Final

Bus Stop

 

I do not think she noticed me that day. I only say this because not once did she turn to look at me. Instead, her ear buds were pressed far into her ear lobes and her face was turned into a slight frown.

I wanted to go over and cheer her up, but I stayed where I did every day: on the bench. That day, the rain fell softly to the ground. I was not able to interpret this until I looked up. I was merely lost in her presence as her innocent smile made its grand arrival on her soft face. Every now and then, she was prancing my way, dancing along to the music that only she could hear. To everyone else, this young girl dancing alone was a strange sight. But to me, it was something beautiful.

She was a rather short girl, and her blonde hair fell down her back as it stuck – piece by piece – to her damp jacket, freshly wet with rain. I wanted to say something to her. I wanted to get up with her and dance. I wanted to feel the rain dripping down my back as well. I wanted these things. Would I go for them? The answer is simple - of course not. No one would ever want to engage in any kind of interaction with me.

Every day we would wait together for our bus to come. It was line two.  We arrived at the same time every day. I did not know this girl, nor was I an acquaintance to her, but I merely felt more. I was not able to interpret what she would say to me, for my mind was somewhere else. It was maybe floating with the clouds, I suppose.

Parents always tell their children to “go for it”. But, how often did we, as children, “go for it”? That is a question to think about. I should have just done it – went for it – that day, but something held me back. Just as it did every day. Every day at two in the afternoon, as the streets would be home to hundreds of people, I had nothing but an opportunity to “go for it”. I would rather sit there and say nothing, though. Going for it would be to mainstream, would it not?

This young girl, she was an immaculate work of art. She was beautiful. As the bus rode by every day to our stop, she would wave her hand at me to notify me of its arrival. I would watch her step onto the bus, her hips sashaying from side to side as she kept a small smile pressed to her lips. I just wish I would have gone for it. But, who would want to engage in any form of interaction with me?

That day, the bus was crowded. I was dumbfounded as I looked around for a spot to sit, my dainty fingers grazing over the small coin box; I continued to look around. I could tell that my breath was hitching as I walked up and down the aisle for a seat. I am almost positive that the bus driver was rushing for me to sit, only by the look on people’s faces. That day, she saved a seat for me. She waved to me, and I followed her small body to the back of the bus, taking a seat down next to her.

I was not able to interpret what she would talk to me about, so I pointed to the sticker on my chest a few times, biting my lip nervously. She would glance down at it a few times before she finally caught on. I read her lips as they sang my name softly, and my eyes closed as my cheeks flushed red. What was this feeling?

That day, we sat close on the bus. Unaware that it would be my last time seeing her, I regretted not “going for it”, but of course I was not in control of that.

Do you remember how in pre-school, we were motivated to “go for our dreams”? Well, in my dreams, I was not able to interpret what was being said, but this girl would show up every night. Making her grand arrival in my dreams, I always woke up in shock. Whenever these dark pools that settled in her eyes glanced my way, my own eyes shot open and my pupils shrunk in surprise. My, my… This girl was truly something.

That day, this girl was making her final appearance to me: in my dreams; at my bus stop, our bus stop. I wish I would have just gone for it that day. I wish I would have introduced myself. Sure, I probably would speak too much to her, but going for it was not taught to us for nothing.

That day, this short girl, completely oblivious as to what the world thought of her, kept her mind going, while I stayed at my post. I was scared to open up, sure. I would be the first to admit. But who would ever dream of engaging an interaction with someone like me?

That day, I watched as this young girl glided off of the bus, disappearing behind the doors of the vehicle. I stood up quickly, racing after her before the doors could close completely. Without thinking, I lifted my hand to her, and yelled as loud as I could – even though I was not able to interpret my own words – “Bye!”

That day, this girl turned to me, and she smiled. She smiled. For once, someone engaged in interaction with me, and it was this girl. I never got to know her name, nor did I ever pay attention to what was being said to me. But that day, I finally did.

“Bye!” She called back, and turned away to walk to her final destination.

I watched the whole way, feeling my heart jump inside of my body. I finally went for it.

It is merely unfortunate that this young girl would never know my story. She would never know that I was deaf, and she would never know how I felt about her.

 


Wow. Been a long time since I actually sat down and wrote a nice Taeny fic. Even though it is a one shot, I hope you enjoyed it.

Dedicated to my wonderful best friend. I hope you enjoy it.

-Your Author-