Kim Ahn Cess

The Real Deal

Kim Cess           


We stopped in front of the tall building. I took a deep breath and turned to my friend.

            “Hun, this is it.” I whispered, trying to hold back tears. Lezia also bit her lip and threw her arms around my neck.

            “I know that you’re going to get in,” she cried. “I just know it.”

            After we separated and she began to head back home, I turned to face the office once again. Reaching for the handle, I straightened my back and opened the door to my fate.

            “Number 1225, Kim..Ahn Cess?”

            Shhh. I shot out of my chair. You can do this. You’re Kim Cess. Twenty-two and beautiful.

            “Ne!” I smiled widely at the announcer. “Annyounghaseyo!”

            He gave me a half grin and led me inside the room. I trailed behind, trying not to trip over my heels.

            The room only contained three people, each sitting at a cloth-covered table. They looked quite serious as they sipped whatever what was in their white professional mugs. The minute I stumbled into their presence, they began to talk quietly among themselves. Do I have like leftover spinach in my teeth or something?

            “Annyeonghaseyo!” I gave them a 170 degree bow. “My name is Kim Ahn Cess-imida! Please watch over me!” I bowed a couple more times.

            “Annyeonghaseyo!” The man on the left gave me a warm smile. “Please tell us about yourself.”

            “I am twenty-two years old, born on Christmas Day,” I added, hoping to intrigue the judges. “Although I am not known for my singing nor my dancing, I hope SM can find potential in me.”

            “So, are you foreign?” The woman on the right asked, interrupting my introduction.

            “Kind of,” I smiled sweetly. “My father is American and my mother is Korean. I moved from America to Korea when I was ten years old.”

            “You are very pretty.” The woman randomly commented again, this time flashing a smile at me.

            “Ah, gamsihabnida!” I blushed and laughed.

            “I have a question.” the silent man in the middle finally spoke.

            “Ne?” My eyes widened as the man began to speak.

            “If you can’t sing nor dance, then what is your talent?” he asked, stiffly.

            I must stay optimistic. Don’t be afraid of what he thinks. I smiled again and replied, “Ahjussi, I have strived to improve my singing and dancing skills, but they aren’t as worthy and precious as other talented persons’. Would you like to hear a song and see a dance so you may comment?”

            The man nodded.

            I nodded back. “Ne, then I will sing Banmal Song by CN Blue’s Yonghwa.” I looked around the room. “Um, excuse me? Is there a guitar available?”

            The man sighed and sat back in his chair. The man on the left immediately got up and went into the waiting room. A few moments later, he retrieved a guitar and came back into the room. This time, following him was a young girl who sort of resembled Sooyoung from SNSD. She sat in the corner and rested her chin on her hand.

            I took the corner from the man and sat down. I drew a breath and began to sing and play.

            G D Em D…Maen cho eum neo reul bu deon nal…” I put all my feeling into the words. I sang my heart out, even though it was pounding as if it was going to jump out of my chest.

            When I finally finished, the room scattered with claps. The scary man in the middle spoke again. “Not bad, Ahn Cess. You have a clean voice, even if it is not as powerful. You have potential in singing, I see.”

            I jumped to my feet, completely relieved that I was able to impress him. “Gamsihabnida! May I ask how much time do I have?”

            “Kim Ahn Cess…” The woman checked the timer. “You have two minutes left. Use your time wisely, sweetie!”

            “Ne!” I straightened up. “I will dance the a bit of Hoot by SNSD, then.”

            As I started awkwardly dancing without any music, I realized that the girl was whispering into the man in the middle’s ear. He nodded and smiled a couple of times while I was dancing and whispered back. Oddly, they seemed close. Was she his daughter?

            I finally finished, breathless. Applause erupted again, this time more energetic than after I sang.

            “Ahn Cess ah,” the woman tilted her head and flushed with pride. “You are a very pure person, aren’t you? You sing and dance so cleanly! Your personality and your appearance are even better, a role model and fashion model.”  

            I blushed furiously. “Wah~ Gamsihabnida!”

            “Kim Ahn Cess…” the man on the left flipped through my application. “You left out so much in your introduction when you came in! Guitar, piano, composer, painter, ballet…Muai Thai! Aigoo! You are way too humble!” he laughed, his eyes twinkling.

            I was overcome with embarrassment. Feeling my cheeks turn bright pink, I grinned and lifted the guitar. “I think my time is up! I apologize for staying so long!” I bowed a couple more times.

            “Thank you, I will take that,” the girl hopped up and skipped over to me. When she took the guitar from me, she leaned over and whispered in an excited and bubbly voice, “See you at SM tomorrow, unnie.” She kissed my cheek and skipped out the door.