CHAPTER 1: THE LOVE WE MISSED THE MOST

LOVE ME AGAIN

Jung so Min was standing at the window of her spacious office located at one of the modern buildings owned by her family. The sun was shining brightly and Seoul was as busy as usual.

“I come inside since I already knocked three times but you didn’t answer so I decided to check on you”, it was Park Si Hoo, her fiance of three years…more likely her closest friend since they treated each other more on the level of friendship than a couple.

“I am just looking at the view of Seoul and realized how lonely it is up here”, So Min replied with a smile that did not reach her beautiful eyes. She reached for the can of cola that Si Hoo handed her and popped out the lid and sipped from it.

“Yeah…I realized that too years ago but I can’t dwell on those negative thoughts anymore since life has to move on…” Si Hoo meaningfully agreed as he too took a sip of his cola.

“Anyway, enough of this sentimentality…” So Min said as she gently wiped the tears that escaped her eyes and took a deep breath. “I heard that you have a business proposition for me?” she asked as she went to her swivel chair and sat while Si Hoo occupied a chair in front of her mahogany desk.

“Yeah…a friend of mine said that a couple of days ago, a doctor from the US contacted him. This doctor is getting married and he wants to give his bride the best…you know…the usual catering, expensive wedding gown and a huge party…” Si Hoo narrated.

“So? Where are we going to enter the picture then?” So Min asked curiously.

“Okay…the thing is he wants a top fashion designer to make the wedding clothes for the entourage…he specifically wants you to design everything. On the other hand, his bride saw some of the designs that I made for the mansions around here in Seoul so she wants me to be the architect to make the renovations for the mansion they just bought”, Si Hoo explained.

“Wow! This couple must be very rich. Imagine a wedding package from me and a mansion package from you…” So Min smiled excitedly as her thoughts already ran to the direction of the wedding gowns she would be designing.

“And they want to meet with us tonight in a private dinner to discuss the details”, Si Hoo added.

“Great! Let’s see them tonight. I won’t be doing anything at home anyway so we might as well meet these potential clients”, So Min agreed.

“I’ll pick you up at 7:00 pm”, Si Hoo said as he smiled and left her office.

So Min stood and stared at the window…trying to still the loneliness in her heart. She was an heiress whose family owned The Magic, a top clothing brand in South Korea. She had graduated in a prestigious fashion school in Paris and gained numerous awards over the years. She was to marry, Si Hoo, a rich architect whose family owned The Builders, a top architectural firm. Yet, deep inside she felt hallow…empty…as though all her success and fortune in life equated to nothing. Could the friendship she built with her relationship with Si Hoo be equated with love?

“So Min…So Min…don’t dwell on such negative thoughts anymore. He’s gone…you left him…you hurt him so much so don’t expect that he would be coming back anytime now”, So Min told herself but that thought did not stop the tears from flowing from her eyes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kim Hyun Joong was at the rooftop of the hospital where he was recently accepted as a doctor. He was a top surgeon in one of the hospitals in New York when he decided to quit and return to Korea.

“Hi, I thought I would find you here”, it was Moon Chae Won…the woman whom he would marry in two months.

Hyun Joong turned around and saw Chae Won standing near him. She was a struggling interior designer and he a struggling doctor when they first met. They became fast friends and their friendship blossomed to a relationship in two years they had been in US.

“Hi, I’m just thinking if this was right move for the both of us”, Hyun Joong said with a sigh.

“Why? You don’t like to return here?” Chae Won asked as he walked near him and looked at the view of the city.

“I mean we are living a good life in US…we have our lucrative careers there. We already established who we are in that country…so why return here? Why now?” Hyun Joong asked as he looked at Chae Won intently.

“Hyun Joong, we both said that we want closure, right? Before we start a new life…we want to have closure from those people who hurt us”, Chae Won replied as her eyes misted.

“But…what good would that be to us? We are just opening up the wounds we spent years mending”, Hyun Joong reasoned out as he turned his back from the view of the city and leaned his back on the wall.

“Freedom, Hyun Joong, and it’s also a test to our relationship. You love So Min so much that you decided to become a good doctor and become rich on your own to prove yourself to her and I…I spent years forgetting about Si Hoo and thanks to you I started moving on with my life”, Chae Won replied.

“Have you, Chae Won? Have you really moved on from Park Si Hoo?” Hyun Joong asked as he looked at her.

“Hyun Joong, have you moved on from Jung So Min?” Chae Won asked back.

“I love you, Chae Won”, Hyun Joong said and he wondered deep inside if he meant it as it was since his heart did not beat faster as it should every time he told So Min those words years ago.

“I love you, too, Hyun Joong”, Chae Won replied but she wondered in her heart if she meant such a reply or she just said it out of habit or more out of friendship for this man whom she would marry.

“So our meeting with our exes already set tonight?” Hyun Joong asked.

“Yes, I’ll be ready by 7:00 pm”, Chae Won said.

“I’ll see you then”, Hyun Joong agreed as he smiled and Chae Won smiled back before she left him.

Hyun Joong breathed in the cold air…he attained success as a known doctor and became rich in the process. He had a beautiful fiancé who also made her own fortune as an interior designer. They comforted each other after the ones they loved dumped them but he was still thinking…could the convenience of her relationship with Chae Won be equated with love?