D-6

Melted Fondue of Love

 

“I hate White Day,” Hyukjae stated as he flopped down on the white couch, grabbing a pillow to hug it. His best friend let out a sound of laughter, putting down the magazine he was reading, “Oh, c’mon Hyuk, it’s perfectly normal for guys to return the favor on White Day.”

Hyukjae groaned. “Well, I don’t like the idea of spending my monthly allowance for them.” Hyukjae shot a stare at his best friend. Sungmin only sighed and shook his head, continuing to read the magazine he was reading for the past half-hour. He pushed up his white glasses  from the bridge of his nose while studying an article; He didn’t notice Hyukjae observing him a little too long from what normal friends usually do.

Hyukjae had to admit, even though Sungmin was what most people called as a nerd, he certainly know how to rock like one. Sungmin will constantly change his hair color practically every month or so. Last Christmas he had bleached and colored his hair a light blond that had the campus girls flocking all around him for most of time, calling him and texting him more than once whenever Hyukjae was over at his place. But being the polite gentleman his best friend was, Sungmin replied all those messages, also calling back some of the girls that he’d rejected during his time spent with Hyukjae. Sungmin had even spared some of his family time during the holiday to hang out with the girls. Sungmin now changed it to a brown mixed with a dominant red that made Hyukjae in dropped his jaw when he first saw him.

Sungmin also likes to constantly change his glasses’ frames. He changes it depending on holiday seasons, Hyukjae had noticed. Hyukjae wonders why Sungmin doesn’t wear contact lenses, but being the picky person his best friend is, Sungmin always preferred glasses better. ‘It didn’t irritate his eyes and it was more stylish’, Sungmin had said. Although Sungmin would still wear contact lenses occasionally. “Hyukjae?” A voice cut through his thoughts. “What are you thinking of?” Hyukjae flushed at the question when he realized what he had been doing. “Nothing,” he replied, embarrassed. Sungmin shrugged it off, eyes focusing back on his book.

Moments later, Sungmin’s eyes seem to brightened up at a particular page, fingers flipping back and forth through the page. He shifted his body a little so he was facing his best friend. “What do you think, Hyukkie?” The elder beamed a smile as he shoved an open magazine to his face. “Which recipe looks the most delicious one?”

Hyukjae held the book, flipping back and forth the pages as he observed various pictures of chocolates, cakes, truffles, ice cream, and many more. He pointed at a picture of a strawberry shortcake, flipping back to also point at a strawberry cheesecake, “Mm.” Sungmin snorted and chuckled, he should’ve known  to Hyukjae’s childish antiques of strawberries. Hyukjae only nodded reapproving, pointing out the picture again. “Aww, I should just make you a strawberry-syrup drink, Hyukkie.” Sungmin giggled childishly. Hyukjae grinned a bright smile with teeth showing, it made Sungmin giggled again at how his best friend looked like a five-year old child getting a present. Hyukjae opened his mouth as he was about his friend’s purpose of baking when he remembered his friend would occasionally baked whenever he liked to. His phone cut through the comfortable silence and he frowned. He noticed it was Donghae, probably asking him to hang out again, he slipped his phone back to his pocket.

“I have to go,” Hyukjae picked himself up, ruffling Sungmin’s hair. “I’m hanging out with the guys at the usual place.” Sungmin followed suit, following him to send him off by the door. Sungmin waved goodbye and closed the door. He took out his cell, fumbling through the keypads to message someone.

From: Sungmin

To: Bambi

Are you free tomorrow? It’s Saturday.

Moments later, he got a reply:

From: Bambi

To: Sungmin

Yes, what’s up?

Sungmin smiled to himself. Leaning the phone to his lips, he imagined tomorrow’s plans.