Track 04 - The Third Comedy: Purgatory I

The Guilty Vicarage

Note: Code Blue in a hospital setting refers to a situation in which someone needs resucitation.

 

-:-

 

St. Francis Medical Center

Emergency Department – Trauma Station I

New York, New York

11:42 AM

“Report.”

“23 year old male with a gunshot wound to the lower right abdomen. There are no traces of medical intervention and the wound itself seems to be at least a couple hours old. We’ve applied a pressure dressing and his CT shows a growing internal hemorrhage around the lower intestines.”

“Vitals.”

“BP 90/73 with a MAP of 67. Heart rate at 124 and he’s oxygen is saturating at 88%. We’ve already transfused three units of pack cells and we’re on the fourth. He’s in shock.”

“What about the blood gas?”

“His pH was 7.26. PaCO2 of 56, HCO3 of 24, and bicarbonate at -4.”

“Call for the Respiratory Therapist and get me a ventilator. Continue transfusions. Get Anesthesia to place a central line and call the Intensivist and get me an admitting order for the patient into the ICU. We need to get him on the ventilator before he crashes.”

 

 

NYPD Precinct

New York, New York

12:12 PM

As the morbid silence continued to slowly suffocate the thresholds of life that everyone held so dear, Seunghyun continued to throw slight gazes of suspicion and question against Minhwan. After all, he was the last person to have seen Hongki before his collapse. And no matter how skilled the agent was at lying or the art of deception, physiological imbalances were hard to mask, making it all the more troubling that Minhwan had missed Hongki’s wounds. Granted, many around him would and did calmly dismiss the fallacy to human error; however, Seunghyun thought otherwise. Looking to the collected individual from the corner of his eye, Seunghyun continued to ponder the same question repeatedly into the core of his brain; Choi Minhwan…What are you hiding?

And much like how he had anticipated, it seemed as if he wasn’t the only one with such questionable thoughts, as the others, Jonghun and Jaejin, continued to look at Minhwan in the same way. Circling his thumbs ahead of each other, Seunghyun continued to stare downwards at the floor uneasily. Judging from the contents that the team had amassed together, it was most plausible that there indeed was a silent mole within the internal workings of the technology department. And much like how Batman needs Robin to be successful in his superhuman feats, the mole would need an accomplice as well, and to that extent, there was but one question to ask; What better accomplice is there than one who works within the very investigative force that any internal mole would like to avoid.

“You used to be better at hiding your thoughts. The way you are now…its really transparent,” stifled Minhwan as he continued to maintain his straightforward gaze. “And judging from you’re hardened look, I don’t think you have the rationale to properly digest the information I would like to share with you.”

Disregarding his suspicions, Seunghyun chimed solemnly, “You were the last one to see him. And given that, someone of your level shouldn’t, or better yet, couldn’t miss a wound of that size.”

“I must be growing old,” replied Minhwan sarcastically. “I admit, my senses have been growing dull as of late.”

Sighing, Seunghyun retorted sharply, “Like I said, its impossible for someone of your level to be unable to detect an injury like that. Besides, even if we give you that, you were the last one to see him. Why didn’t you speak to the trauma doc when he triaged Hongki at Station D?”

Closing his eyes, Seunghyun lowered his head and gazed slowly onto the floor. “You know that I want to trust you more than anyone else here, Minhwan. But the factors just don’t add up. Carelessness is a faulty alibi, Minhwan.”

“You’re coming on me quite hard, Seunghyun.”

“I wouldn’t have to if you would kill your stubborn habit of playing games with people.”

“What is it that you want to say? Are you implying that I deliberately let him go?”

“It’s the only story that fits.”

 

As he maintained his composure, Jaejin stared onto the engaged pair lazily before running his hand through his hair. Closing his eyes, he remarked unexcitedly, “Tsk…Tsk…How dull. Those two really need to stop getting at each others throats.”

“Leave them be, Jaejin. Their relationship is stagnated at that childish level and will remain there until one of them sees the other take a bullet for him, which in its own right, is more rare that a unicorn prancing randomly through this precinct.”

“I know, I know. I’m just saying, after working with each other for some time, one would think that old enmities would be somewhat diluted.”

“You’re such an optimist, Jaejin. You of all people should know that the rivalry between those two will never go. They’ve been rivals ever since their enforcer days. Do remember that at one point, it would be that if one family hired Seunghyun, the rival family would hire Minhwan. I reckon they’ve left their respective marks on each other.”

Stifling a chuckle, Jaejin looked on to the bickering pair.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing really. I just happen to find the juxtaposition between Seunghyun’s seriousness and Minhwan’s nonchalance to be quite amusing.”

“You’re such a geek.”

“Hey. Its not my fault that you don’t have a brain to amidst all those muscles, Jonghun. If anything, take it up with you’re parents. They’re the ones who made you.”

Grinning, Jonghun rolled his eyes lazily at his own "rival" before throwing a light punch to his arm. “Jerk.”

Afterwards, they stared onto the pair silently as both Jonghun and Jaejin refined their analysis of the current situation. Like Jonghun had stated, Seunghyun and Minhwan were an unpredictable pair. Given their strengths, their cooperation would bring about results that were unsurpassed, however, given their normal strata, the two were like cat and dog. Still, it should be said that Seunghyun’s suspicions wasn’t without warrant. “Hey Jonghun –”

“Apparently, Hongki had told Minhwan not to say anything should something happen,” answered Jonghun. “Minhwan called me about it right after.”

“And you believe that?”

“I do. When it comes to loyalty, Minhwan isn’t one to stab somebody in the back like that. If he wants to settle a score, he’ll do it up front.”

“Jonghun –”

“Its never good to doubt you’re team, Jaejin. Because once it starts, there’s no stopping it. We end up incapacitating ourselves and murderers will roam free.”

“That’s a very clear cut way to look at things.”

“It is.”

“Well, seeing that you just told me about this development, I’m assuming you haven’t told Seunghyun anything either.”

Grinning mischievously, Jonghun snickered, “I’m actually about to go do that now. Their show is starting to bore me.”

 

 

St. Francis Medical Center

Intensive Care Unit – East Wing

New York, New York

12:33 AM

Shuffling his hands deeper, the coated man grasped a cylindrical article in his pockets as he continued to play about the white halls and corridors carelessly, similar in manner to a child who had ignorantly lost himself amidst the wide variety of colors and characters in Disneyland. However, for what it was worth, the questioned individual was not at happiest place on earth, but rather, one of the sadder, more morbid places.

Humming about, he silently sung to himself, what a pain, what a pain, all this for a little gain, before offering chagrin smiles to himself once more. Room 6328. Room 6329. Room 6330. Room 6331. Bingo. Peeking inside the room from the hall, he removed his glasses before making his way to the complimentary station and asking, “Hi. I’m looking for the patient, Lee Hongki. I was told that he would be here in the ICU. I’m a close friend of his.”

Upon his disclosure, the nurse rummaged through a thick folder, inside which, resided several other files, all of which were neatly organized into their respective dividers. Pulling forth a wristband, she quietly scanned the article onto the computer, bringing forth the entirety of Hongki’s medical record. She then dialed a number on the phone and waited some moments before speaking, “Hello. This is Carreon, the nurse for patient Lee Hongki in the ICU, who’s in room 6331. I have a visitor here who claims to be a close friend but I see that there is a visiting lock on his chart.”

Some moments passed.

“I see. Okay then. I’ll have him wait here.”

Disconnecting the line, she then looked to him, responding, “I’m sorry, sir. There’s a visiting lock on his file meaning that there’s no visitors allowed at all. If there are, they must be first profiled by security so please wait here for some minutes, Mr…”

“Yonghwa. Jung Yonghwa.”

“Mr. Yonghwa. Please feel free to take a seat in the waiting area. We’ll call you once security gets here.”

“Thank you, mam,” he curtly nodded. Making his way out the hall, a soft smile formed upon his face as his grasp around the cylindrical article tightened. He then pulled the matter out swiftly, revealing its identity as a labeled, 10 mL syringe. Inspecting the label carefully, he smiled darkly as it read 5 mL Lidocaine with 0.5% Epinephrine. USE WITH CAUTION.

“Oh my…An anesthetic and sympathomimetic cocktail, huh? Well, at least he’ll go peacefully and painlessly if he ain’t sedated enough already.” He then chuckled grimly as he peeled off the label, singing, once again, what a pain, what a pain, all this, for a little gain.

 

 

12:24 PM

“I still can’t believe you kept me in the dark about this,” Seunghyun pouted. He then eyed Minhwan, who sat calmly with a stoic gaze, lazing his stare out to the every busy streets. “I mean Minhwan I can understand, but you guys…I’m really disappointed.” Hearing this, Minhwan stifled a small laugh.

“What are you laughing at?” Seunghyun asked.

“Nothing. I’m just imagining how amusing it would’ve been to watch you play ‘catch the mole’ with your detective face on,” jeered Minhwan. “After all, your horrible when it comes to that.”

“Excuse me?”

“What? Have your ears gone deaf too?”

Cracking his knuckles, Seunghyun retorted, “Minhwan…I love you and all, but I’m giving you five seconds to take back what you said. Otherwise, I’ll make you eat your words.”

“Oooh I’m scared,” Minhwan continued to tease as he pursed his lips. “Whatever will I do when the one hundred pound detective comes after me? I hope his wrist doesn’t snap when he tries to punch me.”

Rolling his eyes at the remark, Seunghyun rolled up his sleeves and concluded their short, childlike bickering. “Oh we’ll see whose wrist snaps first,” he announced before pouncing onto the latter. It really was a Tom and Jerry-esque moment.

As the two continued their silly pitter-patter, Jaejin carelessly looked to Jonghun before looking at the back of the car. Never had there been a day when a car ride involving those two go smoothly. “Remind me exactly why again we had to bring them along?”

Lazed at the road and subsequent traffic before him, Jonghun replied nonchalantly, “Because Minhwan was the last one to see or talk to Hongki before his collapse. And given the little prank we pulled on Seunghyun, this is the safer way out.”

Tired at the chaos, Jaejin rubbed his temples, remarking, “I still don’t see the necessity.”

“You really need to relax a little, Jaejin. Your so uptight all the time.”

“I am not uptight. If anything, its your lack of control over your subordinates that irritates me.”

“Hey, hey don’t go pinning this on me. If anything, I enjoy this kind of chaos. Kinda makes me feel like we’re an impromptu family. You’re my wife and those two are my kids.”

“Crazy bastard.”

“Says the guy who has a stick shoved up his so high that the other end is visible when he opens his mouth,” Jonghun sang.

“Whatever,” Jaejin lazed as he averted his gaze outside the car window. “How much longer before we reach the hospital?”

“I’d say a good twenty minutes or so.”

“Well then you better shut your kids up, honey,” Jaejin cooed.

“Hey they’re your kids too,” Jonghun riposted defensively. “And I’m driving.”

“And I don’t care. You decided this road trip so you clean your own mess up,” Jaejin snapped.

“Fine,” Jonghun spat. Keeping one hand on the wheel, he instinctively reached into his inner vest before pulling out his gun. He then looked to the mirror and smiled to himself. Minhwan, like always, had Seunghyun in a headlock much to the latter’s discomfort. “Seunghyun. Minhwan. Stop it,” he whispered lowly before pulling the trigger.

 

BANG

 

Almost immediately, the chaos that had manifested in the rear end had dispelled and utter silence had settled in as all three detectives looked at Jonghun perplexedly and fearfully. “Did you just seriously fire your gun in a closed car?” Jaejin asked demandingly. “You could have killed someone. Don’t you know that bullets have a tendency to ricochet in closed, metal containers?”

“At least I got them to shut up. And for the record, my gun is empty. So quit your ing, honey.”

 

 

St. Francis Medical Center

Intensive Care Unit – East Wing Lobby

New York, New York

12:38 AM

Walking themselves off the much too small elevator, the four detectives toured around the lobby amusedly before making they’re way to the receptionist. It was a plain lobby, furnished with somewhat contemporary seats, tables, and synthetic flowers. The colors were warm, and sunlight was allowed free access by virtue of the large windows that overlooked the city. If anything, it was a lobby that tried to simulate happiness, which in turn, was ironic in its juxtaposition against one of the most morbid places on Earth.

“Hello. How may I help you today?” asked the receptionist in her scripted, false tone.

“Hello,” Jonghun replied as he flashed his badge. “The four of us are here to see the patient, Lee Hongki in Room 633–” Interrupted by a bump onto his shoulder, Jonghun look sharply to his left only to see a tall, lanky man clothed in a light gray coat. Inside he wore a beige vest accommodated by a simple button up shirt and blue trousers. Adjusting his glasses, the man apologized, “I’m sorry. Just got these prescription lenses today and I’m still getting used to them.”

“No problem. Just be mindful of where you’re going next time,” Jonghun replied kindly.

“Yeah. I’ll be on my way now,” he stated before whisking away towards the elevators, humming whimsically, “What a pain, what a pain, all this for a little gain.”

“What a strange guy,” Jonghun whispered as he nudged Jaejin playfully. “He makes Seunghyun and Minhwan almost seem normal.”

“Stop being so judgmental, Jonghun. Your not all normal yourself,” Jaein quipped.

“Whatever.” Reaverting his gaze to the receptionist, Jonghun continued, “I’m sorry about that. Like I said we’re here to visit Mr. Lee Hongki in Room 6331.”

“Sure thing,” she answered as she typed in some notes to her computer. She then printed out four stickers, and handed them to the party. “They’re visitor’s passes. Make sure your wearing them at all times, okay?”

Offering a curt nod, Jonghun distributed them amongst his cohort before placing his hands onto the main doors of the East Wing. Turning it slightly, he looked to enter but was stopped by a large announcement on the hospital mainframe.

 

CODE BLUE. ROOM 6331. CODE BLUE. ROOM 6331.

 

 

Sorry for the wait! Hope you enjoy! Remember to comment please!