Happy Birthday :)

Just For You

 

"Aren't you tired to like someone despite knowing he will never like you back?"
 
Yoo Ahra had been warned by herself. Ahra had made collecting every single pictures of him from facebook seemed so normal. This kind of interest is not healthy, she thought about that. But the reality, she enjoyed it so much. She said it was the least thing she could do.
 
It was not just Ahra, who developed a little something for Jongdae. There was another. A lot, actually, but let's just focus on one: Shin Yoonjo.
 
Without any doubt, they knew about each other's interest toward the same person. Up untill now, they are in the middle of a cold war. If Ahra is more of a looking-from-certain-distance type of girl, then Yoonjo is a gotta-get-his-attention type. She would do anything to involve herself to him, unlike Ahra who couldn't speak clearly when it comes to dealing with him.
 
Both of them are different in behaviour, and also in personality. Yoonjo could speak clearly, precisely, and confidently in front of people. She had her opinion and won on every argument. Ahra? She could barely raise her hand to ask questions. She had problems of talking in public. She is easily influenced by another people, so she couldn't debate. She end up become the one who lost the argument.
 
 
 
 
"Jongdae-yah~ teach me this one!" Yoonjo's voice was heard on Ahra's right, where Jongdae sat. She turned to look, out of curiosity. What will she do this time? Yoonjo showed him her Math workbook.
 
"Oh, sure," he said, and took a pencil.
 
Yoonjo got excited and pull a chair next to him. While Jongdae explained, looked down at the workbook, she secretly admire his face. Ahra rolled her eyes. It was obvious that Yoonjo just wanted to be near him, since they were sitting apart for far too long.
 
Consider Ahra lucky, for sitting on his left, but they rarely spoke. It was like they were not meant to be together. Because every group assignment, they never been in the same group. Even though Ahra had prayed.
 
Whenever Jongdae was busy with Yoonjo, Ahra played with her phone and ignoring the world. She checked on her calendar, and she realized that Jongdae's birthday is this Friday.
 
Jongdae's birthday... Jongdae's birthday... Her brain was thinking about what should she do on his birthday. Not that she wanted to create a big event. It was just because she thought at least she must do something to celebrate his birthday. Even though she would not directly give it to him. It would be his first birthday she had ever wanted to celebrate.
 
Ahra's first idea was, to write a story with Jongdae as the main character, because it was her specialty. But for her to even write a one chapter long story, could took a week to get it done. She couldn't finish it within 2 days. She might have to look for another solution.
 
After school, Ahra packed her things and quickly left, like she always did. She hated being in school for so long, because it reminds her of how lonely she is. The view of Yoonjo and Jongdae made her sick, she was about to puke.
 
As she walked, she stop by a ramen shop because she suddenly got hungry. She usually stopped here to eat, if there was nothing to eat. "Ajumma, one ramen, please" she said and the ajumma immidately cook the order. She looked around the shop as she waited. Not much people come to eat, maybe because it's 3 PM now.
 
Suddenly, she heard a familiar voice. "Ajumma, one ramen, please" he said as he opened the door and took a seat.
 
Ahra turned away when the guy's eyes spotted her. She pretended to be busy with her phone, trying hard--maybe too hard--to avoid his gaze.
 
"Ahra?" his voice now seems louder.
 
She looked up and he was already in front of her. "Jongdae,"
 
"Oh, so it was really you" he said then pulled a chair.
 
Silence.
 
Ahra was busy playing with her phone, while Jongdae looked around. She hated this. She would like to talk with him. About anything, but she didn't have the courage to do so.
 
"Are you going to the class trip this Saturday?" he asked. Their class were planning something on Saturday, they said the main goal was to build the solidarity of the class. It was annouced a week ago, yet until now she's still thinking about it.
 
"Huh? Oh.. I don't know.."
 
"Why? Come on, it's for the class.. Why are you still considering it?"
 
"My dad was against it when I told him"
 
"Oh.."
 
"And to be honest, it would not make any difference if I came as well" she said without thinking.
 
Jongdae was about to say something, but he bit his lip. He was trying to keep it inside. He wanted to ask why she was behaving this way. Behaving all weak and alone, when there's someone who wanted to be on her side.
 
Finally, the ramens saved them from the awkward situation. Ahra ate hers quietly, and she looked down on the bowl. Jongdae could sense that she was avoiding his gazes, because he kept staring at her since she said that.
 
The quiet late lunch finally ended. Ahra excused herself to go home first. Her heart was about to burst if she stayed any longer.
 
 
 
 
On the next day, as usual, when Ahra arrived at school, Yoonjo was already by Jongdae's side. She was talking about Harry Potter, the series that he liked the most. Ahra knew that Yoonjo was pretending to know about it. Since the only think she knows best about England is One Direction.
 
Ahra herself knew so little about Harry Potter, but she used to watch it with her cousin because she liked it so much. However, getting-attention is not her style. She'd rather play her phone. There are so many things on the internet than trying so hard to get close with him like a fool.
 
Ahra was checking on her timeline, and saw an annoucement about Girls' Generation Hyoyeon's birthday project, which was also near Jongdae's birthday. The project was about taking picture of cake and a present, the fansite will combine it together and send it to Hyoyeon.
 
And it hit her. It's a good idea to do that kind of project on Jongdae's birthday. She took out a piece of paper from her book, and a pen. She wrote her idea down. She wrote the things she would need.
 
During the class, she felt excited thinking about it. She couldn't wait for the closing assembly.
 
It wasn't only her, who thought about doing something for Jongdae's birthday tomorrow. Yoonjo was also have something in mind.
 
"I'll be going to get the cake" she explained to her friends about her plan. "and you guys will trigger him outside, got it?"
 
Her friends were only nodded, as they didn't have any other choice. They knew she only planned that because she wanted to be remembered by Jongdae. "So it's only us three, then?" one of them asked.
 
Yoonjo's lips curved into a smile. A smile which means there was another thing on her mind. "No, I would like to ask another one..." She glanced at Ahra, who was doodling on her notebook.
 
On lunchtime, Yoonjo called Ahra out for a second. She sensed something was going on. Yoonjo explained her plan for Jongdae's surprise. "Are you in?"
 
Ahra really didn't think that such a commotion is necessary. She just wanted to celebrate his birthday on her own.
 
"I know he hates surprises, but I'd like to show him how fun a surprise could make him feel" she said, convincing her.
 
"No, you guys do it. I think I won't be much of a help, so.." Ahra shrugged, then turned around and walked to the cafetaria to have lunch.
 
"Shin Yoonjo, she refused. What now?" one of her friends asked.
 
Yoonjo smiled, as she watched Ahra walked away. "It's alright. If she refused, then that means she had given up on him. Which is good," she said, but her two friends couldn't hear it. "I mean, that's okay. It's okay with only us three" she said in a louder volume.
 
Meanwhile, on the cafetaria, Ahra sat down and eat. Even though she was alone, she still felt incredibly excited thinking about her shopping for today. She was excited thinking about what present should she buy.
 
On the other side, Jongdae was eating on the table with his fellow classmates. He watched Ahra, as she ate lunch by herself while playing her phone. Little did he understand why she loves playing with her phone so much.
 
"Jongdae-yah, we've been asking you. Aren't you coming?" asked his friend, Byun Baekhyun.
 
"Oh.. What? Where?"
 
"You weren't listening?" asked another friend, Park Chanyeol.
 
"Yeah, sure"
 
"Hey!" Baekhyun nudged him. "You weren't listening after all"
 
Chanyeol followed where Jongdae's gaze went. "Why are you looking at that weirdo, anyway?"
 
"Weirdo? What weirdo? She's not a weirdo!" Jongdae raised his voice.
 
"Woow, man, chill. She? I was referring to that weirdo Lee Yuil"
 
"Huh?" Jongdae noticed that Lee Yuil was also sitting not far from Ahra. "Oh.."
 
"Wait a sec, you thought Chanyeol was referring to Ahra? Yoo Ahra?" Baekhyun asked, as he sensed something weird going on when Jongdae said She.
 
"Err.. No, I.."
 
"You.. Do you like her? How? And why?" Baekhyun attacked him with questions.
 
"No, I'm just..."
 
"Pity? Interested? Amazed?" Chanyeol also in.
 
"I don't know, okay? Stop asking me!"
 
Baekhyun and Chanyeol both shut their mouths. They were scared if Jongdae might be angry. Jongdae is a very patient person. Once he's angry, he'd be so scary.
 
"I just.. I felt like I want to protect her. She looked very fragile to me"
 
"Fragile? She's been alone all the timec why would she be fragile? Isn't she supposed to be strong?" Baekhyun gave  his opinion.
 
Jongdae glared at him.
 
"I mean... Yeah, she is fragile" he corrected his sentence, terrified of his glare.
 
"Other than her, what about Yoonjo? She seems to be into you" said Chanyeol, and sip his milk.
 
"Yoonjo? Oh, I can see." Jongdae rolled his eyes and spotted Yoonjo on the other side of the room.
 
"She actually asked me if you like surprises. I said no, and she believed it" said Baekhyun then he laughed.
 
"I actually don't. I hate it more if I already knew the surprise."
 
"That's exactly the plan, dude. To make you irritated by her!" Chanyeol excitedly announced. "I don't like that chick"
 
Baekhyun high-fived him, and nodded because he agree as well. "She's annoying. She likes to steal you away from us"
 
"How do you feel from getting Shin Yoonjo's whole attention?" Chanyeol asked, pointed the spoon toward him like he was doing an interview.
 
Jongdae chukcled. "Well, it wasn't that bad. But these days I do feel irritated"
 
"And tomorrow she will make you feel more! Hahaha!" Chanyeol signature laugh cracked up, and he randomly clapped. He is weird. Jongdae enjoyed being among dorky people as Chanyeol who like he was on crack on a daily basis, and Baekhyun who constantly divert normal conversation into something not-normal. Jongdae thought that these people are unique and fun in their own way.
 
Just like Ahra, who always smile on every little thing she sees. And it made him smile, too.
 
 
 
 
After the closing assembly, Ahra immidiately went to the local bakery nearby. Her parents gave her monthly allowance through ATM, and she rarely spend it unless the situation was an emergency. Right now, is totally an emergency.
 
Ahra examined through the display window. There were so many type of cakes. She didn't know which one Jongdae would like, so instead, she picked her favorite.
 
"Can I have this one, please?" she pointed at the Strawberry Cheesecake.
 
The salesclerk nodded and took one of the slice of Strawberry Cheescake. "Anything else?"
 
"No, that's all," Ahra nervously waited for the salesclerk to ring it up. She was anxious, she hoped that her plan went smoothly. She still haven't thought about the present. "Oh, wait. And one iced capuccino, uno size"
 
"Thank you," she said as she recieved the box of cake and one cup of iced capuccino after she payed for them. She walked out from the bakery with a plastic bag and drank her capuccino. She loved the smell, and also the bitterness of capuccino.
 
Then, she passed by a flower shop. The sweet appearance of the shop gave her a good vibe, so she went in. She had made up her mind to buy a flower as present.
 
"Hello, what kind flower are you looking for?" asked the friendly florist, as she was tidying up some flowers.
 
"Yes.. I.. Um, I'm looking for a flower that could be a message"
 
The florist was confused at first, but she immidiately understand. "Oh, what kind of message?"
 
"Well, I.. like this guy, and tomorrow is his birthday. I want to say how much I like him"
 
"Hm.. it could be anything. It can be yellow chrysanthemum, means secret admirer; sunflower means adoration; red tulip means declaration of love; or yellow tulip hopelessly in love. your choice"
 
"Isn't the florist supposed to pick for the customer?"
 
The florist smiled. "The customer knows best, I am sure"
 
Ahra examined the flowers that the florist had suggested. "Yellow Chrysanthemum, a small bouquet of it"
 
"Sure, wait a moment," the florist pick a few yellow chrysanthemum, and started to arrange it. "You're wearing a uniform, which school are you from?"
 
"Huh? Me? I'm from Chodae High School,"
 
"Oh, really? My brother goes there, too"
 
"Ah, is that so?"
 
"Yes, but he rarely visit me. Here's your flower" she gave Ahra the beautifully arranged bouquet.
 
"Thank you," she payed and left the flower shop. She walked home afterwards.
 
The florist watched her as she walked away. "What a sweet girl," she mumbled.
 
"Who?" a guy popped from the back door, which led to small room where the florist used to spend the night.
 
"Oh, Jongdae-yah, when did you came in?" she turned around, surprised.
 
"Not long ago. Whom did you talking to?"
 
"A girl from your school. She was looking for a flower for her loved ones, isn't that sweet? She said his birthday was tomorrow, and she also had a cake on her hand, too. Oh, that reminds me. Your birthday is also tomorrow, right?"
 
"My school? What's her name?"
 
"I didn't ask, but she's quite pretty"
 
"Long hair?"
 
"Yes"
 
"Light brown or dark brown?"
 
"Hmm.. Dark brown"
 
"Straight or a bit wavy?"
 
"Straight, wonderful straight hair"
 
"Did she knew this is my sister's flower shop?"
 
"She didn't seem to know, she only said 'Oh, is that so?' and really quiet"
 
Jongdae's eyes widened. From her sister's description that girl seems to be Yoo Ahra. He knew it was her. He then ran outside, but Ahra could no longer be seen. So he quickly took out his cellphone and call Baekhyun. "Baekhyun-ah, you knew Ahra since middle school, right? Do you know where her house is?" he asked as soon as Baekhyun's voice was heard.
 
"Hm.. No, I've never gone there. Why?"
 
"Can't you ask someone? I'm in a hurry, and this is an emergency"
 
"Tell me why, and I'd consider it"
 
"Aish. Ahra went to my sister's flower shop and bought a flower"
 
"Ahra did? Did she buy anything? For whom?"
 
"I'm in a hurry!"
 
"Fine, Fine. I'll ask someone. But what are you trying to do?"
 
"I'm trying to confess here!"
 
"All of a sudden?? Kim Jongdae are you nuts?"
 
"I am. I'm about to die here! It's now or never, Byun Baekhyun!"
 
"Alright. Wait a moment,"
 
"Hurry, okay?"
 
Baekhyun hang up. Jongdae anxiously waited for his call. He went back inside. "Taeyeon noona, give me what she bought"
 
"She? You mean that girl earlier? You know her?"
 
"I think I knew. Just give me the flowers!" he said, sounded like he was frustrated.
 
"Okay, okay," his sister arranged the same bouquet as Ahra bought earlier. "But it's getting late soon, are you sure?"
 
"I'm sure"
 
After Taeyeon had finished, Jongdae immidiately grabbed it and walked outside. He recieved a message from his phone from Baekhyun which was about the address.
 
Jongdae rushed off, with the bouquet of yellow chrysanthemum on his hand, and cellphone on the other hand, he ran. Until the sun had set, he was still looking for the address. Ahra's house was not easy to find, since her family was not really close to other neighbor, it took time to look for her house.
 
Jongdae had finally reached a point where he was about to give up. He sat on swing at a nearby playground. He sip on a can of beverage he just bought from the vending machine since he was so tired and thirsty. He looked at his wristwatch, it was almost 8 PM.
 
Jongdae sat there for another hour. Her sister was worried because he hadn't came back for hours now, she kept calling him but he won't answer. He was about to send a message but his cellphone suddenly died. Now he couldn't text his sister, or find the address. He was so unlucky.
 
"I am going~ to Ahra eonni~" a cute angelic voice was heard, as he was suffocating.
 
It was a little girl, walking alone at night. Without thinking that he might scare the little girl, he approached her. "Little kid," he called out.
 
"Who are you?" she innocently asked, didn't seem to be scared at all.
 
"Did you just say Ahra? Yoo Ahra?"
 
"Oh, yes, nice oppa, I did."
 
"I'm her classmate, can you take me there?"
 
"Eonni rarely got visitors... but okay!" she said. "Follow me"
 
Jongdae felt relieved. All his anxiety had gone already. He followed the kid to an alley. It only took 3 minutes to get there. She knocked the door. "Eonni~ It's me!"
 
At her house, Ahra was all alone. After taking a nice, warm shower she placed the bouquet near the cake so she wont forget. Nobody were home at the moment, so she was free to do anything. Her plan was to celebrate Jongdae's birthday at midnight.
 
Suddenly, a little girl's voice was heard from outside. "Wait up, Minha-yah!" She walked outside, and opened the gate for the little kid who likes to cling on her so much.
 
"Eonni, I brought freshly made kimchi from mom" Minha gave a plastic of kimchi.
 
"Thank you so much. But.. You don't have to come all the way here, Minha-yah"
 
"That's okay. Minha is brave. Oh, I met an oppa. He was looking for you"
 
"What oppa?"
 
Jongdae appeared. Ahra was shocked, surprised, and happy at the same time. How did he know where I live? Why is he here? Was he looking for me?
 
"Eonni, can I stay here for a while before going home?" asked Minha.
 
"Oh? Sure, come in" she said, and Minha ran in to the house.
 
"You're surprised, right?" Jongdae started a conversation, with the bouquet on his back.
 
Ahra still couldn't speak a thing.
 
"I knew your address from Baekhyun. And he found out from someone else. Don't be mad, I was the one who asked him to"
 
Still not a word from Ahra.
 
"The flower shop where you bought the bouquet from.. it was my sister's flower shop. I got there after you left. And, my sister said that you bought a flower for your loved ones" he looked down. He felt his cheek getting warm, but couldn't be seen under the dim streetlight.
 
"Go home," she said, finally.
 
"Huh?"
 
"It's almost late. 3 hours before midnight. Go home, your family must've worried" She said again, avoiding his gaze.
 
"Can we talk somewhere else?"
 
"Here. Talk right here, or leave" she said, sounded angry. Her tone was not like usual. He was worried that she might be mad.
 
"Alright, I.. For whom did you buy the flowers?"
 
"Someone"
 
"My sister said you were going to give it to the person you like, and tomorrow is his birthday"
 
"So?"
 
Jongdae took out the bouquet of flowers from his back. It was already worn out, not as good as his sister had arranged, but still nice. The flower was yellow chrysanthemum, just like the one she bought. She didn't took it, though. He had to pull it back.
 
Ahra was about to tear up, but she hold it back. He came all this way, just to give her what she was going to give him?
 
"The flower's meaning has nothing to do with this. I just asked for what you bought, actually"
 
"Then what do you mean?"
 
"I want to be your guardian who protects you. I won't let you be alone. I will always be on your side, Ahra-yah"
 
"Can you... Wait?" her voice was shaking.
 
"For how long?"
 
"Until midnight. Can you? If not, then.."
 
"No, I can wait. I'll wait for you at the playground"
 
Ahra nodded and went back inside. As she closed the gate, she could feel her insides burn. Butterflies were flying in her stomach. She couldn't restrain her tears any longer. Slowly, it rolled down her cheeks and to the ground. 2 and a half hours to midnight.
 
 
 
 
Earlier, on the same day, Baekhyun was eating cup ramen at the 24/7 convenient store. He was trying to reach his foreigner friend which was also friend of Ahra, Lee Karen. Jongdae had asked for a favor, and he had a little trouble.
 
"Hey, Byun Baekhyun"
 
"Oh, Shin Yoonjo. Hi" he said, still trying to call Karen.
 
"You're so cold, unlike your friendly ferret loving friend"
 
"Chanyeol? Oh, he had business with his ferret"
 
"Seriously?"
 
"No, he was just busy"
 
"Why do you look so busy?"
 
"Jongdae asked me a favor, and I'm trying to reach Karen"
 
"Karen? She's a friend of mine. What does he have to do with her?"
 
"He was asking for my help, and I'm asking hers. Stop asking!"
 
"I'll help, but you have to help me in return"
 
Baekhyun stopped calling, and turned to her. He just remembered that Shin Yoonjo was also a friend of Ahra. "Can you?"
 
"Sure"
 
"But I can't promise you anything"
 
"Fine, fine, I just said that I might need your help in the future"
 
"Ahra's address"
 
"Why her?"
 
"Just give me"
 
Yoonjo browsed her contact list and sent Yoo Ahra's business card to Baekhyun.
 
"Done. Now what?"
 
Baekhyun immidiately sent it to Jongdae, and his mission was successful.
 
"What is this about?"
 
"I told you I couldn't promise anything. Because I know more or less, when you need help, it must have something to do with Jongdae" he toona deep breath. "Sorry to disappoint you, but jongdae will confess to Ahra today. He's on his way right now"
 
"What...?"
 
"Geez, it's either you're stubborn or dumb"
 
"You mean.. I helped Jongdae?"
 
"Bingo"
 
"I don't know the details, yet. Would you like to know when I know?"
 
"No.." Yoonjo pulled her bag with her, she was in shock. She didn't think that Ahra would get his attention, after the effort she had been through, still didn't deserve to win.
 
Baekhyun had to run to her because he felt guilty for whatever she felt right now. "Wait,"
 
"What?" Yoonjo turned around and her eyes was about to burst out of tears.
 
"I'm sorry. But, I think it's about time you stopped trying. I mean, 
 
 
 
Jongdae waited, and waited, and waited. He couldn't play with his phone since it was dead. He played with the swings and see-saw instead, with the motivation of I'm doing this for Ahra.
 
Meanwhile, Ahra herself was anxiously walking back and forth. Minha was already asleep, and she was waiting for her sister to pick her up. She looked at the clock, it's almost midnight. She doubted if Jongdae would wait this long.
 
Suddenly, a knock was heard. She peeked and saw Minha's sister came to get her. "Eonni,"
 
"Minha's asleep?"
 
Ahra nodded.
 
Her sister went in and pick Minha up. "Sorry for bothering you, I'd be going now"
 
"That's okay, she's like a friend to me" she said, watched Minha's sister put Minha in the car.
 
"You should get out more, go get a boyfriend. You can't hang out with Minha forever,"
 
Ahra didn't answer. She actually took her advice seriously.
 
"Thank you for being a good friend for Minha today, see you!" said Minha's sister and waved at Ahra.
 
She only waved back, and immidiately went back inside. She put on her coat, and took the bouquet and cake along with the candle, and lighter. 11.58 PM. She need to hurry.
 
Jongdae was still patiently waiting. He was nervous whether Ahra would come out or not. This was so sudden, and crazy, and he was well aware of it. But he didn't care. All he care now is how Ahra would answer. 11.58 PM, she hadn't show up.
 
11.59 PM, Ahra ran carefully so she wouldn't ruin the bouquet and cake. Before getting near the playground, she put down the bouquet. Then she lighted the candle and carefully walked to where Jongdae was.
 
0.00 PM. Jongdae stood up fro the swings. He had given up. Ahra won't show up after all. He was about to walk home when a familiar figure was standing not too far from him, a small cake with a single candle on top of it. "Ahra-yah.."
 
"Jongdae-yah.." She smiled. "Happy Birthday"
 
Jongdae walked forward, and she did too. They finally an inch closer, and Jongdae blow the candle. "Thank you,"
 
"Did you ask me to wait until midnight because tomorrow is my birthday?"
 
"I was thinking for 2 and a half hours. If I didn't show up I would do according to my original plan. To celebrate your birthday on my own"
 
"You.. Were really thought of that? Why?"
 
"Because all this time I could only watch you from a distant. Unlike Shin Yoonjo"
 
"Hey! You are Yoo Ahra, not Shin Yoonjo. Stop comparing yourself with her"
 
"I just.."
 
"The important thing is that, we both have each other now"
 
They stood there in silence, but a comfortable one. They stare at each other before finally Jongdae leaned in, closer, and closer.
 
Ahra suddenly put the cake's frosting on his nose before he could get any closer. "What were you trying to do?"
 
"This!" Jongdae also gave a sudden frosting attack.
 
"Hey!"
 
 
 
 
This was just the beginning of a very sweet story. What about Shin Yoonjo?
She watched it all. From the moment Baekhyun told her about Jongdae's confession to Ahra, she followed where Jongdae would be. She realized that during the 11th grade, she had never talked to her like the way they used to. She never knew how much Ahra loved him, and that she's willing to do anything just for him.
 
 

 

____
END
____

 

Terrible, huh? -_-

Well, 8 March 2013 is also EXO's 11 Monthsary (beside the certain someone's birthday) so congrats boys!! ^^ Comeback soon~