Chapter Three: A Saturday

Always By You [Discontinued Until Further Notice]

It was a Saturday and Yoonjoo walked around the house aimlessly and bored while Daehyun stayed cooped up in his room like always. Yoonjoo didn't have work on Saturdays and so she tried to find something to occupy her, considering Daehyun probably wasn't a choice.  She walked into the kitchen suddenly hungry and looked through the fridge and all of the cabinets. There was nothing except for a few random ingredients that were probably already expired since Yoonjoo never really used them. Then, she pulled a box out from under the table and sighed depressingly.

"Hmm...there's no more ramyun." She thought for a second before a light bulb shined over her head and she ran upstairs with a smile. Daehyun was definitely an option now.

 

 

When she got out of her bedroom, she was wearing a plain, loose green sweater with sweats. She also wore a long black scarf that covered up half of her face and carried her light brown bag that slung over her upper body. She slowly walked over to Daehyun's room and stood there for a second, hesitating what she wanted to do. After contemplating with herself, she softly knocked on Daehyun's door as she squeezed her eyes shut. She heard a few ruffles before a click and the door opening.

"What?" Daehyun asked monotonously. At first, she was shocked that he had even opened the door but it quickly vanished when she realized that she had just stood there for the past minute or so staring at him like an idiot. Yoonjoo put on her best smile and looked up at him.

"I need to go to the store. Will you come with me?" She asked with a twinkle in her eye, hoping he'd agree.

"No." Daehyun said and Yoonjoo's shoulders deflated. He was about to close the door before Yoonjoo put her feet in between the crack.

She pouted as she talked, "Come on, Daehyun. I can't go by myself. There are dangerous people out there, you know. What if they stole all of our money?" Daehun cringed a little at that. It wasn't even his money but she always referred it as 'our'.

"Then, we wouldn't be able to live because we can't pay the bills and the people will come after us, endlessly calling us every single—"

"Fine. Just stop talking." Daehyun said as he went back into his room. Yoonjoo smiled and pumped her fist in the air. Of course, Daehyun could've just closed the door on her but Yoonjoo knew what really crossed his mind in the midst of listening to her.

Pshh. Oppa still cares about me. She couldn't help but smile even wider. 

 

 

Yoonjoo and Daehyun were side-by-side as they walked to the grocery store. It had been nearby and so they didn't need to take the bus or anything. Yoonjoo smiled widely as she closed her eyes and stretched her arms outward, feeling the fresh breeze that came by even though it was freezing cold.

"Ah!" Yoonjoo suddenly yelled out as she looked at what Daehyun was wearing and realized something. He only wore a t-shirt with a thin jacket and denim jeans. She searched through her bag and found the extra scarf she had stuffed into her bag before they left because Yoonjoo knew that Daehyun wouldn't have dressed warmly. She slowly took it out and put it around Daehyun's neck as fast as she could. He stared at her in mild shock and she laughed.

"Whatever." Daehyun said nonchalantly as he continued walking as so did Yoonjoo. He hadn't looked or felt cold but she just wanted to make sure that he wouldn't get sick or anything.

"Winter's here already, Daehyun, and so you need to start dressing warmer." Yoonjoo said lovingly as she tried to fix the scarf on him. He didn't reply but Yoonjoo still smiled anyway.

Soon, they reached the grocery store and Yoonjoo grabbed a cart for them. Yoonjoo, of course, rolled it along while Daehyun walked leisurely beside her. She grabbed a few stuff into the cart, half consisting of instant and frozen food since she wasn't very good at cooking. There was instant ramyun, instant rice, instant curry, etc. The other half consisted of junk food and snacks.

Yoonjoo tapped her chin and thought for a moment. "Maybe I should grab some fruits..." She mumbled as she rolled the cart towards the fruit section. Daehyun had stopped following Yoonjoo by now, looking at cheesecakes. He crouched down and closed his eyes. He began to think of a moment when he was here before.

 

 

Daehyun was about 8 years old and Yoonjoo was 7. Daehyun's mom had taken Yoonjoo and him to the store since she was babysitting both of them and Daehyun was whining and crying because she wouldn't get cheesecake for him. When they arrived there, however, Daehyun was smiling brightly as he looked for one that he liked. Yoonjoo stood by his side as they held hands, copying him and happily peering through. Then, she looked at him and giggled before copying him again. Daehyun's mom chuckled as she looked at them. They were so adorable!

When they got their cheesecake, Daehyun didn't waste anytime and began digging into it, eating most of it. His mom didn't mind as much but she felt bad that Yoonjoo barely got to eat any, even thugh she knew Yoonjoo didn't mind much either being used to it already. Yoonjoo spent so much time with him that she already knew how he was. Plus, she loved him too much to actually care.

"Umma?" Daehyun tugged on his mother's sleeve. Yoonjoo froze and listened to what he was going to say.

"Yes, honey?"

"Next time..." He let out a goofy smile, "Let's get two!"

There was a pause before they all erupted out laughing.

 

 

He felt like he could feel his mother's presence.

"Daehyun?" A voice called out. Daehyun's heart leaped.

"Daehyun..." He felt warm.

A hand was placed onto his shoulder. Mom. The words naturally slipped into his mind.

Daehyun opened his eyes when he was suddenly being shook. He turned around and saw Yoonjoo staring at him.

"What were you doing?" Yoonjoo asked. Daehyun's face dimmed and she furrowed her eyebrows, confused.

He got up and turned to her. "What do you want?"

"Oh," Yoonjoo seemed surprised for a moment before she went back to her usual self, smiling. "I'm done shopping."

She stared at the cheesecake displays behind him and asked, "Do you want any cheesecakes? I know you like them. I'll buy them for you."

A glare was his only reply and he left. Yoonjoo stood there for a while before she finally realized what happened.

"Wait for me, Daehyun!" She called out, running after him.

 

 

When they got home, the first thing Daehyun did was walk to his room while Yoonjoo fumbled with the grocery bags, walking into a wall in the process. She set the grocery on the counter and began organizing everything.

"Daehyun! Is there anything you want me to cook for you?" Yoonjoo yelled out in the midst of putting the eggs into the fridge. She waited a few seconds for a reply but there was none. "Hmm. He probably didn't hear me."

Of course he did. Daehyun always heard Yoonjoo from downstairs. He just chose not to reply. He didn't like Yoonjoo very much. He didn't like this house very much either. But Daehyun didn't know what was holding him back from moving out. Maybe it was the fact that his parents used to favor Yoonjoo, or because Yoonjoo's grandmother was kind enough to take him. Or maybe it was because he simply just couldn't leave Yoonjoo.

No. Daehyun shook his head. Song Yoonjoo's not worth it.

A knock on the door drew Daehyun out of his thoughts. He got off the bed and walked towards the door. He was about to open it but his hand only managed to linger around the doorknob.

"Daehyun? Are you in there?" Yoonjoo asked. She placed her ear on the door but she didn't hear a single sound. She scratched her head in confusion. "Daehyun? Are you asleep? I'm going to start making lunch. Do you have anything in mind that you'd like?" She asked again. Still, no reply. Yoonjoo sighed before she trudged downstairs to the kitchen.

"Whether you want it or not, I'm gonna cook you something." Yoonjoo said, determined, as she took out the carton of eggs she just bought. She was worried Daehyun wouldn't like her food because she couldn't cook well but it was scrambled egg so what could go wrong?

After cooking the eggs and putting it on a plate, she took a step to look at what she made and she winced. The scrambled eggs she made were a bit burnt but still edible and still tasted like any average scrambled eggs. It wasn't that bad but Yoonjoo never thought anything was good enough for Daehyun. It was a little perfectionist thing she had.

I'm so ashamed. She hung her head before sighing and covering the plate. She wrote a quick note and placed it on top of the covered eggs. Yoonjoo yawned and looked up at the clock hanging on the living room. 12:36 pm, it read. Waking up at 6 am is a drag. A nap wouldn't be too bad. 

And with that, Yoonjoo walked upstairs into her room, plopping down on her bed.

 

 

At 1:15, Daehyun got out of his room for food, hoping Yoonjoo wouldn't pounce onto him or something. To Daehyun's surprise, Yoonjoo wasn't downstairs but he didn't want to wonder where she was. He looked at the kitchen table and walked towards it. When he saw a note, he took it in his hand.

'Don't forget to eat your lunch! I made this for you. Sorry it's not that great.'

Daehyun sighed and crumpled the note. He dumped it in the trash before grabbing the plate, preparing to throw the scrambled eggs away too.

 

 

Yoonjoo woke up at around 5 pm and gasped. Gosh, I took such a long nap. 

She hit her head and complained to herself. She wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. She got out of bed with a yawn before heading to the kitchen to do the dishes, suddenly giddy from the thought of Daehyun actually eating her food. When she appeared in the kitchen, she found a note on the empty plate.

'I ate it.'

That was all that was written there but Yoonjoo couldn't help the smile that began to spread on her face.

 


[End of Chapter 3]

Author's Note:

*sobs* I didn't update in a long time again ; A ;

Thanks for reading this crappy fanfic! I love you ♥

If there are any mistakes, please inform me ^ ^

P.S. I'm probably not going to update for a while again. Brain Fart.

P.P.S. I added a theme song. It's on the Foreword so check it out. I just recently heard of it, thanks to L.Joe (I praise you, boy.), and I love it! I think it matches Daehyun in the story.

 

"You're My XOXO L.O.V.E."

                - Tao / Kai