in planes so often that I know the chicken is like rubber.” He answered you; making your eyes grow bigger. “Sound I made?” you brought out. Oh god, did you make a sound? His smile got wider and wider; he was probably amused by the expression on your face. “You make more sounds than you probably realize. Just like when you were singing to U-KISS.” He chuckled, as he took a bite of his own food. “Hey, I was aware of my singing then! I’m not cra- wait you know U-KISS?” you started, though your own trail of thoughts cut you off as you realized this man had recognized the song. You were positive your singing hadn’t been that loud for him to understand everything; so he must’ve known the song.

“Yeah I do. Is that weird?” he asked. To your surprise his voice sounded slightly disgruntled by your remark. As if he took it as a personal insult you were making it sound like it was wrong to like U-KISS. “I didn’t say it was. You just don’t seem the fanboy-type.” You answered, shrugging lightly and looking back to your plate. “I wouldn’t call me a fanboy either.” He said, a lovely laugh escaping his lips. You didn’t look back at him, too confused with this man. He really was reminding you of someone. How weird. “Are you a fangirl?” his voice reached your ears, making you look at him instantly. Of course you had a goofy expression on your face; since you were trying to decide what to tell this man. Part of you didn’t want to talk about it, the other was waking up the extreme fangirl inside of you. “Uhm, I guess I am, yes.” You admitted, putting some rice into your mouth to distract yourself from the smile that spread across his lips. “Then who’s your bias?” he brought out.

In that moment you almost chocked on your rice. Who was this man and why was he so goddamn well informed? He didn’t claim to be a fanboy; yet he had recognized U-KISS’s song instantly because of your humming and soft singing. And now he was aware of the term ‘bias’? This man definitely was a fanboy.

After you stopped coughing; you eyed him suspiciously. “I don’t have one.” You brought out. You were being mostly honest. When it came to U-KISS you had found yourself being pushed into a corner by all members. You weren’t able to firmly decide on one you ‘liked the most’. “Aww come on!” he urged, grinning at you. “Surely you’ll like one most?” he added, a curious undertone in his voice you didn’t miss. “No I really don’t. It’s difficult. But you wouldn’t understand.” You replied, sighing a bit. How would you be able to explain this without sounding like a complete fool to this stranger? “Try it.” he said shortly, sitting up a bit more straight. You bit your lip in doubt, trying to find the right words. “Well basically all of them have something really interesting…” you started. Secretly you wanted to say how hot they all were, but figured he would find that strange. Besides, there was much more to say. “So one time you like one of them, but then another one does something that attracts your attention again and bam.” You added with a smirk. Your neighbor grinned back at you; He seemed way to excited about all of this. “So it’s really hard to pick amongst them. Even if a few, of course, stand out.” You said, pleased that you were getting your point across. “Oh, so you do have favorites?” he asked, reacting to your last words. You sighed. “Like I said; a few stand out most of the times yes.” “Like who? Don’t tell me it’s that A.J guy. He’s lame.” He then said, making you gasp for air and focus all your attention on him. Oh, no he didn’t.

“YA!” you said, slapping his arm spontaneously. You didn’t feel in the slightest sorry for hitting a stranger like that. He flinched a bit, edging away from you as you went off on your rant. “He’s not stupid at all! Do you even know how awesome Jaeseop is? You really can’t say that!” you snapped. “Have you any idea how talented he is? He writes lyrics that are amazing! He’s like super smart too! And his voice when he raps – aish – it’s just to die for. Not to mention his smile! I bet he can melt a girl’s heart with that smile.” You sighed happily as you sank back in your chair in contentment at the thought of him. Okay, so maybe he was your bias after all. “So don’t you dare saying he’s lame! You don’t know anything about him! Don’t judge him!” you added and glared at him, just to make sure he got it. You noticed how his face seemed blank for a second, or at least,  by the shape of his mouth it looked as if he felt baffled. The sunglasses still hid his eyes and made it impossible to be sure.  But then a small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. “You… you really think so?” he asked, curiosity seeping through his voice. “Yes I do. He’s not lame. Okay! Besides, rule number one: don’t insult someone’s bias.” You added shortly, looking away from him and folding your arms over each other. This idiot thought he knew it all. How short-sighted could you be?

 “Bias? I-He’s your bias?” you heard him say, still you didn’t look at him. “You really think he’s that great like you said? You don’t think he’s weird or lame or anything?” He added softly. You looked at him from the corner of your eyes. “Weird? That’s very rich, coming from a guy who’s been hiding his eyes all the time!” you replied fiercely. He was really getting on your nerves now. But to your surprise he chuckled. “You think this is funny?” you complained, feeling annoyance boil inside of you. “Actually, you are pretty adorable at the moment. But you do have a point.” He said, leaving you confused. What was he saying? You didn’t want to be adorable! Though you were more confused with how he could suddenly say you had a point. “I…do?” you said, wrinkling your forehead as you stared at him. “Yep you do.” He replied shortly, making the silence return between the both of you. You kept staring at him for a while, wondering why he wasn’t saying anything else anymore. To your own surprise this stranger now intrigued you, with his hidden personality and obvious amusement at your fangirling. Who was he? Why did he care so much about who you liked or didn’t like? Those were the thought swirling through your mind as they announced the plane was about to land. Finally… Seoul!

Waiting in line after getting off the plane seemed to take forever. You looked at everything around you, taking it all in with tons of excitement. You were the happiest you could ever be. “So, are you staying in Seoul? Or are you on a holiday?” the voice of the stranger who was behind you reached you. Of course, with all the excitement you were in, you replied happily. “I’m staying for a year actually!” you said, watching how his lips curled into a smile. “Lovely! Me too!  And where are you staying?” he added, a curious undertone in his voice. “Why should I tell you, I don’t even know your name.” you grinned mischievously. If he didn’t want to show his face, the least you could do was try and figure out his name. Maybe that would confirm if you knew him or not. “You can call me Jae, and you?” he smirked, again he looked far too pleased with himself for some reason. “____. And I’m staying in Hongdae, nearby Dunkin Donuts.” You replied, shrugging lightly. His name didn’t ring a bell, only made you more curious about him. ‘Ooh, I come there often! Maybe I’ll bump into you one day!?” he asked, for once you noticed how excitement also leaked into his voice. It made you raise your eyebrows at him and he grinned back. Yet again his smile reminded you of someone, but you couldn’t place it exactly. “Uhm yeah I guess.” You replied, walking forward again. There was another silence in which you passed all the necessary control posts and finally arrived at the arrival gates.

Happiness overwhelmed you as you stared around the airport. You hardly noticed how Jae had stopped next to you, curiously following what you were looking at. “First time in Seoul?” he asked, watching you nod in return. “If you want I can show you around. How about tomorrow 10am at Dunkin Donuts.” He suddenly said. The request was abrupt enough to have you stare at him with wide eyes. Somehow you felt the need to say yes, because whatever it was about this guy; he had certainly intrigued you. And you couldn’t help but wanting to know more about him. Though, before you had opened your mouth to reply, his hand reached up and removed his sunglasses. With a shock you realized whose eyes you were now looking at…Kim Jaeseop. “If you want, we can discuss U-KISS some more then.” He said coolly, chuckling lightly at the expression on your face. “See you tomorrow.” He then added, putting his glasses back on, pressing a kiss on your cheek and walking away as he left you with your mouth hanging open in shock.