WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN

When the Sun goes Down

“Ya! Min!” I called out as I roamed through the hallways of the mansion looking for her.

Why did this place have to be so freaking big?
 
Of course I knew why, we all live here.
 
I guess it would be helpful if I explained myself a little more, huh?
 
Well then, let me begin.
 
I'm from Seoul, South Korea and as much as people would like for you to think that it's all rainbows and butterflies, I'm here to tell you that it's not. You have absolutely no idea of what goes on just below the surface. Beyond the perfect picture the media and our government has painted for the rest of the world tosadmire, is a dark, stained canvas that only the ones who live here know about.
 
If you don't acquaint yourself with the right people... then you might just end up dead. 
 
Fortunately for me, at 10 years old I was given to the Hwang family. They took me in and cared for me like one of their own, kept me safe and out of trouble. They taught me right from wrong as well as the importance of having morals, values and principles. If it weren't for them I probably would be off in a ditch somewhere. There were others like myself, about a dozen more, ranging in the ages of 10-16. 
 
We each had our own room and were given chores and resposibilities. We had to attend classes, much like school and were treated like we were a part of a family. This is our family.
 
From a young age I was given self-defense classes in hand-to-hand combat and martial arts. At the same time I was also taught not to abuse my power and to treat everyone with the same kindness and respect I was raised with. If you hadn't noticed by now, the Hwang Family is a group of vigilantes. We keep the peace in Seoul and assit the officers in protecting the city.
 
At 14 I began my training in weapons. We had the option to choose between blades, guns, and blunt objects, but I wasn't a fan of weapons. I wanted to be able rely on my strength, quick wits and agility. Having to hold on to a weapon would just slow me down.
 
I met Min when I was 11, only a year after I arrived. She was only 9 then. 
 
The first and only child, she lived in an entirely different wing, separated from the rest of us.
 
I was assigned to be her personal body guard and we became close friends because of it.
 
"Come out already! You know how much I hate this stupid game."
 
I continued looking, but the mansion was just too exhaggeratingly big.
 
Though now that I think about it, it looked even bigger when I first got here.
 
I remembered coming in through the door the first time; It looked like an entirely different world back then. With it's black and white tiles, red carpets and drapes, wood and marbel interior, high ceilings and flashy chandeliers, this place was first class... and still is.
 
The house was divided into four floors, counting the basement, with the top floor being divided into three wings: the north, the east and the west. The basement floor was where he had the weapons room, training room, and gym. Each of the rooms lived up to their names. Found on the first floor was the kitchen, ballroom and dining room area. The ballroom was a large, open and circular area where we would normally throw our parties and banquets. The second floor was the living area, library, and study. In the study we had our classes, the library held hundreds of books of all kinds and the living area was where we could relieve stress. On the third floor was the meeting room, surveilance room and the boss' office. The top, fourth floor was where our rooms were.
 
Right now I had doubled back to the second floor where I had originally started.
 
Min and I had been in the study looking over our classwork from this afternoon when she stepped out to go use the bathrom. She had already been gone about twenty minutes and each floor had about two bathrooms, except for the fourh which had one in each of the 18 rooms, so there was no reason for her to be taking this long.
 
I eventually grew suspicious and went out to find her. After searching a few times I was beginning to get annoyed. Her playful nature always managed to give me a hard time.
 
"BOO!" Min yelled out as she jumped out from behind one of the large bookcases in the library.
 
"Yah, how old are you?" I stood looking at her crossly as she straightened up and pouted.
 
"Five. How old are you?"
 
I scoffed, "You can't keep going off like that."
 
She placed her hands on her hips and stared at me with narrowed eyes, "Oppa, you're really no fun."
 
"I'm not suppose to be," I shrugged it off. 
 
"Fine, if you're gonna be like that then I'll just leave."
 
As she turned to walk away, I don't know what came over me as my hand instinctively reached out and grabbed onto hers.
 
She stopped in her place and turned to look at me, her expression becoming soft as the light reflected off of her chocolate brown eyes.
 
I immediatley let go and bowed in forgiveness, "I'm sorry, Miss." 
 
I had to remember my place here in the family. I was merely her guardian and needed to respect her at all times. I owed it to the family's head, her Father.
 
"Tae, I-" She began but was immediately interrupted when another one of the families suboordinates, Minho walked in. I was actually relieved, I didn't want to know what she was going to say. It was better that way, for the both of us.
 
"There you two are." 
 
He came over with his usual chipper self and stood in front of us, "I've been looking all over the place. Tae, we're being called in."
 
"Alright. Let's go."
 
Without looking back at Min, I walked out of the room, with Minho following close behind.
 
"See ya little Miss," I heard him say as we walked out the door.
 
We got to the meeting room on the third floor above us and took our places around the table.
 
Just like how I was dressed, everyone else was dressed in black uniform suits, altered to each persons own unique taste and style.
 
I rolled my blazer up over my white tucked-out, button-down shirt. The button's loosened slightly at the top. Instead of dress shoes I wore black combat boots which I found to be more fitting for the type of work I do. I accessorised with a belt, attached to it was a chain that connected the cross-shaped buckle to the back portion of the belt.
 
Casual conversation began as we waited for the meeting to start.
 
"So what were you two doing in the library?" Minho asked in a low voice as we sat at the table.
 
"Studying."
 
He snickered, "Right."
 
A few short moment's later, all grew quiet as the head of the household walked in. Simultaneously, everyone in the room stood and bowed. With a simple flick of the hand he signaled us to take our seats and we did, right after he took his.
 
He wore a white suit with a black button-down shirt tucked inside of his pants. He was large in size and stauture, talk and muscular, an image fit for the head of the Hwang family.
 
"As you all may or may not know..." He began in his rough and raspy voice. "Min's birthday is coming soon. We're going to have to increase the security on that day. I don't want any one getting any ideas."
 
"Yes sir!"
 
That's right. It would be her birthday soon.
 
I had contemplate getting her something once before but... It just never happened. 
 
Finally, the other day, as I went off to go do my rounds in the Hongdae area of Seoul, I saw a locket in the window of a small antique shop. Without thinking I went in and bought it.
 
After the meeting was over, we were dismissed. 
 
I headed to the backyard which was my favorite place to go to. Directly outside of the back door was the patio area, wide and open with the pool to my right and a small guest house to the left. Staight out was the gazebo, a pleace where we would often have family breakfast or lunch. To the far west of the gazebo was the greenhouse, where the lady of the house would often be. And to the east was the pond garden, where Min spends most of her time. I was on my way there now.
 
The garden was slighlty hidden in a lightly wooden area in the outskirts of the mansion. Following the cobble-stone path, I could hear the sound of the stream running into the pond as the birds sang in harmony. The smell of orchid and cherry blossoms fragranced the entire area as I got closer to it.  
 
"The meeting's over?" She didn't even look over at me. It was incredible how she already knew it was me without even looking.
 
I smiled and placed my hand in my pockets, "Yeah, it's over."
 
She looked over at me finally, "That was quick. I'm surprise my dad didn't have you guys in there for hours."
 
She was beautiful. Dressed in a short,  flowing, light-pink dress. Her dark brown hair straight and long, down passed her shoulders. 
 
"He wasn't as talkative today."
 
"Lucky for you. You know, you can sit if you want to."
 
I sighed and headed off towards her so that I could sit beside her on a small wooden bench.
 
"What was the meeting about this time?"
 
"Your birthday."
 
"Doubling up security, I see."
 
I sighed, there was nothing I could say to ease her mind. Min was very aware of our work. She understood we protected the city but that didn't mean she accepted the danger we put ourselves in everyday to maintain that order.
 
Maintaining our safe haven was a double edge sword, there were bound to people who would exact their revenge and rebelle.
 
No one liked being told what to do or how to do it. This brought about rebel groups that sought to take us down, using any means necessary. We had to keep our guard up... always.
 
Min caught on to the way I was lost in my thoughts, "Don't you ever get tired of it?"
 
I looked over at her. Her eyes usually filled of joy and optimism had turned dismal.
 
It reminded me just how out of place Min seems to be here sometimes. But even then, if it weren't for her kind and caring nature, I think some of us, including myself, would have lost their way long ago. She helps keep us in balance, prevents us from becoming corrupt, makes us forget about every difficult thing we've ever had to face. Though she seems out of place, we need her here. I need her here.
 
"I have my reasons for being here."
 
She must have sensed the decisiveness in my voice in not wanting to explain any further, when she didn't ask any more questions. Instead we both sat there staring silently into the pond in front of us.
 
Some of the blossoms from the cherryblossom tree had fallen into the water, giving it an ethereal beauty as they drifted around in a seemingly synchronized pattern. The vibrant greenery surrounding us made it feel as if we were in a faraway and enchanted place. Being with her like this felt made me feel both tense and relaxed all at once.
 

I headed back into my room later that night after having dinner. 

I dropped down on my bed at laid out across it, looking up at the ceiling. 

My mind continuously kept reverting back to the garden.

Don't you ever get tired of it?

Her words continued echoing in my head. Of course I get tired of it, I'm always tired of it but then I think about it. I owe it to this family, and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy being able to protect the innocent. I'd also be lying if I didn't say...

Min was the reason I continue to endure it all.

My chest felt heavy and my heart began to ache.

In the end, as much as I wanted to sound noble, I knew my reasons were far from it. They were actually very selfish. I just never had the heart to admit it so straightforwardly. Not to her... not to anyone.

"Is there a reason you were so despondent during dinner?"

The familiar voice made me jump up immediately.

"Lady Hwang."

Min's mother was stainding before me by the doorway. She was absolutely stunning, the mirror image of Min. There were only slight differences between them, like how Min's eyes were slightly larger, her lips fuller, and her hair, pin straight in contrast to Lady Hwang who has wavy hair. The similarities on the other hand were much more abundant. Their chocolate colored eyes, milky skin, pink cheeks, dark brown hair, and slender figures made them radiate even among the brightest of stars.

"Taemin-ah, what's bothering you?" She spoke gently as she motioned for me to take a seat as she sat on a vanity chair across from me.

Lady Hwang had always been like a mother to me, the closest thing to a mother I had ever known.

"Just thinking about things."

She sighed slightly, "Do you remember when you first arrived here? How shy and apprehensive you were?"

"I didn't want to talk to anybody. I just wanted to stay in my room all day."

"That's right. Do you remember what it was that made you open up to the rest of us?"

How could I forget. Of course it was Min. It's always Min.

"Do you want to play with me?"

Visisting a faraway memory, I reverted back to when I was 10. I was laying on my bed, much like how I was right now, when the thin bell-like voice of a child rang across the room. I had just arrived to the house and immediately hid away in my room as soon as I was showed to it.

I sat up and looked over at the doorway, where a girl, no older than myself, stood. She was beautiful, her hair was only up to her neck back than and she wore a light purple dress. I became shy almost instantly and to hide my embarassment, I spoke in a colder tone than I should have.

"I'm busy." 

She looked at me, but to my surprise there was no hint of anger or sadness, "But... you're just sitting here in your room. Aren't you bored?"

I turned and faced my back to her, "No."

"Oh," I could sense the disappointment in her voice. "Well then, here."

I was caught of guard when she came towards me and handed to me what, at first, appeared to be a panda bear plush toy. It wasn't until I flipped it over that I realized it's face wasn't that of a panda's but of a skull.  "What's this?"

"Cham Cham," She spoke casually as if it was obvious.

I raised my brow in disbelief, "Cham Cham?"

The soft smile never escaped her lips as she looked at me with eyes that sparkled in the light.

"He'll make you feel better."

"R-really?" This thing.

"Mhm," She agreed as she nodded her head. "He doesn't look like much, but Cham Cham has the power to bring happiness to anyone who needs it."

I looked at the stuff toy in my hand, "Happiness."

I had yet to really accept this as my new home, I still felt out of place. My parents had passed away only several months before, so the pain was still fresh. My heart wasn't ready to take any more disappointment. I was afraid that once I would settle in, I would get pulled out. It didn't help that when the sudden news of my parents death hit me, I spiralled out of control and started acting out. I thought that would especially put others off. I was already a closed off person and happiness felt like a distant emotion I would never be able to reach. Slowly but surely, though, as I held the little doll in my hand, with the presence of the girl beside me,  it started to feel like happiness was becoming more of  a possibility for me.

"So what's your name? I'm Min," She gave a slight bow and awaited my answer.

"T-Taemin," I studdered nervously, taken aback by how cute she was.

She pointed over at the little doll in my hand, "You can keep Cham Cham for now."

"Don't you want him back?"

"I don't need him right now. You can give him to me once you feel better."

With the same breathtaking smile, she turned and headed back out the door, and as I sat alone in my room, Cham Cham in hand, I wondered when I would be able to see her again.

"I see you're lost in your thoughts," Lady Hwang spoke softly, making me snap back to reality.

"Yes, I'm sorry."

"No reason to be. I know how difficult it's been for you and I understand that you've always been introverted, I accept it."

I scoffed slightly, "I always thought it was a bad habbit."

She smiled and place her soft hand, lightly on my shoulder, "Everyone has their own personalities, no need to be ashamed of yours."

It was always clear to me where Min got her kind-hearted nature from.

"Lady Hwang."

She got up from her chair in one elegant and graceful motion and I followed, immediately standing up as well, "Well, I just wanted to make sure everything was okay with you."

"Yes, everything is."

"Good, as long as you're okay."

As she started for the door, I decided to finally ask her about something that had been on my mind for a while now.

"Um, Lady Hwang?"

"Yes, Taemin?"

I took a breath, "You don't think anyone would actually hurt Min, do you?"

She smiled as if she had discovered something.

"I know that as long you are around, Min is safe. No need to worry, okay? I'll be going now."

"Okay. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."


"You wanted to see me, sir?"

I stood now in the boss' office. I was told by Onew, one of the other members, that the President had summoned me for a private meeting with him.

"Oh Taemin, yes. I'm glad you came."

He motioned for me to take a seat as he adjusted his suit and sat down as well.

"Look, I'm going to get right t othe point on this. There's no one in this world I trust more than you to take care of my daughter, so I want you to be on high alert tonight and stay close to Min. Okay?"

"Yes sir, I won't let you down."

Tonight was the night of Min's birthday party and there was only about 4 hours left until the event. I hadn't seen her all day so my anxiety was only becoming worse with each and every passing moment.

Our relationship had become a little strained since the other day, so little things like just approaching her were starting to become a difficult and awkward task for me. I had become a nervous wreck and I hated showing such a weak and vulnerable side to myself but in doing that I began avoiding her and I knew it was starting to bother her.

And now there was only two hours left. I headed up to my room and began getting ready. My all-black suit for tonight was already laid out for me on my my bed.

After getting dressed and ready, I headed down to the ballroom where the party had already started taking place.

"Yo, Tae!" Minho waved over at me from across the room in order to get my attention.  He was dressed in a formal suit similar to mine, except with a royal-blue button-down shirt underneath the black blazer and black tie to match. I walked over to where he stood and noticed Junhyung, one of the older hyungs, standing beside him.

"You're finally here." Jonghyun, was known to be the real agressor of the group so of course he wore a crimson colored tie over a black button-down shirt and black dress pants. Instead of dress shoes, he wore his black combat boots and a thick black belt with a skull buckle.

"Hey," I greeted them as I finally reached over to where they were and stood with them.

"Yah, what took you so long?" I heard a voice come from behind Minho. I didn't even have to look to see who it was.

Onew, the oldest hyung, was standing behind them, posted up in front of the buffet table eating what I assumed to be something chicken related. He was dressed in the classic penguin look and I had to fight against the urge to make fun of him.

"You think looking that good doesn't take time? Why are you wearing all black, by the way? Going to a funeral?" Another member, nicknamed Key, joined us in the middle of the conversation. He was dressed similar to Jonghyun, only more clean cut. With no combat boots, belts or chains, and a hot-pink tie instead of red.

I scoffed at their sarcasm."Funny," I looked around for a moment, scanning every face in the crowd. "Has Min showed up yet?" 

"Nah, not yet." Minho was the one who asnwered as he gave me a comforting look. He was the closest one to me and therefor he somewhat had an understanding of my situtation. Though I would never admit to it, I knew he already suspected of me having feelings for Min.

"She should be out soon though," Onew continued stuffing his face as he spoke with his mouth full. 

Classy guy.

But right when he said that, all grew silent and still, as everyone's head turned in one direction. Coming down from the large staircase was the boss and Lady Hwang. My heart stopped momentarily as my eyes fell on the center of everyone's attention.

In between the two of them was Min, as they led her gracefully down the stairs. She looked absolutely stunning. Breathtaking as always. It was then that I realized why I was wearing all black. They had me match Min. 

She was wearing a dark blue-green and black dress which touched the floor slightly. Her hair was in loose curls as the top half of it was pulled back by a pin of sorts. I really had no idea about these things. 

Once she reached the bottom of the stairs, her parents gave a speech leading us into a toast. I tired hard to take my eyes off of her but nothing prepared me for this day. I was captivated by her, the same way I was all those years ago.

"How do I look?" Min's bell-like voice rang in my ear as she came up from behind me. Who knows how long I had been daydreaming that I didn't even realize she was there.

I smiled at her, my eyes admiring her natural beauty. Her pink stained lips and cheeks sending a wave of warmth throughout me. How I longed for the day I could hold her in my arms,"You look beautiful." 

"Thank you," She looked down at her hands, a habit she normally did when she was feeling nervous or shy. She gazed back up at me with eyes that could bore a hole in my soul, "Would you come with me somewhere?"

I felt a wave of uneasiness as my heart pounded against my chest "Sure."

As the guest were entertained by the music, food, or good conversation, Min led me towards the gazebo outside of the mansion.

"What are we doing all the way out here?"

"I felt a little... overwhelmed in there."

"I know what you mean."

"Besides, I kind of prefer it out here. It's quiet and..."

"There's only us."

She caught me with her hypnotizing gaze and once she did, I was trapped. She held me there as she leaned in closer to me. Without even thinking, I moved in as well, closing the distance between us. Our lips locked and it was like all of the air was punched out of me. My right hand wrapped around her waist as the other instictively caressed the back of her neck. The kiss grew more intense, more passionate as I pulled her up closer against me. But the deeper we went into the kiss the more I began to think of my responsibilities to the family. I stiffened and she noticed as she slowly backed away from me.

I was breathless, "This is a mistake, I don't thin-"

"A mistake?" She whispered in disbelief, interrupting me mid sentence. She hadn't let me finish so she had misunderstood what I was trying to say.

"That's not what I meant, Min if you could just let me explain-" I tried hard to explain myself, to make her understand but I already knew that I had made a mistake. Min's sweet nature left her open to heartbreak and from the way that I went about it, it was only natural that she would react that way.

I went to grab her hand but she pulled it away from me and stood there looking down at the ground.

"Then explain this," Her words were but a whisper now. "Just what do you value more, me... or the family?"

My head formed the answer to her question but my mouth struggled to relay the message. 

Say it. Just say it! Why couldn't I say it?

She finally looked up at me and I could why she was trying to avoid it. Sliding down her cheek was a single, silent tear. My heart grew heavy, it burned inside me chest before she turned and stormed away from me. There was so much I wanted to tell her, but I'd never been so confused. I owed it to the family. I live to protect her but I can't afford to let personal feelings get in the way of my job. I also didn't know how the family would take it. Would they be made? Would they send me somewhere or assign someone new to her? I couldn't risk any of that. 

As I watched her run away, I decided not to chase after her. We both needed time to think.

Long after the kiss, my mind was still lost in space. I still hadn't been able to catch my breath and my heart was racing.

Did that just happened? I wondered.

I began to walk aimlessly around the yard wondering how I should go about fixing this. Was it already to late to be fixed? Had the damage already been done? I wasn't sure but I had to do something.

As I continued walking around, I heard something coming from the front gates. 

"HELP!" 

Min.

That was her voice, it had to be.

I darted towards the direction of the front gate and in the distance saw Min being thrown into the back of a black van. I ran faster as I saw this. I had to protect Min, at any cost.

I chased it into the dark streets before it accelerated and vanished in the darkness.


In a flash, I felt what seemed to be a brick get thrown against my face.

"MinSoo."

Lady Hwang spoke the boss' first name in shock.

I stood in the center of the Boss' office and my jaw was throbbing. It felt like it would come apart just by talking. But I couldn't look up at anyone. I was ashamed, and disappointed. I wasn't in the position to face anyone right now. I deserved getting punch in the face. I had let them get away... with Min.

"Taemin..." The Boss spoke softly, trying hard not to break into tears. "Get her back. You have to get her back."

I nodded, "I will, sir."

I was determined to bring her back and I would.

"President Hwang, I have the information you wanted, sir."

Onew came through the door handing a manilla folder to the Boss.

"Where is she?" He asked as he opened the file, skimming through the documents.

"They're holding her in a warehouse near downtown Seoul."

"How many?"

"Not much. It's a small gang, not one of the rebel families."

"Okay, good." He then turned his attention back to me, "Taemin, I want you to go in alone. Infiltrate it and bring back Min."

"Alone? But sir-" Onew began to protest before he was cut off.

"He needs to do this. I trust him."

He looked at me, placing his arms encouragingly on my shoulder, "You're the only one who can do this. If anyone else goes with you, it will only draw unnecessary ttention. Attention we don't need, especially from other rebel families who will take advantage of the chaos. There's a few there now... but we don't know just how big this gang truly is. I need you to take them out before they can call anyone else."

"I understand, sir."

"Bring her back."

With the information they gave me, I headed for the weapons room. On my way there I ran into Lady Hwang. I looked down immediately, evading all eye contact.

"It wasn't your fault, you know? You should stop beating yourself up about it."

Her voice was as soft and gentle as always. No trace of anger or blame but it still didn't make me feel better. If anything I felt worse. 

"I should have been with her. That was my job and I failed."

"Taemin, I know how you feel about her and I know how much this is eating you up but it's okay. Just save her."

"Yes, my lady."


 

It was colder than most days but I knew this was the only way to save her.

I was standing just outside the warehouse were Min was being held captive.

I had come all the way out here, alone, with no time to second guess myself. 

I'm past the point of no return and I can't go back.

I don't want to go back.

Not without her alive.

That was my motivation as I started towards the back of the building. There was no one keeping guard outside, probably because they didn't want to draw any attention to themselves.

I scoffed, Amateurs.

I did count two snipers on the roof though, but those would be easy to take out, especially since snipers tend to not look away from the scope. I would have to move swiftly and take advantage of that.

I climbed up the side ladder and snuck my way onto the roof, moving silently towards the first sniper.  Luckily for me there was a blind spot in between the two, so the second sniper on the opposite side couldn't see us.

I had brought two guns with me for just-in-case purposes but I wasn't intending on using them, not now especially, it would give me away. I had to do this as covertly as possible.

With the blunt end of one of my pistols, I managed to hit him in a spot just between the neck and head which proved not to be fatal. It was a technique that we used when we didn't feel like going lethal. Instead it would just knock them out for a while, buying me enough time to get in, get Min and get out, without them even noticing.

After he was down I quietly made my way over to the second sniper, who was just as oblivious as the first. With the handle of my gun I did the same thing, knocking him unconscious.

Not that they were over and done with I headed through the door on the roof, going to a flight of stairs before reaching the upper level of the warehouse. Again, it was clear. Biggest mistake they made was putting too much dependence on the two snipers.

I could see on the floor level about, four guys walking around with semi-automatic weapons. Not too bad considering that I had to take them out by myself.

I scanned the room but couldn't find Min. 

Did they move her? No, this place is too heavily guarded. If she wasn't here then they wouldn't have wasted there time adding snipers on watch. 

Just then I heard a door slam open. It was Min accompanied by three other guys, two of them holding automatic weapons. Making it a total of seven I had to deal with.

. Now this is gonna be a problem.

 I assumed the one leading them was the one in charge of this place.

"Boss when do we make the call?"

I assumed correctly.

"Soon. We can't move just yet. We can't let the Hwang Family know where we are."

A little too late for that.

Such a small inexperienced group, it was only natural they would feel that way. Only a small fraction of the family would wipe them out, no problem. They couldn't risk messing up.

They sat Min down on a chair inside of a small room with a window. I could see her perfectly, she was safe.

"You two go watch the door," The leader ordered pointing at the only two with automatic weapons.

Now? What idiots but it's better for me. Now that they're away, It'll buy me some time to take the others out before they start firing. In that room, Min will be safe, now's my chance.

I climbed down a side ladder, landing between a pile of boxes. Using them for cover as I ducked down and readied my pistols.

"You know... you guys are idiots."

I came out from behind the boxes, all guns pointed towards me.

"Who the hell are you?" The leader spoke as he grew more alert.

"Telling you my name won't matter," I scoffed as I prepared myself for the fight that was about to ensue.

"And why not?"

I sighed, "Because I plan on killing you tonight."

That should have been pretty obvious.

With a smug expression he quickly rebutted, "I think you're confused. You're outnumbered. The one that's going to die here tonight is you."

The bullets started flying as soon as he finished his sentence. I headed for the front door of the warehouse and closed them, locking it so that the two goons with the machine guns couldn't come in. As far as I was concerned the only other way in was the roof. It would buy me enough time to deal with these before dealing with them.

One of the goons came at me almost immediately, him being in such close proximity to me forced the others to stop shooting. I took advantage of this and kept him close as I disarmed him before he came back at me with a right hook. With my quick reflexes, I was able to dodge it before her threw in another punch. I dodged that one as well and countered with a roundhouse kick to the stomach, knocking all the wind out of him. As he collapsed on the floor, two more came at me.

I disarmed the one on the right and knocked him out with his own gun before I was er punched by the one on the left. I countered immediately, knocking his gun out of his hand before he lunged me against the back wall. I slammed hard against it but managed to stand up right on time to see him take a swing at me. I blocked the hit and countered with back-to-back punches before I finally managed to get a hit right against his jaw. This made him fall back as the last goon was able to point his gun towards me. I ran out of the way before he shot and missed me by a couple of seconds. I ran towards him and punched him in the gut once before punching him in the face. This made me believe he was the most inexperienced one out of all of them and got knocked out almost immediately. I was hit from behind and fell to the ground, a wave of pain washing over me. But I couldn't let them beat me. I dodged his kick and tripped him down, knocking him out with a kick to the face.

Now I was left with the leader. The other two idiots probably hadn't yet figured out how to open the roof door I had locked.

"Not smart to be unarmed, right?" 

We stood looking each other before he darted for one of the guns on the floor. I made it before him and kicked the gun out of the way. He straightened up and took a swing at me. I blocked and countered but he managed to dodge and back away, grabbing a thick piece of wood that was thrown on the floor. He came at me again, swinging the object around as he tried to get in a hit. I walked back evading every swing and quickly took cover behind one of the stone columns. He took a swing and broke the piece of wood in half. Taken aback by this, I crept up behind him and kicked him, slamming him against the column before I threw a couple of punches. He fell to the ground and groaned in pain before getting up again, his mouth covered in blood.

He stumbled slightly, struggling to keep his balance. "I thought you said you were going to kill me."

I sighed. We were only trained to kill killers, not petty offenders. "Idiots like you aren't worth killing."

This pissed him off as he came at me again but he was so out of it that one punch from me was all it took to knock him out and it did.

After the fight was over, I took a breath and looked over at the room. My heart droped as I saw that the glass had been shattered by stray bullets.

I ran over to the room and opened the door as fast as humanly possible.

Please be okay. Please be okay.

When I looked over, I saw her ducking down in the corner. I let out a sigh of relief as I started towards her, slowly, trying not to scare her.

"Min... are you okay?"

She looked up at me as soon as she heard my voice and began shedding tears of both joy and relief as soon as she saw me.

Her hair was a mess, dress torn and tattered. Not knowing what came over me, I immediately pulled her into my arms, wrapping them around her tightly as she came in close to me.

"I'm sorry, it wasn't fair of me to ask that," She whispered in my ear as I caressed her, appreciating everything about this moment. 

It surprised me though, that after everything that happened, she was still more concerned about that. I laughed and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"When you asked me whether I valued the family over you, my work over you, I hesitated because I thought the answer would have been obvious to you by now..."

She looked at me as the tears began to form in her eyes again, "Min, I choose you above everything else."

I kissed her lips and felt her relax in my arms.

Multiple shots from outside interrupted us, as the sound of the door breaking down made me push her behind me. I had forgotten about the two idiots outside with the machine guns. I took out my pistols and pointed them towards the door, waiting.

"Woah, woah. Don't shoot," I heard Minho say as he put his hands up in surrender.

With a sigh of relief I holstered my guns. 

Onew whistled, "I guess the boss was right. You didn't need our help."

Key came over to Min, "You guys okay?"

She nodded with a smile, "Yeah, we're fine."

"Good job, bro," Minho came over and patted me on the back.

Key put his coat over Min, "Well... let's get you two home."

"Yeah, we'll take care of this mass," Jonghyun smiled as started cuffing up the goons.

"Thanks guys."

We were led to the car that woud take us back home. As it did, Min fell asleep leaning against me.

I didn't know what life has in store for me but as I looked over at Min, the way she slept peacefully, knowing she was safe, I knew it didn't matter. I didn't care as long as I could stay with her forever. I would continue protecting her in every way possible until the day I die.