Prologue

Amidst the Betrayal of Roses

"We're all weeds, you know," Amber says. "There's no such thing as roses and there'll never be any roses because they don't exist."

 
Her legs dangle from the roof of the building, about a few inches more she could easily drop. Yixing sits quietly next to her, paying cautious attention to her every move. Subconsciously, both his hands were ready to pull her back if she does happen to fall front. The evening breeze leave a cool sensation against his cheeks.
 
"You're a rose."
 
The sides of her lips twitches into a smirk, eyes gleaming darkly into the horizon. A part of her is amused by this statement, something about it so demented and impossible at the same time.
 
"It's true," Yixing says, noticing the shift of atmosphere. "Look past the thorns, and you'll see a rose."
 
"A wilting one," she mutters. "A dying one."
 
"A rose that still has time to live."
 
Amber breaks out into humourless laughter, cocking her head to one side so her eyes could meet with Yixing's. It left back a boyish grin on her face as she stares longer at him, watching her expression change from bitter amusement to uncertainty through the reflection of his eyes.
 
"You're ing naive, you know that?"
 
"I'm being honest."
 
"That's a pathetic way to start a lie."
 
She gets up on her feet and starts walking along the edge, ing both hands into the pockets of her grey hoodie. Yixing didn't like this one bit, especially the agitation in her body movements and the positioning of feet with every fearless step.
 
"Amber, that's enough."
 
She smirks briefly, and pretends to unbalance herself by leaning sideways towards the edge. With creased eyebrows, he stands up hesitantly so they were at the same level.
 
Sensing him behind her, she turns back to face the boy. There is an ambiguous glint in her eyes.
 
"You're the closest thing to a rose here, Yixing. Not me."