yearning.

drowning (in misery)

his gaze was transfixed to the vast sea on his peripheral. the soft breeze blew on his ears, telling him with hushed whispers about nothing. sand passed through the gaps of his feet, him remembering what it felt like to be with her on the past.

he hopefully looks at the ocean, the fresh memory of several weeks – or was it months ago? –  when she left him. she told him she would come back, that she would be with him, once this was all long gone.

his hands left the soft sand and he hung it up, remembering the feeling of his fingers intertwined with hers.

but now only empty air was intertwined with it, sinking all of his feelings to the bottom of his heart.

he felt like he would just burst, he could scream at the sky, he could curse at the damned sea – where she ultimately left him hanging in misery, because he could never forget her – how could he? – because he has a promise that he must not break, that he must not disobey, because he knew that she was waiting for him, to welcome her back, and, for them to fall in love again.

the feeling of their lips shyly brushing together and their blissful voices made his breath hitch. the soft caresses he let her do, the whispers of ‘i love you’ and ‘i need you’ was deeply engraved to his mind.

how can she expect him to let go?

he knew that those memories were his own delusions, were his own fabricated memories – were those lies that he told himself to believe to.

she did not ask him to wait for her. she asked him to wake up. to let go.

and the sea made his tears leak, his wrecked sobs to erupt – because this place reminds him of what he really was, because both of them yearns for something they cannot have.

she left him hanging, drowning in misery,

and yet,

he still loves her.

what a weak, naïve, juvenile man.

his pathetic laugh was heard all night long, until it died because of the heavy rain and the ocean itself drowning his melodic voice.

he was already gone, long ago.