Special Episode 3

Playful Kiss/ Mischievous Kiss

Light shines through a canopy of trees in a beautiful forest. The camera pans down to Ha Ni, blissfully sleeping on the lap of Seung Jo on a park bench. Her husband cajoles her to wake up, telling Ha Ni that he has something for her. She says that she can’t wake up, she’s too tired.

Her hubby tells her that she has to wake up, he has a present for her. Seung Jo brings a giant peach to her lips, telling Ha Ni that she has to accept it. Ha Ni glimpses the peach, and says that it’s just a peach, the roadside stands are full of peaches. But she opens her lips to take a bite.

Ha Ni wakes up in the bedroom, trying to gnaw on teddy’s furry paw. She spits out tufts of teddy fur, and sees Seung Jo is all ready for school. He asks if she’s that hungry that she wants to eat her teddy? Ha Ni says she suddenly wants to eat a peach, and Seung Jo tells her to forget about peaches and get ready for school.

Didn’t Ha Ni say that she has a busy afternoon with nursing training? Ha Ni replies that she’s not feeling well, and has an urge to throw up. Seung Jo asks her what she ate yesterday, and Ha Ni replies that she went to Min Ah’s birthday party. He tells her that Mom will have breakfast ready, so Ha Ni should come down shortly.

At breakfast, Mom is eating an orange and exclaims that it’s so sour! Ha Ni confesses that she had a dream that Seung Jo gave her a peach and now she wants a peach. Then Ha Ni declines to eat any breakfast, and instead goes for a sour orange to eat. Mom asks her what’s wrong, and is told that Ha Ni has an upset stomach and doesn’t feel like eating anything except this orange.

Mom asks if Ha Ni feels like throwing up, and then takes a giant leap over the Grand Canyon of logic and says that Ha Ni must be pregnant! Ha Ni is amused, but doesn’t refute that possibility. Mom runs off to broadcast this news to the entire world.

Mom calls Min Ah and tells her to take good care of Ha Ni from now on. Min Ah calls Joo Ri and shares the news, and both are super proud of and happy for their good friend. Mom also calls Parang to inform the teacher of Ha Ni’s absence due to her current state.

The news travels faster than a speeding bullet, and pretty soon Seung Jo hears murmurs all around him. The students are tittering with shock that another student is pregnant, regardless of whether she’s married. Or more like they are imagining Baek Seung Jo knocking up his wife the way we constantly are calling for more boating.

Ha Ni is wondering how Seung Jo will react to becoming a dad, and she’s overjoyed at becoming a mom. She tells Min Ah and Joo Ri that the baby appears to be moving already in her belly. Perhaps it’s a genius like Seung Jo, and will be born already knowing the multiplication tables.

Her friends warn her that the baby runs an equal chance of being a genius or a dimwit. Ha Ni agrees, the baby needs to have Seung Jo’s brains. But she wants the baby to look like her. Her friends disagree, the baby should look like Seung Jo, too. In fact, the baby should have nothing in common with Ha Ni. They keep shoving food at Ha Ni, telling her she needs to keep eating for the baby.

Seung Jo comes home from school to a shower of confetti. Min Ah and Joo Ri congratulate him and drag him into the living room. Mom and Dad have raided a department store and every conceivable baby item has been purchased. Mom bought only pink things, and she wants the first grandchild to be a daughter. Dad bought all boy toys, and says the first grandchild is clearly going to be a boy. These two take jumping-the-gun to a whole new level.

Eun Jo chimes in that is the baby is a girl, she’ll be just like his sister-in-law Oh Ha Ni. He doesn’t want that, one Ha Ni is enough for him. Seung Jo asks if Ha Ni is pregnant. She replies that Mom thinks so, and because, well, you know, it could happen because they, uhm, are like really married, no?

Seung Jo pours an entire lake of cold water over this ridiculous party – he asks what kind of morons would assume to be pregnant without confirming first. Seung Jo drags Ha Ni to the hospital for a pregnancy test. During the car ride, Ha Ni tells him they need to buy a car seat, and perhaps change to a bigger car.

When he tells her to be quiet, Ha Ni gets upset and tells him that the baby can hear his less-than-enthusiastic response. Seung Jo asks her to be quiet again, and she tells him that during this early stage, the baby is very vulnerable. His attitude could cause her to have a miscarriage. They end the car ride in silence.

At the hospital, the doctor confirms she is 100% NOT pregnant. Ha Ni wonders then why her stomach feels upset and gurgling. The doctor pretty much tells her she has too much stuff in her belly and prescribes a laxative to help her relieve her constipation. He reassures them that they are yet young, and a baby will be forthcoming in the future. (Blew up the screencap below, because I just love it – everytime they are on that balcony they have the loveliest of conversations)

Back at home, Mom and Dad sadly put away all the baby items. Eun Jo is secretly looking at baby videos on Youtube and smiling about it, so he’s clearly getting ready to be an uncle. Ha Ni is sad that she let everyone down, but Seung Jo tells her it’s not her fault that Mom jumped to conclusions.

Seung Jo reassures Ha Ni that a baby will be coming not far in the future. Ha Ni says that she’s really looking forward to a baby, a baby just like Seung Jo. Surprisingly, Seung Jo says he wants a baby like Ha Ni – with a flattened forehead and sleepy eyes, not bad at all. Ha Ni thinks he’s just teasing her, especially since he reaches over and taps her forehead.

Even though he wants the baby to be like Ha Ni, he doesn’t want the baby to have Ha Ni’s brains. But he concludes by saying that a baby like Ha Ni would make his daddy-life quite interesting. He then scoops up Ha Ni and says that the baby is coming soon. He carries his wifey to bed, and kicks their bedroom door shut.