Your Future Spouse

Breath of Life

 

CHAPTER X / Your Future Spouse
 

 

Jinri’s body freezes as she hears Jinki’s words. “Jinki…” she mutters. She steps back as she wraps herself with her arms. She looks down, not knowing what to say next. Jinki looks at her with sincerity and worry. He suddenly laughs and Jinri looks at him.

 

“Jinri, I know,” he says.

 

“…”

 

“You don’t like me,” he says as he shows a grin with his eyeballs barely seen. “I know.”

 

Jinri touches his soft hand and says, “I-I’m sorry.” The cold breeze blows and passes them.

 

The night is coming and streetlights start to show their yellow glow. They are both standing next to one and Jinri looks at it. She then looks at Jinki with a smile and shows her pinky finger to him. “What is this?” he asks.

 

“Let’s pretend that this never happen,” she says. “Pinky promise?”

 

Jinki snickers as he thinks that it is a childish act that he sees students do. They’re both on their almost late-20s and it’s quite unfitting, but he rides with her. He locks his cold pinky finger with her pink ones. “Pinky promise,” he says with a grin.

 

“From the minute onwards,” she says. She closes her eyes and exhales heavily with a smile on her face and with their pinky fingers still locked. She opens her eyes and looks at him with her dazzling eyes. “We will not remember that this happened.”

 

“YEAH!” Jinki shouts and they both laugh. He takes a one last look at her as his heart starts to feel heavy. “I need to go now,” he says, as he knows that any minute now, a tear will fall from his eye. He waves his hand as he shows a forced smile. He turns back and did not wait for her response. He runs away as fast as he can away from Jinri.

 

 Jinri, on the other hand, feels sorry for him. She rejected him and it’s also hard for her part. She didn’t intend to make him feel bad, but she thinks that it’s for his good. She then wraps herself with her arms again as she sighs. She then starts to walk on the opposite direction and heads straight home.

 

 

As she open the door, she sees Minho sitting in front of the dinner table, staring at the dinner. “Oh, you’re here,” he says. Jinri stays quiet as she removes her shoes and walks to her room. She goes out after a minute and joins Minho on the table.

 

They start eating the food and Jinri stays quiet. Minho keeps asking him questions, but Jinri only answers him either with a yes, no, or a one-word answer. While eating, Jinri keeps recalling what happened earlier.

 

“Are you okay, Jinri?” Minho asks as he sees Jinri staring at the food. Jinri shakes her head and says, “Ne.” But then Minho asks him again, “Are you sure?” And she replies, “Yes, Minho, I’m okay.” It is a four-word answer and Minho smiles to himself.

 

After eating, Jinri stands up and grabs their plates and places them on the sink. “I’ll go wash these.” Minho agrees and he cleans the table and afterwards, walks inside his room. Jinri sighs afterwards as she finishes washing the dishes. She dries her hands with the towel and zombie-walks towards the light switch. She turns the lights off and walks to her room afterwards.

 

Before going to bed, she grabs a brown construction paper-covered journal below her bed and she grabs her pen. She sits in front of the study desk and she starts writing on it.

 

October 14, 2013

Dearest J,

 

You’ve been my companion for years and I know you won’t tell anyone what I’ve been writing here. This day has been quite hard… and probably the past few days, too.

 

Jinki, my colleague… he… he confessed to me. He likes me. But, J, I… I don’t feel the same thing for him. And I felt bad. He is kind, thoughtful and cute, yes, but… :( I know that tomorrow will be an unusual day.

 

On the other hand, you know Minho, right? I think you’ve already had enough of him because I always include him in every single entry I have recently. Are you jealous? Kekeke. v^^; Kidding aside, he confessed to me, too, but not because he likes me… but because he likes Yuri, my friend from high school. :’(

 

I know it’s sad, but what can I do? That’s what he feels. Recently, I’ve been trying to avoid him even though we live under the same roof. I just want to avoid that I’d fall for him again. Am I doing the right thing, J? Please do say yes.

 

I just hope that he’d regain his memories back fast, so that I won’t get to see him. >.<

 

That’s all for now, J. I have so many things to do for school. ‘Til next time. :)

 

Always by your side,

Jinri


 

December 20, 2013

Dearest J,

 

I’m sorry for not writing to you for almost two months. I had to do my lectures and the kids’ final exams. I hope you understand me. Opening up to you—I missed it. So that’s why I’m writing to you again. Anyway, it’s nearly Christmas! Merry Christmas! :D

 

Now is the start of the school’s vacation and I’m quite relieved. Other than that, this day is also meaningful to me. This is the exact date last year when I decided to completely move to my new house and live by my own. I remember that I had so many dreams in my mind—from teaching an art-related subject in a nearby high school to putting decorations in my house.

 

And, today, I’m quite proud of myself. Despite the debts I still have, I… I am living independently for a year now. That’s something I should celebrate with you. :)

 

For the past two months, a lot of things happened. Firstly, I think I already told you about my student, Soo-jung. I’m quite happy for her because she finally became friends with my brother. Though they often have fights, but their friendship is still going strong. And I’ve noticed too that my brother got more… friendly. He now talks more often and smiles more often. And I thank Soo-jung for that. :D

 

About Jinki, I admit that it became awkward for the both of us. Yes, he still shares the same lame jokes and I laugh. But an awkward silence comes afterwards. Always. Good thing Victoria is always by our side to keep us together.

 

With Minho, he constantly progresses. Before, he just remembers the Queen song, the haircut memory and the sad yet very vague memory. But now, he has more fragments of his memory. He once told me about his childhood being in a small ordinary house with his parents, enjoying the food their mother cooked. He also remembered a name of a woman. He said it was Sulli, which is funny because the woman’s name is the same as my mom’s. xD His smile wouldn’t wear off all day when he remembered those. But, we’re still clueless on why he lost his memory. I do think we need to exert more effort.

 

He also started to be friends with Yuri. They’ve been going out with me and I never saw Minho that happy. Maybe this is what love is sometimes. When you like someone, seeing him happy, despite him being with someone, can make you happy, too.

 

Even though I try to avoid him, I… admittedly… still like him. I always try to erase the thought, but I can’t. It’s not just because of his smile… but because he’s caring… charming… the kindest… the cutest… :’) Don’t let anyone read this or else, I WON’T WRITE TO YOU ANYMORE! Kekeke.

 

That’s all for now. But don’t fret, I promise to write to you everyday from now on. :) Thank you for being with me always!

 

Your bestest friend,

Jinri <3

 

She then doodles around the page with hearts and swirls to end up her letter. “Jinri,” a voice from outside says. Jinri glances at the door with wide eyes and she swiftly closes her journal. Minho opens the door before Jinri can hide her journal under her bed. Jinri ran to him and pushes him out.

 

“What is the sixth house rule?” she asks as she slams the door shut.

 

Minho smiles in embarrassment as he rubs his nape. “Mianhae.”

 

“Aigoo,” she says.

 

“Breakfast’s ready,” he says.

 

“I’ll be there in a few,” she says. She walks inside her room and she exhales heavily, thinking that he might have seen the journal. He did not see it, he did not see it, she persuades herself.

 

During the breakfast, she receives a text from her brother, Taemin.

 

From: Taemin

Message: Noona, can you come tonight? Umma and appa want to have a family dinner with you since Christmas is nearing and the school vacation started. :)

 

Jinri looks up and thinks of it for a second. I’ll do it for Taemin, she says to herself. She replies with a yes and Taemin replies with a grin.

 

 

Jinri leaves the house and when she takes the taxi, she realizes that she forgot her phone at home. She still proceeds to her family’s house and she arrives with her formal white dress.

 

No one in Gwangju can’t deny that the house is one of the biggest. The house is Greek-inspired and is mixed with modern and minimalist design.

 

As she steps on the black gate, the maids warmly welcome her and direct her to the dining room. Before entering the dining room, Taemin holds her hand and takes her to the side. “Noona, what are you doing here?”

 

“You… you texted me…”

 

“I-I was wrong. This is not a family gathering, noona. Umma and appa…”

 

“Jinri, I’m glad you came!” their umma says. She holds Jinri’s hand tightly and says, “Let’s go inside. The Lee family is waiting for us.” She then glares at her and Jinri can’t do anything but follow her.

 

They enter the dining room and Jinri sees the two families gathered in one long table.

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Lee, let me introduce to you your son’s future bride. My daughter, Choi Jinri,” her umma says. She is still holding Jinri’s hand tightly, trying to control her.

 

“She does look beautiful!” Mrs. Lee says.

 

As Jinri glances at them, her eyes widen in surprise.

 

“Ms. Choi,” Mr. Lee says. “Meet my son… Your future husband… Lee Jinki.”

 

Wearing a black coat and slacks with white button down and black necktie with his black hair brushed up is Jinki sitting next to his father. He looks at Jinri with a blank face and says, “Good evening, Ms. Choi.”

 

~

 

FROM: MAXSTEPP

Hello! Sorry for the late update! :(

So, recently, I had a writer's block and it's quite hard to think of what will happen. I almost gave up continuing this story, but because of you, I had the drive to. Thank you, all! :)

Thank you for the upvotes, subscriptions and comments. :) Please do comment your thoughts. I appreciate them the most! :D

Admittingly, this might only last until Chapter 15 or 20, but who knows what might happen to my brain? Hahaha.

'Til the next update. :)