Chapter 1

Ashes and Wine

 

Ring...

 

Ring...

 

Ring...

 

 

“yeboseyo?”

 

“Hey, I need your help.”

 

“Sure, what is it?”

 

“I want revenge.”

 

“...”

 

“Hello? Are you still there?”

 

“*sigh* Okay, what’s the plan?”

 

I listened to my best friend, Yuri as she told me her plan to take revenge on her cheating ex-boyfriend, Taeyang.

 

It’s been a month since they broke up and I’m glad that she’s over him. No one knows how many tears she cried over him because she thought that he’s the one for her. No one knows how many alcohol she took just to forget him. No one knows how many messages from him that she tried to ignore but always give in. No one knows but me.

 

I’ve been there for her since the beginning. I’ve been there, every laugh, every tears, every foolishness. It’s my duty as her best friend but I never seen it coming. I never realized how much i sacrificed for her because i never realized that I’m already in love with her.

 

Yes. I’m in love with my best friend.

 

I was scared when i first thought of it. What I feel for her is not normal. It’s not right that I’m falling for my best friend, let alone, a girl, so i kept it to myself.

 

But as the time goes by, it gets deeper and deeper. I took notice her every move, her every smile, frown and among little things. It’s as if she did an extraordinary trick with just a flip of her hair.

 

Who wouldn’t fell for Kwon Yuri?! She’s beautiful. She stands out among the pale-colored girls with her tanned skin. She can make your nose bleed with her bedroom eyes and the sway of her y hips as she walks. She’s sweet, she’s intelligent, she’s funny, and she’s the epitome of a perfect girl. This is the reason why every guy is fantasizing her, which makes every girl hate her.

 

I tried to point it out to her but she just scoffed and said that if she’s perfect, she wouldn’t fall for a douchebag like Taeyang.

 

Taeyang.  I hate him.

 

It’s not because she’s my rival but it’s just I don’t like him. He’s a player. He treated Yuri like a trophy girlfriend to his friends but Yuri’s too blind to notice. He even cheated lots of times but Yuri just keep on accepting him because she believed in all those “sweet-talk” (which I called, lies) that he said.

 

I got mad at her for that. We fought so hard that I made her choose between him and me. To cut the long story, short, let’s just say that it came out with me leaving with a broken heart for admitting my feelings for her and regretting why am i falling for her in the first place.

 

We stopped talking after that.

 

Did my feelings for her changed after what she did to me?

 

I guess i am too blind to care.

 

I’m still in love with her.

 

I waited every minute of the day for her to come up to me and apologize for saying those hurtful things. For calling me names because I’m in love with her, but she didn’t. Instead, she kept falling so hard over Taeyang.

 

That one night, changed everything. According to one of our closest friend, Taeyeon, she saw Yuri and Taeyang came into Sooyoung’s party. The couple were fighting about something, then, Taeyang left Yuri, so she returned to Taengoo and our other friends. After few hours of Taeyang’s disappearance, Yuri dragged Taeyeon and they went to search around Sooyoung’s house to look for her boyfriend. When they reached to Sooyoung’s cabin in the backyard, that’s when they saw Taeyang on top of Yuri’s dance mate, Hara doing God knows what. Yuri went speechless and abruptly walked away which leaves Taengoo who took revenge by taking photos of Taeyang and Hara. I also learned that they’re having an affair behind Yuri’s back for months now. That’s the time that Yuri realized how much of a douchebag Taeyang is, so she broke up with him.

 

Taeyang, on the other hand, kept coming back for Yuri but she wouldn’t let him. Hara left the dance club to transfer school, afraid that Taengoo might expose the photos.

 

Yuri didn’t know that I’m always there for her when she hides crying under the tree that we used to hang out. I’m there watching her as she got drunk in a bar. I’m always there watching out for her, scared that she might do something she might regret. She didn’t know, no one knows.

 

I was surprised that after all this time, she called me, asking for help.

 

*

“So you’re going to meet her just to help her take revenge on her ex after all the tears you cried and all of the, ‘i’m such a fool’ dialogue that you said. Don’t you realize how mad you were when she’s like this towards Taeyang?!” my close friend and dorm mate, Jessica explained.

 

Damn, she’s right. Why didn’t i think of that? I’m turning into her when she’s into Taeyang!

 

I looked down in embarrassment. “She needs me.” I whispered.

 

Jessica scoffed and said, “Need you?! Wake up, Im Yoona! She only needed you when she wants attention from her damn boyfriend! Did she care about you like you care for her?! No! Because she thinks that what she needs is her boyfriend. But look what he did to her, and now that they’re done, she’s turning on you because she knows you’ll do whatever she said.”

 

I kept my head down because she’s right. Jessica Jung is always right.

 

“Look, I’m not against that you’re reconnecting again with Yuri. But come to think of it, Yoona, after you take revenge against her ex, what will happen next? Are you going back to your moping and your ‘what if’s.” She explained.

 

“What will I do? I know that it’s a selfish thing to do but i’ll take everything just to be with her again. I miss my best friend.” I said as tears flowed in my eyes. “Please understand me, Sica. What will you do if you’re in my place? What if Yuri is Tiffany? What will you do?”

 

Jessica paused for a while and looked at me, contemplating what to answer. Then, she exhaled and whispered, “Maybe, we are both fools who are so much in love with them.”

 

TBC