Babysitting Adventures

Babysitting Adventures

 

Title: Babysitting Adventures

Author: Eggums

Genre: AU, Fluff

Prompt: Yesung(18) was asked by her mother's friend to take care of her son while they're (Yesung's mother and she) going on a trip. Yesung expected a tiny 5 year old kid but he ended up taking care of Kyuhyun(14), who was childish even though he claims he's very matured.

Summary: Jongwoon is tasked with babysitting a very ‘mature’ Kyuhyun and despite his reservations come to enjoy the experience.

♥규 성♥

 

He’s an angel, Jongwoon, he’s a darling boy.”

Jongwoon glanced at his mother before giving the woman in front of him a tight-lipped smile, “I’m sure he is, Mrs. Cho, really… I just-“

“It’d really be such a huge help to us, Woonie.” His mother said, “We’d owe you so much.”

“I have musical practice…”

“Take him with you! My sweet boy has a beautiful voice. He’ll be a famous singer when he’s older, I already know! He’d be delighted to learn more about theater!”

“It’s really more of a musical…” Jongwoon sighed, “I don’t know…”

“Jongjin will help you out, Woonie, please?”

Jongjin was a good brother and always helpful but his part time job took up all his time. Jongjin was so proud to have gotten his first job, he was only 15, after all.

“Jongjin works a lot, Umma…” Jongwoon started to protest but seeing the pleading look on his mother’s and Mrs. Cho’s faces, he crumbled.

“Okay… okay fine. I’ll babysit your son… for… the week. How- how old is he again?”

“He’s still a baby~”

Jongwoon shook his head, “That doesn’t really- okay… uhm, when are you leaving?”

“This weekend! I’ll bring Kyunnie over a couple of hours before we leave so you two can meet!” Mrs. Cho turned to her friend, “I’m so excited! Really, Ahra is so busy all the time, she has no time to care for Kyunnie. Thank you, Jongwoon, thank you so much!”

Jongwoon held up his hands and shook his head, “No, no, it’s fine. I don’t… do much except the summer musical and some odd jobs. Uhm… it’s fine. I’m sure Kyuhyun and I will get along just fine, I’m good with kids.”

Jongwoon didn’t catch the glance that his mother and Mrs. Cho shared.
 

♥규 성♥



“Let’s go shopping this weekend.” Kibum suggested, “I also want to get a haircut in time for the musical. Sound good?”

Beside him, Sungmin and Ryeowook bobbed their heads.

Jongwoon sighed, “I can’t. I promised my mom and her friend I’d babysit her kid for like… a whole week.”

“A week, good god, babysitting a kid for that long.” Kibum muttered, “How old is the kid?”

“I dunno, his mom says he’s still a baby.”

“Someone’s going to trust you with their baby?” Sungmin laughed, “Oh my god, let’s go to Sungie’s house and make sure the baby survives the first day.”

Ryeowook and Kibum chuckled and Jongwoon glared at Sungmin, “I’m great with babies. I helped take care of Jongjin all the time.”

Sungmin grinned, “I know, I know. I’m just playing with you, hyung. We did meet, after all, at the park when I was taking Sungjin and you were taking Jongjin.”
Jongwoon nodded, mollified.

“I wouldn’t mind terribly if y’all did come over to help me though. I don’t think he’s a baby-baby. I think he’s like a toddler or something. I dunno, I never really paid attention when our parents talked about Kyuhyun.”

“Kyuhyun, that’s a cute name.” Ryeowook spoke up, “Really, let’s go! We can bring toys for Kyuhyunnie to play with!”

“Count me out.” Kibum said, “Babies are not my style.”

“Aw, c’mon, Bummie, at least for a little while.”

Kibum sighed and glanced at his friends, “I don’t want to hang out with a baby.”

“But you’ll do it for us?”

“Yeah, yeah.”

The other three boys cheered, “It’ll be fun, Bummie, promise!” Jongwoon declared, sounding much more confident than he felt.



♥규 성♥



Jongwoon was first to the door when the bell rang.

He was curious when he pulled it open and found a boy standing there.He was tall and lanky, all limbs and elbows. He frowned at Jongwoon and pushed his glasses farther up his nose.

“Can I help you?”

“My mother’s parking the car.” The boy said as if that explained anything.

“… kay. Who are you?”

The boy blinked at him and pushed his glasses up again, “Cho Kyuhyun-imnida.”

Jongwoon’s eyebrows shot up.

“Can I come in? It’s hot right here. The sun is right on me.”

Jongwoon bemusedly stepped backwards to allow the clearly-not-a-toddler boy in.

“You… are Kyuhyun? Your mother said you were a baby.”

Kyuhyun frowned and gripped the straps of his backpack, “Doesn’t your mother call you her baby?”

“No, she has Jongjin for that. How old are you?”

“How old do I look?”

“Ten.”

Kyuhyun grimaced, “I’m nearly fifteen!”

“Really? You seem much younger. My brother is fifteen too. He’s got a job. Why don’t you work, too? Why do you need a babysitter?”

“You talk too much.” Kyuhyun rocked on the balls of his feet, “I said I’m nearly fifteen. In like… a year. I’ll work too when I’m old enough. And… by the way, I don’t need a babysitter. I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself.”

“Then why does your mother think you need a babysitter?”

Kyuhyun frowned.

“Because if there’s no on there to remind him to do his work, he’ll just sit around and play video games from morning to night.” Mrs. Cho said as she came in, “Hello, Jongwoon.”

Jongwoon bowed, “Welcome to our home. Please come in, mother’s making us lunch before you leave.”

Mrs. Cho ushered her son to follow Jongwoon, “What do you think of Jongwoon, Kyunnie?”

“I think he must not have much of a social life if he can spend a week looking after me.”

Jongwoon snorted at the sound of Mrs. Cho smacking Kyuhyun’s arm, “Wow.”

“Mother, the Cho’s are here. Kyuhyun is fourteen, did you know that? Did you know that?”

Jongwoon’s mother laughed, “I did. We didn’t tell you because we figured you’d outright refuse.”

“You would have been correct. I agreed to help, though and I will keep my word.” Jongwoon sighed, eyeing the boy.

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun’s mothers provided much of the chatter during lunch with Kyuhyun and Jongwoon glancing at each other to gauge the other’s personality.

When the conversation lulled, Kyuhyun spoke up, “You said your 15 year old brother works, how come you don’t?”

Kyuhyun.”

“It’s fine. I do work, Kyuhyun-ssi. I act in musicals and theater programs and help produce them as well as help keep things running smoothly when we open. Jongjin works at a café.” Jongwoon answered easily.

“Uhm… some of the guys from the group are coming over later. They wanted to help me look after Kyuhyun.” He told his mother.

“They’re good boys,” Jongwoon’s mother assured Mrs. Cho, “Woonie’s friends are very polite and responsible.”

“How sweet.” Mrs. Cho smiled, “Isn’t that nice, Kyunnie? You’ll have a chance to learn so much about theater.”

“Have you got an interest in theater, Kyuhyun-ssi?”

Kyuhyun shrugged.

“He sings beautifully.” Mrs. Cho answered, “He sings at our church. Like an angel. He’s going to audition for a company in a year or two.”

“Cool.” Jongwoon said with a smile.

“Have you ever auditioned for a company, Woonie?” Kyuhyun asked.

Mrs. Cho elbowed the boy, “Sorry, Jongwoon-ssi.”

“No.” Jongwoon replied, rolling his eyes at Kyuhyun when the boy looked at him, “I haven’t. I like singing and acting, as well. I want to be on stage.”

“So you must not have a lot of talent, huh?” He smirked at Jongwoon.

Cho Kyuhyun,” Mrs. Cho sighed, “One more time and I’m taking your PSP with me.”

Kyuhyun’s smirk vanished instantly.Jongwoon grinned and the younger narrowed his eyes at the implication.

“I just don’t want to, Kyuhyun-ssi. If you do, that’s fantastic. I hope you do well.”

They both gave each other a fake smile.



♥규 성♥
 

“Aren’t you supposed to be doing your summer homework?” Jongwoon asked, watching Kyuhyun tapping incessantly at his PSP.

“Mm.” Kyuhyun grunted, “I’ll do it later.”

“Your mom said I could take away your PSP if you don’t do your homework.”

Kyuhyun paused his game, “I’d like to see you try.”

“You’re like, 10, Kyuhyun and you’re smaller than my brother, who I assure you, can’t take me.”

They glared at each other until the doorbell rang.

“Get ready, we’re going to the theater. You can do your homework there.”

Jongwoon left to answer the door and Kyuhyun unpaused his game.

“Where’s the baby?” Ryeowook when they walked in, “You can’t just leave babies alone by themselves!”

“Don’t worry.” Jongwoon sighed, “Baby’s in the living room, being an .”

“Wha- you can’t say that about babies.” Ryeowook rushed towards the living room.

“See? I’m not good with babies. I should go.” Kibum said, turning towards the door.

Sungmin laughed and pushed Kibum towards the living room.

“Jongwoon, this is not a baby.” Ryeowook called.

Sungmin and Kibum glanced backwards at their friend who motioned them forward, “You’re telling me, Wook. I’m pretty sure if he was a baby, he’d be way more polite and considerate.”

Jongwoon followed his friends in, “Guys, this is Cho Kyuhyun. He’s fourteen.”

Kyuhyun sat with his game in his lap, nervously eying the three new young men. He pushed his glasses farther up his nose.

“Kyuhyun-ssi, this is Kim Ryeowook, no relation. Lee Sungmin and Kim Kibum, also no relation.” He gestured to each boy as he introduced them.

“Kyuhyun will accompany us to the theater and do his homework.”

Kyuhyun frowned.

He stood and introduced himself to each boy. “Uhm… I guess thanks for taking care of me.”

“How come you didn’t say that to me when you met me?” Jongwoon asked.

“Cause they’re not getting paid to do it.” Kyuhyun stuck his tongue out at the older.

“Whoa, what?” Kibum asked, “We’re not?” He feigned shock.

“Only in experience with brats.” Jongwoon laughed, “Are you ready to go? We don’t have to walk because Minnie brought his car, right?”

Sungmin smiled brightly, “Follow me if you guys are ready!”

As Kyuhyun followed Jongwoon out, he tugged on the older’s shirt.

“I’m not a brat.” He murmured so that only the older could hear.

Jongwoon grinned , “Then quit acting like one.”

Kyuhyun sat between Kibum and Ryeowook in the backseat, Jongwoon sitting by Sungmin in the front, “Eldest up front.” Jongwoon told Kyuhyun,

“Remember that. It’s called being respectful.”

“That and everyone always wants to sit by Minnie.” Ryeowook joked.

The other boys laughed.

“Min’s cute enough to make everyone who sits by him look better as well, isn’t that how it works?” Jongwoon glanced over at Sungmin who snorted in response.

Kyuhyun cocked his head for a moment, “Wouldn’t it be that a handsome person makes others look bad by comparison?”

“Nah, Min’s too polite to do that.” Kibum replied.

Kyuhyun glanced over at Kibum who was looking out the window. Kyuhyun glanced at Ryeowook who was also looking out the window, a small smile on his face.

Ryeowook seemed to notice he was being watched.

His eyes moved to Kyuhyun and he grinned, “So what do you like to do, Kyuhyun-ssi?”

“I like video games.” Kyuhyun said. He pushed his glasses up his nose, “And uhm… singing.”

“What kind of video games?” Kibum asked.

“Oh… like… action, adventure… fantasy. I like RPGs and like, I like Starcraft a lot.”

“Yeah?” Kibum turned to face him, “Me, too. No one else here likes to play.”

“Really? Why not? It’s a lot of fun.”

Kibum smiled at him and Kyuhyun was struck at how his face changed from stoic and almost cold to warm and handsome.

“Neeerds.” Sungmin sang from up front, “It’s okay, Kyuhyun-ssi. We won’t judge you too much.”

The other boys laughed and Jongwoon turned to look at Kyuhyun, “Your mom said you sing in church.”

“Yeah, I do.”

“You any good?” Jongwoon asked.

“I dunno… I guess. People tell me I’m good.” Kyuhyun looked around, “What, uh… what do you all do in the theater?”

“We all act.” Sungmin said, “But we each have our specialties. Kibum’s the best actor. Woon and Wook are the best singers and I’m just there to look pretty.”

Jongwoon gave Sungmin’s arm a light slap, “Yeah, right. Sungmin’s great at singing and dancing.”

“And he knows martial arts and-“ Ryeowook joined in.

“Stop it.” Sungmin laughed, waving his hand as if to shoo them away, “Ah, really, you embarrass me.”

Kyuhyun watched their animated conversation curiously.

Soon they were at the theater, trouping out of the car excitedly. Kyuhyun followed a few steps behind until Jongwoon glanced back and saw him. Kyuhyun pushed his glasses up his nose.

“Don’t be shy. Everyone’s really nice.” He gestured for Kyuhyun to hurry and when the boy hesitated, Jongwoon stepped towards him and took his wrist, pulling him along.

They walked through the lobby, past the auditorium. Kyuhyun saw through the doors and there were people on stage laughing and talking animatedly.

“Today we’re holding auditions.” Jongwoon explained. “Kibum’s expected to get the lead.”

Kyuhyun tore his eyes away from his wrist where Jongwoon’s small hand was still clutching him and looked at Kibum who grinned, “Whatever, man, I won’t celebrate until it’s definite.”

They led Kyuhyun backstage where much more people were practicing, stretching, dancing, singing and generally chatting and laughing.

“HEY!” Jongwoon called.

Everyone quieted and turned to him.

Jongwoon held up Kyuhyun’s hand, “This is Cho Kyuhyun, please take care of him for me!” With that he released the boy’s wrist.

Several people moved towards the small group, chattering excitedly, “Is this a new talent, Jongwoon-ssi?” One boy asked, “He’s cute, can he sing?”

“Look at that sweet face.”

Several girls cooed over him, “How old is he, Jongwoon-ssi?” One particularly cute girl asked.

“He’s fourteen so keep your cougar hands off him.” Jongwoon said laughing, “He’s hanging out with us while our mothers are having a vacation. So please be nice to him. He says he can sing so I guess we’ll find out, huh? Introduce yourself, Kyuhyun-ssi.”

“Oh-“

Kyuhyun bowed shyly and pushed his glasses further up his nose, “Uhm- j-jeoneun Cho Kyuhyun-imnida.”

The girls squealed and Kyuhyun backed up several steps, bumping into Jongwoon behind him.

Jongwoon laughed again and pat Kyuhyun’s back, “It’s okay, they won’t bite. Well, Sunny might. Luna definitely will.”

The two girls growled cutely at him and held their hands up as if imitating bears.

Kyuhyun made a mental note to avoid those two.

He followed Jongwoon closely as the young man made his way to the main stage, “Want to audition?”

He turned and Kyuhyun ran smack into him.

“Whoa, nearly bent my nose- are you okay?”

“Don’t just stop suddenly.” Kyuhyun mumbled sulkily, “I- I’m fine. I don’t want to audition.”

“You sure? It might be fun.”

Sungmin bounced over to them, “C’mon Kyuhyun-ssi, we want to hear your voice. Woonie said that your mom said you sing like an angel.”

“Mother’s tend to exaggerate about the talents of their children.” Kyuhyun said matter-of-factly, pushing his glasses up his nose.

“That’s so cute.” Sungmin giggled, “You do that when you’re nervous, don’t you?”

“Do what?”

Sungmin mimicked Kyuhyun pushing invisible glasses up his nose. The older boy laughed, “It’s endearing.”

He turned to Jongwoon, “Have you noticed that?”

“No, you’re far more observant than I ever have been.” Jongwoon said, thoughtfully peering closer at Kyuhyun for a moment.

“C’mon, Kyuhyun-ssi, let’s sit down. You don’t have to sing or audition if you don’t want to. You do have to do your homework though.”

Jongwoon led Kyuhyun and Sungmin to the front row seats, ushering them into the seats on either side of himself.He motioned to Kibum who gave a loud whistle.

“Everyone to the stage!” Ryeowook called. The two sat down on the stage facing Jongwoon, Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

Jongwoon stood, “We’re just waiting for our director and then we’ll start the auditions. Hi everyone! I’m glad to see so many excited, happy faces for our production! There are some familiar faces and some new ones, so this should be very exciting. We’ll wait for our director to announce what we’re going to perform this summer!”

He gestured to himself, “Jeoneun Kim Jongwoon-imnida!”

“This is my right-hand man, Lee Sungmin.”

Sungmin waved with both hands, smiling brightly.

“Those two gentlemen up there are Kim Kibum.” Kibum turned to the group and smiled softly.

“And Kim Ryeowook.” Ryeowook waved happily, “Hello~!”

“No relation to either.” Jongwoon said laughing, “Several of you know me already but for the newcomers, I’m the producer of this production! I’ll also be auditioning and performing – that is, if I’m accepted into the production.”

Several people laughed and Kyuhyun looked around, wondering what the joke was.

Sungmin saw his confusion, “It’s funny because Woonie will certainly have a part in the show. Him, Bummie, Wookie always have parts. You can count on it. Alongside them, there will definitely be Lee Donghae, Choi Siwon… and usually Kim Heechul. They’re the best actors.”

“What about you?” Kyuhyun asked curiously.

Sungmin shrugged, “Sometimes I do, sometimes not.” He smiled, “It’s whatever. I just love to be here, with my friends. It’s all I can ask for.”

Kyuhyun turned his attention back to Jongwoon, talking to the group about the audition process.

Sungmin smiled when he saw Kyuhyun watching him, “So do you really have an interest in theater?”

Kyuhyun shrugged, “I haven’t really thought about it. I want to sing more than anything.”

“Yeah? Even more than video games?”

Kyuhyun smiled at that, “Video games are for fun. I don’t want it as a job. That would take away the fun.”

“Wouldn’t the same happen with singing?”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “I love singing too much to let that happen.”

“Then you should definitely sing for us!” Jongwoon said, his hands on his hips.

Kyuhyun and Sungmin hadn’t noticed that the young man had stopped talking to the group and had begun listening to their conversation.

Kyuhyun slid deeper into his seat, “I’ll… think about it.”

“Good afternoon, everyone!” A handsome young man came in, followed by a stockier man with a bag.

“I’m your Director, Park Jungsu. This is my dear friend and assistant, Kim Youngwoon.”

Park Jungsu saw Jongwoon and smiled widely. The two greeted each other warmly, like long-time friends.

Jungsu also greeted Sungmin, Kibum and Ryeowook warmly before turning to Kyuhyun, “You’re a new face. Are you auditioning today?”

“He doesn’t want to.” Jongwoon said, smiling at Kyuhyun, “And he doesn’t have to, but he does have to do his homework.”

Kyuhyun pouted but held up his bag, “I got it, I got it, Jongwoon-ssi.”

Jongwoon grinned, “You can call us hyung, Kyu-ah.”

Kyuhyun pushed his glasses up his nose, but nodded.

“Alright!” Jungsu clapped his hands, “We’re all here so let’s get this underway! We’ll be going in order of people who signed up.”

Jongwoon leaned in, “What’re we performing this year?”

“Oh!” Jungsu laughed, “This year we shall be performing…” He held his hands up, smiling when everyone seemed to lean forward in anticipation, “West Side Story!”

The group erupted into cheers and whistles. The room is filled with the busy hum of excited and happy chatter.

“First up!” Jungsu clapped his hands, “Kim Kibum!”

Everyone cleared off the stage quickly and Kibum jumped to his feet. Ryeowook called out a wish for luck to Kibum who smiled nervously.

Everyone shuffled to find seats to watch and Kyuhyun pulled his textbooks from his backpack.A couple of young men pulled a long table before Jungsu and Youngwoon dug into the bag he held. He passed out clipboards to each Jongwoon, Sungmin, Jungsu and kept the last for himself. Ryeowook sat beside Kyuhyun, smiling happily.

Even though he was supposed to work on his homework, Kyuhyun couldn’t help but watch the auditions with interest. Kibum was, as the others claimed, an excellent actor. He performed a short monologue that, when he was finished, had several people in the crowd sniffling. Ryeowook had a sweet birdlike voice that hit notes Kyuhyun hadn’t even known existed. Sungmin acted a small part before singing a short song. His voice was lovely and cheerful and it made Kyuhyun happy to hear it.

He was completely unprepared for Jongwoon’s voice. It was deep and perfect and Kyuhyun stared in shock. Jongwoon sang a rock song called, “The More I Love”. When he was finished, the crowd applauded thunderously.

Sungmin stood, clapping and cheering for his friend. He looked aside and grinned when he saw Kyuhyun’s expression. He leaned across Jongwoon’s empty seat and tapped the bottom of Kyuhyun’s chin, “You’ll catch flies like that.”

Kyuhyun’s mouth snapped shut and he shoved his glasses farther up his face, his face unusually warm.

“He’s good, huh?”

Kyuhyun gave a shrug, “He’s- he’s very good. I guess.”

Ryeowook laughed beside him, “He’s better than just ‘good’. Woon’s the best voice we have.”

On stage Jongwoon was smiling brightly. He stepped down and walked back towards his seat. Passing Kibum and Ryeowook, he gave them each highfives and another for Sungmin on the other side of his seat. Jongwoon sat beside Kyuhyun, grinning at the pats on the back he received from his friends around him.

“How did I do?” He asked Kyuhyun.

The boy blinked owlishly behind his glasses, his hand moving to push them up his nose when he caught himself.

He lowered his hand, “You have an admirable voice.”

“You sure you don’t want to sing for us?”

Kyuhyun’s hand reacted faster than his brain. He pushed his glasses up his nose.

“Can I really?”

“Yeah!” Jongwoon reached over and took the list of auditions, flipping to the end and writing in Kyuhyun’s name, “You’ll have to go last, is that okay?”
 

Kyuhyun nodded, “Yes, that’s- that’s fine. Thank you… hyung.”

Jongwoon smiled and Kyuhyun was struck at how young and lighthearted the older boy looked when he smiled. It was like Kibum’s gorgeous smile.

“Are- are you sure you and Kibum-hyung aren’t related?” Kyuhyun asked suddenly.

Jongwoon laughed, “We seem alike perhaps? He’s a great guy, that’s quite a compliment.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “Nevermind. I’ll, uhm… I’ll work on my homework, now. Please alert me when it’s my turn.”

“Sure thing, Kyu-ah, and don’t hesitate to ask us for help if you need it, okay?”

Kyuhyun gave him a small smile and pushed his glasses up his nose, “If I need help, I’ll ask.”



♥규 성♥



There were several more people before Kyuhyun’s turn and the boy found himself being easily distracted. Still, he continued with his homework, pausing at times to watch an audition and to murmur questions to Jongwoon and Sungmin about the process.

Ryeowook helpfully pointed out who was who.

Choi Siwon was a handsome, tall young man. He seemed to be endlessly patient too and friendly. The kind of guy you wanted to dislike for being perfect but couldn’t, cause he was so genuinely nice. His acting wasn’t near Kibum’s level but he was very good. He surprised everyone by doing a comedy piece and soon, the room was alive with laughter.

Lee Donghae seemed to be goofy, silly even. He was friendly and joked with everyone but when he went on stage, he seemed to change completely. His monologue was thought-provoking, at times funny and at times it pulled at the heartstrings of the audience. When Donghae smiled, he smiled with unconditional love and happiness. It was the smile of a man who had weathered painful times and yet still managed to remain positive.

Kim Heechul was long limbed and beautiful. He had a tongue that could cut through metal and didn’t seem to be afraid to use it. His pretty face hid his sharp comments, making Kyuhyun very confused. But he found Heechul to be admirable.

Heechul talked animatedly with Kibum and another young man who hadn’t auditioned until near the end when a dance group auditioned together.
In it was the young man who introduced himself in accented, stuttering Korean as Hankyung but commented in Chinese that his real name was Han Geng. Beside him was Donghae, and two other young men that Kyuhyun hadn’t seen yet. One a skinny guy who introduced himself as Lee Hyukjae who had a terribly interesting face and a perpetually smiling guy who said his name was Shin Donghee but that people should call him Shindong to avoid confusion.

The four danced impressively and Kyuhyun wondered if he could ever learn moves like that. He found himself to be a little clumsy and lanky to really dance well. At least, that’s what he thought when he caught himself dancing along to songs he liked.

After the dance group there were a few more single auditions and then finally, Jongwoon was nudging his elbow, “You’re next. Did you want us to use any special music?”

Kyuhyun thought about it a moment, “Is there a piano here?”

Sungmin leaned over, “Yes. It’s just off stage, me and Kibum can help drag it out.”

Sungmin jumped up from his seat and grabbed Kibum’s arm to lead him up onstage.

They disappeared into the wings of the stage for a moment.

“Cho Kyuhyun-ssi.” Jungsu called.

Ryeowook and Jongwoon helpfully pulled his text books off his lap and he stood up.

He glanced back at Jongwoon who smiled encouragingly, “You’ll do fine, Kyu-ah. Fighting!”

Kyuhyun nodded, a small smile appearing when Ryeowook said the same thing.

He made his way to the stage as Kibum and Sungmin moved the piano onstage. He clutched his hands in front of himself as they trooped down the stairs and back to the audience.

“Are you going to sing for us?” Jungsu asked.

Kyuhyun nodded and pushed his glasses up his nose, “Y-yes. Uhm, I don’t have music prepared… I’ll accompany myself on piano. Is that okay?”

“Yes, it’s just fine. Start whenever you’re ready.”

Kyuhyun nodded and blinked against the glare of the lights on stage. He thought he could see Jongwoon and Sungmin sitting together, their heads inclined towards each other talking to each other but watching him. He cleared his throat and took a deep breath. He sat down on the piano bench and stretched his hands for a moment.

He took the time to briefly thank his mother in his head for making him take all those piano lessons.

He moved his fingers over the keys, a soft, sad ballad filling the room.Kyuhyun took a deep breath and sang the first words, hearing the audience quiet dramatically.

He suddenly stopped though and looked into the audience, “I always sing slow sad songs whenever I have to sing. I’m tired of it.”

He pushed his glasses up his nose and smiled to himself.

Hands splayed over the keys of the piano he began a faster tune. He could hear Jongwoon’s laughter in the audience .

Isn't she lovely
Isn't she wonderful
Isn't she precious
Less than one minute old
I never thought through love we'd be
Making one as lovely as she
But isn't she lovely made from love

The audience was spellbound. Kyuhyun’s voice was solid and beautiful, even at the tender age of fourteen. He was soothing, even while singing such an upbeat song.

He whistled in lieu of a harmonica, resulting in another soft laugh from Jongwoon.

When he finished, the audience erupted into loud cheers and applause and Kyuhyun shoved his glasses up his nose, blinking owlishly against the lights.
He stood and bowed, thanking them for allowing him to audition.

When he made his way down the stairs, Jongwoon, Sungmin and Ryeowook were there to greet him, rushing forward to embrace him.
Kyuhyun nearly ran back up the stairs but they were faster.

He couldn’t really understand the three talking over each other.

“That was-“

“So great!”

“Amazing!”

“Your mother wasn’t lying!”

“You said she was exaggerating!”

“Really-“

They practically carried him back to his seat where several others pat his back and complimented him. There was even an impressive look and another gorgeous smile from Kibum.

“Good job finding this one.” Jungsu leaned in to tell Jongwoon.

“Actually, his mother found me.”

Jungsu laughed and stood up to step onstage.

He thanked everyone for their participation and promised that they would have a list up by the end of the week. Everyone stood and applauded everyone else’s efforts before breaking into excited chatter.

“Director Park is really excited, Kyu-ah, you did so well.” Jongwoon said among the people still complimenting Kyuhyun, “You’ve got a beautiful voice.”

“Thanks, hyung. I know.” Kyuhyun tried to smile at the people who commented but he felt some anxiety.

“Oh, modest, too.” Jongwoon laughed.

“Huh? Oh… no, I didn’t…” Kyuhyun blushed and pushed his glasses up his nose, “I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant… thanks. Uhm… what- what should I do if I get chosen for a part?”

Sungmin, Jongwoon and Ryeowook all answered in unison, “Perform.”

“Oh.” Kyuhyun blinked, “Yeah… I guess, I’ll have to check with my mother.”

“Don’t worry about it for now.” Jongwoon laughed, “You’re fine. How about we get some food, Kibum and I will treat.”

“Hey, what? I’m one of the youngest-“

“You’re after Minnie-ah and he’s driving.”

Kibum glanced backwards and forwards between the group, “… damn.”

He sighed, “Fine. Eh… I’ll do it cause Kyuhyun’s such a good singer.”

As everyone gathered their things and prepared to leave, Kyuhyun pulled Jongwoon aside.

“Uhm…” He pushed his glasses up his nose, “Thanks, hyung…”

Jongwoon grinned and gently eased Kyuhyun’s glasses down a bit, “Don’t bruise yourself doing that too much.”

Kyuhyun blushed and nodded, his hand reaching upwards to fix his glasses automatically.

Jongwoon laughed, “Anyway, it’s good for you to get out more away from your video games.”

“I guess.” Kyuhyun glanced aside, “Mom says all those video games are immature but I know I’m super mature.”

“Did you get much of your homework done?”

“Not really.” Kyuhyun admitted flippantly, “But I guess you can help me later. Tomorrow. Can I play Starcraft when we get back to your place?”

“You should probably finish your homework.”

“I can do it later. It’s super easy, anyway. Can I? Hey, do you have any ice cream?”

“Didn’t you just say you were super mature? Did you wait this whole day to start acting like a fourteen year old?”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “I am fourteen, hyung, how am I supposed to act?”

Jongwoon blinked, “More… mature?”

“Never mind that, hyung, you keep evading my questions.”

“No, you can’t play Starcraft, you must do your homework and no, I don’t have ice cream.”

“What  are you, too cheap to buy ice cream?”

“Aish, this kid.”

“What’s wrong with this kid?” Sungmin asked, joining the conversation.

“Did you know he’s fourteen? He acts like it.”

Sungmin grinned, “He is fourteen, hyung- shouldn’t he?”

“Yeah, hyung.” Kyuhyun grinned.

Jongwoon eyed the two warily.

“I get the feeling I’m going to be ganged up on by you two a lot, aren’t I?” Jongwoon shook his head, “This is what I get for hanging out with people younger than me.”

Sungmin linked an arm with Jongwoon’s, “It’s okay, hyung. We like you easily pliant. Right, Kyu-ah?”

Kyuhyun linked his arm with Jongwoon’s free arm, “Yeah, that’s right, hyung. We’re getting ice cream though, right?”

Together they dragged Jongwoon forward towards Ryeowook and Kibum waiting for them at the exit.

“Hyung’s also treating us to ice cream!” Sungmin called, garnering cheers from Ryeowook and Kyuhyun and a defeated groan from Jongwoon.



♥규 성♥
 

A/N: This is quite different from the original incarnation of this fic. In any case, this has turned out to be more of a friendship fic the reason being in the fic Yesung is 18 and Kyuhyun is 14 and I’m fairly uncomfortable with that being any sort of romantic relationship, at that age.
Say in the future Kyuhyun is 20 and Yesung is 24, then fine, that’s all good, haha – I left the fic open-ended so you can decide what the future could be for them.

Perhaps they become good friends, despite the age difference, and it grows to be a romantic relationship (much) later on. Whatever you like to imagine in its place, is up to you. Hope you enjoyed!