Prologue

Ga-Jok

The people in the current MBC conference room during the pitch meeting were on a deadline. They needed a new show, a specific show. They were in need of a new reality variety show. The last few ideas sounded like things that had already been done before, newer and different variations of We Got Married or Family Outing.

“Yah, we have until the end of the day to get an idea to production and are we really saying that we’ve got nothing?” said one of the disgruntled employees as she looked across the table at all the vacant expressions staring back at her.

Pens tapped on tables, people toyed with their Tablets and iPads trying to look productive. It was a brainstorming meeting and they couldn’t even muster up a light drizzle.

“Listen…” the same woman as before started as she stood from her chair. “I know we’re all ready to leave this meeting and get home to our families but we have to come up with something.”

“Ga-Jok.” someone muttered under their breathe at the end of what was a potential pep talk.

“Mwo? Who said--…”

“Think about it, we take two idols…get them ‘married’--…”

There was a scoff followed by an interruption. “We already did it…We Got Married, remember that?”

“Let me finish.” the older man stood up as everyone sat back in their chairs and turned to face him. “We let them live like newlyweds a while AND THEN…bring a baby into it. Family. We‘ve let idols experience a sort of married life and sure Hello Baby sort of let them see what it was like to have kids BUT why not throw it all together? I know it could run a little similar to Family Outing and We Got Married but not if we don‘t let it.”

The conference room fell silent, people exchanged looks before looking back to the storm starter.

“We could do a test season with one family, see how the ratings go and if they’re great ratings we could do one family per season to drag it out and make the show last awhile.”

There was muttering and whispers between everybody until a complete productive uproar of a brainstorm was in motion.

“We need to pick our first family, get a layout of a few things then get it pitched.”

“The more popular the idols, the higher the start-up ratings will be.”

“Super Junior doesn’t have much going on right now but they’re still one of the highest selling artists, what about Siwon?”

“My daughter talks all the time about Taeyeon from Girls’ Generation and how she thinks she could have gotten a more age appropriate husband on We Got Married. The group just finished the Japanese leg of their arena tour and will be Seoul for a while before they head to Thailand.”

“I know we discussed Eunjung and Jang Woo again, she’s still been one of the more popular pairings on We Got Married. Their episodes are being put on DVD so Eunjung would be a good way to go. Especially since T-ara are working on a comeback.”

“2PM has been working on a Korean comeback now that they‘ve finished a Japanese album and tour, this show could incorporate with their promotions. Juns--…Minjun had an incredible feedback from The Romantic & The Idol.”

“We can have them get an apartment, live together a while then maybe a few episodes in send in a toddler…or whatever age child we think they’d be able to handle, however not one that would be too easy for them.”

Ideas were starting to fly all around the room. People were still tossing in other names for idols to be the first family. Someone made mention of a reunion of Nichkhun and Victoria or Jang Woo and Eunjung, people just kept going back and forth over names.

“Maybe we should contact the Moon family, ask about Mason, Mavin or Maden? I think everyone adores those kids.”

“Let’s keep that idea on standby, I like it but I’m not sold on it yet.”

“Okay, so we’ve come to the options of Eunjung and Taeyeon for the wife and omma, then Siwon and Minjun for husband and appa? How are we going to decide?”

“Maybe we can let production decide?”

A small group agreed while the others kept throwing out their opinions.

“Yah, araso! We’ll figure it out now. How are we going to pick?”

Moments passed and no one said anything. People whispered and exchanged ideas on how to decide. Finally someone spoke up.

“What about Taeyeon and Minjun to start things off since 2PM and Girls’ Generation have worked together before and we know they work well together.”

People nodded and agreed on the idea, then moved on to the next topic.

“Should we discuss what kind of promotions and information we’ll do for the show?”

“Nothing that gives away much. Let’s go for a ‘WOW!’ factor with the show. Release tidbits of a show involving 2PM and Girls’ Generation, just not much more than that. Let the audience find out as the idols do.”

“What about a title?”

A simple question followed by fifteen people throwing out complicated names trying to find something unique and fitting. Nothing sounded suitable for the show.

“Ga-jok…just, Ga-jok.”

And there they had it. They had their plan for the new show, ideas were being hammered out and solidified. Once everything had been typed up, it was immediately sent to production.

Now came the hard part, waiting for the approval.