5 Times 4 Equals 20

Five more minutes.

A/N: I just feel like updating an additional chapter for this. This will be written in Kevin's point of view. Don't know if anyone would want to read this, but here it is.


 

I stared at the silent machine for god knows how long, my fingers trembling in hers as I felt warmth slipping away from her body. Gaejin, she left. I thought as I felt my heart clenching uncomfortably, but seeing her smile resting on her pokerface, I chuckled.

At least she left happy.

The tears in my eyes continuously flowed as I looked at her peaceful face. You just can't leave me like that, I thought.

Gaejin, you just can't. 

The door opened again, revealing a nurse. She saw the quiet machine, and to Gaejin's peaceful body and then to me. She might have recognise me, but do I look like I care? Her shock was pretty evident, displaying it on her face, but she quickly pressed her lips tight, maybe to prevent her watery eyes from leaking. 

Maybe she is used to seeing it, I thought. Seeing death must be a common occurance to her right? The nurse said nothing, but hurried towards the bedside table and pulled out the drawer, revealing a regular shoebox in her hands. She then went to my side, her fingers hesitantly trying to grab my shoulder to give it an encouraging squeeze, and spoke.

"She wanted me to pass this to you," She said in her slightly croaked voice, "if she couldn't make it..." She passed me the box and I looked intensely at it. This box seemed familiar, it was Gaejin's. I saw it stashed in her bookcase, but whenever I tried to go near it, Gaejin would always shoo me away, saying its her secret.

Her secret is for me?

Her handwriting scrawled across the box. I lightly traced over her words, chuckling lightly at her handwriting with my hoarse voice.

I opened the box when I got home, and found a few things with sticky notes stuck onto each item. I picked up the CD case first, before popping it into the DVD drive in my laptop. The screen darkened, before revealing Gaejin's face, sitting on the couch in her home. I recognise the bright yellow couch in her living room, almost taking up half of the provided space. We would sit there in each other's arms, sometimes I would complain to her about the idol life being a UKISS member, and she would sit there in my arms, listening to every word, and slotted in some jokes along the way, making me laugh even harder than on camera for variety shows. Sometimes we would sing songs together, mostly NOT UKISS songs because sometimes I got sick of singing my own songs again and again, instead we would sing other people's songs, like SNSD or BIGBANG. She would laugh really loudly when I try to imitate some of the dances, and I would laugh at her trying to hit a high note while singing The Boys.

I smiled at the screen as that clumsy girl trying to find a comfortable way to sit, with her legs crossed and her leaning forward, her oversized hoodie slopping on her body like a piece of blanket. She smiled adorably while waving her hands excitedly to the screen, and I found myself waving back as vigorously with a smile crept on my face.

After her high died down, she looked into the camera just as she would look at me, her gaze soft and loving, but there was a hint of sadness, that was when I realise her nose was a little red, as if she had just cried before. My stomach flipped uncomfortably. I don't like seeing her cry. 

"Hi Kevin," She said with her voice shy and soft, "by the time you see this clip, I guess I'm already in another place, huh?" She added with a dry laugh.

"Sorry for speaking to you in such a way," She gestured to her surroundings, then to the camera, "I'm a coward who doesn't want to tell you the truth."

She glanced at the camera while taking a deep breath, as if she had a grand announcement and was looking at me. I gulped at her seriousness.

"I have brain cancer, Stage 4. They found a tumor in my head." She finally breathed out. "I didn't tell you this because I didn't want you to worry. I mean, you already got your own things to worry about. Like your career, UKISS, your family, I don't want to burden you anymore."

You are not burdening me, silly girl. You are never a burden. I thought.

"Everytime I see you coming to me, I noticed your sigh. I know you are stressed, especially when UKISS is not popular. You worry, worrying that you might not last in the entertainment industry. You will always joked that the next day, I might not see you on TV anymore. You said it in your joking tone, but I know, I know that you are trying to hide your sadness." Gaejin said in a soft tone.

I felt a stab in my chest, I understood whatever she said. But how did she know? She knew I was afraid, for the future. I thought I masked it pretty well, with my joking tone and stuff. 

"Its either your eyes never lie, or I'm an incredible psychic," She said while adding a melodious laugh. "I just don't want to add to your worries, you know? So I kept it away from you, for 2 years. At first, I went for treatment, they said it could get better, because I found it out rather early. But later as time goes, it just got worse and worse, to the point that I am just waiting for death." She ended with a dry chuckle.

I hated how much of her that I didn't know. I should have noticed her never-ending mirgraines, or her often light-headedness. I should have noticed her headaches. I should have noticed that something was wrong with her, but I always dismissed it as a small headache and watch her take medicine like its food, gulping it down every few hours. I hated how I'm always at work, trying to promote my band's name as much as I can. Going to events and music shows, leaving her alone to watch me on TV. 

My tears kept on flowing as I looked at her sunken face. She looked terribly sick, her body frail as a twig. Her dark circles were covered by heavy concealer, but it somehow did not work. Her hair looked like a bird's nest, as she tried to discretely comb her hair with her fingers while talking, as if I would not notice. Her lips were pale and had no colour, unlike the usual pinkness. But her eyes still sparkled in excitement, as if we were talking face-to-face or through a video chat call, her smile was still as contagious, as I found myself smiling with her soon after as she talked about the past, especially how we first met.

"Do you remember when we first met? I mean I was just a random passerby walking along the doors of your fanmeet event, but then your manager actually pulled me in, thinking that I was the stylist noona, because the one for you guys were terribly late. Luckily I could do some styling and was not a fashion terrorist, if not you guys will be dead!" She said excitedly and waved her hands around in an animated way. I smiled and unconsciously nodded along with her before finishing it with a laugh. 

"If you did not rat me out that day, I would not become UKISS's stylist today. Thank you for letting me keep my ricebowl!" She said while bowing formally to me, before laughing maniacly again. "If you did not rat me out that day, there would not be us, and our love." She shuddered as she found herself saying those cheesy words and I laughed at her cuteness.

"So thank you, for the time you have given me. The time with you is really the best times of my life. I had no childhood and was an orphan, but you gave me the love and concern that I could ever ask for from anyone, even if I have to ask anyone, it will still be you." She ended with a greasy wink and formed a heart with her long fingers.

"So, even if I'm gone. Never lose your shine, take me as the drive and strive for the better. Don't even think about joining me ever, until you actually gotten an award," I remember the times where she would grumble and teased that UKISS had never won awards even though our songs were better than the ones topping the charts. 

"Don't lose what you have used to attract me, okay? I will be here waiting, even if I'm gone. Forget me if you can, go on living like any other human being. Date, marry and have kids with the love of your life, okay? I look forward to those beautiful babies you are going to call your little KISSMEs." She said with her eyes watering, tears threatening to fall.

I gently sobbed against my pillow. But you're the love of my life, I thought.

The twenty minute clip had already ended long ago, with the screen blacken out.

The three other things stayed motionlessly in the box.

The couple stickerbooth pictures. 

The couple hoodies and caps that we would wear randomly out the streets to not not let people recognise us.

Lastly the couple ring that laid on her finger only days ago. 

I clutched the ring tightly, and the identical ring that rested on my finger. 

 

Roger that, Gaejin. I smiled.