A Quarter Nearer

A Quarter Nearer

 

Temperature dived down to nine degree celsius in California that clear night. Taking it as a chance that it was not freezing, he decided to take a stroll to the supermarket for some grocery shopping. Cars zoomed by, occasionally accompanied with loud booming music; roads were painted with various headlight colours from the fast moving vehicles. Unfortunately, a slight wind breeze hit him and it was a little too cold for his liking as the brunette was only clad in a pair of skin-tight jeans and a jacket with a hood. Quickening his pace, the boy marched down the dimly lit streets before coming to a halt in front of K mart situated beside a petrol gas station. To his relief, the supermarket was less crowded than it was in the morning. With a swift, he grabbed a trolley near the entrance and manoeuvred it into the huge storage place of necessities to start off the night.

 

Walking along the aisles of never ending food shelves, he entered various sections to grab all the supplies of food needed for the next week. Cereals, pasta sauce, HTL milk, dog food cheap Starbucks ice cream and Ben & Jerry’s piled up in the trolley as he was ready for check out. Seeing that counter 9 was the only counter left as it was late, he pushed the trolley unwillingly to a grumpy old cashier and waited for his turn to pay. He always tried to avoid her as much as possible, since she was not very polite. Each item went through the scanner quickly causing the price indicator to increase rapidly, stopping at $95.25 at last.

 

“That would be 95 dollars and a quarter, sir” the cashier said nonchalantly. Fumbling with his wallet, he took out a 50 dollar bill, two 20 dollar and a 5 for the cashier, however that was all he had and now he was short of a quarter.

 

“Damn!” he whispered as he felt the stare from the woman as he unsuccessfully tried to dig a quarter out of his wallet.

“I’m so sorry... but I’m short of a quarter here madam” he muttered out unwillingly, cursing as to why he did not have enough cash on him. The grumpy woman eyed him annoyingly and was about to open when some guy from behind interrupted the situation.

 

“Here you go, a quarter for you” he said as the stranger handed the cashier the coin. He turned to the stranger and mumbled a ‘thanks’ because this guy just saved his from some grumpy cashier’s whining. The stranger had an expressionless face which looked kind of intimidating, however he nodded back. After the commotion, the stranger left as he only had a pack of cigarettes in hand, and he returned to his groceries bags grabbing it and exiting K Mart.

 

The walk home was much longer as the image of the stranger had not left his mind. How did he get that scar right below his eyes? Was he involved in some fight recently? Being someone who hardly updates himself with current news, he simply shook off the idea, and enjoyed the breeze with his hood up. Upon reaching home, he placed the dog food he got from the supermarket inside his neighbour’s mailbox; not forgetting the task that old man always asked him to do.

 

“I’m home!” he called out, which got a grunt in responds.

 

“I got what you wanted, your frutti loops”, he stated with an amused face and proceeded to the kitchen to pour himself some water.

 

“Frutti loops are the best with the correct amount of milk, I don’t see why you do not like them!” the black hair guy whined.

 

“No I don’t want to! And please give me back my money! A stranger paid a quarter for me just now just because I didn’t have enough....” he rolled his eyes while trying to explain his situation earlier on to his brother.

 

 

“It’s 1:56am right now, an ungodly hour for a normal person to visit the supermarket, looks like you’re in luck!” his brother exclaimed. Decided that the quarter guy did not matter much, he turned to the wall clock with bloodshot eyes and realised how late it was indeed. The brunette then decided to head to bed, leaving his brother who was about to pour himself some fruit loops in the kitchen alone.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: Very impromtu decision to write this just this evening. I'm a little too excited to see SJ soon. You can try guessing who is who in this chapter~~~~ (havent edit it yet hope it's fine)