Honest Confessions

Honest Confessions

Zitao stared at the flowers that had been into his hands for a good few minutes. Staring at the other male before him, he shook his head. He had never been a fan of this holiday. Although it wasn't exactly a secret that he was gay- both men and women came out of the wood work to confess their hidden feelings for him. Sighing, Zitao offered the flowers back to the other.

 
"I'm sorry, Kris, but I don't feel the same." He responded, his tone a little harsher than intended- but he was at least being honest.
 
Kris looked like he was having a battle with himself as the flowers were turned back to him. The older male had been trying for a few weeks to win Zitao over and he figured that Valentine's Day would serve as the best opportunity. Although a bright bouquet that was currently glaring the blond down was proving otherwise. It didn't take long for Kris to notice the looks they were getting from Zitao's best friend- Oh Sehun- and for the older male that was all the incentive he needed. He didn't know how he had been so oblivious to it, but the fact that Zitao was turning him down for Sehun of all people; that was a slap in the face. Gritting back an angry retort, Kris simply smirked at Sehun before closing the gap between Zitao and himself. Curling one arm around Zitao's waist and the other hand grasping the back of the younger male's head he forced their lips together.
 
To Sehun, it was a terrible moment of realization. Not really- he had always known his feelings for Zitao weren't that of 'just friends' but he didn't realize that Zitao could be so callously torn from his grasp. Seeing how Zitao didn't immediately push Kris away, Sehun took that as his signal to leave, his hip swiping into a metal trash can as he passed. Pausing for a moment as the can clattered to the ground, Sehun glanced back at Zitao and Kris before running away. He had no place here, after all.
 
Stunned. Completely, and utterly, stunned. Zitao was pretty sure he had told Kris he wasn't interested, and yet the elder had seen fit to kiss him? His mind had frozen as he felt the elder trying to deepen the one-sided kiss, but that moment was quick to pass as he heard the sound of a metal container crashing against cement. Pushing Kris off of him and allowing the bouquet to fall to the ground, Zitao took a quick step back and turned in the direction of the obnoxiously loud sound- only to be greeted with the sight of Sehun's back disappearing around a corner. Shooting a scathing look in Kris' direction, Zitao didn't waste another second as he ran off after Sehun. It took a good few minutes before his eyes finally landed on Sehun once more, the younger leaning against the wall of the cafe they normally study at.
 
"Sehun..." Zitao started, only to be cut off by the younger.
 
"So, ready to study?" Sehun's voice came out more even and sure than he hoped it would, betraying none of his inner turmoil- unlike his eyes and body language. Zitao was quick to notice that the younger hadn't immediately hugged him like he normally would and how Sehun's eyes wouldn't meet his own. "Are you going to order a coffee today?" Sehun continued, doing everything possible to avoid looking at Zitao.
 
Sighing heavily, Zitao poked the younger's cheek, "Sehun, " He started again, giving a weak smile when the younger turned to face him, "I know you were there when Kris confessed to me."
 
Most people wouldn't notice the faint stiffness that had overtaken Sehun, but Zitao did; most people also wouldn't notice how Sehun suddenly wanted nothing to do with this situation, but Zitao did- he noticed everything about the younger. So when Sehun opened his mouth to respond with a quiet, "Sorry, I shouldn't have been there..." It hurt Zitao a bit, he knew his feelings for his friend had crossed the line a while back until he could no longer deny the fact that he loved the younger.
 
"Sehun, stop it with the act. Honestly, I'm tired of acting- aren't you?" Zitao stated, his voice hinting at his exasperation. He knew Sehun better than the younger knew himself, so the fact that Sehun was trying to side step the situation annoyed him a bit.
 
The silence that hung between them had never seemed louder or more tense than any other time silence had reigned in their conversations. Taking a deep breath, Sehun steeled himself as he turned down the elder male once more, "I don't know what you're talking about."
 
"Seriously?" Zitao raised an eyebrow in disbelief as he grabbed Sehun's shoulders and forced the younger to face him, "I really can't take this anymore, Sehun. We have been friends for years, but I'm not satisfied with that."Sehun opened his mouth to respond, but Zitao shook his head- quickly silencing the other, "That thing with Kris was him being ridiculous. I don't like him in anyway other than that of friends- just friends." He couldn't have emphasized those two words more as he gave the younger a small smile, "I had already turned him down though, because I already know who it is that I wanted to confess to today." Sehun tried wriggling out of Zitao's hold when the word 'confess' was mentioned, but Zitao tightened his grip slightly. "Oh Sehun, I like you. Not as friends and not as brothers, I honestly do like you."
 
As the words registered in Sehun's mind he stopped moving around to stare back at Zitao, "Really?" He questioned, his voice finally cracking with the emotions he had tried to bottle up.
 
Zitao gave a slow nod, "I've liked you for a while, and well- there's no time like the present, right?" He sheepishly presented as he dropped his hands to his sides, "I told you, I was tired of acting. I'm tired of acting like we're just friends, I want more than that." He admitted, a gentle smile on his lips.
 
"I'm sorry I don't have flowers to give you, or chocolates either, but..." Sehun paused as he stepped closer to Zitao, "I like you too, Zitao." He admitted, the thoughts of Kris falling to the wayside- but only a bit, because there was one thing that still bothered him.
 
"Flowers and chocolates are overrated anyway." Zitao stated with a quiet chuckle, although as he felt Sehun's arms wrapping around him, his chuckle faded and a blush graced his cheeks.
 
"They may be overrated, but I still have to make it up to you." After holding back for so long, they finally shared their first kiss- and it was on Valentine's Day, no less.
 
There is no such thing as a perfect couple or a perfect romance, but there is a such thing as finding one another- finally.