Siren's Song

Voici Les Fleurs-Permenant Hiatus

"Taemin! I'm leaving now! If you you want to come to the market with me you better hurry up!" Kibum shouted from the window to his younger brother whom was hiding out somewhere in the fields.

House wasn't the best word to describe their living space. It stood somewhere between a shack and a barn. Sadly, this was the average lodging for most workers. They could afford no more since the drought three years ago took away their poor, old father and the country's crops. Before then even, their mother simply vanished.Even so, the two boys were trying their hardest to survive without parents.(They still had no idea where their mother was, yet Key, at least, had a rousing suspicion of what happened.) There was no family to claim them. So Kibum did what he could and manage to maintain their small patch of land and shabby living quarter. It wasn't much, but the roof over their heads helped protect from the sandy, dry summers, and the dry crops brought enough to feed them and a little extra to sell or trade for more seeds. They would get by somehow.

"Taemin!"

"Coming Key!" Taemin ran into the house through opening in the back wall that probably should have had a door in it.

Key turned and grabbed his younger brother, holding him at arm's length.

"Why must you be so beautiful?" Key sighed with tears in his eyes.

“Brother..." Taemin whined, squirming in Key's grip. Huffing at the common remark.

In all honesty, Taemin had to say that Key was the beautiful one. Especially when they were younger. Key had always been thin and delicate looking, almost womanly. He had rare pale skin which few of their people possessed. All the better, he had beautiful blondish hair that shone in the scorching sun. His eyes always had a sparkle in them and his smile could rival the queen’s. But then, it all changed. Maybe it was after their mother disappeared. That one traumatic event took a toll on the family. Key, being the oldest, began to care for Taemin and their father. However, all the work that Key had suddenly took upon himself affected his radiance.

“Put your wrap on and we can go, Taemin.” Key pointed at the thick, brown fabric head-cover that lay atop their distressed table.

Taemin sighed and trudged over to the table, taking the dingy cloth and covering his auburn locks with it.

“Better?” Taemin sighed, stuffing the edges of the cloth into the neck of his shirt and prepared for the sweat to come.

“You know I wish you didn’t have to Minnie,” Key smiled sadly and tucked away a strand of hair into the hood, fussing over him like a mother would, “I’m just trying to protect you. Especially after mother…”

“I know, Key.” Taemin smiled sadly from beneath the fabric.

 

"Let's go," Kibum gave the younger one last hug before fitting his own cover on and pulling Taemin out the door.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The two young men walked beneath the overbearing sun on dry, cracked earth. Vivid colors danced around the two from stalls lining thevroad. Scents of smoke and spices and the call of merchants wafted through the stale air. People rushed to and fro, pushing past Kibum and Taemin. Key held onto his brother’s hand and guided him through the crowds. He pulled the younger through the market passing by many carts and tents, quietly scolding Taemin to hold onto his headscarf. Key cautiously pulled Taemin over to a dilapidated, driftwood ox cart. Two grey-brown donkeys were tied to the cart, panting slightly in the miniscule shadow of their cargo. A shriveled-up, old woman sat on the driver chair of the cart. Behind her, in dusty crates in the cart, were various seed pots and stringy vegetables.

“Grandmother, what seeds do you carry with you?” Key smiled kindly to the elderly woman, pulling Taemin to bow with him.

“They be the same as last season, “she replied in a raspy voice, “This infernal drought destroyed the season’s harvest and what did survive was taken by the…” the woman suddenly stooped over and whispered, “All the good stuff taken by that glutinous king.”

"We live in the desert, dear grandmother! Should our crops not be accustomed to this irrational heat" Key questioned the woman with a rare eloquence that normally pertained to only the rich..

"Been hotter and no rain, it seems as if king has taken the beauty of the land too," she whispered as a soldier walked past.

"Then I shall save my money for bread and drink. I’ll wait to buy more hardy crops."

"Wise choice, here. Take  seed I saved from dragon's jaws myself. May it bless you in this dark time, I don't have much left it in." she handed Key a tawny, tear shaped seed. He quickly hid it in his pocket and thanked the woman.

"May your business be favorable and your days blessed," Key bowed again and continued with his errands.

Taemin followed obediently, continuing to a tent filled with glass bottles filled with different colored liquids. Key started to haggle with the wiry, old man shouting off his goods. Taemin simply stood beside his brother, looking around the market in awe. Suddenly, the wind blew the most intriguing scent towards the boy: the scent of flowers.

 

Taemin turned his head towards the wind and inhaled the tempting scent. Flowers, their scents were so different than the fruit and vegetable blossoms grown in their patch of field. The aroma was so exotic and intoxicating. He could not help but follow it to its source. Quietly stepping away from Kibum (whom was too busy arguing over prices with the wiry man), Taemin skirted through the crowds following that enticing smell. Soon the crowds thinned, and the people and tents grew more lavish and refined. Then the hidden beauty found the source of the smell. It was a lavish tent made by cloths of various colors draped over internal wooden structures. Flowers of all shapes and sizes sat in vases and pots outside and inside of the tent. Taemin was captivated.

 “Why hello there child. Do you like the flowers?” A matured woman smiled warmly to Taemin, kind wrinkles beckoning him closer.

Taemin could only nod in response. The flowers were like sirens, calling him in with their sweet scents.

 The woman laughed,"Feel free to look and sniff, please don't touch. I'm sorry, but I must attend to a very important customer at the moment."

The woman turned away from Taemin with a swish of a long black ponytail. She walked through a purple viel and Taemin made out the silhouette of another person standing in the adjacent area. The customer nodded towards the woman and followed her into another area.Taemin could see a glint of bright armor and short, dark-brown hair through the curtain. For some reason, Taemin found himself curious of this man. He began to follow the man when he heard his brother calling his name. Feeling guilty for abandoning his brother, Taemin quickly rushed away from the tent only to run into and unsuspecting bystander.

"Oof!" Taemin hit the ground causing his headscarf to slip off his head.

"Oh! I'm sorry! oh dear...." a man with round features pulled Taemin up from the ground," I'm very sorry, I’ve been told that my eyes and my arms don't follow the same direction.” The man smiled kindly, eyes crinkling up in the corners.

“Ah, that’s fine. Sorry but I have to-” Taemin started to back away while speaking, but he was surprisingly grabbed by the man.

“Oh my…” The man pulled Taemin closer, “You are almost as beautiful as the flowers in the young master’s gardens. Tell me child, what is your name?”

“I-I I’m sorry! But I really must go!” Taemin tried to pull away from the man, hearing his brother’s calls in the distance.

“What? No, you-“The man began but was cut off by a harsh pull from his back.

“Jinki! You worthless servant! You were sent to get the majesty's special tea when the sun rose! What’s taking you so long?” A large gruesome man in bronze armor spat at Jinki.

"S-sorry s-s-soldier, I-I r-ran i-into s-s-someone..." Jinki stuttered, glancing over to Taemin.

“Quit with that incessant stuttering fool!” The soldier raised the back of his hand towards Jinki, ready to strike.

“Don’t hit him!” Taemin suddenly shouted, catching the soldier’s attention.

The soldier stopped his hand in mid-strike before turning to face Taemin, “Who dare defy-” However the soldier coked on his words when his eyes fell on Taemin, “My, my, what do we have here? A little flower, standing against the weed pullers? Hmm, I think the king has planted this breed before.” The soldier smiled ominously and advanced towards the beauty.

“I’ll have you know I'm a boy!" Taemin growled, backpedalling away from the man. He feverishly yanked at his head scarf to reposition ot over his head and turned to run only to be grabbed by the brute soldier. Taemin kicked and screamed, scraping at the man’s metal covered arms.

"HELP! HELP! BROTHER HELP!" Taemin screamed, drawing the attention of the people around them.

"Hey! Quiet down kid!" the soldier held tighter.

"HELP! KEY! KEY HELP ME!" Taemin screamed bloody murder, messy headscarf coming loose again.

"Taemin!" Key answered the desperate cries of his brother. The elder pushed through the crowds and reached out to grab Taemin but was held back by another soldier.

"KEY!" Taemin struggled even more seeing his brother held back.

"LET GO OF ME YOU METAL DUST BUCKETS! THAT'S MY BROTHER! LET GO OF HIM!" Key surged forward breaking from the soldier's grasp.

The man holding Taemin threw the boy to the ground and rushed at Key. He grabbed Key, tossing him over his shoulder before throwing him at the feet of the other soldier. Kibum hit the ground harshly, coughing and wheezing.

"KEY!" Taemin tried to run to his brother but the brute soldier grabbed him again and held him back.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!" a man with dark wavy pulled back into a ponytail and shining silver armor emerged from the tent, the flower vender right behind him.

The soldier holding Taemin froze, while the one hovering over Key saluted.

"Soldier, what are you doing?" the man walked strode up to the soldier and Taemin.

The soldier's grip tightened on Taemin,"This boy is causing the scene, sire."

“The only disturbance I saw was the one you created," The man frowned.

“But, sire. This boy, is he not the most beautiful creature you have seen?”  The soldier stuttered.

The man's dark brows knit together in confusion. He stooped over to inspect Taemin’s face. Taemin blushed and tried to hide in the cover of his long auburn hair," Yes, I suppose he is. What of it?"

"Sir, the law states-"

“And, said law only applies if the royal family wishes to keep him, and I’d say to leave him be,” The man growled.

“But Prince Minho-“the soldier tried to argue.

“Prince!?”Taemin squeaked.

“Let him go,” the price ordered.

The soldier reluctantly let go of Taemin and stepped back. “My apologies, your highness.”

Suddenly a racket sounded from the crowd. People yelled and screamed as they dodged around a golden carriage pulled by four stunning white horses covered in gold ornaments matching that of the carriage. It pulled to a stop by the scene. Dust pooled around the crowds ankles and floated ominously in the air. The driver of the carriage jumped down from his high chair. He wore a loose white blousse with long sleeves and tight wrists. A dual toned green sash was pined across his left shoulder to right hip where his shirt tucked into calf-length brown pants. He ran in his leather moccasins to the back of the carriage and pulled out a roll of luscious red carpet. He rolled it from the door of the carriage to its end. Then he ran back to the door and opened it. A squire hopped out wearing the same clothes as the coach driver save for a green vest replaced the sash. The squire pulled a horn from his side and blew into it.

" All bow for the great, merciful king!" He shouted as if anyone could have been mistaken by the outrageous display or wealth.

Then a large man stepped out from the carrier. It rocked back as his weight left it's wheels. He stepped onto the carpet with his head held high. A large crown burdened his fat head, large crystals imbedded into the metal. A long green cape adorned his shoulders; the underside shone in gold. He wore no armor except for an impressive chest peace decorated with an embossed mountain lion head, growling menacingly.

 " Your highness!"

 The soldiers and people bowed as the King made his way down the red carpet (lol I couldn't help it). People planted their faces into the dust as the king walked by and the soldiers forced their captives to do the same.  The only person left standing was the Prince Minho (whom was glaring at his father with a clenched jaw).

" Why must I, a very busy King, come down to this disgusting, dusty cesspool to get a simple tea? First I send my personal server, dearest Jinki, and then a soldier to collect the man. Yet, I am here?" The King spoke slowly as he walked toward the group. 

" What now, should I ask, is the hold up?" The king's voice was slow and even.  His eyes betrayed the sound of his soothing voice.

" Your majesty, we found something that should belong to you!" The soldier over Taemin jerked the boy onto his feet.

"Yes sire! This one too," the other soldier lifted Key and ripped off his head scarf.

The king turned to the two boys and lifted an eyebrow, clearly looking them over.

"A rare blonde,"he said walking up to Key and moved his head to various angles,"Hm...a little old and worn out don't you think?"

"Why you!" Key struggled against the soldier seething. 

 The king stepped away and frowned,"A temper too...get him out of my sight. I don't care how, just do it." 

The King waved the soldier away in a "shoo" motion before turning to Taemin. The soldier did as he was told and dragged Key away violently through the crowds. 

" KEY! NO! STOP, DONT HURT HIM! KEY!"Taemin struggled in the grip of his own captor, yelling furiously for his brother with tears in his eyes.

" Hm, now here we have a wonderful specimen," the king stood before Taemin whom cowered away.

"Beautiful skin," he spoke reverently as he trailed a finger up Taemin’s neck to his face,"Nice features but this, this is the best part."

The King reached up and took a handful of Taemin's hair and twisted through his fingers, "Never have I seen such a color."

" Father,"Minho spoke with a threat hanging in his voice.

" Oh hush boy, "the king snapped,"Don't get jealous now. You may have found him but I claim him under the law."

Minho tensed at the statement and his body went rigid,"Father, do you really need more? Can you not leave one family intact? "

" QUIET! I AM THE KING AND YOU WILL DO AS I SAY!" the king below ed at his son,"I claim him and so he will be mine! Take him to the palace!"

 With that the king turned away and stalked to his carriage and climbed in, not waiting for his squire to return before ordering the coach driver to make for the palace. Leaving Taemin with his men.