Confusing

Bitter Smiles

“Congratulations Mrs Choi, you are 5 weeks pregnant.”

Kris watched as the couple in front of him smiled and squeezed each other’s hands.

“Minho-ah, do you hear that? You’re going to be a father…” The wife whispered with a shaky voice.

“I know!” The husband replied as he bent down and kissed his wife’s cheek. “I’m so proud of you Yuri, you’re going to be a wonderful mother.”

After planning the procedures of the pregnancy and organising the scanning dates, Kris walked the young couple to the door. “Oh and please remember to eat as much vitamin and mineral food as possible, it’ll benefit both the mother and child.”

The wife nodded with a big smile, “Deh, thank you Doctor Wu.” She held onto her husband’s hand and they walked off.

Kris turned to Secretary Hong’s table, “Who is my next patient?”

Secretary Hong clicked on the laptop a few times. “Your next patient is Choi Soo Jin, but she won’t be coming until another hour and a half.”

“Oh,” Kris nodded and walked back into his office. He sat down on his chair and sighed, there’s nothing to do. He pulled out his phone and tried to call Tao but that wushu panda’s phone was off.  He also tried to ring Gina but her phone was off as well.  Those two better not be doing something fishy. He checked his watch and decided to go out to have a quick lunch.

“I’m going out for lunch,” he told Secretary Hong as he walked pass. When he got into his car, he started thinking about where to go to eat.

“I like sushi, noodles, eggs… OMG CAN WE HAVE DUKBOKKI?!”

“We should be out eating a Korean barbeque!”

Kris blinked, why was he thinking about what Hye Mi had said?

“Hmmm… barbeque or pizza….”

He blinked again. What am I doing? He suddenly had the urge to go see her. He had no idea why, but he just wanted to see her twinkling eyes and hear her tinkling laughter at that moment.

Maybe you should drive to the café and see if she’s there. Apart of him said.

Nonono! It’ll be awkward and you won’t know what to say to her! The other part of him responded.

Kris furrowed his eyebrows and shook away his thoughts. What in the world was happening to him?

Let’s just have a cup of coffee. He decided and drove off.

--------

“Hello, welcome to Little Paradise- Oh! Doctor Wu!” Mrs Shin smiled at Kris, “Please sit! I’ll be over with your order in a minute!”

Kris nodded as his eyes roamed around the little café, he was searching for someone. Seeing no sign of her, he disappointedly went to a table by the window and sat down.

“What would you like today?” Mrs Shin asked as she came over with the menu but instead of replying, she found Kris busy looking around, as if he was searching for something. “Ummm, Doctor Wu…?”

Kris snapped out of his daze and looked up at her, “I’m sorry, what?”

An idea went through Mrs Shin’s head and her eyes twinkled mischievously, “Are you… looking for someone?”

“N-No.” Kris coughed awkwardly. “I’d like a latte please.” Wu Yi Fan you are making a fool out of yourself!

Mrs Shin stifled her laughter and nodded, “Okay, but sorry in advance cause it might take longer than usual since Hye Mi is at the library nearby.”

Kris stiffened. Library?

Seeing his expression, Mrs Shin knew her judgment was correct. “Strange though, she left quite a while ago, I wonder if anything happened…” She fibbed and had the urge to snicker at Kris’ response. Hye Mi’s got an admirer.

“Actually Mrs Shin…  I just remembered I needed to go drop something off at the post office...” Kris blurted and stood up.

“Are you sure you don’t want the coffee?” Mrs Shin asked, amused.

“I might come back later if I have time. Sorry for the bother.”

She watched as Kris hurriedly ran out of the café.  A warm smile came onto her lips as she shook her head and went to serve other customers.

Kris hopped back into his car and sighed. Something was wrong with him today and he knew it. I really need to get my head checked. He thought to himself and drove off to the library nearby.

About 5 minutes later, Kris parked into the library’s parking lot. Mumbling some jibber jabber to himself, he walked into the library and looked around. Almost immediately, his eyes spotted the figure he was yearning for so much. She was sitting in the middle table alone with all these other people around her, yet she still shone out from the rest.

----

Hye Mi was quietly reading in the library. Recently a lot of things had been going around her mind, giving her more headaches so she had decided to go to the library and just read to calm her mind down. As her eyes were scanning the words, she felt something warm drip out from her nose and sat up straight in surprise. Her nose was bleeding, again. Oh my god I have no tissue, how embarrassing!

As if God heard her prayers, a hand reached out from behind with a packet of tissues. Hye Mi immediately grabbed it and turned around, “Thank you so much- Oh Kris!” She gasped when she realised it was her doctor.

Kris awkwardly scratched his head, “Uh… Hi…”

Hye Mi hastily pulled out a tissue and wiped away her blood. “I think I need to go to the bathroom, I’ll be right back!” She said and ran off.

Kris watched as she walked off and sighed in relief. He was glad he didn’t have to explain to her why he was at the library at this time of the day. Quietly, he walked over to bookshelves, pulled out a random book and sat down at Hye Mi’s table. He opened up the primary school book and skimmed through the book, taking a peek at the restroom every 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, Hye Mi was in the bathroom trying to stop her blood nose. When the blood stopped flowing, she sighed in relief and quickly washed before heading out. “Fancy seeing you here at this time of the day,” she grinned as she sat down on her chair across from Kris.

Kris looked up from his book and looked away awkward. “Uh yeah… It was my break… So I decided to just pop in and read a little to clear my mind…” He lied smoothly.

“Ooh,” Hye Mi giggled, “Well that makes two of us.”  

Kris exhaled in relief, glad she bought his lies. Hye Mi continued reading and he pretended too. Yet, every now and then, he couldn’t help but lower his book so he could see her face. The way she was reading made his heart flip like an egg on a pan, her pursed lips and slightly creased forehead was almost too cute to be true. Kris stared at the pumped lips and suddenly had a strange desire, a selfish and tempting desire.

When he realised what he was thinking, his eyes widened and he shook away his thoughts. Never once had he felt this stupid, he was acting like a crazy stalker, which is not what any doctor should act like.

Oh my god I really am going crazy...