Strings

Strings

 

S T R I N G S 

 

It was just one of those times when I actually wondered whether the fates decided to conspire against me because it literally felt like the sky was falling down in gradational every time I looked up. The fickleness of fate sealed every soul close and tight. Not that those creatures obliged their sickening circumstances, they rather accepted them just for the sake of living a life- even if it meant suffering.

Oftentimes, I found it horrid how most of the living souls tried to throw pleas in satisfying the world. It wasn’t like the world could see the tiny bits of sweat from the hardiness. No one cared about the lenghty steps of endurance or the courage hidden between coward eyes. All that mattered in their eyes was the consequences. If one failed, glints of mockery would be seen in distant. It was indeed distateful, yet who cared?

That was how fate attacked; hard and sudden.

As long as I remembered, it was somewhere in April when the fated encounter occured by happenstance. Devious and sly vibes glowed from every corner of his well-being, sipping chills beneath my ecru skin. I knew there was something off- the way he held his gaze, hard and sudden- just like the attack of fate. Eyes of dark black eagles, I thought. The quite contemplation took longer than I expected as my heart went haphazard at his sonorous voice, offering his heart to be kept in my soul.

Strings that were lingering around the puppet were pulled slightly. The puppet’s eyes begged for help but her lips wrapped around the puppeteer every word. A smirk was curved up on his dazzling lips as he introduced himself- the ventriloquist.


Smokes and dust filled the air of one June evening, wind gusting in harsh rushes against the windowpane. I admired the beautiful disaster silently, tracing the fixed glass in the window frame whilst letting my thoughts engulfed in a word called pain. The sky let out an angry growl with contempt for my helpless soul, thundering loudly to the heartbeat of mine. That was when the sky started to fall down gradationally, signalling the arrival of fate on my doorstep.

The wooden door flew open and I didn’t have to turn around to know who alighted. The scheming feeling got the best of me, overwhelming me in every way possible. I lost the heat around me as the chills ran down my spine. His arms slipped around my waist from behind, tender lips left a sweet kiss on my neck. The light contact grate my heart into shards of glass that run through my veins.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” I touched the casement, dismissing the shattering sound deep in my sore heart.

He pulled me closer, as if to get a better hearing of my disquiet heartbeat. And he smirked, realising the aftermath of his lips on my cold skin. He nuzzled his face in the crook of my neck, breathing life deeply into my flesh.

“Just like you.”

A beautiful disaster. Just like me.


I thought of bringing my hopes down in a way that wouldn’t hurt myself as much as it was long ago. I was capatalized by my own fate- the dark black eagle eyes that never failed to serenade my anxiety off with his husky soothing promises. I’d knew it all along that those longing souls in need of companions would always be crestfallen by the vicious truth of life; expectation is the root of all heartache.

The puppet kept the butterfly hopes, pinned by the wings onto the inside of her ribcage. She shot several attempts to break away from the knotted strings but every time she moved aside, her breath hitched inside - splitting the wings in a  futile endeavor.

Rain washed away the never-ending filth of the city in one tranquil night of August, falling pitter-patter on the window- rhytimically matching my light foot taps on the cold floor. The silence between us felt unusual that I thought words just ushered themselves out of the room. He was fiddling with my fingers- something he did when he was far, too far lost in thoughts. And I could see those dark black eagle eyes of his faded, drowning into apparent greyness.

“Do you believe in fate?” I questioned, more likely to myself. He stopped his act then looked up, his eyes darkening back to their old colour. “Meeting you was my fate.”

Loving me wasn’t?


It was unbelieveable how human’s heart could handle countless times of rejection. Hope had been built up high and faith had been held deep yet the fate, the ruthless fate that every soul was being sealed by, seized the precious dream right away. Even the tiny bits of sweat from the hardiness was wasted away just like that, disappeared into the thin air. And I wondered if my heart was fit enough to continue living this fatiguing life.

Sunday night, the eleventh of November- I looked up skywards, and the ocean of dark blue was getting close, too close. The beautiful andromeda was losing its charm and somehow I felt discarded. The room was dim with only the table lamp lit up from a corner. The sound of heartbeats and light breathing conqured the surrounding, slow and lethargic.

My shadow advancing ahead of me as I stared at his figure that was stepping away, away from me. I strode quickly, stopping him right infront of the wooden door. That familiar devious vibe was glowing even more bright now, shooting false arrows straight into my soul. “What am I to you?” I finally voiced the big question mark that I kept hidden in my thoughts all this while. He turned around, facing me as his eyes eclipsed the darkness.

“A puppet.”

She cringed as the strings that were tied around her wooden limbs fell one by one, falling with no end in sight and when she hit the ground it’s like her whole life was coming to an end. 

 

 

___________________________________

A/N : I'm just depressed. That's all.