Welcome to Class.

Lucifer's Butterfly

“Alright.” Key set down a pile of thick tomes onto the table. Tomes. Plural. And they were huge. In his arms, the stack almost touched his chin. When he had set them down, dust particles freed themselves from the covers and now floated visibly in the stream of sunlight coming in through the windows. “These are a good start. I fished them out from the underground library. Volumes 1 through 3.”

Her eyes fixated on the stack for a full ten seconds before she switched her stare to Key. Then she glanced at Minho.

Minho, seeing her look, spoke up, “Uh...Key...I don’t think three weeks will be enough time to get through those. What are those books of anyway?”

“These? Volume one contains theories of the beginning of supernatural existence. Volume two gives super brief descriptions on most demon species. I think it needs to be updated though. Volume three goes into demonic wars. And there are twenty something more volumes somewhere,” Key started. “My tutor made me study from these when I was younger.”

Minho took the top tome and flipped through it experimentally. He closed it and pushed it away saying, “Just because you were tortured as a child doesn’t give you the right to subject others to these.”

The girl glanced at the two guys who weren’t paying her visible attention before inching for the book that Minho had just picked up, curious at its contents. Trying to pull it towards her, she found that it budged only a millimeter. With her eyes on the slender Key, she wondered, ‘Just how strong is he?!’

“Oh, like you didn’t have to study these boring things when you were a pipsqueak,” Key mumbled.

The other guy rolled his eyes.

“Alright, so the first thing you need to understand is that the supernatural world is comprised of more than just demons” Minho paused for a second in thought.

“Instead of trying to give them labels, how about examples?” Onew, who had been standing in the doorway for the past minute invited himself in and sat down next to Minho and across from her. “We’re demons. Demons have their own general characteristics that make us demons. Then we have our own “laws”, clans, traditions, and wars. Demon society is separate from say...Beasts. Your animal-like creatures like dragons and unicorns. And then beasts and demons are of course separate from say…the beings that epitomize things. That just be.”

To her credit, the look on her face betrayed only slight confusion even though she didn’t grasp his last sentence.

“For example, those dirt people that paid us a visit. They’re not demons at all,” Minho put in. “They are pretty much earth substance, soil, mud, and clay in organismal form. They pretty much ARE dirt. Technically, they aren’t supposed to be evil or good. They just be.”

Key picked at his nails, not fondly remembering how messy the clean up process was. “But nowadays, everyone’s starting to think too much when they shouldn’t be and starting to make stupid decisions that aren’t usually part of their nature.” He scowled while insulting the dirt people.

“Kind of like what we’re doing,” Onew pointed out.

Key became quiet and then mumbled, “Yeah...like what we’re doing.” His expression changed in a second, and he went back to teacher mode. “Demons are characteristically evil. I mean like, nobody thinks of anything good when you hear the word ‘demon’ right? Unless you’re some crazy, cult-following, masochistic or sadistic-” Key cut himself off when he felt the gazes of his fellow band mates drilling holes into his body.

Minho decided to take up the explanation. In a voice that was light considering the topic, he gently continued, “Demons live to make others suffer. Like Key said, they’re innately evil. They desire to see and cause suffering even though their lives do not depend on it. They just do it for ‘fun’.”

“Different kinds of demons live for various number of years and have various abilities,” Onew added. “So the demon community, encompasses creatures that can be very very different from each other.”

“So you are evil then.” She just restated the fact that she had learned long ago.

The three casted their eyes downwards. Minho looked back up and said gently, “We’re different now.”

Key tried to support him. “Yeah. Like I said before, a lot of us are changing now. Looking outside the boxes we’ve always been in. We can choose to act differently! We wouldn’t be SHINee, singing, dancing, and training under a human-run company and making fans happy if we still stuck with our demon nature.”

“So you’re telling me you didn’t kill the man who stole my purse, and you didn’t enjoy it.” She challenged Key. “You’re telling me you weren’t grinning as you crushed people’s heads in and tore people limb from limb?” She asked all of them.

She was one of the few people who could challenge Key and he wouldn’t be able to open his mouth. His brown eyes revisited the floor.

Onew looked at everyone’s postures. “We don’t deny it.”

His admittance met no response from her.

After a prolonged silence, Onew continued, “So the ‘beings that be’…well, that’s what I call them. They really don’t have a name like ‘demon’…also includes your elementals. They’re different than Jonghyun or Minho who are just demons with element-based abilities. Elemental beings just go around doing whatever they want. Making water, setting fires, starting storms.

Minho put in, “And elementals don’t follow the rules of science as you know them at all. Like I told you how I needed water to make ice. Elementals can create ice out of literally nothing. But they can also make it disappear too. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed my .”
Onew continued, “Usually their personalities are kind of like their elements too, but even the most active earth elemental who quakes the ground every so often isn’t really evil. They just do it because they were born to do it.”

Key seemed to find his voice. “Now, gods, especially the elemental ones, really are a pain in the when they want to be. I have a whole book on those pesky, pompous heads. ”

“Key…,” Onew warned.

“Yeah yeah yeah. I know. Sorry any gods listening in,” Key grumbled.

“Nobody pisses off the gods,” Minho explained.

Onew looked at the clock. “Basically, what we’re trying to say is that there are a whole lot of supernatural things out there that could potentially encounter. A lot of them won’t give you the time of day, but the ones that you will encounter won’t be so kind as to ignore you.”

Her face looked blank as she tried to process all the information.

“That’s enough for today. You can read up on some things if you want. I’ll have Key get you some less intimidating books, but if you have any questions at all, ask us,” Onew ended.
_________
THEA's Corner

Looking at my last Thea's Corner, I find it kind of sad that my last update says I just got back to my home country for break. And I did no updating 'til now, when I'm back abroad again....Now then,

<_<          >_>         >_<         -_-         *_*        O_O      @_@
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got featured?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!! Wow...I...don't. know. how...that. happened...
Just...wow....
Wow....
Alrighty then. I'm going to be spending the next full day replying to peep's comments then. Because I like to. Okay really, I did notice I was featured like a few days after I got featured but I didn't have time at all to form any response to such an event. I was way busy all break working. I was too busy and too tired coming home to do anything but eat dinner and go to bed. So I apologize for the wayyyy late update. I think I'll get the next chapter out sooner though. This doesn't feel like a good chapter to me so I want to post another one to make me feel better.
..

I'll be posting some supernatural world info at the end of some chapters now in the style of probably what the girl's notes would look like if she was actually in a class. Just because I feel like it and have an active imagination. You don't really need to know any of that info for the story though.

Again, just...wow....

________
Notes

Kinds of supernatural things beings-

  • Demons--> what these guys are:

Includes- a variety of creatures. Many humanoid.
Characteristics -
    -innately evil - desires to see and cause suffering to others. Hurting other creatures is not something they need to do to live, they just want to do it. It’s “fun”
    -all live for over a century at least - rate of aging varies with species
    -solitary or group living

  • Beasts:

includes: what we’d call mythical creatures (dragons, unicorns, lochness monster(?) etc.)
Characteristics: -varied
        -lifespan varied
        -group living varied