promise

Beautiful Dancer

10 years and 6.   

 

Silent world, time goes by with out a feel of loss. Ticks were never heard, raindrops and the sound of music. Silence, she is writing. 

A curious case, a curious person. Boy meets girl. Arabasque, a twirl, jump and spin. 

A peek into the world of sound, the world of art. Eyes meet, a heart skips a beat. Feet move, run and hide. Write again in the dark. Erase, write, erase write. 

"Hello?" She can not hear. A smile, flashes of light hits her face. She turns around. Girl meets boy, a smile.

"Hey, can you tap?" the fingers try to show. A sign, she holds a sign. 'I can't hear you'. White teeth against tan skin, chestnut hair, straight down. 

 

Slowly, carefully. Music plays, invisible to her ears. "Follow me", he mouths, placing his hands on the speakers. She follows, and feels the beat, the rhythm in her heart. 

It's addicting, this is her first contact with sound. 

They lie on the floor, his movements still play on her mind, his graceful twirls, sudden jumps and subtle and powerful moves. On his back, her on her stomach, feet up in the air. 

He takes her hand, to feel his heartbeat. Something skips, and they're not sure who's heart it was.

Up the stairs, a giggle escapes , though she's not sure how she sounds. They run, reaching the top, to enjoy a sunset together. "Can you teach me how to dance?" she tries to form the words, but she's  not sure how she sounds.

The shocked face on his face is enough, but she's not sure if its because of her question of because she said something. "Yeah, sure" he mouths in reply. She smiles, basking in the sunlight.

Unaware at the loving stare he gives her.

"Okay, follow me"  he says, he poses with his hands above his head and a leg on his knee. She follows, almost mirroring the move perfectly. He moves, showing her the whole dance, and slows down to teach her.

Every afternoon, they always dance. A move a time, until she gets it right. 

"Are you ready for the last move?" he asks. She nods enthusiastically. He points o his feet, as if saying  "Put your feet here"They wrap their arms around each other, her arms reaching his hips only. They dance, swaying from one foot to the other.

"I think I might be moving soon",  she says, non-chalantly. He looks down at her "Really?",  he asks. Right now he can only be glad that she couldn't hear, or else the rack in his voice would be heard. 

"Let's make a promise" he mouths.  "Promise?", she asks, head tilted to the side. "Yes, later, when we meet again, we have to this dance. And it has to be perfect!" he says, jokingly. 

"Alright!" she says, louder this time. They continue to dance, until she is finally called for dinner. 

"See you around, I guess?" Jongin mouths to Raeyoung. She nods, chalkboard in hand, though she rarely uses it around him.

"Oh Jongin, did you say goodbye to Raeyoung?" his mother asks as soon as he gets home. "Yes, why?" Jongin asks, curious. "Oh, she's moving", she said.  "I know", he says, and walk in, forgeting the topic.

Feet on the pavement. Run, run , run! Jongin reaches the dance parlour, breathless and panting. "Oh Jongin", Hinam Saeng says. "Is -is Is Raeyoung here?" he asks, still slightly breathless.

"Haeyoung?" Hinam frowns. "She didn't tell you? She moved yesterday". Hinam says, walking out of the parlor. Jongin's eyes open wide, and he makes his way towards her cupboard. 

Opening it, with a creak, her shoes were there. Red and cream colored, her 'dancing shoes' as she says. He doesn't realize how he feels until she's already left, and now it feels like there's an empty feeling in his chest, like a tooth pulled out.