Knight in shining armor no more

Sincerely, The End

 

 

            Somewhere between the loud, overbearing noise people called music these days and the stench of alcohol, smoke and all things impure, the thought of home crossed my mind. It must have been at least a few hours since I sneaked out of home, past the supervision of my overprotective brother, to grab a drink. Technically. I did come with a mindset of just having a shot or two but somehow I gate crashed on an old friend's coming-of-age celebration. It was rude to refuse the drinks, so I drank. I didn’t know how many glass I have downed before the pounding in my head became too painful to handle.

 

            I was drunk. It was the only explanation I could find for myself when I pressed the first number on my speed dial. My mind was hazy, judgments clouded. If I was any more sober, I would have stopped myself. But I wasn’t. He didn’t answer the first time. Nor the second or third. But I was drunk and being drunk meant anything but rational. I tapped again and again, with a persistent that didn't exist with my sober self. I knew no shame. I waited, and smelt hope when I got past the first few rings. I heard a soft click, and I knew I won. Victory never felt any better.

 

            “Kyungsoo, take me home. It’s so loud here and my head hurts. I want to go home,” I whined like a little child who was deprived of her favorite thing in the world. The child might have wanted the moon or the sun but my request was much simpler. I only wanted my Kyungsoo, my sweet and lovable boyfriend who also loved me. We loved each other, didn’t we? I was thinking incoherent thoughts again. Being deprived of him did things to me. I needed to hear his voice. “Kyungsoo?” There was an almost hesitant silence, then another click.

 

            There must have been a problem. His battery must have died. Or a technical glitch happened. Anything was more reasonable then accepting the fact that he had hung up on me. It wasn’t even a possible thought! The kind and gentle Kyungsoo would never abandon me when I needed him the most. He was my knight in shining armor. He was always there for me and would be. He must be racing over right now, worried to death about me.

 

            He was my hero and for that reason, I must play the part of a damsel in distress. It wasn’t so hard, being a victim under such lewd situations. I didn’t particularly enjoyed being d but right now, it didn’t seem like much of a chore. Because everything would turn out worthwhile. So I let the mysterious stranger touched me. To his credit, he didn’t touch any place inappropriate, not by my standards at least. His hands were firm on my waist and he pulled me close. We were both pretending to be dancing, swaying to the music but really, we were just feeling each other up. Getting under each other's skins.

 

            It was as if the entire world was playing according to the script in my head. It didn’t even take long for him to pull the confused stranger away from me. I couldn’t recognize him past his dark silhouette but who else could it be if not him? He was the only one capable of rescuing me. Before the stranger could protest, he grabbed my hand and dragged me outside. His grip was strong, not at all like the gentle Kyungsoo that I knew and loved, but this was a side of him that I adored. He was jealous. How cute. I quickly threw a smile across my shoulder to the stranger, who had so kindly played his part.

 

            The harsh light of the spotlights fixed on the wall of the club immediately halted my fantasy, ended it so abruptly I had no idea how to manage the situation. My mind failed to compute. I didn’t know whether to be mad or to be sad. Perhaps the pressure finally slipped past the cracks in my sanity, and I let out a hearty laughter. The nonsensical situation felt so ridiculous, it was hard not to laugh. How did Kyungsoo transformed into my brother?

 

            “Magic?” Kyungsoo–or was it Kai now?–narrowed his eyes at me, his eyebrows knitted together in a not-unattractive pattern. “I think I’m drunk. . .” As if the word drunk was a taboo word, the male in front of me snapped, as if someone had challenged his limits of tolerance. “Are you insane, or do you have no shame? I told you not to drink anymore or hang out at the bar! Not only did you conveniently overlook my warnings, you actually called that good-for-nothing bastard! I understand that he broke your heart, but did he break your mind as well?”

 

            I didn't know why, but I just did. I cried, letting open the tear gates, allowing them to trail down my cheek with no reservation. I feel like I was transported back to the time when I was still a young girl, when Kai scolded me for running and falling. Back then it was just scrapped knees. Right now what I have was a heart that was broken beyond repair. “He didn’t come?” I asked, hurt. I genuinely thought he would come, even if he was just feeling sympathetic to an ex-girlfriend. I heard a sigh, and a pair of lean, strong arms holding me tight. "Kai, why does it hurt so much?"