Chapter 7

Punishment

 

Yoona's POV

With trembling hands, I walked inside the house, clenching tightly on my bag straps. Deep breaths Yoona. It wasn't your fault he died. He was just too sensitive. It was hard to avoid seeing Gyuwon around the house. She's been taking days off school and has been spending her days swinging slowly on the swing in the front yard, staring blankly. 

"Do you know what you've done?" Gyuwon meekly whispered, but it was loud enough to pound through my ears.

She rocked gently on the chair, holding Jihoo's favourite book, cuddled in one of Jihoo's jackets. 

"Let it go." I said, my voice wobbling.

"Murderers should be punished, shouldn't they?" she said, placing the book in her lap.

"I-I-I didn't think he would really do it!" I defended.

"Murderers should be punished, shouldn't they?"she repeated, slapping on a wry smile and walked back to her room.

Her words were penetrating into my thoughts. Shaking away the thoughts, I changed into comfortable clothes and jogged down the stairs. I looked into the crack of Gyuwon's room to see her sitting on the edge of her bed, staring into space before her gaze quickly turned to me. I quickly raced off to the T.V.

----

Your POV

After Jihoo's death, my father began inviting me to eat at the table. He was worried about me, more like worried about what I would do to Yoona. 

"S-so, how was your day, Gyuwon?" my dad stuttered.

I looked at him and looked back at my plate of food. He's been scared for the past week, terrified that Yoona really did do something to Jihoo. 

"Did you want some?" step-mother asked Yoona, holding the knife, ready to slice the roast lamb. 

Yoona's eyes widened and dropped her cutleries.

----

Yoona's POV

I walked inside the house and checked to see if anyone is home. 

"Oppa" I called, trying to find Jihoo.

"What's up?" Jihoo askded.

"Don't you feel grateful that I allowed you and Gyuwon to still stay here?" I asked, sitting on the chair across him.

"This house does technically belong to us too." he said.

"It's such a pity that you abuse this kind of fortune." I sighed, looking at my nails, "I mean, I don't mind you staying here, but your sister, she shouldn't be stealing someone else's boyfriend, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, I don't think he knows he's your boyfriend though." he retorted.

"How dare you!" I screamed but calmed myself down, "I'm here to make a deal. It's either she leaves school, or you leave." I said.

"Why would I be involved in this?" 

"Because, if you leave, she leaves. Or unless you want me to do it myself." I said, holding the knife in my hand, letting the blade glisten.

I excused myself from the table and rushed back to my room quickly. 

"Murderers should be punished, shouldn't they?" I could hear Gyuwon whisper through the door. 

I opened the door quickly to see no one. Closing the door slowly, I slid down against it. What the hell have you done Yoona? 

---

Hoya's POV

Myungsoo was talking about race cars with the others again, while Woohyun was trying to tell them how he got a girl's new number. I sighed as I listened to music, waiting for the school bell, when my eyes got distracted. People were looking out of the classroom's window, staring at Gyuwon who looked like the walking dead. Her dark circles were visible and her eyes were puffy. With her hands in her pocket, she walked to her locker and began taking  her textbooks out. 

A couple of Yoona's friends came to create a ruckus, but she just gave them an empty stare. 

"Geez, what's with you?" they said and scurried off.

With her hair coverig her face, she walked into class. She slowed her pace as she neared our table, expecting a greeting from Myungsoo, but moved on when he stayed quiet. Her slight smile turned stiff and she went to her seat, quickly burrowing herself in a book. Over the past few days, there were ridiculous rumors about her. People were saying that she's being involved with the Yakuza gang, that she was too busy hanging with different guys every night that she didn't have the energy to go to school the next morning. But the worst one by far was that she was abusing Yoona, physically and verbally.

Yoona has been going around school, spreading useless rumors, covering the fact that she indirectly killed someone. 

After hearing the rumors, everyone seemed to have distanced themself from her. Anyone who interacted with her before denied knowing her. The news soon got to our group and Myungsoo and Woohyun had lost interest in her, both wanting to erase any detail left of them interacting with her. And unfortunately, I've started to be doing the same. 

----

Your POV

The teacher walked into class and called out the attendant list. Myungsoo was avoiding me and sitting in the few front rows beside a few girls, while a quiet guy was pushed to the back of the class to sit with me. He moved his chair as far as possible away from me and kept fixing his glasses, trying to not to communicate with me.

"Hey, I'm Gyuwon." I smiled, moving a little closer to him.

He looked away, pretending not to hear me.

"Gyuwon, are you bullying Minwoo?" the teacher asked, glaring at me.

The whole class turned around and looked at in a judgmental way.

"No ma'am!" I said, smiling.

"Glad to see you finally came back to class. Where were you all these days? Not a single call to the school was made." she said, fixing her glasses.

I thought father would do it, but then again, he was too busy with Yoona anyways. 

----

Myungsoo's POV

"I was at home, chillin'." she replied, swinging on her chair.

Tch, that idiot trying to act cool again?

"Detention after school Ms Lee." the teacher said, looking back at the attendance list.

"Why?" she asked.

"Until you give me a reasonable answer, you'll have to attend detention every day for the rest of the week."

"Ma'am! I was not present at school as I wished to avoid having to wake up early to see your ugly face!" she said, standing up and everyone laughed, except the teacher.

"I would like to speak to your parents."

"Ma'am, I don't think my parents would like to have to wake up early to see your ugly face either!"

The teacher gripped the pen and moved on with the attendance list. I turned around to see her smiling as if something great had happened.

----

Your POV

I figured something was wrong after the class gave me weird looks.

"Yah, Minwoo, what did people talk about when I wasn't here?" I asked, leaning closer towards him.

"People sure are creative." I smiled after hearing his timid explanation and packed away my stuff when class was over. 

I guess Minwoo wasn't lying. Everyone literally avoided me. The girl that I occassionally talk to in biology seemed to have forgotten about my existence, and everyone who ever talked to me ignored me completely. I sighed, wearing my bag and walked out of the school gates. No one said hi, not even Hoya. 

I sat at the bus stop, watching my dad's car drive past with Yoona inside.

----

Hoya's POV

"I thought they were sisters, how come her dad doesn't take both of them home?"

"Well she is the child that ruined his family." "Oh, yeah, I feel sorry for Yoona, it must be hard for her to accept Gyuwon."

The students at the bus stop looked over at Gyuwon in disgust and continued bad mouthing her. Instead of doing anything, I just turned my music up louder, pretending that I couldn't hear anything.

-----

Your POV

The bus arrived and the students shoved to get a seat on the bus. I looked at my watch and sighed. Another half an hour before I can get home. Although the secret of Yoona and I being sisters was already revealed, I still came home later than Yooona, I guess it's just a routine now. Hoya hesitated to get on the bus but got on anyways. 

I could really use some company right now, but I understand why he's avoiding me, it's hard to build up such a high reputation to then be thrown downhill just because you hang out with the outsider in school. 

I clenched on my bagstraps as I walked home. The sun was setting and the sky was darkening. I sat down on the curb for a while to relax a little. I gazed at the stars, being lost in them without realizing.

"Should you really be out this late?" someone asked, tapping my shoulder.

Hoya smiled at me and sat beside me.

"I'm sorry I didn't say anything before." he confessed.

I stayed quiet, not sure how to respond.

"It must be hard on you, having to deal with Jihoo's de...um, yeah, and having to deal with Yoona too." he muttered.

"It's okay." I smiled at him.

"If you need anything, I'm just a call away!" he said, being the positive him again.

Walking me home, he talked about the various tests and homework I missed out and how he wished he got to get days off as well.

"I better go home now, bye!" he said and ran off quickly.

I smiled and opened the front gate. Closing it behind, I sighed, hearing the booming sound of insults radiating from inside the house.

"We can't have a murderer in our house!" step-mother yelled.

Finally, she realised what an her daughter is.

"I don't think Gyuwon would have done something like that." father said softly.

"Well why would Yoona do it? Gyuwon obviously wanted your attention. She's just as devious as her mother." step-mother said.

"I guess you're right.." father said, reconsidering his thoughts.

I opened the door and walked in, leaving a trail of silence behind me.

"So what did I miss out?" I asked, smiling at them.

Step-mother was sitting in an awkward position and father had a worn-out expression.

"Gyuwon, the punishment wouldn't be so bad if you turned yourself in." father explained.

"Turn myself in for what?" I asked, sitting on the couch.

"Just get to the point with her. Someone this dense obviously wouldn't understand anything if you keep beating around the bushes." step-mother said.

"Well, Gyuwon, we thought that maybe.."

"That maybe you were the one that killed Jihoo." step-mother said bluntly.

"Why would I do that?" I asked.

----

Yoona's POV

"Why wouldn't you? People like you would do anything for attention." mother said.

"Yoona, do you think I killed Jihoo?" she asked, her expression changed to back to her blank stare, but her cracked lips smiled wryly.

I looked away, nodding quickly.

"Murderers should be punished, shouldn't they?" she asked, standing up and stretching.

"Yes, murderers like you, should be punished." step-mother said.

"You should shut it before you become my next victim." she said, laughing psychotically.

My mother, being a short tempered person who does things without thinking twice about it, slapped Gyuwon. She turned to face my mother with her blank eyes and held tightly onto my mother's hair.

"Don't lay your dirty hands on me." she taunted, earning a slap from father.

"What, are you offended that your daughter threatened the woman you cheated with on your wife?" she asked, laughing.

Father's hand balled into fists so tight that his knuckles turned white.

"Tch, bunch of pathetics." she said and walked to her room.

----

Your POV

As the door closed, my tears escaped rapidly. The tears were flowing but I stayed quiet. My eyes were crying but I didn't feel the pain, I just felt empty. Jihoo should be here, comforting me right now, wouldn't he?

----

Yoona's POV

"Go call Gyuwon to wake up." father ordered me first thing in the morning.

"Gyuwon, get up!" I yelled from the kitchen a few times but no one replied.

She's probably getting dressed or just doing last minute homework. It was almost time to go and she still hasn't got out of her room yet. I walked slowly to her room and carefully turned the knob. A sigh of relief escaped when I saw no one inside. I looked around the house and saw no traces of Gyuwon at all. 

"Gyuwon's gone." i said, rushing out to the kitchen.

"She's probably trying to get attention again." mother said, packing my lunch.

I clenched the note in my hand, not sure if I should show it to my parents or not.

----

a/n: ey, boring as chapter, and i promise to not change the title anymore. i'm just going to leave it as is, even if it doesn't relate to the story >< and also because roh ji hoon is amazing <3