I SMILE

I SMILE

I SMILE

 

I tapped my fingers on the hard, wooden table while glancing outside the café window. It was raining heavily and my body felt colder as the temperature outside began to drop. Although the heater was , I still could feel the chill. I shifted my gaze towards the blank note pad in front of me before sighing. Mr. Kang would surely kill me tomorrow.

            There weren’t many people in the café. I blamed the rain for it. Outside, several people were running while covering their heads. Yeah, no one expected for this rain to come. Even weather forecast predicted that it would be sunny this whole day. . I cursed under my breath and abruptly stopped when I felt the gaze from the woman who sat beside my table on me. I turned to her before forcing a smile. The woman scoffed before turned her head away. Damn.

            My attention went back at the note pad. I was supposed to write a sketch for our drama class and the reasons for me joining this class were still a mystery. Since I could not dance or sing or even draw, so drama class was the last option I had. . My brain machine tried to think any profanities that existed in my vocabulary and I would love to throw those sweet words towards the person who elected me to be the script writer. Well, not that I had found that culprit yet. Maybe I needed to work on that first.

            I closed my tired eyes before sighing for the nth times. Funny and I didn’t associate very well. Where the hell I’m gonna find some funny stories to write?!  Again, the curses went to the people who suggested that the sketch should be a funny one. Ideas, where are you?!!

            My eyes snapped open when I heard the bell that was hung on top of the door rang. A man with an average height entered the café. What triggered my curiosity was that he was wearing an oversized jacket with wool hat, black sunglasses and mask to match with it. Wow, he must have a cold, a terrible one. I looked back at my note pad when I realized that I was staring at him for full two minutes (It was rude to stare, don’t you know that?). The man was busy brushing his clothes as that action would make his nearly drenched outfit became dry again. He’s funny.  

            I heard a yelp and lifted my head. In front of me, that guy was holding his leg while mumbling something that was definitely could not be understandable. I bet that he hit his leg on one of the tables. I closed the note pad and intended to watch this ridiculous guy (Well, I took back what I said before) when my eyes went wide when he tripped on the smooth floor right after that. This… This was the first time I saw someone so clumsy!

            He went to the counter but he didn’t order anything. He just stood there for five minutes and didn’t even say one single word. That was when it hit me that this guy was thinking on what to order. And the entire thing he ordered was a cup of iced cappuccino. He’s ridiculous funny.

He carried his tray carefully before choosing a table in front of me. That woman was long gone. And… He managed to knock his cup and the sea of coffee was forming on the table. Oh, my god. The waitress came and cleaned up the mess and that guy was non-stop apologizing. This was too funny for me to watch. The waitress carried his new order and the guy removed the mask that covered lower part of his face before sipping the cappuccino timidly.

            I chuckled and opened my note pad. This guy, this ridiculous funny guy sure gave me an inspiration and idea. I wrote the scene that was happened 15 minutes ago inside my note pad and mentally made a reminder to thank that guy when I became a famous script writer in the future. Ha..Ha..  

            I looked at the guy and realized that he was smiling at me. I gave him a smile back, a sincere one. I wrote my last sentence on the note pad before closing it and looked again at that man. He was taking his own picture with his cell phone and I laughed at the sight. He sure was a funny guy.

            I packed my things and stood up. I walked past him and gave him another smile before I made a dash towards the nearest bus stop. The rain stopped already and lots of water puddles were formed on streets. The sky became brighter and there were no more dark clouds could be seen. I stole one last glance at the guy who was still sitting at the window and boarded the bus.

 

 

            The next day, I was scrolling down my Facebook homepage when something posted by unknown person captured my eyes.

            “Super Junior Sungmin warmed his fans on a rainy day with a cup of cappuccino and a selca of himself. ‘Don’t catch a cold,’ was what tweeted by the singer.”

 

Wait, what?!!!