Scared to Death

Scared to Death

 

             It's been a rough day for the both of them. They have been arguing for the last 2 hours, and seemingly the argument doesn't come near it's end.

            "It's not like it's a big deal, Soorin", Doojoon explained as he stood from the couch, feeling irritated already.

            "It IS a big deal for me, Doojoon! Why didn't you tell me about that?" Soorin asked as she leveled with him.

            "Soorin, I am a pilot. I thought you understood." Doojoon tried to elaborate but Soorin would always interrupt.

            "What a lame excuse, Doojoon." She said with annoyance. "Tell me straightly, you're seeing someone else, aren't you?"

            "What the-"

            "You're dating a flight attendant? Or make out with some random passenger on the bin?"

            "Oh come on, Soorin. I'm not like that." Without a word, she got her bags form the table and stormed out of his apartment.

 

 

 ~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~

 

            Lying on her tummy as she drowned herself in her pillows, Soorin can't imagine that they had been fighting. She knew he was a pilot, he had to be away. But last time, he was away for what seemed like a year. Communication was rare and the only time they'd spend some time w/ each other was a maximum of 3 hours. How could she understand that now Doojoon was staying for three days but next he had to be away for God knows how long?

            Pouring himself a glass of wine, Doojoon was worried about Soorin. He knew he missed a lot about her for being away for so long. But he had to face reality. His job was demanding most of his time and he doesn't know how long he'd stay away. Though he tried to explain it to her, but he failed. "Why does it have to be like this?" he said to himself, sighing.

 

 ~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~

 

            One day, while Soorin was busy preparing her things for work, someone rang the doorbell. It was still 7AM, who could need her this early? "It couldn't be the water bills," she thought. She ran to the door and as she opened, she saw Doojoon-wearing his uniform with his cap on one hand and his luggage on the other. Though Doojoon looked really handsome with his uniform, the fact that he was wearing his uniform with his luggage on his hand was hurting her. He was leaving.. again.

            "Hi." Doojoon started, his mind thinking of the exact words to say. "I'm just passing by to say I'm going now."

            Soorin could feel her tears slowly forming in her eyes. But she had to be strong. "I know." She said, as if she didn't feel anything.

            Doojoon was apparently lost for words, but his mouth just said: "Look I'm sorry about yesterday. I just thought, you'd understand... But one thing's for sure, I'm not seeing nor have I dated anyone but you."

            "Yeah, right." Soorin didn't seem to be bothered. Instead she turned her back at him. But just as she was about to close the door, Doojoon spoke. "I may be away, but I will always be beside you. I'm not going anywhere but be with you. If I come back, you'll be the first to know." Soorin only rolled her eyes closed the door at him. But as she closed the door, tears started flowing from her eyes. "Oh come on, Soorin. You know better than this." she said to herself although she knew that she was already hurting inside. Hoping to see Doojoon for one last time, she peeked through the curtains of a nearby window and saw him boarding a bus, looking back at her house until the door closed. Silently, Soorin broke down to tears, holding her chest with her heart aching. "I'll miss you," she said tearfully.

            Later that night, Soorin got home from work and as she prepared a big bowl of salad and ramyeon, her phone rang and saw Doojoon's number. Her face glowed at the sight of his name on her phone and without any hesitation, she answered it. "Yeoboseyo?" she said.

            "Hi Mine." Doojoon's voice was so relieving. She was supposed to respond but Doojoon cut her in. "I'm taking this chance to tell you this, at least the signal isn't that faulty yet. I'm sorry if I had had been insensitive. Geez, Mine. I miss you already. How I wish I could hold you right now. Hug you until you choke. But now I can't." his voice was quite shaky on the other line, but he controlled his feelings like a pro. "I just want you to know that I love you. Mine, I love you. Mine, I love you..." and he kept on repeating these words until he said he had to go. But Soorin had gone mute.

            Soorin wanted to say something but words failed her. She thought that it might be better if she called him as soon as his plane lands wherever he may be. Feeling relieved, she strut towards the living room and maybe get along the headlines of the day. The news was mostly of the usuals: Politics, business, showbiz, and even more politics. She tuned in to her favorite music show as she munched on the salad she made. Until the late news headlines got her attention.

            "Just now, a plane crash was sighted on the east side of the Busan..."

            Plane crash? What the hell? She held onto her seat as she watched the news.

            "The crash victims included 200 wounded and 81 dead including 3 flight attendants and the assistant pilot Lieutenant Yoon Doojoon whose body is still missing from the crash site..." Soorin was dumfounded - she couldn't think and she didn't know exactly what to feel. She was lost.

            It took her moments, no, minutes to actually decipher all she heard a while ago.. Then suddenly, Doojoon's voice came ringing into her mind. "Mine, I love you.." these words made her cry, her heart crushed into pieces. Hurt was eating her all up as if eating her alive. Yesterday, she and Doojoon had some kind of misunderstanding. But because of her stupid pride, she was head strong on making him feel bad just this morning. To the mere fact that she didn't have the chance to tell him she loves him too made her realize that she was wrong all along. Instead of forgiving him, she was cold. She blamed herself for taking on her stupid pride than doing what's right. But now he's gone. She's too late.

 

 ~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~

 

            It has been days since the government started its search and retrieval operations for Doojoon's body, and all Soorin did was to wait, pray, and hope that even with the sight of his body, no matter what the state is, everything will be alright. She was still in the process of coping up her loss. Her friends and family were always there to support her in everything she needs most especially in this time. Every day without fail, she'd go to Doojoon's house and be with his parents just to make sure they're alright.

            And just this morning, the rain came in torrents. She was drinking coffee and seemingly the rain, though strong, was very inviting. She used to go under the pouring to enjoy, and this time, she wanted to ease her pain inside, the pain that made her cringe in tears every night in her sleep. Her tears may have dried up, but not the pain in her heart. The moment she went out of the house, she looked around if there were people who might watch her. She became a public figure thanks to the media people who wanted some comments of Doojoon being gone.

            The thought of Doojoon made her go forward and face the rain. And as the rain fell, her tears started falling. She looked up to the sky, thinking that he might be there already. "Yah! Yoon Doojoon!" she said. Are you happy now? Are you contented now? No more Kim Soorin hitting you or calling you KERMIT THE FROG for no reason? Tell me, Doojoon! Tell me!.. Because I miss you. I miss you a lot already.." and she felt a pair of arms  encircle her waist. Although she felt it, she ignored it and continued her doing. "Why are you doing this to me? You should have just kissed me that morning! Or maybe you should have me!... But no. Instead you walked away. And damn you, Doojoonie! Are you so freaking GAY? And because of you acting like a broken record, I didn't have the chance to say I'm sorry! I didn't have the chance to say I love you too!! Yes Doojoonie! I LOVE YOU TOO!! I LOVE YOU, REMEMBER THAT YOU MIDDLE-AGED DERANGED FROG! I hope God has a Lily pond for you to laze around! AND DON’T YOU DARE DATE OTHER GIRLS THERE COZ I’M THE ONLY MISS PIGGY YOU HAVE!" Soorin may have joked around but for her it was a message of finally accepting that he was gone. She knew that there was a pair of arms encircling her but it seemed to have tightened its hold on her. "Why did you have to leave me, Doojoon. Why?.." she sobbed.

             "I'm just here.." a whisper came to her ears and surprised her. She held down her arms and her hands felt a pair of real arms around her. She turned around and it gave her the greatest shock of her life. Doojoon was right there.

            "Doojoon, are you real? Is it really you?" Soorin asked, looking at him, her tears still falling amidst the rain.

            "Like I said, I'm always here beside you. And when I come back, you'll be the first to know. I know you're scared, but please don't be. It's me." he replied smilingly at her.

            "I'm not scared. I'm just--" Soorin was cut her off as Doojoon pulled her closer to him and kissed her on the lips. Surprised, Soorin didn't know what to do or feel. But without any hesitation she responded to the kiss. There, she knew he was home. She knew he was back. Then all of a sudden their sweet moment was interrupted by Soorin's phone that was ringing form inside the house. Although she didn't want to let her go, she had to. Looking at his eyes, she said to him, "That might be important. Come inside, it's pouring out here." And Doojoon only smiled and went inside.

            "Yeoboseyo?," she said as she answered.

            "Soorin," it was her dad.

            "Appa, what's the matter?" but before she could finish her sentence, her dad cut her: "Soorin, Doojoon's home. His body was found somewhere far from the crash site and honestly I didn't expect this would happen."

             Soorin was confused. "Dad, what are you talking about?" she said as she ran towards the door to find him. "Doojoon is just-" but before she could continue, Doojoon wasn't there anymore. She went out of the door and as she looked at the small coffee table at the side, she found a note with words written:

"I will always be here. Mine, I love you... Doojoon"

            With that, Soorin cried. Doojoon was gone. Already gone. The Doojoon she saw moments ago was like his last. The feel of his lips on hers was there.. But now, there were no regrets - only more love. With a smile, she said.. "I'm not scared. Not anymore.."

 

 ~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~END~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~

 

 ~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~ comments are loved :) ~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~