The Little Village

I Can't Step Back On This Endless Path

 

We arrive in a small village my father instructed of us, it was south of the country but not to close to the coast, we walk until we came across our new home. We were to live with other people, a new rule, if you had room for more people... well I think you know. My mother knocks on the front door, I look at her face and see she's frail... she had always been weak, since my father had enough strenght for us all, she never needed to take the lead or hold a strong front. The door opens and the woman smiles towards us. 
 
"Are you the mother and daughter from Seoul? The wife of the commander?" She askes leaning towards us. 
 
My mother smiles back. "Sorry that we have to inpose on you."
 
I bow to her as soon as her eyes meet mine. "Thank you for letting us stay with you for this time."
 
She shakes her hand infront of her face. "Honestly it'll be nice to have another girl about the house, I have two sons..." She makes a face that tells us just how she feels being the only woman about the place. "If only it were of better circumstances." 
 
We enter the house, and although it initially looked small, the inside felt huge, was it the lack of furniture- or maybe the warmth of a family home that made it fill a solt of my torn heart. "We don't have much with us, is there somewhere we can buy utencils? We couldnt even bring our toothbrushes." My mother talks to the woman as I look around the place. 
 
I find a bookcase and see that most of my favourite authors books filled the shelves. I find myself smiling for the first time... "You like to read?" I hear over my shoulder. 
 
I straighten myself and nod. 
 
She giggles to herself and responds. "You can read them if your bored, their my eldest sons, I'm sure he wont mind. He's not here to complain." 
 
"He isn't?" I say without even thinking. 
 
She nods but keeps a smile. "He's doing our country proud, as is his younger brother, our maknae and my husband." She leads me to the small fire place where theres a family portrait her sons look charming. 
 
My mother joins us and touches my shoulder. "They're very handsome, arent they Mina?" 
 
I nod. 
 
"Aigoo... and you're pretty too. How old are you?" She says walking towards the kitchen gesturing if we'd like a cup of tea.
 
My mother accepts and I tell her. "I'm 16."
 
'Ohh, what a lovely age to be.' She laughs. "Our maknae is 16 too."
 
......................
 
Soon night comes and I feel tired, I'm told I'm to sleep in Himchan's room, he's the oldest son, who I share a passion of books with. I'm lead upstairs and I close the door and finally feel some peace of being alone. I really wanted to know why Mrs. Kim could be so chirpy when her husband and two sons were off fighting in the war possibly hurt, possibly dead. But I rested my head on the pillow that laid on the made up bed on the floor, there was a distictive smell it wasnt bad, or partically good either, it was just kind of- there. I closed my eyes and I saw the family portrait that sit on the old fireplace of my now bomb out home, in my dream, it was still there, unmarked, unscorn and alive. The rest of the town was in engulfed in flames I dreamt of my now dead neighbours, people I never really interacted with... most of them were like me, family to a military officer... innocent people. I hoped that they might have gotten away, but the refugee camp we spent a few days at had no recognisable faces. My dream remained of the sight of that family portrait my smiling mother, the strict face of my father and goofy expression of my brother and I. Then I saw the portrait of the Kim family, the way they wore the same expressions. Expressions of happiness and laughter.
Morning dawned and I sat up without opening my eyes, I didnt want to see the surroundings of somebody elses room, I wanted to see my old bedroom back in Incheon. 
 
'Mina! It's time for breakfast.' My mother calls from dowstairs, it reminded me of home, am I possibly dreaming? I open my eyes and am faced with the hard reality...
 
 
Random B.A.P Song!
Today 'COMA' enjoy :)