The Last Meeting

[ONESHOT] The Last Meeting

A man dressed in a grey three piece suit, stood by the windows that overlooked the crowd who had gathered for the spring wedding. Chatter and laughter from below reached his ears as he twiddled with the gold wedding band on his finger. Thinking of her.

“Hey.”
 
The soft voice stopped his twiddling and he stood rooted to the spot. He waited, thinking that it came from the level below but it sounded like it was within the room, and his ears strained to hear the voice again. “Henry.”
 
He whipped his head in the direction of the woman’s laughter. The familiar laughter which he loved so much that he would tackle her with tickles to hear it for his pleasure. The very one that he had missed ever since she left him five years ago.
 
“You,” he breathed.
 
“Me.” She smiled shyly from where she stood in the middle of the room and watched him approached her apprehensively as he studied her from top to bottom, his lips slightly parted in disbelief.
 
“What? How— you..” His voice trailed off when he  finally stood in front of her. 
 
Her vibrant smile and the healthy glow of her skin were nothing like what he last saw of her. His confusion was laid to rest when their eyes met and he was transported back to their happier times. Their experience as maid of honour and best man together, the piggyback ride back to her home, their first night together, their first kiss, their first meeting when he had just moved to Korea as a child.
 
“Are you just going to gape at me the entire time?”
 
Henry snapped out of his reminiscence at her teasing and looked on wearily as she closed the distance between them. “I’ve missed you so much," she whispered.
 
She ran her hands circled his waist and laid her head on his shoulder as she tightened her arms around him. Henry couldn’t believe this was happening. The sting in his nose was the only warning before tears streamed down his cheek, as if an old dam have finally given way. He embraced her tightly and buried his nose in her hair while trying to stop his uncontrollable sobbing. 
 
“Don’t cry. Today is not a day for tears," she chuckled, patting his back like comforting a child.
 
“How are you here?” he choked, not letting her go when she tried to pull away.
 
“Because I wanted to see you, silly.” She wiped his tears with the end of her sleeve.
 
But you’ve never visited me in all those years.” He caught her hand and pressed it against his cheek, her cool hand felt awfully comforting on his warm skin.
 
“If I did, you wouldn’t be where you are today. You wouldn't have let me go,” she explained. “But I’ve come to let you know how happy I am that you’ve taken my words to heart.”
 
She held his hand and placed her other hand over his. He looked down and chuckled over the sight of the object on her wedding finger – the red plastic diamond ring that he had gotten her from the toy capsule vending machines which lined her neighbourhood grocery store.
 
“You still have it.” Henry grinned and she nodded with her gaze on his plastic gift.
 
“I will always keep it with me. But you should take off yours.” She touched the ring that he had been twiddling earlier and slide it passed his finger. “It’s time for a new beginning.” She laid the ring on his palm and closed his fingers over it.
 
“I guess it is.” He slipped the ring into the front pocket and pressed a hand over it to make sure it was there. “Today should have been ours five years ago," he mumbled.
 
“I know. Now if it weren’t for that called cancer that stole me away from you,” she chuckled.
 
“It isn’t funny. You were in so much pain."
 
However, her never faltering smile reassured him that it’s all in the past now. “Well, I’m no longer hurting so put on a happy face. Today is your special day.”
 
A knock sounded at the door but before Henry could react, it had already swung open followed by his best man dashing in with wild eyes. “What were you doing?"
 
Henry glanced from the corner of his eyes, worried that they have been discovered but she remained calm at his side and watched Siwon approached her. “Don’t worry. He can’t see me," she said.
 
“I’ve been trying to reach you for ten minutes. I thought you’ve gotten cold feet.” Henry was about to stopped him from walking anywhere closer to her but he was too late. He watched in astonishment as Siwon walked through her, which caused his body to do an involuntary shiver. “Is it just me, or is it chilly in here?” he looked around him.
 
“Anyways, why didn’t you pick up my calls?” Siwon grabbed the ring cushion from the lounge chair and brought out a black box from inside of his jacket and arranged the wedding bands on it. “Let’s go. The ceremony's starting in ten minutes.”
 
“Uh.. Give me a moment. I’ll be down soon.” Henry only turned to her when they were alone again and found her staring at the door that had shut behind Siwon.
 
“How is he doing with Sulli?” she asked.
 
“Happily married with two kids." They stared at each other until he held his arms out for her.
 
She stepped into his open arms and he embraced her for the last time. They remained like that for a long time in silence and he was reluctant to release her when she reminded him that if he didn’t he would be late for his own wedding.
 
“I’m glad you found another per—” Henry stopped her from talking any further when he leaned in for a kiss. He held her small face in his hands and kissed her gently.
 
“I may have found another person,” he murmured, their lips brushing against each other's. “But you will always be in my heart. I love you.”
 
“I love you too.” She expressed her feelings with another peck on his smiling lips which suddenly disappeared and she followed his startled gaze as they watched her body gradually fade into the background. She knew her time was up as she became more translucent and she tiptoed to place a kiss on his forehead. “Goodbye, Henry.”
 
He grasped her fading hand, unwilling to let go of the inevitable. “Goodbye, Amber,” he choked.
 
 
And his favourite smile was the last he saw of her.