Memórias

Memórias

 

Smiling softly to herself, her eyes never once leave the photo she’s holding in her hand right now. The photo of her and a handsome young man, a few years ago.

 

She thought she had buried everything deep inside her.

 

But those memories just suddenly came back to her when she found this photo again in her storeroom.

 

“Umma!”

 

A little girl’s voice brought Hyosung out of her trance. Looking up, she saw her daughter skipping towards her.

 

By instinct, she tried to hide the photo but her daughter’s eyes were a little too fast for her.

 

“Who’s that umma?”

 

Silence.

 

“Umma?”

 

“Sarang ah, do you know ‘The Little Mermaid’?

 

Young Sarang blinked at her mother and then a cute little grin spreads across her little face.

 

“They lived happily ever after right?”

 

“No Sarang, not that one.”

 

“Then which one, umma?”

 

Hyosung smiled at her daughter and looked down at the photo in her hand again. With a soft smile on her face, she kept silence for a while.

 

“Umma?”

 

“Umma is going to tell you the story of ‘The Little Mermaid’ and its actual ending.” Hyosung hugged Sarang closer to her, who’s looking up at her mother with much interest.

 

“Once upon a time, under the deep blue ocean, there’s a beautiful kingdom of mermen or rather mermaids.”

 

Jeon Hyosung and Kim Himchan, they were never meant to meet. Just like the little mermaid and her prince, they were from two different worlds. But fate just loves to make fun of people.

 

They met.

 

Just like how the little mermaid and the prince met, Jeon Hyosung and Kim Himchan met on a rainy and stormy evening.

 

Hyosung was a waitress at the café and she had noticed the handsome man for the past few hours. Sure enough, he’s handsome and is definitely a good eye candy. But they’re closing the café and he needs to leave for her to be able to close the shop.

 

So she did the thing she had to do.

 

And that is the beginning of everything.

 

“Mister?” She tapped on the shoulder of the man who’s staring out at the wet window, “Mister? We’re closing.”

 

The man broke from his trance and turned to look at her. Looking around to see an empty café, he stood up and walked towards the entrance.

 

Following him, Hyosung made sure everything’s in place and locked up the place.

 

Holding onto her umbrella, just as she was about to leave, Hyosung noticed the handsome man’s still standing outside the café.

 

Unable to control her curiosity, the question popped out before her brain could stop her.

 

“Aren’t you leaving?”

 

The man turned to look at her, not giving her any answer.

 

For a moment, Hyosung felt a wash of sadness from him.

 

“Or do you not have umbrella? I don’t mind sharing though…” Her voice got softer, seeing that she’s not getting response from the man.

 

“I’m sorry, I will leave first.”

 

However, before she could really leave, a voice stopped her.

 

“Hey, do you think you have the time to accompany me?”

 

Their eyes made real contact for the first time ever.

 

“The little mermaid fell in love with the prince. And to get closer to him, she gave up her voice for her own pair of legs.”

 

Ever since that one contact, Jeon Hyosung and Kim Himchan got closer. She found out the reason why he was so lost the other day. He was feeling trapped by his family. Like a bird being locked up in a cage.

 

She listened to him.

 

They clicked.

 

And they fell in love, which was and still is the biggest mistake both of them had ever made.

 

Kim Himchan was the only son of one of the richest family in the country, engaged to the daughter of the Lee’s.

 

Whereas for Hyosung, she’s just a normal average girl, working part time for her own college money.

 

Being in this relationship, Hyosung lost her own voice. Her own voice to defend herself. People who don’t know anything, called her a , a materialistic girl, a home wrecker, a third party, all sort of ugly and hurtful names were thrown at her direction.

 

Both of them knew that nothing good is going to come out from their relationship but they held onto that little hope within their heart.

 

“However, the prince is going to marry another princess. The little mermaid will die. Her sisters gave up their hair in exchange for a knife to kill the prince. That was the only way for the little mermaid to gain back her tail”

 

They lost the fight.

 

The fight with his family; with the society.

 

He’s still getting married to the daughter of the Lee’s.

 

Himchan’s mother came to talk to her and her family. Her words were not harsh; it even sounded like she’s begging her. But Hyosung felt insulted at that moment.

 

For the Kim’s are trying to chase her away with money.

 

Money.

 

Is she really that materialistic girl in everybody’s eyes? Can’t anybody see the love she shared with Kim Himchan?

 

“It’s for your own happiness and his happiness.”

 

Mrs Kim had said.

 

“Take this money and break up with him.”

 

She didn’t reply.

 

“The little mermaid loves the prince too much. She can’t kill him. In the end, she jumped into the sea and dissolved into foams.”

 

She left him.

 

She left everyone, secretly.

 

She can’t take the money and break up with him like this. It’s an insult to him and herself. It’s an insult to their love.

 

Leaving secretly, away from this life, is the only choice she had.

 

Hyosung didn’t know whether if Himchan came looking for her or not. She doesn’t need to know that.

 

It’s a new beginning.

 

These memories she had, will be the diary she carries about with her. And it will be enough for her to move on.

 

Her tears flowing uncontrollably, Hyosung held onto her flat tummy and stepped into the airport.

 

Hyosung kept silent after the story.

 

How?

 

It was only a photo, why is she suddenly missing him so much when she had not done so for a few years already? Why is she feeling that sudden urge to cry?

 

“Umma?”

 

Young Sarang asked softly, catching the weird aura her mother is giving off.

 

Hyosung blinked and turned to her young daughter. Looking at her innocent face, she smiled.

 

No, she’s not going to miss him again.

 

No, she’s not going to cry again.

 

For now, she has this precious little Sarang by her side.

 

And it’s going to be the reason why she’s going to love him more. 


I'm sorry this is so late
I was lazy. But it's done now. Because today's the deadline
I hope you people could catch the little hint between the Little Mermaid and the HyoChan stories
Share with me your thoughts in your comments alright?
Thank you for all the subscribers too. I didn't expect 20 subscribers for just a short foreword posted for a oneshot.
thank you so much