3

That Punk Next Door

 

Somewhere between complaining to my speech-impaired hamster, and listening to a playlist full R&B and bands, I had calmed down. Just a teeny tiny bit.

 

I had always been told me when I was younger, I had a very short temper. It was cool; I accepted that. But my mother never did. My bad habbits included: nail biting, procrastinating, fidgeting, etc. Many of the things I seem to do a lot. Laying in my bed on a Saturday could not be more boring.

 

Ahlee had Saturday detentionbig surprise. Though, it was past three so maybe she’d be on the bus at this time. Three o’clock, I can recall, was a very special hour for me in fact. When Dad was with us, after my piano lessons, the depression I was once in before had completely diminished into nothing. I wanted to figure out how he’d done it. Where he adapted this calm nature. But I don’t feel like it yet. Its too...soon. This’s what happens when I’m alone and think. Who has time to mourn?

 

I flopped on my stomach and gave my hamster a good look. He blinked back at me, which I deemed the most adorable thing in the world. Our moment together turned into mashed potatoes. That familar sound tapped twice from the far side of my bedroom. A rock was thrown at my window. Sighing, I got up and set Momo in his cage and strolled casually to my curtain to shift it open.

 

Of course, the face of none other than my favorite punk stared back at me with ease.

 

Hair deshelved and clad in a leather jacket, those brown eyes were off. Jongin even had his book out ready. Had he just came home? Altogether he had to have gone out, his face showed his exhaustion. I tried not to show any of my feelings. You could say after my mental contemplation mode I had not been to happy.

 

You okay?’ the first had said. I thought about it. Really.

 

Fetching some looseleaf from my binder and scrambling for my black-ink pen, I wrote down: Nope.’ At least maybe he’ll get the message that I was not in the mood to deal with him. Alas, I was totally wrong.

 

Your skin is pretty dark’ this one I reread slowly in my head. It wasn’t the first time he’s said it to me. And I’ve constantly reminded him that he lives in the States now. He never seems to listen, though. Pity, unfortunely. I sighed then.

 

When I looked up again, Jongin had already held up, ‘Still tired?

 

And that’s when the punk- smirk appeared. My brain spiraled again from not seeing it in a while. Moreover, I was planning to potentially wiping it off his lips completely.

 

I had such pride in showing him my Nope’ again because it meant he had not reason to tease me this coming week in school. From across the street window, an emotion filled his eyes I could not quite grasp as to why it had been there in the first place. I decided to keep it to myself in the end.

 

The notepad revealed a ‘Too bad’ on it. Isn’t that weird. As my eyebrow went up in question, Jongin scribbled something more. He rose it up slowly, eyes piercing the windows to my soul. I could feel his gaze this time.

 

Your bed looks comfy’ it said. Knowing him, this could go on forever. It really could. All it took out of me was to shift the curtain and ignore him. The problem was, my hands only moved to write another note down. Was I playing along with his games? Could that be the only way he’d leave me alone for the time being?

 

I decided to push my luck. It is’ I tested. He wasn’t fazed, but boosted.

 

Must be cozy in there’. His smirk deepened if it were possible.

 

My anger triggered my emotions for only a mere second, but I it down and decided to play the good neighbor card. When I looked up in his face, nothing but seriousness spoke in return. Should I cooperate and send him back a message? What he was suggesting to be exact, I had no clue to figuring out.

 

Most people go with their extinct, right?

 

‘Then come over, neighbor’ I wrote confidently.