No Other One

No Other One

Author's Note: So.............I shamelessly said about going on hiatus and then bam, this word vomit happens ;n; I feel extremely happy with all of the comments...thank you so much for reading and commenting. Can I just hug you all and never let go? T_T I hope you're going to like this one. Please enjoy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t need to ever exchange (you know I)

I don’t need to ever replace (you know I)

I’m not going any damn place (you know I)

You should know that I know no other one, all I need is you

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kris’ phone rang loudly in the empty room.

Chanyeol looked up from his shoes as Kris quickly fished the ringing device out of his pocket. The older male broke into a fond—more like stupid, Chanyeol thought—grin at the name flashing on the screen before walking to the end of the room to pick the call. Kris was discreet when it came to private phone calls—especially on the ones that were set with the specific ringtone. He dropped his gaze back to his shoes and continued tying the laces.

They were the only ones left in the dressing room.

Chanyeol was working as a model in one of the famous agencies in town. It wasn’t even his dream to become one, but when a talent scout came to him and told him that they needed someone with his height, he vaguely agreed. It was awkward at first because he couldn’t walk straight on the catwalk—Jaejoong had to punish him by forcing Chanyeol to do extra practice with a thick book upon his head. After a few shows, he became somewhat used to the activity and besides, he earned more money in modeling than those pathetic part time jobs. Jaejoong didn’t look entirely satisfied, but everytime they held up a fashion show, Chanyeol would always be in his list—and it was enough for the agency to make Chanyeol as one of their permanent models.

Kris failed to be discreet when Chanyeol heard him muttering something along the lines of ‘love you’ and ‘see you soon’. The latter shook his head slightly in amusement. He definitely had something to share with Jongin tomorrow.

“What?”

Chanyeol didn’t bother to hide his grin as he looked up. “What? Oh. New ringtone?”

Kris rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Are you free after this?”

“Nope. My bed’s waiting for me,” Chanyeol replied and dusted his jeans as he stood up.

Kris snarkily laughed and waved a hand dismissively. “How long have we known each other?”

“Uh...four months...?”

“Four... It’s been that long, huh?”

“Yeah.”

“...and how many friends have you made in four months? Except me, of course. If we can be counted as friends.”

Chanyeol only blinked. “Uh...”

His lame response got Kris to sigh and Chanyeol frowned at him.

“What?”

“I think it’s time for you to socialize,” Kris showed him a simple smile and almost snorted at Chanyeol’s horrified face. “Don’t worry, Jongin’s going to be there too.”

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

“Yifan!”

The door swung open and Chanyeol automatically held his breath at the sight of the beautiful male. Beside him, Kris broke into the same stupid fond smile he had when he answered the phone earlier. Chanyeol nodded absently to himself—this must be the person who had been calling Kris and sent him into the seventh heaven.

“Hey,” Kris greeted a bit too cheerfully as he leaned forward to press his lips against the shorter male’s.

It awed Chanyeol that Kris could even smile—the male was popular for his cold expression. The agency loved his poker face too much to let him go because Kris made a whole lot of money for the company. Most of the designers wanted Kris to wear their clothes—because everything that the tall male wore would be sold out within minutes.

Chanyeol felt himself smiling.

The beautiful male shyly broke the kiss and nudged Kris. “You bring a friend.”

“Oh, I totally forgot,” Kris snickered and jerked his head to Chanyeol’s direction. “This is Chanyeol.”

“Nice to meet you, Chanyeol. I’m Junmyeon,” Junmyeon’s eyes turned into beautiful crescents as he smiled and gestured him to enter the room. “Come on in, everyone else is inside.”

Chanyeol nodded and slowly stepped into the apartment. He blinked around in hesitation—there were at least a ten to fifteen people inside. Some of them were out in the balcony, blowing out their cigarettes. A few in the living room were watching the television and some others were engaged in a conversation with their friends. Chanyeol mentally kicked himself. So this was what he meant by ‘socializing’. Kris had a lot of friends, how was he supposed to talk to all of them?

“Don’t put on such a face,” Kris flickered his shoulder. “They’re models in our agency too, you know—I’m sure you know some of them. And...ah, I told you Jongin would be here.” He pointed to the other side of the room and he was right, Jongin was there. The tanned skin male acknowledge his presence. He waved his hand with a slight grin and Chanyeol waved back awkwardly. “There’s Luhan. You know Luhan, right?”

“Y—yeah.”

“Good. Now don’t break anything in the apartment because Junmyeon’s basically a prince,” Kris said almost threateningly. “You can’t afford anything even with your monthly paycheck. Now if you’ll excuse me...and oh, feel free to drink and have a chat.”

Chanyeol somehow wanted to kick Kris for bringing him here and sighed in defeat. He carefully looked around—and did his best to not stumble on anything because he could be very clumsy sometimes—and decided to just greet Jongin. Chanyeol grabbed a drink from the nearest table before making his way to the balcony, but stopped when he saw Jongin was in an intense lip lock session with another male. It almost amused him that he had seen two of his friends made out that night—something that he was never going to be able to see at work.

“You’re Chanyeol, right?”

Chanyeol turned his head to a tall male with scary eyes. “Yeah? Wait, I know you. You’re...Tao, right?”

Zitao grinned. “Nice to know you know me. What brings you here?”

“Kris,” Chanyeol grumbled as he sipped his drink.

“Oh? You like Kris?”

“No,” Chanyeol retorted quickly and almost choked on his saliva. “No, I mean, he brought me here. ...and left me to be with his boyfriend.”

Tao laughed. “Yeah, he does that all the time. You’ll get used to that. Why don’t I introduce you to the others? Most of them work in the same place of us, you know. The rest of them are either boyfriends or neighbors.”

“Oh. I only know Jongin. Luhan...and that tall guy over there?”

Zitao followed his gaze and nodded. “Sehun.” The male was about to say something else when another male with cute chubby cheeks called out his name panickly from the door.

“Tao! Quick! Chen is throwing up in the bathroom!”

The person named Chen must be very precious to Zitao because he dashed to the bathroom in a record time, leaving everyone gaping in shock. Chanyeol could only blink and stole a hopeful glance to the balcony, maybe Jongin was done with—okay, maybe not. He gulped down the rest of his drink and sighed mournfully. Maybe he could sneak out of the place without anyone noticing...

Chanyeol carelessly dragged his feet toward the door and accidentally kick something. He almost stumbled forward but managed to grab a hold of the arm of the loveseat nearby to prevent himself from falling. Chanyeol winced at the sudden pain on his feet and looked down.

It was a wheelchair.

He batted his eyelashes rapidly at the thing in front of him. Maybe it was Junmyeon’s parents...or grandparents. Chanyeol groaned softly as he straightened himself up.

“Are—are you alright?”

Chanyeol rubbed his feet gently and nodded without even looking at who was talking. “Yeah.”

“Should’ve put that somewhere else... I knew someone would eventually knock on it.”

Chanyeol chuckled as he looked up and his smile almost disappeared at the sight of the male before him. His throat became dry and his heart started beating faster to an unknown reason. The male was pretty—not as beautiful as Junmyeon—but he was definitely pretty. He was sitting on the loveseat with a book on his lap and it got Chanyeol to blink. The others were laughing and chatting and drinking and making out while he just sat there and read something.

“Accidents happen,” Chanyeol muttered.

The male looked amused. “I guess...?”

“Baekhyun!”

All of a sudden, Luhan threw himself out of nowhere onto the couch and hugged the male tightly. “You’re reading another book again? Come on, you’re supposed to have fun here!”

“This is my way of having fun,” Baekhyun replied and Chanyeol kind of hated to see Luhan’s arms on the male’s shoulders. “Are you having fun, my dear hyung?”

Luhan opened his mouth to reply, but said nothing when he noticed Chanyeol beside them and gave the tall male a cheeky smile. “Oh, hi, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol smiled back. “Hi, Luhan.”

“You know him?” Baekhyun asked Luhan with a frown.

“Yeah. He’s also a model. Works with Yifan most of the time, though. It can’t be helped. Just look at his intimidating height,” Luhan grinned.

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol and the latter felt his stomach was filled with speeding butterflies. “...yeah.”

“Baekhyun.” Kris’ voice sent the three of them to turn their heads to him. “It’s pretty late. We should go home. You need to drink your medicine and rest.”

Baekhyun obediently closed the book he was reading. “Alright. I’m sorry, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol frowned. Why was he apologizing?

“Ah, I see you’ve met Chanyeol,” Kris then turned to Chanyeol apologetically. “Hey, I’m sorry. Zitao was supposed to introduce you to the others but then Chen got sick, so...”

“It’s alright,” Chanyeol shook his head.

“Do you need a drive home?” Kris got another head shake as an answer. “Okay then.” He then leaned down to Baekhyun and was going to embrace him or something—Chanyeol wasn’t sure—but Baekhyun looked hesitant. “Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun uncomfortably looked at Chanyeol and it was Luhan who understood.

“Ah,” Luhan softly patted Baekhyun’s head. “He’s Yifan’s friend. Yifan would have never brought him here if he’s unkind.”

Baekhyun still looked hesitant for a moment before nodding slowly.

“Chanyeol, could you please?”

Chanyeol didn’t really understand everything until he saw Kris firmly pulled Baekhyun into his arms and carried him gently. Baekhyun held Kris’ arms tightly for protection as he hid his face on the taller male’s chest, his dangling feet looked limp and weak. Chanyeol took a step aside by instinct and almost stumbled backward when he realized Kris was about to put the other male onto the wheelchair.

It was Baekhyun’s wheelchair.

“Should’ve put this somewhere else, hyung,” Chanyeol heard Baekhyun mumbling to Kris. “Chanyeol accidentally kicked it.”

“Be careful,” Junmyeon said and Kris couldn’t help but to kiss him again. “Call me when you get home.”

“I will. See you tomorrow, Chanyeol.”

With that, Kris wheeled Baekhyun out of the room.

Chanyeol was left utterly speechless.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol wanted to ask Kris about Baekhyun, but it seemed rude for him to do so. The thought of asking Junmyeon crossed his mind, but they had just met and who was he to ask such thing? However, Chanyeol was curious. He just had to know.

Of all people, Luhan was the first person he saw the next morning. He looked pretty close with Baekhyun and Kris judging from last night... The pretty, blond haired male still looked sleepy when Chanyeol approached him. “Ah, good morning Chanyeol.”

“Who’s Baekhyun?” Chanyeol blurted without preamble.

Suddenly Luhan didn’t feel sleepy anymore. He was taken aback at the sudden question. “Huh...? Baekhyun?”

“Y—yeah,” Chanyeol stammered and wanted to smack himself in the face. He nervously cleared his throat to start over. “I mean...Baekhyun. Kris took him home last night, right? But...isn’t Kris with Junmyeon...?”

“Ah,” the pretty male slowly broke into an understanding smile. “Baekhyun is his younger brother.”

It took at least ten seconds for Chanyeol to fully understand the sentence. “They’re siblings? B—but Kris is Chinese!”

“Step brothers. Their parents got remarried—Yifan’s mother and Baekhyun’s father—when Yifan was ten, I think, and Baekhyun was barely eight,” Luhan gave Chanyeol an unreadable stare as he adjusted the bag on his shoulder. “But even though they’re not related by blood, Yifan is very protective of Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol still had a lot of questions on his mind but their conversation got interrupted when one of the noonas called their names for clothes fitting.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol didn’t meet Kris until a few days later.

They were taking photoshoots for a local magazine but both of them were busy with each other’s pose so no conversation was established. When they were finally done, it was almost midnight and Kris offered to drive Chanyeol home. The situation was awkward because Chanyeol wanted to ask but he wasn’t sure if it was proper for him to do so.

Kris was the first one to break the silence between them.

“Are you hungry?”

Chanyeol blinked as he felt his stomach grumbled in response. He recalled only eating a sandwich for breakfast because the call for the photoshoot this morning came out so suddenly. “Yeah.”

“Want to eat first?”

Kris got a shrug as an answer. “Yeah, why not.”

“Then let’s go to the best restaurant in town.”

Chanyeol was taken to an apartment downtown—but it clearly wasn’t Junmyeon’s. Although it was not as luxurious as Junmyeon’s place, but the environment was nice. Kris rolled his window down and greeted the security guards before driving past the gate. I thought we’re going to eat? Is there a restaurant inside? When Kris got off of the car, Chanyeol hesitantly followed him. They went into the elevator and went up to the fifth floor. Chanyeol finally braved himself to make a sound when Kris fumbled with the keys to the door.

“Um, hyung, whose place is this—“

The door was unlocked with a click and Kris put a finger on his lips to tell him to be quiet. Chanyeol quickly did as told as they stepped carefully into the room. The place was dark and dimmed—obviously at this hour, everyone had gone to bed. Kris turned the lamp on by the table and closed the door behind them.

“Baekhyun is asleep. Let’s try not to be loud,” Kris said in a low voice as he shrugged off his jacket.

Baekhyun.

The name reminded Chanyeol that he still had at least a hundred questions for Kris but right then he couldn’t ask.

“Are you going to cook for me?” Chanyeol whispered loudly because he was hungry and he still didn’t understand why Kris had taken him home in the first time. “I thought you were going to take me to the best restaurant.”

Kris almost burst out laughing as he placed a hand over his mouth. “Silly. This is the best restaurant, you know. Baekhyun’s a really good cook.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, Yixing and Kyungsoo have taught him a lot... Ah, Kyungsoo is Jongin’s boyfriend. The one you saw him in a liplock session with the other day? And Yixing’s my—our cousin. Surely you know that we’re not blood related?”

Chanyeol dumbly nodded as they made their way quietly to the kitchen. Kris grinned widely as he saw a large bowl of fried noodles on the dining table, covered in a plastic wrap. Chanyeol felt his mouth watering at the sight.

“I usually don’t bother heating it up,” Kris informed and Chanyeol nodded hastily. Kris got him a plate and a fork as they sat on the empty chairs. “Baekhyun usually cooks something dry for me whenever I go home late. Like pasta or fried rice. That way, I don’t have to reheat them anymore because usually I would be too exhausted to do so. There you go. Have a nice meal.”

Chanyeol told him the same before digging in to his plate. He stopped moving when the taste spreaded in his mouth and had to close his eyes for a moment. It tasted extremely delicious. “This...is...really good.”

“I know,” Kris replied in amusement as he, too, ate the food. “Told you this is the best restaurant.”

Within minutes, the large bowl was empty because Chanyeol had asked for another portion and Kris was more than happy to let him have it. They had a decent conversation while eating and it got Chanyeol to know the other side of Kris. Despite his grumpy face, he was actually a really kind and caring guy. His eyes softened everytime Chanyeol asked about Junmyeon, his parents and his friends. Their parents lived in Canada and the only reason Baekhyun was in Korea with Kris was because they could never really be separated (because Kris had been spoiling Baekhyun a lot more than his parents did to him).

Chanyeol tried to not be so damn obvious, but it was clear that all of the questions would eventually lead to the name of a certain male.

Kris gave him a knowing smile. “What do you really want to ask?”

Chanyeol lowered his gaze and gulped. “...Baekhyun.”

“What about my brother?”

Chanyeol almost flinched at Kris’ tone. His tone was kind and yet stern at the same time (just like the tone of what a father would use when he met the lover of his children). “Was he born...that way?”

“No.”

“Oh.”

“It was really bad,” Kris directed his gaze to someplace else as he reminisced. “His feet were trapped and they had a hard time getting him out of the car. I thought I—I was going to lose him.” The last sentence came out as a whisper and Chanyeol felt really bad for reminding him. “When he finally opened his eyes in the hospital, the first thing he told me was that he couldn’t feel his legs.”

Chanyeol almost whimpered.

“Baekhyun once desperately tried stabbing his thighs just to feel a pain. I blanched at the sight of the blood trailing on his feet, and he was crying because he couldn’t feel anything. It was a really hard time for him. For us,” Kris grimaced. “We did everything we could. Surgeries. Therapies. He had undergo a lot of surgeries, Chanyeol. He said nothing but everytime he was brought to the hospital, his eyes showed that he was terrified. And I couldn’t say anything but to hug him and told him that it was going to be alright.”

Chanyeol’s throat went dry as he gulped. “...will he...”

Kris pressed his lips into a thin line as he waited.

“...will he ever be able to walk again?”

Kris only gave Chanyeol a dark stare.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

It was almost two in the morning when they realized the time and Kris told him to stay.

Chanyeol offered himself to sleep on the couch while Kris offered his bedroom (“I can always crash on Baekhyun’s room,” he said and somehow the thought of Kris curling together with Baekhyun bugged him very much so he politely declined). Maybe Kris got some sort of brother complex.

Kris had given him a blanket to sleep through the night. Because of his freaking height, he had to curl for a sleeping position and it wasn’t really uncomfortable, but it would do. He loudly exhaled as he pulled the blanket until it completely covered his body and within minutes, he fell asleep.

Morning came too soon and Chanyeol moaned in distaste. Since the photoshoots were done last night, they had a few days off until the agency called them again if there was a new job. He could feel the brightness of the sun rudely disturbed his sleep—please just close the curtain, please. Chanyeol sighed in defeat because the sun was already high and it was time for him to go home—wait, that was right. He wasn’t in his own apartment.

He pulled the blanket until it uncovered his face and adjusted his eyes with the surrounding. Kris was probably still asleep too in his room. Chanyeol straightened his back and grunted. The couch was comfortable, too bad he had a pair of freaking long feet. Chanyeol was about to get up and wash his face when he heard a song. He paused momentarily, wondering if it was a ringtone or something, but no. It was someone’s voice.

Someone was singing.

Baekhyun was singing.

Chanyeol found himself captivated by the smooth voice. The sound rang beautifully to his ears like a peaceful serenade. Chanyeol stayed still to continue to listen to the flawless voice and finally got up to walk to the kitchen. Baekhyun had his back on him when Chanyeol stepped in. The male was in his wheelchair, facing the stove to make some coffee. He was still singing.

“Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun stopped singing abruptly as he threw a glance over his shoulder and gasped. “Yi—Yifan!”

Chanyeol blinked. “I—I think Kris is still sleeping...”

Baekhyun visibily tensed and wheeled his chair away from the stove. “O—oh? Did you...did you sleep here?”

Chanyeol sheepishly scratched his head. “Yeah, on the couch.”

“On the couch? Why didn’t you sleep in Yifan’s room? We can sleep together.”

He knew the term ‘we can sleep together’ from Baekhyun wasn’t a negative one and it got him to wonder if Baekhyun was also a brother complex. He grimaced slightly and tried to bring another subject. “Oh. I also had the nicest fried noodle last night.”

“Fried...”, Baekhyun trailed off as he shifted his gaze to the dining table and found two dirty plates instead of one. “Oh. You...you ate it, too? Yifan shared my food with you?”

Chanyeol nodded. “He did.”

Baekhyun looked speechless. “He did...?”

Chanyeol was starting to be confused. “Is something wrong?”

“N—no...not at all...”, Baekhyun quickly shook his head. It’s just that Yifan never shares anything I cook except for Junmyeon. “Um...coffee?”

“I’d like one. Thank you,” Chanyeol replied with a smile and Baekhyun quickly busied himself to make another cup of coffee. The taller male sat on one of the empty seats by the dining table and rested his cheek on his fist. “You have a great voice.”

“Ex—excuse me?”

“Your singing. It was lovely.”

Baekhyun turned crimson as he watched Chanyeol unblinkingly. “R—really?”

Chanyeol chuckled. “Why would I lie about that?”

“It’s just...I’ve never really sung in front of anyone else... And not that I sang for you, I didn’t even know you were here.”

“Hmm,” Chanyeol hummed thoughtfully, his eyes following every movement Baekhyun’s hands made. “Even so, I’m glad I’m your first audience, then. That means I’m special,” Chanyeol unabashedly grinned.

Baekhyun softly snorted.

But then, he shyly smiled back and Chanyeol almost died because it was so blinding.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol waited patiently in front of the door.

His hands were fished in his pockets as he tapped his foot against the floor in a slow pace, because he knew Baekhyun wouldn’t be able to rush to the door like Kris. He had called Kris earlier, asking him about his jacket because he had left home without one and the black haired male had told him to just come and get it. Unfortunately, Kris wasn’t home and Baekhyun was alone and—

The door swung open. “Yes?”

Chanyeol blinked and had to double check if it was the right room. The male who just opened the door was clad in some kind of hospital—nurse, apparently—suit and Chanyeol took a step backward. “I—“, he said in doubt. “I think I knocked on the wrong door—“

“Are you Yifan’s friend?”

Chanyeol could only blink dumbly and nodded in response.

“You’re at the right place,” the male winked and extended a hand. “Jinki, but almost everyone calls me Onew.”

Chanyeol stared at the offered hand before reluctantly taking it. “Chanyeol.”

“Hyung, who is it?”

Baekhyun appeared behind Jinki and looked surprised to see the tall male. “Ch—Chanyeol? What are you doing here?”

“Hi,” Chanyeol raised a hand. “I called Kris earlier, but he told me to just...” He was unable to finish his sentence because Baekhyun was wearing his jacket and damn he looked good even though it was slightly bigger—the sleeves were too long on his hands. Maybe Baekhyun didn’t thought it was Chanyeol’s—he probably assumed that it was his brother’s jacket and decided to just wear it. “...nevermind.”

“Are you ready?” Jinki asked and Baekhyun nodded. “Let’s get going then.” He wheeled Baekhyun out of the room and locked the door.

“You guys are going somewhere?” Chanyeol couldn’t help but asked as they walked together to the elevator.

“It’s Baekhyun’s weekly therapy,” Jinki explained. “Yifan couldn’t take him to the hospital so he called me to pick him up.”

“Weekly therapy?” Chanyeol parroted dumbly.

Jinki stared blankly at him. “For his feet.”

“Oh. Right.”

“Yifan would usually accompany me,” Baekhyun said almost sadly. “I don’t like going to the hospital alone.”

“Oh,” Chanyeol glanced at his wristwatch and pursed his lips in thought. “I have nothing to do. How about I come along to the hospital?”

Both Baekhyun and Jinki froze the moment they stepped out of the elevator. Chanyeol deadpanned.

“What?”

“You—you want to come?” Baekhyun whispered in disbelief.

Chanyeol shrugged. “You said you disliked going to the hospital alone, right? I can accompany you.”

“B—but it would usually take about two hours...”

Chanyeol shot his wristwatch another glance. “I have more than two hours for you, Baekhyun.”

Silence descended upon them. Chanyeol looked confused and Baekhyun looked a bit troubled. Jinki threw them a weird look but it was also him who finally decided to break the tension by asking, “Do you need a ride?”

“I brought my car today.”

Jinki nodded. “Then we’ll see you at the hospital.”

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Dr. Park Jungsu.

Chanyeol read the name nonchalantly as he followed both Jinki and Baekhyun into the therapy room. Jungsu gave Baekhyun a warm smile and a brief hug the moment they got inside. Something akin to jealousy bubbled in him and shook his head to wipe the irrational thought.

They’re just doctor and patient, Chanyeol.

“How are you feeling, Baekhyun?”

“Fine, I guess.”

Jungsu only smiled as he ruffled Baekhyun’s hair affectionately like a brother and shifted his eyes to Chanyeol. His eyebrows were raised so high that they were hidden underneath his bangs. “Wow. This is the first time anyone else except Yifan has ever accompanied Baekhyun. I’m Park Jungsu, by the way, Baekhyun’s doctor.”

“Park Chanyeol. Nice to meet you.”

Jungsu nodded and turned to Baekhyun. “Shall we start, then?”

Chanyeol wasn’t sure of what to do so he cleared his throat. “I’ll, uh... I’ll be outside? Call me if you need me?”

Baekhyun whipped his head to his direction so fast that Chanyeol was afraid it would break. His eyes were filled with worry and Chanyeol gave him a gentle smile.

“I’m not going anywhere, Baekhyun. I’ll be outside until you’re done.”

“O—okay,” Baekhyun whispered and with that, Chanyeol left the room.

He looked down at his own long legs and felt grateful. Chanyeol hated when everyone made fun of him for being the tallest one back in high school (if only they knew that Kris was even taller), but it got him to be a model and became somewhat famous. Now he could smile smugly at his friends if they ever had a reunion. He slowly leaned his back against the wall and pondered. It must have been really hard for Baekhyun to go through all of this. And the fact that Kris was being such a nice, supportive big brother... It must have been harder if his family and friends didn’t support him.

Chanyeol killed most of his time by reading the magazines in the waiting room, playing angry birds in his phone and walking back and forth in the hall. He despised waiting, but if Kris could do it, so could he. Chanyeol was standing in front of a vending machine, wondering what to have when Jinki patted his shoulder lightly.

“Yeah?”

“Baekhyun wants to try walking.”

Chanyeol went blank for a moment. “And he needs me?”

Jinki gave him a weird look. “It’s his first wish to try in two years and you’re asking if he needs you?”

“Wh—I—but—“ Chanyeol stammered and Jinki intercepted.

“Yifan has been persuading him for two years and he never gives in, Chanyeol.”

But it’s supposed to be Kris and not me.

“Come on,” Jinki dragged Chanyeol back to the room without even waiting for his reply.

Baekhyun was sitting on the edge of the seat. He bit his lower lip nervously as he tried to wiggle his toes. His hands curled into tight fists on his lap and they were trembling. Baekhyun’s chest was moving up and down and he looked like he was going to cry. It was hard, but he never complained. After a few tries, there was a slight movement from his legs and Jungsu almost squealed in excitement.

“Baekhyun!” The doctor cried. “It’s a huge progress! Can you feel your legs?”

“A—almost,” Baekhyun said weakly. “I—I still can’t feel them completely...”

“You just need more practice,” Jungsu squeezed Baekhyun’s shoulder lightly as he proceeded to stand. “Now, let’s try the next step. It might be hard for you to walk, why don’t we just focus on trying to stand?” He extended his hands to Baekhyun which the latter completely ignored the split second Chanyeol walked into the room. Jungsu followed his gaze and grinned. “Ah, the prince is here.”

Chanyeol looked just as nervous as Baekhyun. The tall male wiped the sweat of his palms on his jeans and gave him a comforting smile. He knelt down in front of Baekhyun with a calming stare. “Are you ready?”

“Not really,” Baekhyun whispered fearfully. “B—but I have to try, right?”

“Right,” Chanyeol whispered back and let Baekhyun intertwined their fingers together. The latter’s digits looked surprisingly small in his and Chanyeol found himself staring at how perfect they fit. He mentally berated himself. It was not the best time to have that kind of thought. “On three? One, two—“

Baekhyun gasped as Chanyeol tried to pull him up by his arms and fear waved over him. “W—wait—“, he cried and Chanyeol paused. “I’m—I’m scared.”

“It’s alright, Baekhyun.”

“N—no, I’m not—I’m not ready.”

Chanyeol pressed their foreheads together almost naturally and gave in to Baekhyun’s request. But then he recalled Jinki saying that it was his first wish in two years...and Chanyeol didn’t want to give up that easily. The tall male glanced over his shoulder to look at Jungsu. “Is it okay if I try something else?”

Jungsu frowned. “As long as it doesn’t hurt Baekhyun.”

“Got it,” Chanyeol leaned forward to wrap his arms around Baekhyun’s waist and pulled him abruptly into a hug before standing up.

“CHANYEOL!!” Baekhyun screamed as he held on Chanyeol’s arms desperately to prevent him from falling. He was breathless and immediately shut his eyes in fear. Chanyeol ignored the pain he felt from Baekhyun’s nails digging on his skin. Baekhyun let out a terrified whimper as he felt himself sinking slowly and Chanyeol adjusted his hands on Baekhyun’s waist to straighten him up.

Minutes went by and Baekhyun slowly revealed his beautiful eyes to the world—to Chanyeol. His heartbeat quickened and he didn’t know if it was from Chanyeol being this close to him or from the adrenaline rush caused by his attempt to stand. Baekhyun lifted up his face and Chanyeol looked down. He could feel the other male’s strong arms s on his waist, preventing him from falling. He could feel his heart beating for the male in front of him.

For Chanyeol.

“Oh my God,” Jungsu breathed as he brought a hand to his mouth. “You’re standing, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun gasped as he threw a glance down warily. His doctor was right—he was standing. Although it wasn’t exactly the same because if Chanyeol let go of him, he would definitely fall. Baekhyun could faintly feel his heels on something—Chanyeol’s feet.

“Wow,” Chanyeol whispered.

Baekhyun slowly exhaled the breath he had been holding and gazed at him. “Wh—what? Am I heavy?”

Chanyeol chuckled and shook his head. The taller male gave him a fond stare and Baekhyun almost felt loved by it.

“Your height is perfect for me, Baekhyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

The therapy ended with Jungsu almost being emotional about his effort to stand and he was positive that if Baekhyun kept it up and worked really hard on practicing, he would be able to walk again in no time. Chanyeol bowed in respect at the older male and drove Baekhyun home.

Chanyeol saw a stand of street snacks as they drove by and realized that he hadn’t eaten anything since morning. “Are you hungry? Wanna grab a bite first before heading home?”

“Sure. What do you have in mind?”

“Well,” Chanyeol paused to think. “There’s this restaurant downtown that—“

“Oh.”

“Hm?”

Baekhyun lowered his gaze to his hands. “I’m not really comfortable eating in a restaurant...”

“I assure you it’s a family restaurant, so you don’t have to worry being seen in an awkward situation with me—“

“It’s not that,” Baekhyun cut his sentence and shook his head worriedly. “It’s just that... I’m embarassed.”

Chanyeol’s brow furrowed together in a line. “Why?”

“Because...people will turn to look at me.”

“Baekhyun, you’re gorgeous, of course everyone will turn to look at you.”

Baekhyun felt his face flaming because Chanyeol definitely got it wrong. “I—I’ll just be a burden to you and besides, it would be a pain if you keep on wheeling me everywhere...”

Chanyeol threw him a disbelief look. “Wanna try me?”

“No,” Baekhyun replied in exasperation. “Can we—can we just buy takeouts and eat at home? Or if you want, I can cook something for us...”

Chanyeol pursed his lips as he narrowed his eyes. “Maybe takeouts. Cooking is tiring and you need to rest as soon as we get home.” He saw Baekhyun leaning his head on the window from the corner of his eyes. It didn’t take him very long to start another conversation. “If Kris isn’t home...how do you handle yourself?”

“Jinki-hyung comes everyday to bathe me.”

Chanyeol snapped his neck to Baekhyun before realizing that he needed to fix his eyes straight ahead instead of the pretty male beside him. “J—Jinki? That Jinki I met earlier? The same nurse Jinki who was picking you up?”

“That’s him,” Baekhyun sounded amused. “It can’t be helped. I need someone and a nurse is a perfect choice.”

“B—but...he didn’t do anything to you, right?”

“Oh my God, you sound like Yifan. How long have you known him?”

“I...sound like Kris?”

“You just asked the very same question to me,” Baekhyun snorted into laughter. “It was his—our mother who decided that I needed a nurse because they were far away and couldn’t make it to Korea often no matter how much they wanted to. They did it without Yifan’s approval so he had exactly your expression when he found out that Jinki had come to bathe me.”

“That’s because I—“ Chanyeol stopped. What was he about to say? “And after that? What if you need to go to the bathroom?”

“Well, it’s been two years, so I’m kinda used to it...besides, Yifan’s friends would constantly check on me. Most of the times it would be Yixing and Kyungsoo. Luhan-hyung sometimes, when he’s not busy with Sehun.”

Chanyeol’s lips curved into a smile because Baekhyun sounded happy when he talked about them. “I’m glad. They all care so much about you. It’s a good thing.”

Baekhyun could only stare at him longingly because all he wanted to say was,

I want you to care for me too, Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol thoroughly observed his face in the mirror and pouted. “These make-ups ruin my perfect face.”

“You should do facial more often?” Kris suggested as he tried to tidy his hair. The hair stylist noona had put too much gel on it. “That reminds me. Chanyeol, are you free for the week?”

Chanyeol’s eyes drifted to Kris’ reflection in the mirror. “I don’t have plans yet. Why? You want me to do facial?”

Kris snorted. “I was just wondering if you could take care of Baekhyun for this week?”

Chanyeol was stunned in his seat. “Me?”

“Yeah, you,” Kris’ eyes caught his from the mirror. “You know, Doctor Jungsu told me something when I took Baekhyun to the hospital this week.”

“Wh—what did he say?”

“He told me...Baekhyun looked happy.”

Chanyeol slightly gaped at his words. “You mean...all this time, he wasn’t...?”

“It was different,” Kris turned around to face Chanyeol. “He was eager to do his therapy and he was highly spirited. It’s been two years, Chanyeol. Two years of us hoping for a miracle because Baekhyun had never showed any determination to try. All he did was just wasting our parents’ money and suddenly, he just wanted to try.”

Chanyeol gulped.

“Because of you.”

Kris gave him a solemn stare.

“And I can’t thank you enough for that. Thank you for also accompanying him to the hospital the other day. Besides, I would feel at ease if he’s with you other than anyone else.”

Amber knocked on the door to let them know she was there. “Kris, Chanyeol, be prepared. You guys will have to be on the catwalk on ten. Wait, where’s Sehun?” She made a face when Kris and Chanyeol stayed expressionless. “I’m gonna kill Luhan for his disappearance. On ten, guys, don’t forget!”

Kris smoothed the hem of the designer’s clothes he was wearing and sighed once again at how awful his hair looked. It was just his feeling of course because Kris always looked breathtaking no matter what kind of hairstyles he had. They were walking toward the door when the black haired male looked over his shoulder. “Oh. Didn’t you say you were coming to get your jacket back?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you decide not to have it back?”

Chanyeol looked slightly embarassed. “Yeah.”

Kris’ annoying gaze dissolved into laughter. “It suits him more anyway.”

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Kris’ definition of ‘taking care of Baekhyun this week’ was different from what Chanyeol had in mind.

The male thought it meant as coming over to help and stuffs, but it turned out that Kris was gone for a vacation. With Junmyeon. Alone. Just the two of them. Doing God knows it. Chanyeol facepalmed and planned to uppercut Kris the moment he came back.

Chanyeol met Jinki again at the first day of Kris’ disappearance (okay, he was overreacting) and the nurse flashed him an impish smile. He pretended he didn’t understand what it meant as he continued to glare at his laptop while Jinki went to bathe Baekhyun. Chanyeol almost screeched when he heard giggles echoing in the bathroom and was very relieved when Jinki had finally left. He wondered if he could manage to prevent himself from killing Jinki for the rest of the week.

Just like Baekhyun had informed, Yixing came to check on him that day. The male didn’t talk much to Chanyeol, but he cooked them delicious dinner and after making sure that Baekhyun was alright, he went straight home. Chanyeol also left early that night and promised Baekhyun he would come back the next day.

It became a routinity for Chanyeol to come over. He didn’t feel like it was a burden because Kris had asked him to, but more because he wanted to. Seeing Baekhyun had become a routinity. It was like if Chanyeol didn’t see Baekhyun for even a day, he would feel empty. It was Kyungsoo’s turn to check on Baekhyun that day and his doe eyes went up and down at Chanyeol. Kyungsoo was a lot more talkative compared to Yixing and they quickly became friends. A few hours later, Jongin picked Kyungsoo up at the apartment and Chanyeol also left soon after tucking Baekhyun in his bed.

Few days had passed and Chanyeol came to realize how boring it actually was for Baekhyun to just stay at home. After Jinki had left, Chanyeol shoved Baekhyun his jacket and the latter shot him a questioning look. “How about we take a walk outside?”

Baekhyun’s expression changed and he grimly shook his head. Chanyeol didn’t give up that easily. The tall male opened the door to the balcony for some fresh air and jerked his head toward it. “Then let’s just stay at the balcony.” Chanyeol wheeled Baekhyun out before the latter had time to protest. “It’s not healthy to stay in the house twenty four seven. You need some fresh air.”

“I went outside,” Baekhyun defended himself weakly.

“To the hospital,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes and sighed. “Why are you doing this to yourself, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun avoided Chanyeol’s intense stare. “...I don’t like it when people give me their pitiful looks.”

“And it’s better for you to just lock yourself at home?” Chanyeol shook his head disapprovingly. “Baekhyun, I don’t like it. I don’t want you to be ashamed. This is nothing to ashamed of.”

“You have no right to say that, because you have no idea of what I’ve been through.”

“I know,” Chanyeol said in exasperation. “But I’m trying to tell you that I’m not ashamed of you so please, don’t do it to yourself.”

Baekhyun wordlessly looked away. His fingers were locked in his lap. “...you’re not ashamed of me?”

“No.”

“But—but I’m not even special to you, Chanyeol...”

Chanyeol caressed Baekhyun’s cheek with the back of his hand. There he went again, staring so fondly at Baekhyun that it hurt, and the male felt almost—almost loved. Chanyeol couldn’t think of a proper word to express his feeling. Instead, he his dry lips before leaning forward to taste Baekhyun’s dry ones.

A simple act showed a whole lot more than a simple word.

“You are, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol whispered against Baekhyun’s quivering lips. “You are.”

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

It was supposed to be the last day for Chanyeol to ‘take care of Baekhyun’ because Kris was supposed to be back. But it turned out that Baekhyun’s brother had extended his trip to another week and Chanyeol felt a bit relieved because he wasn’t sure how to face Kris—now that he had kissed Baekhyun. Kris might send him a punch since all he said was ‘to take care’ and not ‘to ruin’ his brother.

Unfortunately, with Kris’ absence, Chanyeol got a lot of jobs the following week. He became busy with modeling and clothes fitting and photoshooting that he barely had time to visit Baekhyun anymore. Most of the times his work was done around midnight and he had to be on the set in early morning for the next day. Whenever he got the time to call Baekhyun, the male didn’t pick up—maybe because he was already asleep. And when Baekhyun would call back in the morning, Chanyeol didn’t pick up—usually because his phone was in the bag and his bag was tossed somewhere in the corner of the room.

Baekhyun’s texts were also ignored.

It was at the end of the week that Chanyeol was finally able to breathe normally. The nightmares of having so much make-up powdered on his face and the way his skin prickled because not all of the clothes were comfortable to wear finally ended. It was Friday night and everyone was celebrating, but Chanyeol was too tired to join. He politely declined the invitation and decided he would just go home. When he said ‘home’, the image of Baekhyun was carved in his mind instead of his actual place.

Chanyeol was driving to Baekhyun’s apartment when he heard his phone ringing faintly. It reminded him that he hadn’t checked his phone for the day (or any other day for that whole week) and snatched the device out of his bag when he stopped by a red light. It was a text from Baekhyun.

Are we breaking up?

Chanyeol went blank at the text. He was soon distracted from the thought when the light turned green. Fortunately, Baekhyun’s apartment was already near and within a few minutes, he was already standing in front of the wooden door, knocking softly for attention. He didn’t wait long enough for the door to be opened. Chanyeol’s smile dissipated instantly at Baekhyun’s expression.

“Ch—Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol invited himself to come in and closed the door. Baekhyun wheeled backward to avoid the taller male and he looked like a mess. His bang was haphazardly falling over his eyes and his black orbs were droopy. Chanyeol became alarmed as he knelt before Baekhyun and reached out for his cheek. “Have you been crying?”

Baekhyun couldn’t hold back his tears anymore as he sobbed into his hands.

Chanyeol immediately pulled him into an embrace and felt something tugged his heartstrings apart at the sound of Baekhyun’s cry. “Hey, it’s alright... I’m here... Baekhyun, stop crying...”

“I’m—I’m sorry,” Baekhyun choked as he gasped for air. “I—I thought you didn’t want me—anymore—“

“What makes you say that?” Chanyeol murmured against his hair. “I’ve been very busy this week, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t care about you anymore, Baekhyun.” He deadpanned and slowly pulled away to look at Baekhyun. “Baek, what did you mean by your text earlier?”

Baekhyun sniffled as he tried to keep his voice indifferent. “I—I thought—“

“Does this mean that we’re dating?”

Baekhyun’s heart grinded to a halt hearing those words. His every other thought vanished instantly from his mind and fear was etched clearly onto his face. “We...we’re not?”

A relieved sigh escaped Chanyeol’s lips as he smiled. He took a long pause to stare at Baekhyun’s delicate feature before capturing the other male’s lips in a searing kiss. “Don’t ever send something like that again. I don’t want to ever break up with you.”

His legs were starting to feel numb from the position. Chanyeol pulled away for a moment only to detach Baekhyun from the wheelchair into his arms and headed to the bedroom. Their lips never broke contact after that, not even once. They made it safely to the bed and their kisses got even more intimate as Chanyeol hovered above Baekhyun protectively, his hands lacing Baekhyun’s smaller ones. Chanyeol peppered Baekhyun’s slender neck with wet kisses and the latter emitted a soft cry.

Beautiful.

The taller male continued to mar Baekhyun’s skin and accidentally kneed Baekhyun’s inner thigh as he shifted.

Baekhyun gasped. “Chanyeol!”

Chanyeol paused for a brief second, but didn’t bother to stop. “Hm?”

“It tickles...”

Chanyeol only smiled at first, but then it hit him. His kisses slowly came to a stop as he looked at the now breathless Baekhyun beneath him. “What...?”

“It—it tickles,” Baekhyun shyly bit his lip.

Chanyeol thought it must be the sensitive spot on his neck. He slowly brought his hand to touch the few spots he had marked and Baekhyun only winced slightly in response. Then Chanyeol brought his hand down in hesitation, near Baekhyun’s navel, to the southern part, to the same place he had accidentally brushed earlier. On Baekhyun’s thigh.

Baekhyun’s eyes fluttered close. “Ch—Chanyeol...”

Chanyeol squeezed once again to make sure and Baekhyun opened his mouth in a silent gasp. “Oh my God,” Chanyeol breathed as he realized what was happening. “Baekhyun, you can feel it.”

Baekhyun still seemed hazy from the foreign sensation. “Wh—what...?”

The taller male only shook his head in reply as he desperately pulled Baekhyun into a heated kiss. He couldn’t explain because it was overwhelming and it made him even prouder to be the first one to know. But right then, he just wanted to have him.

“Baekhyun,” he moaned softly as he tried to Baekhyun’s pajamas. His hand went down again purposely near the pretty male’s crotch and Chanyeol felt him bucking his hips weakly in response.

“Y—yes?”

Chanyeol crawled up again to catch Baekhyun’s lips in a sweet kiss, tenderly this time.

“Call Jinki in the morning and tell him that he doesn’t need to come.”

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol woke up to a comforting warmth beside him and a beautiful view a painter couldn’t even express.

Baekhyun was lying on his stomach, his hand wrapped loosely on Chanyeol’s arm. Chanyeol smiled to himself and gave Baekhyun a peck. The latter stirred slightly from the touch but didn’t wake up. Chanyeol pressed the back of his hand on his forehead as he gazed at the ceiling. Baekhyun’s steady breath beside him gave him a calm and serene feeling.

He never wanted to lose that.

Chanyeol heard his phone buzzing on the nightstand and tried to reach it with his free hand. It almost marveled him how subtle yet strong Baekhyun’s grip on his other arm, as if preventing him to drift farther. Maybe Baekhyun is possessive. Chanyeol finally managed to grab his phone and squinted his eyes at the flashing name on the screen before clearing his throat.

“Kris. How nice of you to call. I was starting to wonder if you actually forget about me.”

Kris laughed obnoxiously on the other line. “How’s my Baekhyun?”

“He’s...”, Chanyeol gazed down at the sleeping figure beside him. He was going to say ‘perfect’ but then decided that he didn’t need to spoil anything for the black haired male. “...alright.”

“That’s good to hear. Anyway, I heard you covered for me when I’m gone? I’ll definitely make it up to you.”

“Maybe you should do it more often? I earned more money though.”

“You wish.”

“When are you coming back?”

“Tonight. I get the feeling you don’t really want me to go back.”

“On the contrary. The company needs your face, Kris. I can’t seem to copy it well.”

He had a feeling the other male rolled his eyes.

“How about dinner? Tonight? I’ll bring Junmyeon and probably ask the others to join. Do you want to bring a special someone?”

Chanyeol hummed as he turned to face the sleeping figure and pulled the blanket to cover Baekhyun’s shoulders.

“I will. Only if he’s ready.”

“He’s definitely will. Oh, and Chanyeol?”

“Yeah?”

“I’ll kill you if you ever hurt my little brother.”

“No other one, Yifan,” Chanyeol said firmly. “No other one.”

Baekhyun is the only one.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun wiggled his toes nervously. He could feel them twitching and lately he was also able to feel the coldness of the tiles on his heels. But it had been two years, and even if he did manage to stand, he wondered if his legs still remember how to support his body weight. Jungsu kept on telling him that it was a huge progress and all Baekhyun needed to do was to gather his courage and to try endless times.

“What if I fall?” Baekhyun whispered, suddenly feeling terrified.

“You won’t. I’ll be there to catch you, Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol sent him a caring smile and Baekhyun found himself drowning in those beautiful orbs. He muttered a soft ‘okay’ before hesitantly putting his hands on Chanyeol’s and exhaled deeply. Kris and Junmyeon were watching them anxiously at the end of the room.

“Ready?”

Baekhyun feebly nodded.

“One, two—“