Battles Have Begun

Castle of Glass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae’s heart had stopped for a moment, a moment that dragged on for what felt like hours- his eyes, bloodshot from the burning tears, and his heart ached from the endless questions that flooded his head; why didn’t he know he had a brother? Where has he been all of his life? Why didn’t his father ever mention him? His eyes stared at the brunette with the reddish tint, his ears rung with every word filled with hatred that the elder spat at him- the words cut so deep that it made his blood turn cold, and his body felt completely numb. He was lost. He hadn’t realized that Hyukjae’s arms were around him, attempting to calm his soul, but his heart was too broken.

            The elder had lunged into the air, his arm brought back and in a second he sent his fiery red flames towards them. Donghae’s breathes caught in his throat, and his eyes widened as the flames grew closer, and the heat increased dramatically. Donghae didn’t have the strength to scream, but Hyukjae reacted quickly; he wrapped an arm around the latter’s waist tightly, his eyes glowed white and powerful strings of electricity came out from the ground, pushed against the flames while Hyukjae teleported away with Donghae. He knew that Donghae was in shock, he could feel the coldness, so he made Donghae look at him as he shook his shoulders, “Hey, look at me!” Donghae’s blank brown eyes looked into his and he spoke rapidly, “Fight back.” It was all he said. His hands squeezed the latter’s shaking wrists and Donghae could only nod weakly- the strength from Hyukjae somehow circled his arms and eased him.

            The elder laughed, “Give up on him! He’s pathetic.” He stood tall and strong and every word he spoke cut Donghae deeper.

            “I-I didn’t know.” Donghae’s voice was barely audible. “I had no idea!” he spoke louder, the confidence suddenly being born within him but even still his voice still shook from the pain he felt in his heart. Tears welled into his eyes and he sniffled, but before he could say anymore the elder rolled his eyes and waved his hand into the air to cut him off.

            Hyuna’s eyes glowed from anger, “What is your name?!” her hands formed into tight fists.  

            A small smirk painted his pink lips, his dark eyes turned a cringing bright red orange as he stared into Donghae’s eyes, “My name is Heechul.” His voice was almost eerily melodic; it made Donghae shiver and Heechul continued to stare at him through his malicious bright red orange eyes because he knew the power he had over him. “Don’t worry little brother, you don’t need to worry about anything because you won’t live long enough to care,” the flames surrounded Donghae’s legs and Heechul teleported him closer to him. Donghae nearly cried when he came so close to the elder, his heart raced and his blood turned cold when Heechul placed one finger in the middle of the latter’s forehead and flames brushed his delicate skin- in matter of seconds, it began to burn severely. Donghae squeezed his eyes shut and screamed.

            He fell to his knees when the gust of air hit him. He breathed heavily, slowly opened his eyes and was surprised to see Hyukjae had pushed the elder away from. Hyukjae glared at him, his teeth clenched together, hands formed into tight fists, and his eyes were the brightest white Donghae had ever seen. Through clenched teeth Hyukjae growled, “Don’t. Touch. Him!” and out of his rage he lunged streaks of white electricity towards Heechul whose eyes suddenly flashed from excitement- he laughed and although the power ripped through his skin he found enjoyment through it. Hyukjae continuously attacked him with his power, hurting him more and more physically. Heechul laughed loudly, jumped into the air and threw powerful red fireballs towards Hyukjae. Hyukjae instantly, and easily dodged the attacks.

            Sungmin, Kyuhyun, Kibum, and Siwon could only watch the scene before them in complete shock. Neither of them could process the intense power that radiated off of Heechul’s being. Kyuhyun’s rage slowly grew and angry tears escaped his eyes, “All this time…I thought that I was a monster. You made me believe I was a monster!” He screamed at Heechul and bright orange flames were lunged toward the latter, but they were quickly dodged. “It was always you!” Kyuhyun screamed and continued to attack him. “You killed SungMin’s parents!” His eyes glowed orange and he cried out as he sent out more and more flames to attack the elder.

            Heechul could only laugh, his laugh became louder as he stared into Kyuhyun’s tear-filled eyes. “I did.” He said it so simply and easily without a care in the world that it not only tore Kyuhyun apart but SungMin as well. SungMin placed his hand over his mouth and he whimpered softly, “I was bored, and offended that my own father would give you fire power.” He smirked. “It does nothing for you.” And with a wave of one hand Kyuhyun became consumed by the powerful red flames. SungMin and Donghae both cried out for Kyuhyun- who instantly fell to his knees from the sudden weakness, his shrieks pierced ears. SungMin tried to help him but the flames burned his flesh, he cried softly and glared at Heechul.

            “You’re the monster.” His voice didn’t shake as he glared into his eyes. Heechul’s vile smile only grew.

            “H-Heechul please leave him alone! It’s me you want! He has nothing to do with this!” Donghae cried heavily as he watched the flames burn Kyuhyun’s flesh.

            Hyukjae concentrated and he managed to become in tuned with Donghae’s mind. He spoke to him in his thoughts and said, ‘You have the power to heal, Donghae. You can do this, you just have to believe in yourself.’ Donghae’s eyes widened as he watched the flames leave Kyuhyun’s lifeless body. SungMin cried harder, he fell to his knees instantly and with shaky hands he lifted Kyuhyun to his knees. “K-Kyuhyun!!” he cried out. Siwon and Kibum knelt beside him and tried to console him but it was no use because Sungmin wasn’t listening to them. His heart was completely torn, but Kyuhyun’s skin slowly healed- he remained still.

            The witch attempted to trap the elder through a spell but Heechul grabbed her by her wrists and instantly broke them. She cried out and he pushed her to the side, “Don’t dare, witch. Unlike these pathetic fools I am strong enough to defend myself from anyone. I will kill you if I find it necessary.” He almost growled.   

            Anger boiled within Donghae, and he breathed heavily as his eyes didn’t leave the sight of a crying Sungmin and a very still Kyuhyun. Heechul turned and lifted a hand, “Your turn” he smirked and flamed began to circle Sungmin, Kyuhyun, Kibum and Siwon- the three of them cried out in fear. Donghae saw red once again, his blood boiled as the power within him multiplied, and with a simple movement of his eye twitching a wave of water filled the air and crashed against the flames that circled his friends. The flames disappeared, and Heechul’s eye twitched as he turned and glared at Donghae, “You little brat.” He growled, and nearly shook from the anger that blinded him.

            Hyukjae was completely impressed, and he tried to stand before Donghae, but the latter pushed him back gently. Hyukjae stared at him, completely confused, but Donghae spoke to him through his thoughts. ‘This is my battle, Hyukjae.’ He only shook his head and the protective side became clear when he was unwilling to allow Donghae to do this alone. “I never did anything to you.” He whispered.

            “You took me away from my own home!” He screamed. “You stupid brat, I should have killed you while you were still in our mother’s womb!” He shouted and flames projected out of his body and straight towards Donghae. Donghae lifted his hands and shielded his face for protection but somehow his power had radiated out of him and shielded him- the flames vanished in thin air and Donghae slowly put his arms down and stared into the bright red orange eyes. Heechul continued to send his piercing flames to Donghae, but over and over again they were blocked by the waves. Heechul yelled at him, his control completely lost- Donghae’s eyes suddenly glowed a deep blue a ball of water shielded Heechul to restrain his power. The elder screamed and Donghae breathed heavily as he stared at the angry bright red orange eyes.

            “All of my life I’ve always felt so…abandoned and alone. If I would’ve known I had a brother…” a hopeful smile formed in his lips and he couldn’t help but sob softly, “I would’ve been so happy.” His voice broke and Heechul suddenly calmed down, but he could only stare into this eyes- their eyes didn’t avert for a moment longer. Donghae breathed heavily and the water shield around Heechul dropped, “Whatever I did to you, to make you hate me the way that you do…I apologize and ask you to take it out on me and not on any of my friends. They have nothing to do with this.”

            Heechul took a step closer and before Hyukjae could step in Donghae stuck his arm out and took a step towards the elder. “Your father is a monster.” He said simply. “Haven’t you asked yourself why your own father can’t protect you himself?” his voice toyed with Donghae’s emotions.

            Donghae forgot to breathe as he stared into his brother’s eyes. He couldn’t speak, couldn’t find the strength to even utter a simple word, and Heechul could only half smile, but the wickedness failed to appear for a moment. He took a step back and simply stated, “I’ll put you out of your misery.” The red flames engulfed and for a moment there was complete silence except for Donghae’s anxious deep breathes that were synced with his shivers- he stared in front of him, lost in his painful thoughts. Then the serenity was disrupted by the crackling, and Donghae was pushed down- his back against the cold ground while Heechul straddled him. The bright red orange eyes glared into him, and the elder brought his hand up and his hand became surrounded by red flames. “YOU FELT ABADONED?!?! I was NOTHING to JaeSun! He so willingly sent me off to be that witch’s power sac!” With his other hand he squeezed Donghae’s neck and his eyes became brighter as the anger boiled more and more. Donghae cried as he stared into the eyes. Hyukjae was seconds from attacking him, but some unexplainable force pushed Heechul away from Donghae.

            Heechul’s body shook as he slowly stood and glared at the dark figure with the overwhelming hatred- it was strong enough that his flames burned his surroundings into nothing; the leaves crisped and the sand beanethe his shoes turned black. “Y-You!” He growled, his hands turned into tight fists and before he screamed in fury he threw his arm in front of him and a row of flames attacked the dark figure.

            Lee JaeSun immediately dodged the attack. His black eyes stared into Heechul’s bright ones. “Heechul.” He said simply. Jiyeon stood feet behind JaeSun, and she looked at the first born with solemn, pitiful eyes- her dark eyes flashed an emerald green and time began to tick through her eyes. She quickly squeezed them shut, and when she opened them once more she looked down at the ground.

            Hyukjae pulled Donghae from the ground and they all stared at Lee JaeSun; some with fear and others with anger. Donghae approached him cautiously, but he shook from the anger that slowly grew, “Why didn’t you tell me I had a brother!?”

            Lee Jaesun could hardly breath, he stared into his younger son’s darkening eyes and unpleasant memories of the past began to flash into his mind. “I can never win.” He whispered painfully, he looked over at Heechul and spoke up once he cleared his throat. “You were much better off without me.” He looked over at Donghae. “The both of you…”

            Heechul sneered, “You’re so full of .”

            “Answer me.” Donghae whispered hopelessly.

            “Donghae, please. You have to understand that I was desperate, and I- I couldn’t live with myself. No matter how many times I go back in time…you will always hate me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter