Talking to the Moon

Talking to the Moon

 

“I know you're listening to me. I know it.” he whispered to the night air.

The smallest twinkle of a star seemed to confirm his words, and he hugged himself tighter.

 

He had misunderstood what 'fear' and 'want' meant. A great portion of his life he'd thought a fear had to do with spiders and heights, with death and the dark. He'd thought wanting something related to clothing, to a victory in sports, to a number from a sweet boy down the street.

 

No. Fear was much simpler than spiders and the darkness. He'd lost something. Something that was precious to him, important. And now he didn't know if he'd ever have it back. That was 'fear'.

 

The need to hold someone when you can't, to be physically separated from them, leaving you on the roof of your house, wishing on every star and on the moon itself to have that person back just for a few seconds. That was 'want'. Maybe it was 'need' actually...

 

He heard a small movement behind him somewhere, but he ignored it and continued to gaze at the bright moon and the stars. He'd gotten used to his neighbors staring at him either incredulously or watching him with sympathy. It didn't matter to him, none of them would understand what he felt.

 

“I want you back.” he admitted. The moon's light brightened over him, listening carefully to his words.

 

“I'm sorry I didn't try harder to keep you with me.” and there is was. The feelings of want and need swimming through his eyes. Together they seemed to make a new emotion on their own; regret made his fingers dig in to the fabric of his jeans.

He quickly pushed away the tears that were falling down his reddened cheeks. Even if he seemed crazy, this was what made him feel sane. This made him feel not so alone at night. He had to believe it, that the man he loved was listening to him through the shining rock in the sky.

 

The chill of air didn't bother him, the judgmental looks of his neighbors didn't bother him either. The only thing that mattered was the moon. Because with all his heart he believed that somewhere out there, a beautiful person was sitting under the same sky, looking up at the same moon and whispering to it as well. It had to be true.

With every tear that made him sob quietly to himself, he knew that wherever Onew was, he was looking up at the moon too. Onew could hear him calling, would answer with the twinkle of the stars, would whisper back with the cold wind. How else could he feel a connection to the moon?

 

“I'm probably just a fool.” he chuckled quietly.

But the way the moon illuminated his rooftop, the way everything got suddenly quiet, told Minho that just wasn't true.

Someone, definitely Onew, was on the other side talking to him too.

 

~ ~ ~

He looked up from his desk.

His eyes wandered up to the sky.

He stared at the moon.

 

He wasn't sure what it was, but he continued to stare, watching it closely. There was a full moon out tonight, it was round and bright. So bright it lit up the dark room he was in.

 

Minho was probably looking up at the moon too right?

He liked to think so.

 

“I love you. I miss you.” he whispered in to the quietness. There was no response, not really. But he kept his eyes on that bright circle with a positive feeling.

 

Minho probably got that message, because he was probably looking at the moon too. At least that was what Onew liked to think.  

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So crappiest shortest one shot everrrrr!

I was just listening to this song and BAM. so there. its terrible I know...ugh. OnHo OTP.