Numb

Numb (A ChangYoon One-shot)

 

“So this is it then, a clean break.” She laughed bleakly at her own words, her voice devoid of any emotion. No hurt, no desperation, no anger. No nothing, and that was what made it harder for him to confront his own feelings.

 

“We both knew this was going to happen eventually.” He leaned on the wall stiffly with his hands on his pockets and reverted his eyes from her lone figure seated on the floor opposite him. The fluorescent light from the exit sign at the end of the hallway casts a dim glow on them. It was one-thirty in the morning.

 

Yoona ran a numb hand through her locks as she commanded her brain to function. “So we just go back to how things were and pretend as if nothing happened.” It wasn’t a question so much so as final statement to their current predicament. Changmin’s head was throbbing so much--- whether from the three glasses of whiskey Kyuhyun had shoved to him two hours ago (for courage he says) or from this dreaded conversation he was having, maybe both but he doesn’t really care much at this point.

 

“We can be friends. I mean we were friends before things changed.” Changmin supplied, albeit nothing he says could fix this mess now. It was his entire fault after all.

 

“Friends?” Yoona laughed humorlessly once again making Changmin flinch. “You think it’s going to be as easy as that?”

 

Changmin sighed in defeat, his broad shoulders slumping tiredly.

 

“You could have broken up with me much earlier and I wouldn’t have hoped for nothing at all.” She can’t even cry now, all of her tears have been used up since being with him. Changmin kneeled in front of her, his face a painting of abject remorse and guilt.

 

“You’re one of the most important people in my life Yoona but---” she cut him off.

 

“You just don’t feel the same way about me anymore. I get it Changmin, you don’t need to explain anything to me.” Her tone was monotonous.

 

“I’m sorry, Yoona. Truly.”

 

Maybe what you meant was, “I’m sorry I fell in love with another woman Yoona.” She thought, a bitter taste filled .

 

Yoona stood up and brushed off invisible dirt from her jeans and faced away from Changmin, she can’t bear to look at him anymore. He was still kneeling, hands covering his face. She doesn’t understand why Changmin looked so broken and her numb. She was the one being dumped for another girl after all.

 

“Well I’m sorry too Changmin. Truly.” Copying his apology she walked off to the opposite end of the hallway and to the exit door, never did she once turn back to look at him.

 

So this is what it is like. To have your heart broken and then fixed (by him) just to be broken (by him) all over again. She’s been hurt too much in the past that nothing was left of her.

 

Too much mental, emotional and physical pain.  

 

But... She was numb now.