the expedition

My baby Black Panther

 

Taecyeon was part of a special expedition. He was a researcher and a world-renowned veterinarian. He was particularly attracted to felines and recently, his attention was drawn to a particular species. Black Panthers. This is why he and his team were currently in the vast rainforest of Malaysia. They were camped on a hill in order to have the best view possible and to anticipate the arrival of wild beasts. They were there for three days and they had already seen hundreds of different animals, but still no Panthers in sight. But there was no hurry, he would wait as long as necessary. The three men who were with him were stowing the camp and preparing the meal as he watched the horizon, leaving the magnificent scenery invades him. Just the fact of being here was a huge luck, he knew it. Few could boast of having seen a spectacle so grand. When the meal was ready, he ate with his team and their guide told them the travel they would do in the afternoon. They couldnt stray too far from the camp because they had to be back before nightfall but since they were all good walkers, they would still be able to explore much of the surrounding forest.

They prepared their business and set off. It was hot and humid but for now, it still bearable. At least they escaped the torrential rains. They ventured cautiously among the trees, meadows and marshes. It was really amazing. The flora and fauna were varied, sublimated in various colorful species.

It had already done three hours they walked so they decided to take a break. They sat under a tree and ate biscuits, eyes fixed on every bush, knowing that the smell of their food could attract animals. While one of his men decided to take a nap, Taecyeon announced that he would cool off in a pond he had spotted a hundred yards away. He put his business on the side and knelt beside the water and poured water on his face. The cool water did him good, giving him energy and removing the thin film of sweat that covered his skin. Then he sat down and pulled out his sketchbook. He began to draw a flower he didnt know but found pretty. He should seek later what her name was. He had just rest his pencil when a movement in the periphery of his eye caught his attention. He stood up and walked slowly and cautiously toward a grove. He stopped when he saw a black fur. A black panther, it could be nothing else. Finally he had found one. He stopped a few meters away, not wanting to frighten her and crouched for his size to dont impress her. Then he took out from his bag a piece of meat and threw it in front of the grove, hoping to make the feline go out of hiding. He waited patiently, minutes seemed to stretch to infinity. But what was his surprise when it was a hand and not a paw that left the grove to grab the meat. A human here? Alone, in the middle of the forest? Impossible!

 

- wh-who are you?

 

He waited for a response, but nothing. And the man seemed frozen behind the branches at the sound of his voice. Taec frowned. It was strange. But he must be sure of it. He took another piece of meat in his bag and threw it to the grove again, but a little farther than the first time. Thus, the man would have to come out of hiding to grab it. He waited again, and finally a head pointed out of the bushes. He was a young man. His hair was long, cascading over his shoulders. His skin was dirty and full of scratches. As crazy as it may seem, Taec was forced to say that the boy really lived alone in the forest. This idea made ​​him shudder. He looked at him while he slowly approached the meat. He was practically , having for only garment a sort of tunic made ​​of clear black panther's fur. The boy began to eat greedily the meat, eyes not leaving Taecyeon. There was a wild gleam in his eyes, but fear was also clearly visible. The researcher moved a little, wanting to get closer but changed his mind when the boy took a step back, growling suspiciously.

 

- dont be afraid, I wont do anything to you...

 

The boy tilted his head to the side, blinking. Apparently he didnt understand the meaning of his words, but it wasnt surprising. Taec then slowly stretched out his hand to him and then stopped moving. He left him the choice to come closer or not. It was strange to him to use a technique that would normally be used with an animal, but he didnt really have any other choice. The young man looked at him a long moment, weighing the likely situation. He approached slowly, cautiously. Taec still didnt move, he didnt want to scare him again. But he smiled when the boy gently pressed his cheek against the hand he held out. Taecyeon thought he was probably going to experience the most fantastic thing, with a scientific point of view but also human. He gently the boy's cheek, which to his astonishment began to purr.

 

- you really think that you're a panther, huh?...

 

The researcher couldnt help but smile. It was a sight truly appealing. The waiter came closer a little more and sniffed him with a shy smile. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but only a soft growl escaped from his throat. Taecyeon wondered how this young man could be here. But he wouldnt be able to discover it early knowing that he couldnt explain himself. But perhaps he would find clues later. A yelp was then heard and the boy quickly turned his head toward the forest. Then he looked again at Taec and his cheek quickly before running off through the trees. So he really lived with the Panthers. Taecyeon recognized this yelp. It was that of a mother calling her child. He looked at his hand, not realizing he had really touched him. He had the impression of having dreamed the entire scene. He gathered his things and noticed that the night was falling. He had rto go back. He hurried back to his men and they returned to the camp. He was reluctant to talk about his experience. First, they probably wouldnt believe him. And he certainly doesnt think it is a good idea. The presence of too many people would surely scare the boy, if he had the chance to see him again.

 

A week had elapsed and Taec hadnt seen the boy so that he came to think that it was the fruit of his imagination. But while he was with his men in the depths of the forest, he saw a black fur. It moved quickly, but too slowly to be a panther. A smile appeared on his face and automatically he pretended to have an urge to get away from the group. He followed the footprints on the floor and stopped at a stream. The boy was definitely there, drinking water. Taecyeon slowly approached and sat a few feet away, deciding to simply observe him for a moment. After a few minutes, the young man finally noticed his presence and he smiled. He walked on all fours and sat next to the researcher. The latter patted his head gently.

 

- Hi there...

 

As the time before, the boy let out soft purrs. Taec unconsciously caressed his cheek, looking at his face closely. With his long hair and all that dirt, it was difficult to really know what he looked like. He really needed a good bath. Taecyeon had an idea. Under the watchful eye of the boy, he undressed, leaving only his boxers then slowly entered the creek. He took a little soap in his bag and began to wash himself. When he had finished, he motioned the young man to join him. This one hesitated before slowly removing his tunic and go into water. Taecyeon had to look away, feeling ashamed to see him completely . The boy began to dabble in the water, laughing and Taec splashed him a little. The boy's laughing then redoubled. He had a laugh really adorable. They played a little then Taecyeon pulled him closer and washed him. The young man let him do, not stopping to look at him, apparently wondered what it all meant.

 

- here we are, now you're all clean

 

Taec smiled and ruffled his hair then went out of the water. He sat down in the grass to dry in the sun and the boy imitated him. The researcher blushed again and opened his bag for a boxer. He then handed it to the young man who looked at him uncomprehendingly. Obviously, he didnt know what it was. Taec then pointed the boxer he was wearing and the boy nodded slowly before putting the boxer. He struggled a bit but finally managed to wear it correctly.

 

- its better, right ?

 

The boy fidgeted a bit, not used to wear this stuff but smiled. Taec again opened his bag and pulled out a rubber band. He wrapped it around his wrist and then approached the boy. He gently his hair, combing it with his fingers and then pulled it into a ponytail and tied it with the elastic. Face finally cleared of dirt and hair, Taecyeon was finally able to see each line of it. And his eyes widened in amazement. He hadnt expected this. The boy was cute and after a quick run to the hairdresser, he would even be simply beautiful. The young man rubbed his nose against his, laughing, before suddenly freeze, staring at something that was behind Taec. The latter then turned his head and saw his men. They were probably looking for him when he didnt come back.

 

- ...

- what the...

- dont come closer!

 

But it was already too late, the boy had already moved back before running away. Taec heaved a deep sigh, throwing his hand in his hair. This time, the chance to see him dropped to zero. He got dressed and quickly explained the situation to his men who stared at him with wide eyes. They too couldnt believe that a man was able to spend his life here alone.

Taecyeon looked sadly in the direction in which the boy was gone. He would have liked to spend more time with him but it will probably be impossible now. He returned to the camp, dragging feet, a little depressed. In the evening, while his teammates spoke with animation, Taec sat in a corner and drew the boy. If he wouldnt have the chance to see him again, he didnt want to forget his face, even if it may not be possible to forget such a being. He ate quickly and went to bed in his tent. But Morpheus didnt seem to open his kingdom of peace. He sighed and turned again and again in his sleeping bag.

It should be 3 or 4am when a piercing cry was heard in the forest, making him jolt. He rushed out of his tent and turned his flashlight, scanning the horizons. His three companions were also emerging, yawning.

 

- what was this sound?...

- it looked like a scream of pain...

- in the middle of the forest?

- the boy...

 

Taecyeon didnt think more, he took his bag and ran towards the forest. He was vaguely aware that it was dangerous, he could come face to face with a wild animal hunting but he didnt care. Running as fast as possible, he went to the stream where he saw for the last time the young man. But when he arrived, as he thought, there was not a soul. He leaned against a tree to catch his breath and looked towards the sky. He was really worried. He had to find him at any price. He then ventured the way that the boy used to escape. The forest seemed suddenly quiet, too quiet for his taste elsewhere. He felt a shudder through his spine, but he decided to ignore it. He walked cautiously among the trees, taking care not to trip over roots which were invisible because of darkness.

 

He didnt know how many time he walked but in any case, the sun was raising and fatigue began to be seriously felt. He was about to sit on a rock when a painful groan was heard. Alert, he walked slowly towards the noise source, a small cave whose entrance was covered with leaves. He stopped walking and pointed his flashlight at the entrance to try to see something. A few seconds later, the boy came out, trembling from head to toe, barely holding his grunts of pain. His hand was holding on his arm firmly but Taec could clearly see he was bleeding. A knot formed in his stomach. He had reason to worry. He needed help, but considering how the boy had fled the day before, it wasnt won. Moreover, when he noticed the researcher, he let out a long growl and looked around, searching for a way to escape despite his injury.

 

- Im sorry about earlier... but let me help you... you're loosing too much blood...

 

He knew he couldnt understand what he said but he hoped his reassuring voice to convince the boy to let him do. The boy hesitated a long time before slowly walking towards Taec. When he was close enough, he fell into the arms of the man, exhausted. Taecyeon laid him gently on the ground and examined him. He had a fever and his face showed him how much he suffered. The researcher injected a painkiller and then took in his bag things to disinfect the wound. He did it slowly, not wanting to make him feel worse. When he had finished, he made him a tight bandage to prevent blood from flowing. He held the boy gently against him, caressing his hair. He had to rest a little. His wound was impressive but not really bad either. But what intrigued Taec is that it was a deep scratch. A scratch ... His eyes widened when reality hit him. It was probably one of the Panthers who had inflicted the wound and probably because of him. It was a common animal behavior. Many animals rejected their peers when they came into contact with humans. Taecyeon sighed and buried his face in the boy's hair. He felt guilty.

 

- Im sorry, I didnt think about that...

 

The sleeping young man moved a little to snuggle more against him. His warm breath tickled his neck. The pain seemed to be gone. Taecyeon closed his eyes and let his stress and fatigue drag him away.

When he awoke, the sun was high in the sky. He slowly opened his eyes, yawned and stretched. He looked around, searching for the boy but he was gone. He sighed and sulked before seeing him come out of a thicket, holding tropical fruits. He smiled and Taec smiled back. A thank you gift, huh? He accepted with joy the fruits and ate with his "friend." He checked the bandage and then sighed in relief when he saw that the blood had stopped flowing.

 

- it dont hurt anymore?

 

The boy didnt answer, but his smile was enough. Taecyeon suddenly had this urge to draw this smile so he took his notebook and pencil. He was about to start when he noticed the puzzled look of the young man. He smiled and drew a little before hand him the book and pencil.

- you wanna try?

 

The youngest of them took it with an unsteady hand and made a mark on the sheet before looking at Taec, his eyes shining. He really was like a child, marveling at the smallest things. Taecyeon chuckled and patted his head before indicating with a nod to continue drawing. The young man nodded and began to "draw". Obviously, it was more like childish scribbles but it wasnt important.

 

- I have to find a name for you...

 

The boy looked at him and tilted his head to the side. The reseacher thought a little while then he pointed himself with his finger.

 

- my name is Taecyeon, but you can somply call me Taec.

 

The boy tilted his head to the other side, fromwing a bit. He opened his mouth and moved his lips but no sound came out. He frowned more, pouting and did it again.

 

- T-Tae !

 

Taecyeon smiled and nodded a few times. The bou giggled and hugged him.

 

- Tae ! Tae ! Tae !

- almost~ well, now a name for you... lets see... I'd rather compare you to a cat than to a nice panther... cat... kitty... catty... Channie ?

 

The young man nodded, smiling. Apparently he liked it. Taecyeon ruffled his hair and the boy hugged him again, even snuggling against him. The man smiled more, feeling his cheeks turn red a little. He closed his eyes and sighed softly. A part of him regretted knowing the young man. Because he was well aware that he would soon have to leave to Korea, leaving him alone again here. He had thought about taking the young man with him but he doesnt think it is a good idea. First, because he didnt want him to be considered a freak, and then, because he suspected that he would be unhappy away from Panthers with whom he had spent his entire life.
 

Nevertheless, Taecyeon couldnt help but spend hours and hours with the boy. It had been a month since he had arrived in Malaysia now. He had the informations he needed on the Black Panthers. It was time to leave. But just a day or two ... just a little more ...


Taec was preparing his bag to go to the glade when one of his companions signaled the approach of something or someone. It was weird, Channie was afraid of the other team members so he never ventured too near of the camp. Nevertheless, the researcher went to meet him. What was his astonishment when a few yards away, he saw the young man, tears rolling down his cheeks. Taec didnt even have time to ask him what happened before the boys jumped into his arms.

 

- T-Tae...

- Im here... but whats wrong?...

 

Channie looked at him with red eyes, took his hand and led him quickly into the forest. The boy had stopped crying but still his sobs echoed through the trees. Taecyeon held his hand gently, caressing it with his thumb to comfort him. To his amazement, Channie led him to the hideout of the panthers. They glared at the researcher, all teeth and fangs out but the growl that echoed in the boy's chest made ​​them take a step back. They then entered a small cave and Taec finally understood why the boy was so distraught. A big panther was lying on the ground, injured. It was even a pretty bad shape indeed. Without thinking, Taec crouched beside her and examined her. Channie sat in a corner and watched, fear clearly visible in his eyes. The man bit his lip. It was absolutely necessary to save the feline as he never wanted to see the young man cry again. It was a sight too unbearable. He began by injecting the panther a painkiller and to clean multiple wounds, gave her stitches when necessary and finally he made bandages. It was all he could do with the things at his disposal and he hoped that would be enough. In fact, there was one chance in two that she spends the night and if she had survived the next day, then she would heal. He sat down beside the young man and put his arm around his shoulder. Channie rested his head on his shoulder and closed his eyes.

 

It took almost three days for the panther to be able to get up again. But she would quickly recover. Channie had somehow managed to explain to Taec that this panther was like his mother, she had taken care of him since ever. Their relationship was very touching indeed. Taecyeon could never have imagine such a bond between a man and a feline, it far exceeded anything he had seen so far.

They were eating a rabbit Channie hunt when a roar was heard. The boy instinctively went to attack position, not knowing what it was, looking around. Taec rose and beckoned him not to be afraid.

 

- its my helicopter... I forgot which day we are... it passed too fast...

 

The researcher let out a deep sigh. It was time for him to leave. As they say, "even the best things come to an end." He had to do his farewell to Channie and it broke his heart, but he had no choice. With luck, the young man wouldnt understand what really was happenning ... Taecyeon sighed softly and hugged his friend. He buried his face in his hair and whispered.

 

- Im sorry Channie... I have to leave... I'll miss you...

 

He softly kissed the boy's head then stepped back and tool his bag. He was about to walk away when the young man held him back by the wrist.
 

- Tae ?...

 

Taecyeon bit his lip and told him to return to the cave. Channie frowned but complied anyway, head down. The researcher felt his heart sink but still he hurried back to the camp. Everything had to be repacked. Once done, he, his team and the helicopter pilot ate a snack. They put the bags in the baggage compartment. Taec looked around. Profound sadness invaded him since his return to the camp. He ran his hand through his hair. How was he supposed to forget an incredible experience like this? He shook his head and walked slowly toward the helicopter. There were only five minutes before departure. He really felt down. As a researcher, he had every reason to go: the discoveries he had made were unprecedented. But as a man, it was a different story.

He was about to go in the helicopter when Channie's voice was heard, full of despair. A simple "Tae!" Who broke the heart of the man. He turned slowly around and blinked several times to discover the boy and the whole band of black panthers. Taec told the pilot to wait a few more minutes and then walked slowly toward the young man. He had tears in his eyes.

 

- Channie...


The boy wrapped his arms around the neck of the man and hugged him tightly against him. The latter bit his lip and held him close too. That is why he had asked Channie to stay in the cave, he wanted at all costs to avoid this kind of farewell. It was too painful. After a few moments, the young man looked straight into Taec's eyes. That look captivated him. He knew that even if he left, a part of him would remain here with the boy with Panthers.
 

- Im sorry... I cant stay... my life aint here...


The boy nodded slowly as if he understood and, against all odds, sealed softly their lips. Taecyeon's eyes widened in surprise before he slowly closed his eyes to savor his lips, hugging even more his junior against him. Channie slowly broke the kiss then he gently pushed Taec to the helicopter. The latter, still a bit in shock, let him do it and then he looked at the boy return with the feines and shake his hand, a sad smile on his lips. Taecyeon shook his hand back without much conviction, completely lost. Even when the craft took off and started to fly away, he didnt stop looking at Channie ....