하나

Bread and the Boy

The last thing that Yuri would do during a lecture was to listen attentively to whatever that the lecturer was going to say. She dreaded studying ever since she got into college and if not for her parents and her seemingly "bright" future, Kwon Yuri would not have chosen to embark on this path of her education. 

Why, you may ask?

Up till today, Kwon Yuri, herself, had not figured out the reason why she had submitted a local college as her first choice back a year ago after her graduation from high school. She was given an option to choose not to but she chose what she was reluctant to do. 

"Wake up!"

Yuri jerked up from her seat at the sudden call while the college bell came to an abrupt stop. She rubbed the weariness off her eyes and scrutinized the tranquil environment around her. She was in college... the college that she wanted to get out of as soon as possible.

 

"I can't believe that bald-headed Lee did not catch you dozing off this time."

"Why? Did you hope that he would?" Yuri remarked, clutching tightly onto the stacks of notes that she had just received this morning.

Im Yoona stopped in her tracks, eyeing her best friend from head to toe. As her best friend, she truly hoped and wished that Yuri could enter a decent university along with her, but based on how she was behaving in college and how much lectures seemed to have bore the hell out of her, Yoona began to think otherwise. She could do nothing about it but to wake her up in between countless of lectures and pray that she would just listen attentively for once. She had even tried to convince her into attending lectures with her but everytime that she did, Yuri would always end up falling asleep.

"You do know how observant he is. Remember how Changseob got caught the other time while he was playing his Nintendo DS under his table when he was right at the back of the lecture room? And how Sooyoung got punished for smuggling some corn snacks from her pencil case? And how many students are there in a lecture? Five hundred! Mind you."

Yuri winced as she shrugged.

"So... the main point now is, I am hungry and we should eat since it's break time." Yuri grinned, obviously averting the topic and earning a scoff from Yoona who was now, crossing her arms.

Another thing that appealed to most of the cohort of the students, would have to be the variety of food that they could choose from in college, as compared to high school. There was a diversity of stalls, from Western food, local Korean delicacies, Chinese cuisines, and not to forget, the healthy eating food stall that was newly-opened a week ago. Yoona was informed that the stall served mainly sandwiches, energy bars and fruits; and immediately, she was stricken with the fact that she was not a fan of those 'high-fibre' products and so she thought, the rest of the students would not be interested in purchasing those foods from the stall either.

However, as soon as set her foot in the canteen, she was proved wrong. The queue at the new stall was exceptionally long as compared to the other stalls who were only serving a few customers. To be exact, most of the female students were queuing up at that particular stall that Yoona despised. 

"Wow!" Yuri exclaimed, stepping behind the crowd of students who were basically, swarming up the new stall.

"I did not know that there were so much sandwich fanatics in college," Yoona commented, tip-toeing to get a better view of the menu that was pasted on the stall's wall.

A few female students snickered upon hearing Yoona's comment and whipped their heads back to the front to see if the queue was subsiding. There were also squeals coming from the front of the queue as they ordered their food and left the stall with enlivened expressions.

"Should we give it a try?"

"Why should w-"

"Oh c'mon, you can't say no to food, right?" Yuri chuckled, tugging onto her persistent friend's arm.

"But I hate br-"

"How can you hate bread? How can you even hate a food?"

"Then is it okay to say that I hate queuing? I'll go get a seat while YOU queue for YOUR bread." 

"Suit yourself," Yuri finally gave in, watching as Yoona strode off towards a few empty tables located at the far corner of the canteen.

Within seconds, the bell rang, indicating the end of break for the year one students who were occupying most of the queue. As the students unwillingly left in a hurry, the queue shortened and Yuri was pretty much entertained by the dejected expressions written on most of their faces. She was lucky enough to have a later and longer break today since she had not intend to attend the next lecture that Yoona was eager to attend.

"Next," came a deep voice that startled her.

Yuri lifted her head to see a boy, around her age, dressed in a black hooded pullover and apron. He had a pair of big, doe eyes and his fringe was neatly combed above his eyebrows. Apparently, she did not expect to see a boy, alone, working as a stall vendor at a college canteen. (Most students of her age would choose to pursue a further education anyway, except for Yuri of course.) She hastily scanned through the menu and ordered an 'egg mayo' sandwich that was listed as the 'high popularity' product. Before she knew it, the sandwich was placed before her in a plastic box and she fished out some coins from her jean pocket to pay.

Yuri managed to utter a soft thank you and earned nothing in return but a nudge from the next person in the queue who was eagerly trying to look her best by tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

23rd February 2013 ; The first update! I made some additions to the forewords as well.