Empty chairs at empty tables

Empty chairs at empty tables

 

For more effect, you should listen to the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOSvYaR7CHw

The song is Empty Chairs at Empty Tables from Les Misérables. Don't go and see the movie, instead, go and see the 10th Anniversary concert on youtube :3

 

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

There's a grief that can't be spoken
There’s a pain goes on and on
Empty chairs at empty tables
Now my friends are dead and gone.

Minjun turned the knob of the door and walked inside. It was the first time after so many years that he visited this place, this old apartment that he used to live in. Long gone was 2PM, long gone were his friends, doing their lives God only knows where. His heart hurt at the thought, at the fact that he no longer knew anything about them, that despite the fact that they had been brothers for years, now he knew nothing about them and hadn’t known anything about them for years. He looked at the empty furniture, the tables, the couches in the living room, the empty kitchen.

There was no one there, no one but him...

Here they talked of revolution
Here it was they lit the flame
Here they sang about tomorrow
And tomorrow never came

There on the floor he could clearly see Chansung watching TV and eating, and Taecyeon sprawled on the couch with his computer, his glasses on, looking incredibly concentrated. He could hear them singing the songs he knew by heart, or moving the couches away to rehearse their new single in the middle of the living room.

Here in this empty house they used to talk about the future, the bright future that awaited them, for they were young and they were famous... And the future they had wanted to achieve together never came to them. Now they were all scattered, and he didn’t even know where to start looking for them...

From the table in the corner
They could see a world reborn
And they rose with voices ringing
And I can hear them now
The very words that they had sung
Became their last communion
On the lonely barricade at dawn

He walked slowly, choking on the lump in his throat, and sat at the table in the kitchen, he looked over at the chair in front of him, and distinctly saw Nichkhun, with his bright smile and his kind eyes, humming softly to himself while he was busy with a book in Korean. And how he could hear them all! Their voices beautiful in perfect synchronization... The songs about the bright future they wanted as a band, as brothers.

And he saw them walk out of the rooms, and into the kitchen and out, and his eyes filled with tears.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me
That I live and you are gone
There’s a grief that can't be spoken
There’s a pain goes on and on

“I’m... I’m sorry...” He said, burying his face in his hands, tears running freely. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t strong enough...”

He cried for what seemed like hours, and then he looked up, still sobbing, and could see Wooyoung through his tears.

‘Hyung, are you okay?’ But then he vanished, just like they all did every time he visited this place, his lower lip trembled, and the tears escaped him once again, as he could see on the corner of his eye, in the living room, the two youngest wrestling over an apple, he laughed between sobs.

“I’m so sorry...”

Phantom faces at the window
Phantom shadows on the floor
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more

On the counter, he saw Taecyeon, through his tears, the giant man smiled at him brightly, his visions moved in and out of the apartment, in and out of the rooms, ghosts of the past that would come back only when he came to this place to haunt him with the guilt of all the bad decisions he made, if he had been stronger, if he had been less greedy, if he had listened to his brothers...

Maybe the chairs would not be empty, maybe someone would come out of the rooms, and maybe they wouldn’t be ghosts but real people...

But his friends would meet no more.

Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me
What your sacrifice was for.
Empty chairs at empty tables,
Where my friends will sing no more

He distinctly saw Nichkhun, carrying Wooyoung on his back, while the younger demanded to be put down, through the veil of his tears he saw them all, together at the table, phantom people eating phantom food, talking all at the same time, to each other and to him, and he once again covered his face with his hands.

The table was empty, the chairs were empty.

No one would sit by his side anymore.